Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

Great win for the Raptors. Once again they were impressive and played very well overall. Kawhi Leonard and Serge Ibaka in a particular played well for them tonight. They are now one game away from winning their first NBA Championship. I hope they win it. 

3-1.  Can they pull this out, or will they choke like the last KD-led Thunder team?

Both teams play great team ball. But Toronto was the better team tonight. 

(edited)
5 minutes ago, topanga said:

3-1.  Can they pull this out, or will they choke like the last KD-led Thunder team?

Both teams play great team ball. But Toronto was the better team tonight. 

I hope they don't choke and end up winning this series and the championship. They have played well in this series. I am have been really impressed by them in this series and in the playoffs in general. They have been resilient in these playoffs (when they were down in 2 series)  and in this series they have looked really good. 

2 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

My question is, are the American sportcasters taking the Raptors seriously now? Or are they still predicting that Golden State will take it any game now?

I believe that at least some of the sportscasters are taking them seriously. (Maybe a lot) Some of the people from the ESPN/ABC crew predicted the Raptors were going to win this series before it even started. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

My question is, are the American sportcasters taking the Raptors seriously now? Or are they still predicting that Golden State will take it any game now?

Unfortunately I can hear the excuses already being lined up for Golden State when they (knock on wood) lose the Finals. They were tired. Durant was out for the series. I don't feel sorry for them being bit with the injury bug all at once when they have been incredibly lucky injury-wise all throughout the playoffs in the last five years. Both in terms of their own teams and injuries to key players on the opposing teams.

• Love 5
(edited)

Amazing game by the Raps, weathered the early storm by the Dubs and then Kawhi and Serge Ibaka of all people just took control in the third. I really expected Klay and Curry to assert themselves in this game and take it, but very pleased to see it break the other way. 

The Raptors are one win from the NBA Championship. 

THE RAPTORS are ONE WIN away from the NBA Championship. 

THE RAPTORS ARE ONE WIN AWAY FROM THE NBA CHAMPIONSHIP.

Stay freaking hyped Toronto. North Over Everything. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 7
(edited)
17 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

The owner that shoved Kawhi deserved what he got, but it really was not much of a "push", from what I saw in the video. 

He shoved Kyle and yelled "Go fuck yourself" at him numerous times.  He deserves to go to hell.  (...just my opinion)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, ganesh said:

It was my understanding that the guy was pushing him so KL didn't crash into the woman next to him, but I didn't see it. 

No, that's not what happened.

6 hours ago, cleo said:

There are terrible fans everywhere, unfortunately . Someone in Toronto made derogatory comments about Steph's wife and was charged. 

He's an owner.  He's not just a fan.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

He shoved Kyle and yelled "Go fuck yourself" at him numerous times.  He deserves to go to hell.  (...just my opinion)

I didn't realize he yelled that at him initially, I just saw the video and a light shove. 

If that is true, then he got off easy so far and should have to sell his shares of the team.  You can't have that from an owner, either in private or in the middle of the game. 

Toronto is just outplaying GS right now.  I never would have said this a week ago, but I don't see how GS wins this unless Durant comes back for the rest of the series and is reasonably healthy to play. 

• Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, Maximum Taco said:

Amazing game by the Raps, weathered the early storm by the Dubs and then Kawhi and Serge Ibaka of all people just took control in the third. I really expected Klay and Curry to assert themselves in this game and take it, but very pleased to see it break the other way. 

Wow. Seeing all of those Raptors fans singing the Canadian National Anthem after Games 3 & 4 was really breathtaking. It was a great way to (hopefully) close out Roaracle. Then seeing Stephen Curry taking that walk of shame to the locker room after that Game 4 loss definitely put a smile on my face. I can't wait for him & those Warriors to take another walk of shame to the locker room if they lose on Monday Night.

Hopefully, the Raptors will be ready to take care of business on Monday Night & not give those Warriors any sign of hope of winning the Finals. Because I know that those Warriors are not going down without a fight.

Toronto is just outplaying GS right now.  I never would have said this a week ago, but I don't see how GS wins this unless Durant comes back for the rest of the series and is reasonably healthy to play.

Even if Durant somehow comes back, I'm not sure if that's going to be enough to make the comeback. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1

I'm wondering if anyone noticed on TV the couple courtside row three behind the Raptors bench wearing .........Lebron James Laker's jerseys!!! 

