Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
xaxat

The NBA

14 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Watching "Best of Enemies" -- the Lakers vs. Celtics documentary.

Maybe I'm naive but I was shocked at the racism of the Boston fans during the 1960's. Boston wasn't Birmingham, Alabama. It's a good thing Bill Russell seemed to have a strong sense of self. 

New England racism is interesting. It seems to come from an opposite place to southern racism, in that there were relatively few African-Americans up in the north east, so that sense of 'other' was far stronger.

This crossed over into other sports too. George Preston Marshall, owner of the Boston Braves (who moved to Washington and took an even worse name) refused to have black players, and the Red Sox were the last MLB team to integrate.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

More The Last Dance stuff: Cedric Maxwell and Robert Parish talk shit about MJ:

Parish compares the 84 Celtics to the 96/97 Bulls. Said MJ was a different kind of leader than Larry Bird -- a "bully" and he's not MJ's biggest fan. 

Is there a single person in the NBA who really likes MJ as a person? Doesn't seem there is.

I think Charles Oakley is the one who still seems like a buddy.

31 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

I think Charles Oakley is the one who still seems like a buddy.

Surprisingly, considering how bad the blood was between the Bulls and Knicks in the mid-90s. I guess Jordan finds it easier to forgive considering he was on the winning side.

18 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Watching "Best of Enemies" -- the Lakers vs. Celtics documentary.

Maybe I'm naive but I was shocked at the racism of the Boston fans during the 1960's. Boston wasn't Birmingham, Alabama. It's a good thing Bill Russell seemed to have a strong sense of self. 

I visited Boston back in '69 and experienced racism first hand.  I'll never forget that.

Years later I had to go back for business and I was still cautious.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Yeah, but Rodman was the only one in the documentary who didn't really say or imply Jordan was an asshole. You can like someone and not really talk. 

9 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I visited Boston back in '69 and experienced racism first hand.  I'll never forget that.

New England/New York fans are horrible. Throw in Philadelphia too. 

• Like 3

Finishing up Best of Enemies. I thought it was hilarious that years later it's Kurt Rambis still snorting with anger at Kevin McHale. You never know who's going to take this shit way too personal.

Going through these "30 for 30's." Watching "The Announcement" now about Magic Johnson's HIV diagnosis. I'm not one of those people who believes "everything happens for a reason" but I honestly think, looking back, that if HIV needed a public face, Magic was MEANT to be that public face. To this day he's open and friendly and willing to talk about being HIV+.

Hard to stomach how close-minded people were about the disease back then but he WAS the perfect person to go public with his disease. He didn't do everything right (his ill-advised appearance on Arsenio Hall, ugh) but the fact that he lives a happy, vital life also was the message people needed (and still need). 

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Like 2