Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

Flip Saunders, Timberwolves coach and exec and all around basketball everything for the state of Minnesota, died today

(ETA: Posted simultaneously, sorry! It was just announced by our owner the other day that Flip wouldn't be coming back this season. He'd been hospitalized since September after being diagnosed early summer - it sounds like there were complications with his treatment as originally his diagnosis was good and doctors said his lymphoma was curable and treatable.)

Edited by hendersonrocks

They played the crowd warm up video that the Sacramento Kings use on TV tonight. It is 75% media clips saying that they are dysfunctional organization with little voice overs from the players saying how they are here to play, prove everyone wrong, etc. I see the intent, but it came across as simply a video of what a dysfunctional organization it is.

I am only watching this because Demarcus Cousins always gets frustrated with Blake Griffin owning him and has a meltdown.

Just need to vent, sorry.  I started watching/listening to the Portland Trail Blazers since the days of Clyde Drexler, Terry Porter, Kevin Duckworth, Buck Williams, and Jerome Kersey.  Two of those boys are now dead, RIP.  I gave up on the franchise in the days of weed-head Damon Stoudamire and Mr. "I don't give a fuck about anyone except my family" Rasheed Wallace.  

What helped me walk away was their radio broadcasts that consisted of Mike Rice and Brian Wheeler, or what I came to call the "Homer Homey Clown Show."  Their biggest claim to fame was that Rice couldn't come up with any other adjective except "Really" and Mr. Wheeler's contribution was "That Was A Horrible Call!!!"  

So now that baseball is over and it's been like 12 years, I thought maybe I could rejoin the Blazers as a fan.  Uh, no.  The Homer Homey Clown Show still has a contract. 

Blech.  

Now that we're a week + in to the season any initial thoughts?

My 2 cents are that yes Kobe you do suck. I was listening to Michael and Jemele's podcast and they threw out a stat about how Kobe has jacked up 56 shots compared to him passing the ball 51 times or something along those lines. Not assists mind you, just plain passes. That is just ridiculous even for Kobe.

The Warriors are out for blood, and Im gonna enjoy watching them get it, particularly against the Clips and Rockets. I would love to see them get to 72 (or more) wins and repeat as champs. Steph Curry is on another planet right now.

My Knicks dont look are putrid as I feared. I actually have hope we can make the playoffs. And Porzingus looks like he has a lot of potential. I just hate that we have Lopez on the team. I groan whenever someone passes him the ball. At least with Tyson Chandler, he made up for his offensive deficiencies with great defense...but Lopez lacks that too. Ughh.

Apparently Demarcus Cousins threw a temper tantrum in the locker room (again) and most of it was directed at George Karl (again). Now the Kings ownership is considering firing their coach early in the season (again). What was that about not being completely dysfunctional, Sacramento?  What a disaster.

• Love 1

The Warriors are out for blood, and Im gonna enjoy watching them get it, particularly against the Clips and Rockets. I would love to see them get to 72 (or more) wins and repeat as champs. Steph Curry is on another planet right now.

I know that they're 12-0 right now & will certainly beat the crap out of the sorry Clippers tonight. But, I'm really hoping that they get knock down a peg or two & not repeat. I'm still pissed that the Cavs lost to them in the NBA Finals last June & it pretty infuriating that I have to hear Stephen Curry constant bragging all the time. I still haven't recover from that yet & that is why despite the 8-3 start from the Cavs, I am still not happy about it. 

I know that they're tied for 1st the East with the Bulls & might be 1st overall by the end of the season (playoff seedings now go by record), but its going to mean nothing to me if the Cavs don't win it all this season. Judging by listening to the "experts" on ESPN, they think we might as well just end the season & give the Golden State Warriors the trophy again. 

On a positive note, the Sixers are 0-12 & will definitely be 0-13 when they lose to the Charlotte Hornets. Maybe, tanking another season will actually work in the Sixers favor for a change.

• Love 1

That Warriors/Clippers game last night was absolutely bananas. The Warriors have been pretty sloppy lately but they still somehow manage to put it together enough to come back from a huge deficit and end it so that it feels like the game was never really in question. They're insane right now.

I'm also not sure how Steph saying he has to do better after putting up a 40 point game is bragging. He said something similar after that crazy come from behind Nets game last week too. He's always striving to do better. 

Doubt the Warriors are going to lose a game this year.

Just kidding.

On the one hand, the media pile on with their winning streak is a bit much now, but on the other hand they are that good and Curry, well, let's just say if Jerry West says he's the best pure shooter he's seen...

I enjoy watching the Warriors because even Stephen Curry is part of a well oiled team, hell, I enjoy Stephen's passes more than anything.

