Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

Someone on yahoo sports radio had joked around that LeBron was just going to sign one year contracts and just randomly go to a team and see if he could take them to the Finals. 

(edited)

Congratulations to the Golden State Warriors and their fans. :) They played extremely well all year long and worked hard to win this title. It is a well deserved championship for them. 

The Cavs really impressed me with their scrappiness. They made this series competitive, even if on paper they should have gotten blown out. All those injuries and still went head to head with the best in the league. Lebron really is a beast and hopefully brings a title to Cleveland of the team stays healthy.

ITA. The Cavs did fight pretty hard, but unfortunately they had too many injuries and not enough help offensively. Lebron worked his behind off, but he definitely couldn't do it by himself. I think if Kyrie and Kevin Love had been healthy, they definitely would have had a much better chance of winning. Hopefully they will get healthy next year and that will help Cleveland's chances of winning a title.

Edited by Jx223

Weird MVP choice, though, no?

Not at all. Andre was great on both sides if the ball and Curry was too inconsistent. He had one terrific game and one pretty good one. Andre was great not bitching about his starting position being taken away from him. He deserves it.

I was rooting for GS anyway, and I'm not all Curry 100%. Curry didn't have a monster Finals, but he did pour in a lot of points. I'm not saying "oh Curry got robbed." But "not bitching about not being a starter this season" isn't what makes a Finals MVP either. His free throws were terrible. Good for him for getting 25 in the clincher. It's a great story, and they selected this MVP because of that. It's kind of weird and I think it's a fair criticism. You can't say "not at all" like it's a definitive choice.  

(edited)

Well apparently the voters thought it was definitive. Not one person (11 of them) voted for Steph. 7 voted for Andre and 4 voted for Lebron.

Curry would have been like the safe choice for mvp. I dont think his contribution was as pivotal/critical to them winning as much as Andre. He was actually struggling the first couple of games, and had people thinking Matthew Dellevadova (Stephen A. voice) can actually guard him. Andre guarded Lebron and knocked down a lot of key shots. And I do think him accepting coming off the bench plays a role (albeit small) because that affects team chemistry.

Edited by FuriousStyles

It's kind of weird and I think it's a fair criticism. You can't say "not at all" like it's a definitive choice.

You asked if it was weird, and I said no. I don't know what the big deal is. I get why you think it is because Curry is the obvious choice. I'm just not surprised that it went to someone else who deserved it. I'm sure Curry and Andre could care less, and are happy that they won the championship.

Congrats to the Warriors, even tho I hate that Klay Thompson gets a championship. I just want to punch him in the mouth.

It would've been nice for the fans if they had won at home tho.

And if Andy, Kevin or Kyrie had been healthy, this would not have been close. The CAVS would've blown them out.

Well, that was a disappointing end to the season, but hopefully the Cavs players have the incentive to stay in Cleveland and make another run next year. It's crazy LeBron got the team as close as he did with back-ups on the floor and a triple-double sitting on the bench, in the stands, and at home.

Congrats to the Warriors, even tho I hate that Klay Thompson gets a championship. I just want to punch him in the mouth.

lol. Not that you need one, but is there a reason for this? I havent heard anyone even mention Klay Thompson much less speak bad of him. He's not like an undercover jerk is he?

I think the Cavs will remain in tact. If anything they'll probably get better because now (unlike his first go around) Lebron actually attracts talent TO him. I think whatever negatives there might be playing in Cleveland (small market, owner, weather, whatever) gets smashed by the chance to play with Lebron even if its for lesser money. He's proven that you can pretty much pencil yourself in to the Conference Finals if you're on his team.

This might sound crazy as hell but I think Lebron going to Miami and winning those chips was the best thing to happen to Cleveland. Lebron learned how to win and be a real leader and he was able to show the rest of the league that he's that guy.

This might sound crazy as hell but I think Lebron going to Miami and winning those chips was the best thing to happen to Cleveland. Lebron learned how to win and be a real leader and he was able to show the rest of the league that he's that guy.

Totally agree. His attitude now is light-years ahead of his last time here. He really learned how to be a teammate and leader. Everyone needs a college-type experience.

• Love 2

Glad GS won.  Probably would have been different with a healthy cavs team. 

Don't really care who was given the Finals MVP award. 

Ratings were great for the finals.  This has been a great first year as comissioner for Silver. 

