Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

On 10/24/2018 at 12:54 PM, doodlebug said:

Yes, but, when he first played for the Cavs back in his early days, he once attended a Cleveland-Yankees playoff game in Cleveland wearing a Yankees cap.  I was there and it did not go over well.  LeBron's explanation was that he was from Akron, not Cleveland, and that he grew up rooting for the Yankees because they were winners and the Indians weren't.  Not his finest moment.  He grew up (and probably got better PR advice) when he went to Miami and, when he returned, he was all-Cleveland all the time.

As far as the Dodgers cap, he is playing there, they are in the World Series.  I've got no problem with him showing support for the baseball team where he is currently working and I don't think most of Cleveland cares one way or the other either.  Now, if he were playing for the Celtics and had worn a Red Sox cap; Cleveland would not be so forgiving.

And don't forget the "interlocking NY" cap he wore a number of years ago. 

Wow, you hate the Knicks with a passion too. 

They're a team in full rebuild mode, with some young players who have potential but aren't there yet, and their one star out injured. They're odds on for a lottery pick. Hardly surprising that they get tatered by the best team in the league, is it? ....Danny Franks

I am guessing no one in the NBA fandom even knows that there is another team in NYC  that is playing fairly good ball these days. They don't always play great like the Celtics game and last night's Orlando game (comeback from 21 points down) but they find ways to win and are finally one over .500. The Knicks can lose every game from now until the end and the Nets could get a playoff spot and the media would still treat the Knicks as the biggest story in town. I have no illusions of a deep playoff run or of them even making it but they play hard and look like they are having fun. I wonder what will happen when Caris Levert returns. It fun so far.

That was another good game for the Thunder/Sixers, especially the end. These two teams have had some entertaining games against each other these past couple of seasons. Paul George did a nice job of coming up clutch at the end to help OKC win it. I was concerned at how OKC has been struggling their last several games. This was a needed win for them, they had lost 5 of the last 6 games before this one. I hope they can get back to winning consistently again. I don't want them to continue to lose a lot of games against teams they should beat. (Like they did last year.)

• Love 1

I’m surprised the Lakers kept up with the Rockets. Does Harden always get so many fouls called on him when he flails around in the paint? I should be happy they are keeping up with good teams with (now) three of their top players injured. 

On 1/20/2019 at 12:03 AM, twoods said:

I’m surprised the Lakers kept up with the Rockets. Does Harden always get so many fouls called on him when he flails around in the paint?

Last year the league made it a point of officiating emphasis based on his ability to draw fouls based on contact he initiated.

• Love 1

According to Adrian Wojnarowski and sources from ESPN, the Rockets have agreed to send Carmelo Anthony and cash to the Bulls. The Bulls are expected to waive or trade Melo before the February 7th trade deadline.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25818953/houston-rockets-agree-deal-carmelo-anthony-chicago-bulls

Where will the crummy Bulls send Carmelo to? I'm sure that those Warriors would want him on the team. It'll basically be the only way that Carmelo will ever get himself a ring. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1

Okay, did none of you watch the Warriors vs. Celtics battle tonight? WERE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? It was an epic battle/NBA finals preview and entirely entertaining!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAARRIORS!!!!!

So glad so many teams are en fuego this year...it has been a great NBA season!

• Love 2

LOL when the Celtics couldn't grab the rebound which would have given them the chance for a game tying 3 pointer at the buzzer because Draymond missed his free throw so bad it bounced over the heads of four Celtics back to him.

C's are so up and down. They could wind up anywhere from a first round casualty to taking the Warriors to a five or six game series.

2 hours ago, isalicat said:

Okay, did none of you watch the Warriors vs. Celtics battle tonight? WERE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? It was an epic battle/NBA finals preview and entirely entertaining!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAARRIORS!!!!!

LOL! So good. I watched it with my dad and he was like, "this game is going to come down to the last few seconds". Sure enough. The Celtics have got to have one of the ugliest basketball courts in the league though, jesus. 