Edited by caracas1914

That Warriors/Clippers game last night was absolutely bananas. The Warriors have been pretty sloppy lately but they still somehow manage to put it together enough to come back from a huge deficit and end it so that it feels like the game was never really in question. They're insane right now.

The Clippers were up by 23 in the 2nd Quarter & up by 10 with 5 minutes to go & I still thought that they're going to lose that game. The Clippers are pretty much done for the season since there is no way in hell that they're going to beat the Warriors once the postseason arrives. 

I also don't see any hope for the Bulls beating them tonight. 

I think if the Warriors are able to stay healthy they definitely have a chance at the record and repeating as champs. They were only 5 games off last year and seem to be even more motivated. I think they could really get to their Christmas Day game (against the Cavs) undefeated. That would put them at about 28 wins.

I recall Steph Curry saying after one of the games this year that they dont really call many set plays. Its really just about the flow and what the defense is doing. And like I said before the playoffs last year, for this team to lose, 4 or 5 guys have to be having an off night. They're *that* deep and *that* talented.

With that said, the Clips just dont have what it takes. Forget the 40 points....how do you let Steph get double digit rebounds!

I am impressed with Kristaps Porzingis. He's got a nice all around game. He's good at making free throws, has a jump shot, can shoot from the 3 pt line, and is pretty good at rebounding and blocking. The Knicks are on a 4 game winning streak right now and Kristaps is playing a big role in that. I am interested in seeing how he develops and grows as player. He seems like a nice young man.

Golden State is playing extremely well and is fun to watch.

Also, I am glad that the Pacers won tonight. I am glad that Paul George is back and healthy.

Edited by Jx223

The Sixers are 0-14 & are going to be 0-15 tonight after Andrew Wiggins & Karl Anthony Towns take care of those losers. I hope that the Sixers not only keep this winless streak going (the only thing that is making me happy in this NBA Season), that they also beat that 9-73 record. 

The Warriors are now 15-0 & most certainly will be 16-0 tomorrow night on TNT when they take care of the Lakers. I can't imagine Kobe being very happy about it. He is already unhappy right now having to put up with his teammates in his possibly last season. Speaking of the Lakers, I haven't heard anything about D'Angelo Russell so far this season. 

Edited by Magog

So what will happen first the sixers winning a game or the Warriors losing one?

I wanted to say Sixers will win, but uhh with Jahlil (who's like the only bright spot on the team) getting into some silly fight, possibly getting suspended, it doesn't look to good. How does the GM still have a job, after all this time? It seems like they've been rebuilding for like 5 years now. They shouldnt still be *this* bad.

• Love 2

So what will happen first the sixers winning a game or the Warriors losing one?

I wanted to say Sixers will win, but uhh with Jahlil (who's like the only bright spot on the team) getting into some silly fight, possibly getting suspended, it doesn't look to good. How does the GM still have a job, after all this time? It seems like they've been rebuilding for like 5 years now. They shouldnt still be *this* bad.

I know the assistant GM of the Sixers, and keeps insisting that their plan is to build a young team that will be successful in the long run. Unfortunately, the NBA and basketball fans don't always have the patience (or the money) to allow a team to suck for years. Attendance and revenue go down, talented players don't want to come to the Sixers (or leave via trades or fee agency), and front office people begin to lose jobs. 

• Love 1

I think the Warriors playing on the road in Toronto might be a tough one on Saturday. Or it could be the Cavs Christmas Day. If they manage to get by both of those I dont see another tough game until the Cavs again Jan 18th. By then they'd have shattered the longest win streak in history (33 games) so who knows where their heads will be at. But if they keep blowing teams out with Steph and some of the other starters sitting out the 4th quarter then rest wont be a factor.

Kobe finally makes it official and announced his retirement. Can't say im surprised. He's in the midst of his worse season ever. Let the farewell tour begin.

Edited by FuriousStyles

It will be sad because as long as I can remember, Kobe and Lakers go hand in hand. In this day, it's rare to see someone stay with one team throughout his career. But he has been terrible this year and his body can't keep up. I liked his poem a lot- it was very touching. At least now the Lakers can rebuild and maybe start a new era of not sucking.

Edited by twoods

The Warriors won a close game tonight against the Jazz & they're now 19-0.Even though I'm somewhat impressed that this streak is still going, my irritation towards Stephen Curry keeps on growing. Every time he talks, he rubs me the wrong way & his aw-shucks attitude is pissing me off. I don't know when the Warriors are going to lose their game, but I hope that it comes before Christmas. 

As for the Sixers, they're 0-18 & they play the Lakers tonight. Not only will there be more people at the game rooting for Kobe than the Sixers, but I also want the Sixers to keep on falling flat on their faces. I don't like it when they're in close games during the 4th quarter (like during the last few games) because one of these days, they're going to find a way to win one of those games. 