(edited)

I guess my interpretation of MVP is one who is consistent and dominant throughout the entire series. This seemed more like, eh, Curry wasn't that great and LeBron lost, so who else can we give it to? It's a little weird, but I suppose it happens every now and then.

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2

lol. Not that you need one, but is there a reason for this? I havent heard anyone even mention Klay Thompson much less speak bad of him. He's not like an undercover jerk is he?

I think the Cavs will remain in tact. If anything they'll probably get better because now (unlike his first go around) Lebron actually attracts talent TO him. I think whatever negatives there might be playing in Cleveland (small market, owner, weather, whatever) gets smashed by the chance to play with Lebron even if its for lesser money. He's proven that you can pretty much pencil yourself in to the Conference Finals if you're on his team.

Because every time he opens his mouth, he disparages the other team. Grizzlies, Clippers or CAVS.

And even tho I agree that LeBron going to Miami was the best thing for him, I will never forgive him for the way he handled it

The way he handled it was absolutely disgraceful, but I thought his letter announcing his return showed he had matured and regretted that incident. He really seems like a different guy now.

I'm not a Lebron fan, but I acknowledge he's the best player in the world. What's the statute of limitations on The Decision though? No one argues that it wasn't a dumb idea. 

The Statute Of Limitations ends when he brings Cleveland a championship.

In my defense, we did not burn his jersey. We just put it away for 4 years. I wasn't burning $75 up in smoke.

I guess only a fellow Clevelander would understand the pain & the thirst. Or a Cubs fan. LOL

I'm not a Lebron fan, but I acknowledge he's the best player in the world. What's the statute of limitations on The Decision though? No one argues that it wasn't a dumb idea. 

It was exceptionally poor form, though, and sports hate runs deep. My mom would turn up her nose whenever she saw one of Rick Barry's kids in a game, because of his refusal to play for the ABA Squires on the grounds that he didn't want his children growing up saying "y'all".

• Love 2

Yeah, I'm not arguing it was poor form. It was a jerk move from an immature kid for the most part. The guy came back and basically got the Cavs into a best out of 3 series against the best team in the league in his first year of return. I mean, come on, if that doesn't buy a shred of good will. Players have done far far worse. It's not like he's a criminal or beat his kids. 

(edited)

I guess only a fellow Clevelander would understand the pain & the thirst. Or a Cubs fan. LOL

Or a Bills fan :(

After how Lebron handled himself this year I don't hate him as much. He has matured and really does want to see his teammates do well. I wish Kobe was that good in that sense.

Edited by twoods

Well, if there anything good that came out of the Cavs losing to the Warriors in 6 games (It was next to impossible for me to think of one) is that were now favorites to win it all next yr. Of course its way too early for that & I don't know what's going to happen in the offseason. Plus, we need to stay healthy & not have much bad luck.

Odds to win 2015-16 NBA Title at this moment.

Cavaliers 9-4

Warriors 5-1

Thunder 5-1

Clippers 10-1

Spurs 12-1

Bulls 12-1

Or a Bills fan :(

Its now been 52 yrs since Cleveland last won a title (1964 Browns) & I'm really hoping that they'll win it all before the Knicks do. Its kind of easy (though painful) rooting for these type of teams than rooting for the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, & Knicks.

Speaking of the Knicks, Steve Kerr must be thanking his lucky stars right now that he didn't take the Knicks head coaching job. Things would be a lot different right now if he was in New York right now.

I don't have a problem with Iguadola getting the MVP. He certainly deserved it, though I would rather give it to Riley Curry if Iguadola wasn't in option. She didn't annoy me as much as Stephen Curry did.

(edited)

Someone on yahoo sports radio had joked around that LeBron was just going to sign one year contracts and just randomly go to a team and see if he could take them to the Finals.

I heard someone on ESPN saying basically the same thing but I don't think he was joking.

Basically said Lebron may opt to sign a series of just one year contracts with the Cavs to keep the pressure on them to keep talent around him. If things decline he can opt out and go elsewhere at any time.

Well, if there anything good that came out of the Cavs losing to the Warriors in 6 games (It was next to impossible for me to think of one) is that were now favorites to win it all next yr. Of course its way too early for that & I don't know what's going to happen in the offseason. Plus, we need to stay healthy & not have much bad luck.

Odds to win 2015-16 NBA Title at this moment.

