Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

On 12/11/2018 at 8:41 AM, AimingforYoko said:

I think Steph might be havin' a laff.

I truly hope he was joking.   If not, then it does ruin his "brand" and people will start calling him Stupid Curry.  

• Love 1
On 11/22/2018 at 10:26 PM, topanga said:

The 76ers have he worst luck with 1st round draft picks. They get hurt nearly every single year and have to sit out for almost their entire rookie seasons. 

On 11/22/2018 at 11:05 PM, Fukui San said:

Is that the "process" we've heard so much about?

It actually was!

Nerlens Noel and Joel Embiid fell in the draft because other teams had injury concerns. The Sixers thought that was a bonus. They could get talent better than their draft slot would indicate (A healthy Embiid would have easily gone first. The Sixers got him at three.) They then planned conservative rehabilitation strategies designed to keep them out for the season to delay development of the team and earn better draft positioning the following season. Simmons apparently could have returned after breaking his foot before his rookie season, but they kept him out as well. 

Washington must be happy that their circus has been eclipsed by that mess in Chicago.

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I truly hope he was joking.   If not, then it does ruin his "brand" and people will start calling him Stupid Curry.  

I understand NASA has contacted him and offered to show him the moon rocks and various other evidence of the moon landings.  BTW, Curry gave this piece of wisdom during a podcast interview where a couple of other NBA players also claimed the moon landing didn't happen.  The interviewer asked Curry to confirm his statement and he did.  So, apparently none of them are rocket scientists.  Such a wonderful role model for today's youth.  I hope that little girl who wanted his shoes in her size lets him know she's changed her mind.  Nitwit.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/stephen-curry-denies-men-on-the-moon_us_5c10eddde4b084b082fe568f

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

I understand NASA has contacted him and offered to show him the moon rocks and various other evidence of the moon landings.  BTW, Curry gave this piece of wisdom during a podcast interview where a couple of other NBA players also claimed the moon landing didn't happen.  The interviewer asked Curry to confirm his statement and he did.  So, apparently none of them are rocket scientists.  Such a wonderful role model for today's youth.  I hope that little girl who wanted his shoes in her size lets him know she's changed her mind.  Nitwit.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/stephen-curry-denies-men-on-the-moon_us_5c10eddde4b084b082fe568f

Yeah, I read about NASA response and the podcast.  I still wonder if this was a "joke" and the other NBA players were in on it.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, doodlebug said:

1) Pretty sure it's a joke (although TBH, I find someone saying the moon landing was faked far less offensive than someone saying the earth is flat, or that 9/11 is a conspiracy, or that they voted for the current president, or that global warming is a lie, etc). 

2) Seeing as how he isn't a wife beater, cheater, rapist, steroid abuser, murderer or any other number of serious things that many famous athletes get in trouble for, I'm guessing that little girl still sees him as a role model. 

• Love 2

Since the national media have all latched onto the story and, as noted above, NASA has even responded to it; I find it hard to believe that Steph wouldn't have come out and admitted it's just all a big joke.  Unless, of course, he wasn't joking and actually doesn't believe the moon landing happened. Or, he doesn't mind if the rest of the world is comparing his intellect to Kyrie Irving's; he of the flat earth theory.   There's also the fact that there's really nothing funny about a guy pretending to be ignorant.  While he didn't graduate from Davidson, I would presume the faculty at his former university aren't impressed either.  I realize Steph's public persona has always been awkward, but surely he doesn't think it was funny to behave like a fool in public, he's not 12.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Since the national media have all latched onto the story and, as noted above, NASA has even responded to it; I find it hard to believe that Steph wouldn't have come out and admitted it's just all a big joke.  Unless, of course, he wasn't joking and actually doesn't believe the moon landing happened. Or, he doesn't mind if the rest of the world is comparing his intellect to Kyrie Irving's; he of the flat earth theory.   There's also the fact that there's really nothing funny about a guy pretending to be ignorant.  While he didn't graduate from Davidson, I would presume the faculty at his former university aren't impressed either.  I realize Steph's public persona has always been awkward, but surely he doesn't think it was funny to behave like a fool in public, he's not 12.

He did.  It's all good.  Everyone can relax now...  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/12/12/steph-curry-says-he-was-joking-about-not-believing-moon-landing-everything-is-fine/?utm_term=.cf9fdc6ce9a5

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ebk57 said:

Glad to see his PR staff got hold of him and he walked it back, also love the reporter’s wry tone in reporting that Steph now says he was only joking including reminding us that this sort of ‘joke’ can do a lot of damage to his very carefully constructed media image. He obviously doesn’t do well speaking off the cuff in public. 

• Love 1

From yesterday's SF newspaper:

"Turns out, it might have just been one of Curry’s patented juke moves. In an interview with ESPN on Wednesday, Curry said he was “one thousand percent” joking.