I was baffled by this.  Those tickets are like $5K.  Are they really not GS or Toronto fans and decided just to blow thousands of dollars on a pair of tickets for this game?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Probably.  I have a cousin who does the summer ballpark tours and wears his Cubs jersey to every place.  They probably love the sport, are rich enough to afford those crazy tickets, and are Lakers fanatics.

(edited)
45 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I haven't  heard any audio of that being said.   If there is proof of that being said, then I would be interested in hearing it.   He said, he said, situations aren't proof.

But why disbelieve the victim of the violence as a default?  There is no second "he said".  Nobody, absolutely nobody, is denying what the owner said to Kyle.  The Warriors organization took full responsibility and acted on it.  So, why wouldn't we believe it?  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Having a player diving into a group of fans during game play is likely to piss people off.   

It happens to wealthy, important people all of the time and people don't react like this.  It happened to Chrissy Teigen and John Legend the other week.  They laughed it off and it became a meme.  People sit there knowing full well the consequences.  How many games have Spike Lee, Larry David, etc. attended?  If a player crashes into them they're allowed to react this way?  No.  While watching basketball I've only ever seen the audience try to help the player up, which is what everyone except that owner did.

SEI_61423858.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, cleo said:

I'm going to the game Monday. I'm so fucking excited. It's actually my first live game, I figured it was a good one to pick. 

Wow! Exciting!

I heard that the tickets in Toronto are so expensive that the reason there were so many Canadians at the games Oakland is that it was cheaper fly to Oakland and get tickets for the games there than to buy ones for a Toronto game.

5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I haven't  heard any audio of that being said.   If there is proof of that being said, then I would be interested in hearing it.   He said, he said, situations aren't proof.

The news station repsorted that he had been fined for shoving and swearing. Presumably the NBA verified it before the press release.

• Love 3
(edited)

There were tix avail this morning for 2000-3000 US. And up of course, but I think those were the cheapest. There may have been some bad seats for under 2000. Not sure what they were in Oakland, but things are usually more expensive here. 

There are people lining up NOW in Jurassic Park. I actually find that crazier but good for them. 

I watched almost all the playoff games from home. It was a very spontaneous decision to go! 

Edited by cleo
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Having a player diving into a group of fans during game play is likely to piss people off.   Those seats shouldn't have been there in the first place.   Someone could have easily gotten hurt.  Anyone sitting in the middle of that second row has nowhere to escape.  The NBA Commissioner needs to have those seats removed before someone gets hurt.

In general, many people say things in the heat of the moment that they most likely wouldn't say at any other time.   If they start going down the road of forcing owners to sell their shares of a team for certain language being used, it won't be much longer before players are being booted from the league for similar behavior.

The heat of what moment though?  Leonard didn't fall into him in the seats, it was the people next to him.  There was no need for that guy to say or do anything in that situation and he chose to shove him and possible yell obscenities at him.  He should have just stayed out of it

You can't have an owner shouting obscenities at a player, especially not in public, on video, for basically no reason

Now who knows if that happened.  You can't hear anything on the video, you only see what happened.  But if it did, there is no excuse for it. 

You can yell a players, that happens in basketball with courtside seats, but the league does need to draw the line at shouting obscenities and racial slurs for no reason whatsoever. 

• Love 3

Jalen Rose reported he saw Durant trying to work out over the weekend and doesn't see any way he will play soon.  Stated it didn't go well at all. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/jalen-rose-says-saw-durant-045157441.html

If that is true, I think the Warriors lose in 5 or 6 games.  They might be able to pull one game out like they did in game two with a strong stretch of D and solid play from starters, but they just don't have the depth on this team anymore to compete with the second units. 

Toronto has just outplayed them this series, all there is too it. 

And win or lose, I am assuming Durant will not stay in GS, that has been obvious for a year or so.  GS is going to have to revamp this team in the offseason either way.  They have to get much better beyond the core of Green, Klay, assuming he stays with a new max contract and Steph.  They really are in for an overall this offseason regardless of how this series ends. 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman said:

The heat of what moment though?  Leonard didn't fall into him in the seats, it was the people next to him. 

Again, it was Kyle Lowry, and Kawhi Leonard was not involved.  They are different people.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
(edited)
15 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Innocent until proven guilty.   At what point did things change in the U.S. where people have to prove themselves innocent?  Granted this isn't a court of law.  Still, it is a pretty scary proposition if people are assumed guilty and have to prove their innocence.