Cavaliers 9-4

Warriors 5-1

Thunder 5-1

Clippers 10-1

Spurs 12-1

Bulls 12-1

Its now been 52 yrs since Cleveland last won a title (1964 Browns) & I'm really hoping that they'll win it all before the Knicks do. Its kind of easy (though painful) rooting for these type of teams than rooting for the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, & Knicks.

Speaking of the Knicks, Steve Kerr must be thanking his lucky stars right now that he didn't take the Knicks head coaching job. Things would be a lot different right now if he was in New York right now.

I don't have a problem with Iguadola getting the MVP. He certainly deserved it, though I would rather give it to Riley Curry if Iguadola wasn't in option. She didn't annoy me as much as Stephen Curry did.

I am surprised the Bulls are that high. Unsure if Butler will be back. A new coach. There is the neverending question of how long Rose can stay healthy. My impression is the Bulls may have peaked and missed their window. I am sure they will still be good, but second best in the East? I just seee a whole lot of teams that are closing on them or catching up to them. The Heat in particular if healthy will be great again, plus the Pacers get Paul George back and a #11 pick this year, which could be big depending on how the draft falls.

I realize GS changed coaches last year in a similar fashion and was successful, but its rare for that to happen.

I do like seeing new or long suffering teams win though. Its great for the leagues when that happens. I could write a whole essay on this topic, on how the NFL between 1999 and 2015 has had an explosion of new champions and teams making a first time SB appearance as the league became the far dominant american sport. The NBA has the chance to see a similar sort of pattenr over the next 10 years. GS winning or Cleveland, or the LA Clippers getting a first title or the always the bridesmaid Pacers finally finding a win to win it all if they could add 1 or 2 more just key players would be great for the league, better than seeing the Celtics or the Lakers returning to dominance

Edited by DrSpaceman
(edited)

I really didnt see what the big deal was about "the Decision" other than the actual decision. Had he went on tv and said he's keeping his talents at home NOBODY would be complaining about what poor form it was. The story would have been about what a hometown hero he is, how he made so much money for the Boys&Girls Club, and whatever else. So to me it seemed like it wasnt so much the theatrics of it but rather the actual decision. And while every fan had a right to be upset, things went wayyy left, in my opinion, when people started buring his jerseys and driving past his house threatening his family. Before that point I didnt even like Lebron, but seeing what we went through (self-inflicted obviously) made me feel sorry for him and then eventually he apologized, owned his mistake, and I came to root for him, especially during the 2nd championship, because I just despise the Spurs.

It was a no brainer for Steve Kerr to go to GS. I dont think he seriously considered joining the Knicks. Terrible team, terrible owner, soon-to-be labeled terrible President. We're a mess with no end in sight, which is par for the course.

And so long as Lebron wants to rent his talents from year to year, I'll gladly throw the Knicks hat into the ring. Come on Bron Bron forget everything I just said in the last paragraph and join one of your bffs in the big Apple.

Seriously though, Lebron isnt going anywhere. He's got his rings, guaranteeing he wont go down as the best to never win, which to me was his ultimate fear. Now that that is out of the way, he can focus on bringing a championship to Cleveland, and if that story is true about him signing one year deals to keep pressure on management than bravo. They took him granted the first time, so he's making sure they dont do it again.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 1

For me, it was the theatrics.  I remember telling my husband before the show came on and he expressed his concern about his choice, "LeBron has to be staying because why would he want to be cruel by making such a big production about leaving?  It would be such a huge slap in the face to a city and fans who have done nothing but love him."  Five minutes later he just looked at me.  The next week I went to a doctor's office and found an old copy of Sports Illustrated with his quote on the cover about not leaving Cleveland without a championship because he owed the city and fans so much.  I understood his leaving, but he made it a public spectacle when Cleveland gets publicly ridiculed all the time.

That's why I was so happy when he made his decision to return with a thoughtful paragraph - no lights, smokes, and fireworks.

I will be curious to see what he does this year.  I can't remember if the cap rules change this year or next, but the expectation is most will opt out and wait until the rules change in their favor.

Here here, CRS97!

We've had other big names leave: Thome, Vizquel, Manny, Bernie (not his choice, however). None of them thought they had to get on National TV & break our hearts so publicly.

And every time one of those superstars came back to Cleveland as a member of a rival, we might've slightly booed them, but we never burnt their jerseys.

The phrase "taking his talents to South Beach" did him no favors.  It's like he didn't even have a PR rep.

Apparently the Lakers are trying to get DeMarcus Cousins from Sac. Please, have at him.  That guy is cancer to the team.  Terrible attitude.  Excellent natural talent, but cannot focus enough to just PLAY and not piss and moan all over.  