I'm only tolerate this game because of Kyrie Irving. He is the only player on the Celtics that I will root for. 

This season has been the complete opposite of great. Those Warriors are even more unlikable as usual & have nothing to worry about in the Western Conference. I could careless about the Nuggets good season so far, James Harden & the crummy Rockets, the Jazz being the Jazz, and OKC Thunder being an improvement over last season because I know those teams have no chance against those Warriors in the playoffs. 

• Love 1
(edited)

One of the things that makes NBA player transactions so great is that the process is consistently unpredictable. The voided Chris Paul trade, Kawhi going to Toronto, Paul George staying in OKC. . . and my favorite off season moment of all time, DeAndre Jordan Watch.

NBA twitter was on fire that night.

ETA I just love the fact that AD news has managed to eclipse the garbage second week of Super Bowl hype.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

Speaking of unpredictable, Porzingis asked for a trade this morning and they finalized a deal with the Mavs the same day. 

Don't know why the Knicks made the trade though. It makes them better and reduces their odds for Zion.

3 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Speaking of unpredictable, Porzingis asked for a trade this morning and they finalized a deal with the Mavs the same day. 

Don't know why the Knicks made the trade though. It makes them better and reduces their odds for Zion.

What an incredibly Knicks move - Porzingis, Courtney Lee and THJ for Wesley Matthews, Dennis Smith Jr and DeAndre Fucking Jordan

How to crush the hopes of your entire fanbase, in a single trade. At least Jordan expires at the end of the season. But just wait for the Knicks to end up losing in the draft lottery, and picking at number 5, missing out on Zion, RJ Barrett, Cam Reddish and Ja Morant.

But man, the Mavs really are the Euro Team, these days. I need to watch more of them. Doncic and Porzingis, with Nowitzki still offering sage words and valuable minutes?

(edited)
On 1/31/2019 at 7:28 PM, Danny Franks said:

They won't get Durant. Or Kyrie, or Kahwi.

They'll end up offering Kemba Walker or Tobias Harris max deals, and be stuck with them for years.

I hear that Carmelo will be available. (*ducks*)

ETA Clyde Frazier, the ever optimistic announcer for the Knicks, seemed genuinely disappointed when discussing the Porzingis trade during pre-game.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

Is it possible to agree with Kevin Durant, and think he also went way too far?

I was just thinking the other day how annoying it is for the media to run nine hundred hot take stories breathlessly wondering where Anthony Davis will play in 2020.  Is there any chance they can concentrate on the action on the court THIS YEAR?

• Love 3
On 2/7/2019 at 8:58 AM, mojoween said:

Is it possible to agree with Kevin Durant, and think he also went way too far?

I was just thinking the other day how annoying it is for the media to run nine hundred hot take stories breathlessly wondering where Anthony Davis will play in 2020.  Is there any chance they can concentrate on the action on the court THIS YEAR?

What is there to talk about the action on the court other than those Warriors beating the crap out of the other teams & irritating me on a daily basis as usual?

At least, they're not gushing over them lately like they usually do. & being very gleeful about it. 

They also could of talk about the Knicks losing 17 in a row by losing to the Cavaliers last night (107-104). I should be happy about it, but I'm not. I embraced the tank mode & the more loss they get. The better the Draft position & one step closer to Larry Drew getting canned. Larry Drew getting that win also disgust me because its one less loss for this fool.

The Knicks were being their loser selves as usual & tanking, so that they could get Zion Williamson in the Draft this summer. They make me mad by having to be reminded that they didn't get Stephen Curry in the 2009 Draft (The Knicks were the next pick when he got drafted) & I have to reminded of that a lot. I really hope that Zion Williamson doesn't end up in that rotten landfill of a franchise. Besides, any upcoming Free Agent (especially Kyrie,(yuck) Klay Thompson, &(double yuck) KD) should avoid the Knicks by any means necessary. 