The incident was on camera.  It's really weird you would doubt Kyle's telling of the events in my opinion as zero people have come out negating it.  The owner himself has not negated saying anything.  Why would we presume him innocent.

D8bKmOJWwAEaPAY.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Again, it was Kyle Lowry, and Kawhi Leonard was not involved.  They are different people.

Sorry......just mixed them up, but doesn't really matter to the larger point

• Love 1
(edited)

KD upgraded to questionable after (allegedly) practicing today. 

But various reports say the Dubs were not on the floor long and Durant was on the floor the least of any of them and entered the floor with a limp, and left icing his calf and ankle. The media was asked to leave as soon as he took the floor and did not get to see him practice (if in fact he actually did.)

Gotta wonder if this is just some gamesmanship from Kerr, but it doesn't seem as if that's gonna work against the Kawhiborg and his band of robo-dinosaurs. 

Very interested to see if KD plays in Game 5, and more importantly just how much he plays. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1

I think Durant will try to play tonight.  At this point, down 3-1, its now or possible never for the season. 

How effective he will be and how much he is just used as a decoy, that will remain to be seen until game time. 

Kevin Durant is playing tonight and now the Warriors are actually favored to win this game. I hope that the Raptors close things out and win this game tonight. If not I hope it doesn't go any longer than Game 6 and that they still win the championship. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

Kevin Durant is playing tonight and now the Warriors are actually favored to win this game. I hope that the Raptors close things out and win this game tonight. If not I hope it doesn't go any longer than Game 6 and that they still win the championship. 

If Toronto doesn’t let GS affect them mentally, I think they can pull it out. 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Cheering because an opposing team member got injured on the court? Real classy, Toronto. Jeez, your desperation for a win is bringing out the ugly. 

I know right?

People in the bar I'm in cheered. Real ugly look, and I'm just mortified. 

Please know we aren't all classless jerks. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Maximum Taco said:

Please know we aren't all classless jerks. 

I know. Just disgusted with anyone who cheered, and there were far too many. They're either all assholes, or don't know how this all works because they didn't even bother buying a Raptors jersey and jumping on the bandwagon until game 3 or 4, but you just don't cheer for injuries. That's a big no-no. This isn't a damn hockey game. 😕

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Cheering because an opposing team member got injured on the court? Real classy, Toronto. Jeez, your desperation for a win is bringing out the ugly. 

Really?  I heard that the Raptors fans were chanting "KD" and that Green and Lowry told the fans to NOT cheer as he was being carried off because it would look impolite.

Seems like it started out ugly and progressively got better

Realizing what was going on, many of the Raptors in the game at the time — led by Kyle Lowry — motioned to the fans to stop and could be seen checking in on Durant. Eventually, those in attendance changed their tune as they began to chant ‘KD’.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I had a feeling that the Raptors were going to lose tonight. They were bit shaky throughtout this game, especially after KD got injured. Kawhi did a nice job of trying to get them the win at the end but the Warriors did enough to win. I hope that the Raptors win game 6. I do not want this series got to a Game 7. It's going to be very energetic in Oracle Arena, being that Game 6 really will be the last time the Warriors play in that arena. 

I wish KD a healthy recovery. I Think he wasn't ready to come back and may have felt pressured to do so. 

• Love 3
Just now, Magog said:

GOD DAMN IT!! Evil is still alive & well. 

lol. I had a feeling this was going to happen. I want the Raptors to get the Warriors up out of here.

• Love 1
(edited)

I feel like the Raptors got a bit aimless in this game, for some reason. I felt like in stretches in this game there wasn't enough urgency to finish off the Warriors. And I think that hurt them. They didn't end up retaking the lead until very late. Overall, I still like the way they have been playing and hope they win the championship. They won't mess around and have this go to a Game 7.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 3
(edited)

I knew that those scummy Warriors would not go down without a fight tonight & Mr. Smug Bastard & his wretched assistant (Klay Thompson) got it done with their season on the line. DeMarcus Cousins (gag) was also a big help tonight. Durant really got them going early before he left with that injury. 

I feel like the Raptors got a bit aimless in this game, for some reason. I felt like in stretches in this game there wasn't enough urgency to finish off the Warriors. And I think that hurt them. They didn't end up retaking the lead until very late.

I knew that game was not over at 3 minutes left & the Raptors were very sloppy when it really counts during those last 3 minutes letting those scummy Warriors off the hook. Now, I have to deal with a Game 6 on Thursday Night with those Warriors being very confident. The Raptors better not mess this up. I want the 2016 Cavaliers to remain the only team that came back from 3-1 in the NBA Finals.