• Love 2

The local Sacramento sports news last night was saying, "No way in hell the Kings are trading Cousins, and especially not to the Lakers.  Vlade Divac is adamant that that isn't going to happen."  And then today, the Sacramento Bee is reporting that not only is George Karl eager to get rid of Cousins, he wants Rudy Gay to go, too.

• Love 1

If quality players are gained in return, I agree with Coach Karl. While Cousins plays with all heart and no brains, Rudy plays with seemingly no heart. He is also very talented, but appears low-effort.

Cousins very classily tweeted snake and grass emojis in response. This all bodes horribly for the organization. Massive dysfunction across the board.

As an aside, Coach Karl is living near me this summer. Perhaps I will yell out the window toward his Audi SUV that I support him next time I pull next to him at the stop sign :)

• Love 1

I was puzzled by the Karl hire. Ranadive, the Kings' owner is pretty revolutionary in his basketball philosophy. Karl is not. 

Given that Ranadive is pretty hands on, it didn't seem like a good fit.

• Love 1
(edited)

I know its popular/common to blame the player when the player/coach dynamic is off.  But to me this all falls of Karl and even management.  Karl, to me, came in with an agenda to get rid of Cousins.  Everybody knew these two were going to clash, so why if you're management do yo bring in Karl in the first place, especially when it seems he's not even going to try to make things work?  

I don't mean to diminish to work of a coach, but there were TWO rookie coaches in the finals this year.  And not saying you can just slide in any old coach and be successful, you certainly don't need an ornery "set in my ways" kind of guy either.  Cousins is like what 24? 25? and already a guaranteed 25 and 10 guy, and that's when he's taking multiple plays at a time off and being disengaged.  Imagine what he would do if he was actually focused and comfortable.  At this point, IMO, the Kings have to trade him.  He's not happy, Karl is not going to make him happy, and so they might as well try to get something, anything for him...even if it means trading him to the hated Lakers for the 2nd pick.  If not, you risk him regressing and turning into Lance Stevenson, just falling off the map (and losing value)....or worse getting injured.

Edited by FuriousStyles
(edited)

I agree with you in the sense that Mike Malone seemed like he was actually getting somewhere with Cousins. Even Ranadive now admits that Malone's firing was a mistake. Cousins is still
poison though. He is a mess in international summer play too.

Sacramento is stuck with Ranadive's decisions for awhile... He single handily kept the only professional team in Sac from imminent departure and local media cannot stop thanking him. All of the staffing decisions have been so weird though... Vlade is calling the shots? Just, no.

The only player worth holding onto in my opinion is Ben McLemore. I think he has a ton of potential, way moreso than my beloved co-alumnus Stauskas (sorry, Nik).

ETA today that this is now getting ridiculous:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13148737/sacramento-kings-owner-vivek-ranadive-considering-firing-coach-george-karl

Edited by AndreaK1041

Nobody the Knicks chose stood a chance of not being boo'ed. Not getting the 1st or even 2nd pick really soured us on the whole thing. I know nothing about the guy they chose...Presingus? I think I heard a story about him saying he'll be happy to have access to a gym 24/7 (or was that someone else?). If it is the same guy, then thats a good sign. We need a guy who's hungry to get better.

Im willing to give this kid a shot. Hopefully he's a fast learner, because I dont see Melo lasting at his level past a few more years. Im curious to see what else Phil is going to do this off season

See I can understand the Sixers fans getting annoyed that they took another big man, but if Jah is there, you take him. I think the Lakers were foolish to pass him by.

If Jerian Grant really goes to New York, they've finally done something right.

(edited)

I'm really surprised Justise Winslow has fallen this far. However the Knicks fans reaction to their pick is so amusing.

I definitely think he should have been drafted higher, but what a gift for the Miami Heat. He fell right into their laps. I think that he could end up being a really good fit for that team.

Edited by Jx223

Hornets fans are pissed they didn't take Winslow, even though I think Kaminsy is going to be a good player.

Plus reportedly they passed up an offer of 6 draft picks from the Celtics, which they wanted to use on Winslow.

This sounds dumb at first, but draft picks in the NBA arent always that great a commodity. They were likely lottery protected, which in many cases make them virtually worthless. Its a crapshoot getting talent outside the top 10 in the draft.