“Obviously I was joking when I was talking on the podcast,” Curry told ESPN. “(Then) I was silently protesting how stupid it was that people actually took that quote and made it law as, ‘Oh my God, he’s a fake-moon-landing truther,’ whatever you want to call it, yada, yada, yada. So I was silently protesting that part about it, how the story took a life of its own.”

The reaction has spurred him to take NASA up on its offer to tour one of its lunar labs, study up on “everything that NASA has done” and raise awareness of its work, he said in the interview.

“And hopefully people understand that education is power, informing yourself is power,” Curry told ESPN. “For kids out there that hang on every word that we say, which is important, understand that you should not believe something just because somebody says it. You should do your homework and understand what you actually believe.”

Unfortunately the Dubs played horribly against the Raptors despite Kawhi not playing which was super awful to watch.

Obviously I was joking when I was talking on the podcast,” Curry told ESPN. “(Then) I was silently protesting how stupid it was that people actually took that quote and made it law as, ‘Oh my God, he’s a fake-moon-landing truther,’ whatever you want to call it, yada, yada, yada. So I was silently protesting that part about it, how the story took a life of its own.”

So, his initial lack of response to the media attention was a 'silent protest' against stupid people who didn't know he was only kidding.  Nice one, Steph.  I'm sure the fans really appreciate him calling them stupid.  I think he really is that ignorant- and arrogant.  What a jerk!

• Love 2

Yes, I am not sure I get the long con lesson of “I know you like me so I will say something stupid and then tell you that you were stupid to believe me so thank me now for teaching you a valuable lesson that you can’t trust people like me”?

• Love 2

I don't really care if Curry thinks we landed on the moon or not.  I suspect he has his doubts and is just backtracking now and saying he was 'joking'.

But its not the same as the "flat earthers".  One is scientific fact and one is about what we may not have done back in the 60s/early 70s. 

And on an actual basketball related note :

The Pacers have proven last year was no fluke and if anything they are even better this year.  Oladipo missed about a month, 11 games, and they have maintained their standings in the EC, now 1/2 game back in the division behind Milwaukee.  Beat Milwaukee at home a few nights ago. 

Also not just Oladipo but also Sabonis has been great this year.  Basically the whole league was wrong about this trade in every way.

Even WITH Paul George staying in OKC, which I don't think anyone expected, that trade was still a push at best for OKC, trading away two great younger players for PG so they could tread water in the west and stay competitive but probably not contender for any titles.  The Pacers meanwhile have rebuilt the team since George left and have improved, albeit admittedly in the less competitive, but improving, east. 

Also the Clippers want Durant and Kawhi for next season :

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25501657/clippers-scouting-kawhi-leonard-kevin-durant-nba

Good for them if they can do it, but I have serious doubts that will happen

15 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I don't really care if Curry thinks we landed on the moon or not.  I suspect he has his doubts and is just backtracking now and saying he was 'joking'.

But its not the same as the "flat earthers".  One is scientific fact and one is about what we may not have done back in the 60s/early 70s. 

And on an actual basketball related note :

The Pacers have proven last year was no fluke and if anything they are even better this year.  Oladipo missed about a month, 11 games, and they have maintained their standings in the EC, now 1/2 game back in the division behind Milwaukee.  Beat Milwaukee at home a few nights ago. 

Also not just Oladipo but also Sabonis has been great this year.  Basically the whole league was wrong about this trade in every way.

Even WITH Paul George staying in OKC, which I don't think anyone expected, that trade was still a push at best for OKC, trading away two great younger players for PG so they could tread water in the west and stay competitive but probably not contender for any titles.  The Pacers meanwhile have rebuilt the team since George left and have improved, albeit admittedly in the less competitive, but improving, east. 

Also the Clippers want Durant and Kawhi for next season :

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25501657/clippers-scouting-kawhi-leonard-kevin-durant-nba

Good for them if they can do it, but I have serious doubts that will happen

I think that the OKC/Pacers trade has been good for both teams. The Pacers have been doing well and so has OKC. OKC has reached the #1 seed in the West a couple of times (although briefly) during the last week and is only like a couple of wins away from taking that spot again. I think they've won something like 17 out of their last 22 games. They could very well end up like a 3rd seed (or maybe better.)  Paul George has actually been playing better this year. He is much more consistent than he was last year and Dennis Shchroder has a been really good pickup for the Thunder. 