At least now the Lakers can rebuild and maybe start a new era of not sucking.

I hope that they keep on sucking for a long time. David Stern may be losing sleep over it (though he is retired), Magic Johnson is certainly losing sleep over it, & Stephen A Smith may be losing sleep over this & always showing his anger at Jim Buss, but I'm not. Kobe was their savior when he came there in the mid 90's. I can't imagine who their next savior would be. Whoever it is, I will most certainly root against them. 

As for the Sixers, they're 0-18 & they play the Lakers tonight. Not only will there be more people at the game rooting for Kobe than the Sixers, but I also want the Sixers to keep on falling flat on their faces. I don't like it when they're in close games during the 4th quarter (like during the last few games) because one of these days, they're going to find a way to win one of those games.

The Sixers finally won! It was a good game. Yes, the crowd cheered for Kobe, but people were clearly rooting for the Sixers to win. Every time the Lakers had the ball, though, people kept screaming, "Give it to Kobe!" For once, people wanted Kobe to take every shot.

Kobe clearly isn't the same player he was five years ago, but he still has quickness, agility, and he shoots with a soft touch. Not many of his shots fell, but he still ended up with 20 points. 

There was also a nice tribute to the late Moses Malone, who was on the 76ers championship team in 1983.

As for the Sixers, the individual players are very talented, but at times it looks like they're playing a pick-up basketball game. The players are young and don't have great chemistry yet, but there were flashes of great team play during the game (some alley oops, team fast breaks, etc). 

Did the Sixers win?

YES!!!

I'm oddly conflicted about this.

That's how I started this thread as the Sixers ended their twenty six game losing streak a year and a half ago, and here we are all over again.

As a Sixers' fan, it is kind of depressing. But I survived twenty consecutive losing seasons with the Bucs, so I can honestly say it's not that bad.. The next year will tell if The Process (the nickname give to it by the True Believers) succeeds or fails. Because the Sixers potentially have a ton of draft talent headed their way.

Their own pick. (Hopefully Ben Simmons)

Possibly the Laker pick (top three protected)

Joel Embiid (or maybe not, who knows)

Dario Saric (or maybe not, who knows)

The Miami Heat pick (probably trade bait along with. . ..)

The OKC pick.

• Love 1

I just thought about something. The fact that Tim Duncan outlasted Kobe and still looks great on the floor. I read somewhere he grabbed 18 rebounds the other day, is even more testament to the job Pop has done in managing minutes over the years. Tim is another all time, top 10 player with 5 rings, and he's still going strong despite being a couple years older than Kobe. Incredible.

• Love 2

I am so disappointed that the Sixers won their first game last night. It really made me sick to my stomach. Those Lakers (except for Kobe) should be ashamed of themselves. That losing streak was the only thing making me happy in this early NBA season.  The Warriors going 19-0 (they'll be 20-0 when they take care of the Hornets) does not put a smile on my face. Frankly, listening to Stephen Curry talk is eye-rolling & borderline vomit-inducing. 

The Warriors going 19-0 (they'll be 20-0 when they take care of the Hornets) does not put a smile on my face. Frankly, listening to Stephen Curry talk is eye-rolling & borderline vomit-inducing.

Why is that, Magog? To me, Steph Curry has been propped up as one of the "good guys" of the NBA--family man, no scandals associated with his name, great player. In fact, he seems so clean cut and nice that he's almost boring (Unlike Tim Duncan, whom I've always found interesting despite being mostly non-controversial). 

I think that Steph has reached a point where he's so omnipresent in basketball coverage that there's backlash to the hype. I love the guy and he's singlehandedly got me more interested in the sport and the association than I ever was before, but he's everywhere. With reason, because he's awesome, but that type of buzz is inevitably going to start to turn, especially with people who already don't like the team or are fans of direct competition. Personally, I like the 12 story Steph video board we have here in NYC, 3,000 miles from Oracle Arena. 

• Love 1

Thats because us fans in NY are STILL bummed we were only 1 pick away from being able to draft him for ourselves. Although, im sure Knicks management would have found some way to fuck it up...probably trading him when he was having those ankle issues.

I have always loved Steph. What made me a fan was when he caped up for his teammates and tried to get in Roy Hibbert's face. Hibbert being a good 6 inches taller and a 100 lbs heavier swatted Steph away like he was a mosquito, but the dude showed he had heart. I was like, yeah I like this guy.

I think the media attention comes with winning and its not something he can control. Obviously people are gonna want to talk to him or report on him and the team. So far, IMO he's handled everything beautifully. I just think people are gonna find fault with anything anybody does. Like last year there was some issue with him bringing Riley to the press conferences, even though players have been bringing their kids to those things for years.