(edited)

Free Agency has started today & Kevin Love decided to stay with the Cavaliers (5 yrs worth $110 M) instead of possibly going to the Lakers (which a lot of people were thinking of that happening). Hopefully, Tristan Thompson will be the next person to stay with the Cavs. Jimmy Butler is staying with the Bulls (5 yrs worth $90 M) with Mike Dunleavy is also staying with the Bulls (3 yr deal), and the Pelicans signed Anthony Davis for 5 yrs worth $145 M. I'm sure that the Lakers are licking their chops on getting this guy in 5 yrs. Danny Green & Kwahi Leonard are staying with the Spurs. Paul Millsap is staying with the Hawks. De Marrie Carroll is going to the Raptors (4yrs worth $60 M) Damian Lillard is staying with the Blazers. And last but not least, Paul Pierce decided to go to the LA Clippers instead of staying with the Wizards. 

So far, the Lakers hasn't gotten anyone yet. Stephen A Smith & Laker cheerleader Magic Johnson are certainly not happy about it. I'm surprised that they haven't gotten anyone yet. I thought that a bunch of free agents would be falling all over themselves playing with Kobe in his final season & future star in the making, De Angelo Russell. 

As for the NBA Draft, I'm very happy that Andrew Wiggins got himself a reliable sidekick like Karl Anthony Towns. Hopefully, they both can make the Timberwolves relevant. I like Andrew Wiggins a lot & I will root for him to do well in the NBA (hopefully not going to Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, Bulls, or Rockets in the future). I still wish that he was with the Cavs right now. He would of contribute this season. 

I was laughing at the Knicks (especially their fans) for picking Porzingis. He seems like a nice guy, but he's going to play with a bunch of losers next season. I don't know why Melo is irritated about that. All he has to do is look at how much money is left at his contract (4 yrs at around $100 M) & that should make him feel better. 

Edited by Magog
(edited)

Yeah Melo has no reason to be upset. He knew the team was garbage and stayed because we offered the most money. He certainly didnt give us any discounts to free up some extra cash for other players so he should just take his $130 million and go sit down somewhere. There is nobody in this draft that was gonna come in right off the bat and turn the team around from jump, so I dont know what he's mad about. Perzingus or however you spell is, is as good a pick as any other player available in terms of potential, so we'll just have to wait and see. Me personally, im actually optimistic about what's been going on so far this off season, simply from the standpoint that others have been so negative about it. If the Knicks fandom like it, then it cant be good.

This new tv deal everyone is talking about is gonna make these player deals insane. We're already kind of seeing it happen. Anthony Davis signs for like what is it $29 million a year! Even a couple years ago when Kobe (a proven winner several times over) was making that much, it was eye-popping. Now everyone is like, meh,in a few years it'll be a bargain. Crazy. Then I just saw Brook Lopez signed a 3 year $60 million deal. Brook Lopez will be making $20 million a year. Brook Lopez?!.....we talking about Brook Lopez (Iverson voice). What is the new benchmark for superstar money? $35-$40 million a year?

P.S. Glad Paul Pierce went to the Clips. Now I can go back to loathing them.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 2

There's some speculation that the owners will be locking out the players heading into the next CBA because they are tired of paying these contracts that are getting ever bigger with the new TV money. I think there will be a lockout, but it will be because of the player opt out clauses that all of the stars are negotiating.

I can see the billionaire owners being furious at the way guys like LeBron have worked the system to their advantage.

Ranadive, Karl, Boogie, Rondo, Vlade. . . 

That could be a trainwreck of Isiah Thomas/Stephon Marbury Knicks or McGee/Blatche/Swaggy P Wizards propotions.

• Love 1

They aren't winning a championship next year and few will talk about them, but the Pacers have done a remarkable job in this free agency period.

Signed a better shooting guard in Monta Ellis

RId themselves of an offensive liability and team cancer in Hibbert, along with his huge contract

Will miss David West, but between Hibbert and West that is $27million that can be used elsewhere

They get Paul George back. They retain Stuckey. I assume they will go after another center with the saved money, a veteran to fill in while the drafted centered from Texas, I can't recall his name now, learns the ropes.

They never sign or attract top tier free agents. But moves like this keep them competitive at least

And while the East may not be a great conference, the Central division is pretty brutal between a solid Indiana, up and coming Milwaukee plus Cleveland and Chicago now.

Pacers have had the misfortune in the past 30 years of having the best players of their generation in the same division for about 20-25 of those years.