The All-Star draft was fun but Giannis is terrible at picking teams.  Actually I think I would have found it more fun if the West was led by someone else, heh.

It was nice, but I could careless about it. I'm not even remotely excited about All Star Weekend. 

Edited by Magog

Nineteen years ago today, Vince Carter won in the slam dunk contest.

Tonight he racked up a 11/5/3 against the Lakers at the age of 42.

Half Man, Half Amazing.

6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I have always hated the Lakers.  I have no sympathy for big market teams whining about small market teams.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/02/11/magic-johnson-says-pelicans-did-not-act-good-faith-during-anthony-davis-trade-talks/?utm_term=.7e8144e0a302

This coming from the team of Magic (I have already been fined for tampering and keep getting investigated for it.) Johnson and LeBron (I coincidentally drafted all of the upcoming free agents for my All Star team and traded for my protege and Klutch Agency teammate Ben Simmons.) James?

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

In the NBA, small market teams never seem to have a chance at winning the championship.  They seem to be in a constant state of trading their high priced talent for draft picks and middle of the road talent and often are in a constant state of rebuilding.  As it is, the league probably ought to consider reducing the number of teams.

Agreed. Here in Charlotte, the Panthers have played in 2 Super Bowls, but everyone knows the Hornets will never win a championship. I suppose we're one of the NBA's "Just Be Happy You Have a Team" markets. The top tier free agents don't want to go to Charlotte, Memphis, New Orleans, etc. And they never will. Even if you draft well, your guys will always have one foot out the door. OKC fans are in for a rude awakening after Westbrook leaves (or retires).

And contraction should be on the table for the NBA. They could drop 6 teams, and nobody would care. Will never happen, though.

• Love 2
On 1/31/2019 at 3:59 PM, xaxat said:

I was wrong.

Joel Embiid almost killed Regina King when he crashed into the sidelines tonight.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, xaxat said:

Joel Embiid almost killed Regina King when he crashed into the sidelines tonight.

That was horrifying to watch.  Not that I could ever afford them anyway, but I would never want courtside tickets, or seating in the first few rows at any basketball game.  The next tier would be fine with me.  

Charles is right. That dynamic in New Orleans with a team that want to limit the minutes of Anthony Davis in order to tank and protect his health for a trade and a star who is disappointed he didn't get traded to the destination of his choice and who wants to stay healthy for next season and a fan base that is either hostile to that star or is just staying home is weird.

And that was before AD left the court with an injury.

Are the Pelicans going to be there two years from now. Their owners, the Bensons are primarily invested in their ownership of the Saints. And Seattle is doing a gut renovation on the old Sonics arena.

A miracle actually happened last night. The Knicks won a game. Those losers beat the Hawks 106-91 ending their 18 game losing streak. 

Does anyone know who is going to be the Dunk Contest? There is no hype for this & its part of the reason why I can't get excited about All Star Weekend. The only good thing about the upcoming All Star Weekend is that people would finally shut up about who is GOAT in the NBA (Jordan, LeBron, or Kobe). I've been hearing that stupid debate for weeks on end (more so than I hear about the games) this season & I find it very irritating. I'm surprised that the great Bill Russell (11 rings who turned 85 this week) isn't even mentioned in this discussion. I'm also surprised that people didn't find a way to put Stephen Curry in this discussion the way he's getting praised all the time.

Charles is right. That dynamic in New Orleans with a team that want to limit the minutes of Anthony Davis in order to tank and protect his health for a trade and a star who is disappointed he didn't get traded to the destination of his choice and who wants to stay healthy for next season and a fan base that is either hostile to that star or is just staying home is weird.

And that was before AD left the court with an injury.

Are the Pelicans going to be there two years from now. Their owners, the Bensons are primarily invested in their ownership of the Saints. And Seattle is doing a gut renovation on the old Sonics arena.