• Love 1

Yeah I was going to ask about his kid - is he still bringing her? It would get less cute every year older she got. It's been my only ever side eye at him (don't bring your kid to work, regardless of job) but he seems like a good guy.

• Love 1

The Warriors going 19-0 (they'll be 20-0 when they take care of the Hornets) does not put a smile on my face. Frankly, listening to Stephen Curry talk is eye-rolling & borderline vomit-inducing. 

If you are going to let off court coverage ruin your enjoyment of this team, on a great run, led by a great player operating at an incredible level, then you are missing out on some of the best basketball that has been played.

I love that Steph got to be included in Dell's halftime ceremony last night. He came out from the locker room a little early and for a few minutes sat on the bench, before going over and standing behind his mom and sister and for those few minutes, he wasn't one of the best players in the NBA, he was a son supporting his dad. Then when it was over, he went over and gave his aunties a kiss and headed back to his team. And then put up THAT third quarter.

• Love 1

If the worse problem people have with Stephen Curry is how ubiquitous he's become per the league I can live with that.

What does annoy me is that the last four games of the previous season is officially part of the NBA stats that are included in the GS Warriors win streak (24 as opposed to 20). Technically I get it, but still...

BTW, I realize this is a first world problem problem for other NBA team fans. ; )

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Why is that, Magog? To me, Steph Curry has been propped up as one of the "good guys" of the NBA--family man, no scandals associated with his name, great player. In fact, he seems so clean cut and nice that he's almost boring (Unlike Tim Duncan, whom I've always found interesting despite being mostly non-controversial).

Its bad enough that Stephen Curry & the Warriors beat the Cavaliers last June and that streak of not winning a championship since 1964 (52 yrs) is still going. Now, they're 20-0 & I have to be reminded of that loss in June on a daily basis by his happy-go-lucky, aw shucks attitude of his and his team's hot start. It makes me sick to my stomach. Stephen Curry's demeanor reminds me of Dwight Howard (another NBA player I can't stand) except he is way better than Dwight Howard will ever be. 

I want the Cavaliers to finish the job this season & win it all so ESPN will finally shut up about Cleveland not winning anything since 1964. They always seems to bring it up & they enjoyed it a lot. I didn't hear from them constantly bringing up Golden State not winning anything for 40 yrs (1975) while they're made their title run last season. I'm certain that ESPN is hoping for an NBA Finals rematch so that they can find ways to root for the Warriors like they did last June & have Cleveland suffer even more.

Edited by Magog

Warriors edge Toronto to go 21-0, they got Brooklyn tomorrow to go 22-0 and then Indiana on Tuesday. Circle that one or Boston on Friday. If they get by those two, I like their chances to be undefeated for their Christmas matchup with Cleveland.

This is awesome:

• Love 5

Right now, it is Warriors 79 - Pacers 60 at halftime & this game is basically over. The Celtics might as well lay down & play dead on Friday Night because they also have no chance of beating the Warriors. 

So, I didnt even look at this game as a potential test for the Warriors. No disrespect to PG13 because he's certainly played well all year, but no way did I think the Pacers as a whole were any match for the Warriors, even with them being on such a long road trip. With that said, I was still surprised at how easily this game got out of hand. Warriors up 16 in the 1st...and up close to 30 in the 3rd?

Klay Thompson likes to send out little reminders every so often that he's still part of the best shooting back court in history. Dude went off tonight. I think he finished with 10 3-pointers made and 39 points (didnt score in the 4th mind you).

If (read: when) the Warriors get to Christmas undefeated, that game against the Cavs is gonna be extra hype.

Oh and can ESPN stop including the last couple of regular season wins from last season. No they dont count...its a totally different season.

Edited by FuriousStyles

I'm a Warriors fan, and I'm very glad the streak continues, but the Pacers outscored the Warriors 40-20 in the 4th quarter. Luckily, a buffer had already been built, but watching the lead shrink was quite worrisome.

• Love 1

I'm a Warriors fan, and I'm very glad the streak continues, but the Pacers outscored the Warriors 40-20 in the 4th quarter. Luckily, a buffer had already been built, but watching the lead shrink was quite worrisome.

Yes, and Klay having to come back into the game is why he rolled his ankle.  Hopefully it isn't too bad and he's still able to play on the rest of the road trip.  Having both Klay and Harrison Barnes out won't be good...

The Warriors are just playing on a whole other level from the rest of the league right now.

Its the type of situation where even if they are beating your own team, badly, you just have to sit back and enjoy seeing them play.

I will be shocked if they lose more than 10 games all year. They are not just winning but destroying teams.

I don't really care if they include the wins from last season. They won the last 3 games of the NBA finals anyway, so in actuality, playoffs and regular season, or just regular season-regular season, I think its the same number of games whichever way you do it.