ESPN is absolutely thrilled about this. They want those Warriors to win that game & the series by any means necessary.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 3

Kudos to GSW for pulling it out. I don't think the Raps played very well. I don't know why Durant was on the floor. He obviously wasn't ready. I wonder if they think it was worth it. I assume his injury is worse now. 

• Love 1
Just now, Magog said:

I knew that those scummy Warriors would not go down without a fight tonight & Mr. Smug Bastard & his assistant (Klay Thompson) got it done with their season on the line. DeMarcus Cousins (gag) was also a big help tonight. Durant really got them going early before he left with that injury. 

I knew that game was not over at 3 minutes left & the Raptors were very sloppy when it really counts during those last 3 minutes letting those scummy Warriors off the hook. Now, I have to deal with a Game 6 on Thursday Night with those Warriors being very confident. The Raptors better not mess this up. I want the 2016 Cavaliers to remind the only team that came back from 3-1 in the NBA Finals.

ESPN is absolutely thrilled about this. They want those Warriors to win that game & the series by any means necessary.

I think that media as a whole is thrilled by this.I do think that many of them support the Warriors way more than they do the Raptors. And they like to see the same results over and over again. Often many in the media are always rooting for the same teams to constantly win/dominate. 

Also, some of the people in the media were trying to complain how thing weren't fair without KD playing. It's unfortunate that he's injured but teams have injuries all the time. And the Warriors have benefited multiple times playing against injured teams. (Cavs, Rockets, Spurs) It's the type of thing that unfortunately is apart of the game. 

Hopefully the Raptors will win game 6. They don't need to see it extended beyond that. Players like Steph and Klay are capable of putting together big games, and GS could still potentially extend/win this series. Here's hoping that doesn't happen.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Magog said:

Well, they didn't pass their supposed hidden agenda onto the refs, so.... 

• Love 4
(edited)

Damn, I was hoping Toronto would pull this off but there is no way the Warriors are going to lose game 6 and Toronto may choke game 7 away and the Warriors will be champs again. At least I’m expecting it this time.

Screw all those pundits who wanted KD to come back when he wasn’t ready and were questioning his heart in this series. Now he’s even more injured than he was before (looked to be his Achilles?), which isn’t fair to him or his teammates. He has given a lot to the Warriors and I couldn’t understand why people were questioning his calf injury. I didn’t see the clip of Toronto fans cheering his injury but I did see the “KD” chant one which was nice and showing there are definitely some classy fans to overcome the trashy ones that cheered his injury. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

Those fans cheering are absolute garbage. I would have been happy for the Raptors if they won, before this. Now I hope an angry Warriors team stuffs them, and Kawhi (another mercenary, who somehow avoids criticism) goes to LA.

As for Durant playing? Sure, there was pressure on him to play from the media, and perhaps from teammates and coaches too. But I imagine the most pressure came from KD himself. He'll have wanted to play, desperately. Especially if this was potentially his last game in a Warriors uniform.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Considering that one of their OWNERS both physically and verbally assaulted one of the Raptors at Golden State, I don't think the Warriors have the moral high ground here.  There has been more than enough ugly from both sides.

• Love 16

Figured Toronto wouldn't close it out.  For me, a Raptors choke job would be almost as entertaining as a Raptors victory.

Regardless, this looks like the end of the KD Warriors. Which is a good thing for anyone outside the Bay area.  The Dubs will still be great .... they just won't be unbeatable.

3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Considering that one of their OWNERS both physically and verbally assaulted one of the Raptors at Golden State, I don't think the Warriors have the moral high ground here.  There has been more than enough ugly from both sides.

One asshole billionaire showing his true colors vs thousands of cheering fans? Nope.

• Love 1

I don't think all 12000 fans were cheering KDs injury. For those that did, they might be ashamed but they won't be and nothing can change that.

The owner has a position of power and influence which fans really don't, no matter how loud they shout. I find that much worse than typically awful fan behavior. JMHO.

• Love 7
On 6/7/2019 at 8:46 PM, statsgirl said:

I was happy to hear Chauncey's words about how everyone (including his on air colleagues) are asking "what is wrong with the warriors". He said a lot of what is wrong with GS is what Toronto is making them do wrong. It's lazy analysis and pot stirring to ask what's wrong with x player or x team" that ignores and largely dismisses the opponent(s) impact on said player or team.

• Love 2