Well, Dell Demps won't have to worry about that anymore because he just got fired today.

Edited by Magog

That pass that Steph gave to Giannis was a very cool looking play. Also, I am glad to see Dirk smiling and enjoying himself at this All-Star Game. It was a nice that Adam Silver allowed him and Dwyane Wade to be apart of this game as honorary All-Star players.

• Love 3
(edited)

The Lakers are definitely in trouble. Tonight's loss against the worst team in the league the Suns was another bad loss for them. I'm not sure if they make the playoffs. They have several tough matchups in their last 19 games, including many against teams that are currently in playoff contention. They very well may not make the playoffs this year.

Also OKC has lost four in a row. (Granted they have been without Paul George for a couple of these games.) I hope they will start to bounce back tomorrow and get a win against the Grizzlies. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

So the Lakers and the Knicks appear to be headed to a lottery with the best prospect since Anthony Davis on the line.

Let the conspiracy theories begin!

I guess Carmello is done?

• Love 1
(edited)

Congratulations to LeBron James for passing Michael Jordan on the all time scoring list. LeBron is now in 4th place in that list & is a little over 1,300 points away from passing Kobe Bryant. 

As for the Lakers, their season is an epic fail on so many levels & I'm loving it. Other than LeBron, I have no sympathy for the rest of the Lakers, their fans, or Stephen A Smith.  I don't blame Rajon Rondo for sitting on the courtside sides at the end of the game inside of sitting by his teammates. He could of been in the locker room at that moment & I also wouldn't have a problem with that.

I'll feel sad that LeBron won't be playing in the Playoffs this season. But, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Stephen A Smith is disgusted that his Lakers really suck for the past couple of months & that really puts a smile on my face. He thought that his Lakers will be in the Western Conference Finals this season. Now, he got mud on his face & is constantly angry about his Lakers failing this season. Somewhere out there, I hope that Mr. Jim Buss is smiling & laughing at Stephen A Smith right now.

I may like LeBron a lot. But, I'm also loving the Lakers failing this season a lot more. It made the season tolerable. It'll be even better if those Warriors don't make it the NBA Finals this postseason. But, I know that's not going to happen. 

When does the NBA Lottery occur this season & who is going to represent the Lakers in the Lottery? Hopefully, they won't get a top 5 pick.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Magog, you didn’t mention anything mean about the ‘evil’ Warriors in your post. I’m a little  concerned for you! 😉

By now, it needs no mention, it's simply a fact.  ;)

• Love 1

I don’t know what this says about me, but I’m on Russ’s side.

That fan sounds like an asshole and to say “well my wife is five foot and a hundred pounds?”  So?  If she’s going to open her mouth, consequences will follow.  

I mean, yes, Russ should not threaten to beat someone up.  But fans should never just have carte blanch to say whatever the hell they want.  

• Love 5

Fan is a dipshit and then cries when Westbrook gets mad at him. Supposedly the wife didn’t say anything but who knows. Regardless, something needs to be done for those assholes that are saying stupid shit at the players. Westbrook escalated it and is know to be a hothead, but is he supposed to sit there and listen to a raging fan the entire night?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, twoods said:

Westbrook escalated it and is know to be a hothead, but is he supposed to sit there and listen to a raging fan the entire night?

No, he shouldn't, and I don't even like the guy. There was a host on SBN radio saying he needs to take the high road. Why? He's a person too. I'd say don't threaten to beat them up either, but you can get creative with trash talk. If they don't dial it down, and it's beyond normal levels, tell a coach to get security involved. 

I don't buy the 'they paid their tickets they can say what they want.' There's a line just like everywhere else. 

• Love 4

I remember Vernon Maxwell going after a fan decades ago and getting into a lot of trouble for it (10 game suspension and $20,000 fine).  He said the fan was talking about his young daughter who died.  Fan sued Vernon and the Rockets for $4.5 million, but I never heard whether he got any money.