Edited by Jx223

So why did the 'Steph might think the Moon landings were a hoax' story get so much more traction and discussion than the 'Steph gets Under Armour to redesign their website and children's shoe sizing, after a young girl complains that there are no Curry 5 shoes for girls. Not only that, he sends her a free pair of Curry 5s, promises she'll be one of the first to get the new Curry 6, and personally invites her to a game' story? Interesting.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/11/29/18117984/steph-curry-shoes-letter-girl-sizes

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

So why did the 'Steph might think the Moon landings were a hoax' story get so much more traction and discussion than the 'Steph gets Under Armour to redesign their website and children's shoe sizing, after a young girl complains that there are no Curry 5 shoes for girls. Not only that, he sends her a free pair of Curry 5s, promises she'll be one of the first to get the new Curry 6, and personally invites her to a game' story? Interesting.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/11/29/18117984/steph-curry-shoes-letter-girl-sizes

Yeah, I thought Steph was the world's Golden Boy?  That's what the self-aggrandizing perpetual victims known as Cavs fans keep shouting to anyone who will listen.  It's certainly not LeBron James, even though he is talked about and worshipped by the sports media 24/7/365.

(Seriously, though, if Steph was joking, it was a tin-eared joke.)

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I saw at least as much coverage of that story, including on multiple national TV news shows as I did of the moon landing nonsense.  If it didn't get as much mileage as Steph wanted, it's his own fault for overshadowing his own good deed by acting the fool just a couple days later.  It just shows that he really needs to let his PR people handle his image and keep his fat yap shut otherwise.  I am sure Steph doesn't read and answer his own fan mail.  Someone on his PR team read the letter from the little girl, realized it was a good angle for him and arranged the rest, with UnderArmour's cooperation including releasing the letter (undoubtedly written by a PR hack for him) to the media and getting it covered.  Steph didn't 'send her a free pair of Curry 5's'; his PR people and UnderArmour did.  Nobody actually thinks he paid for the shoes, let alone arranged to ship them to her.  He has people for that, who were undoubtedly cringing when, just a couple days later, he undid their good work by showing the world his real self.

6 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

If it didn't get as much mileage as Steph wanted, it's his own fault for overshadowing his own good deed by acting the fool just a couple days later.

Yeah.  I like Steph, but I have to agree with this.

I don't know how involved he might have been with the little girl getting the shoes, so I can't comment, nor do I know if he reads his own mail.  Maybe he does read some of it. 

Great game last night between Pacers-76ers

But Jimmy didn't get to play. 

Jimmy is injured

Jimmy had to sit on the bench in a weird suit with pants that were two inches too short, tennis shoes and no socks

Jimmy likes to draw attention to himself even when he isn't in the game 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Jimmy had to sit on the bench in a weird suit with pants that were two inches too short, tennis shoes and no socks

Pretty common look across the league in the post dress code NBA. Remember LeBron's suit with shorts?

The Wizards as buyers? Didn't see that coming.

9 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

That sounds pretty hipster to me.  I see that all the time and it's hard not to laugh.  Really hard.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1
On 12/13/2018 at 4:15 PM, isalicat said:

Unfortunately the Dubs played horribly against the Raptors despite Kawhi not playing which was super awful to watch.

I kind of enjoyed it. I didn't see it coming, but I did enjoyed watching it.

The Wizards as buyers? Didn't see that coming.

Trevor Ariza didn't see this coming either. From going from one victory away from the NBA Finals. To going to a sucky team (Suns) & then getting traded to an even suckier team (Wizards).

• Love 1

(Sorry for the double post)

Tonight, the sorry Pelicans are playing the Lakers tonight on ESPN. For the past couple of days, they have been talking about how exciting it is that Anthony Davis might want to play for the Lakers & Mr. Laker fan, Stephen A Smith saying that Anthony needs to play for the Lakers via trade or when he is a free agent after next season. 

ESPN - Stephen A Smith on Anthony Davis going to the Lakers

ESPN - Stephen A Smith on Anthony Davis being the key to the Lakers title hopes.

ESPN - Stephen A Smith on Anthony Davis needing to demand a trade to end up with the Lakers.

I'm surprised that Stephen A Smith haven't gotten around yet to wanting Zion Williamson to play for the Lakers when he goes to the NBA Draft next summer. 

Speaking of Zion Williamson, I like this guy a lot (even though he plays for Duke) & I hope that he doesn't end up with the Knicks, not worth a damn Bulls, the crummy Suns, or the sad sack Wizards.

Edited by Magog

I graduated from the same school as Zion Williamson, and it is...insane to me and my other high school friends that the Spartanburg Day School, which has always had aggressively terrible sports programs, somehow managed to graduate one of the most highly recruited basketball players in the country and get him recruited to Duke. It honestly boggles my mind.

If a Laker shat in the woods and Stephen A. Smith wasn’t there to worship and holler about it for a solid week, did it really happen?

Edited by NUguy514
  • Love 7

Paul George has been playing some really great basketball these past several games for the Thunder. They won again tonight (Even though Russ played poorly) behind a fantastic game from Paul. The way's he's playing right now is the way I thought he was going to play last year. Last year, I had actually thought he might have an MVP level type of season. But maybe he will have that this year. The Thunder are looking much better than last season and are getting closer to reaching the #1 seed again.

Also,I am looking forward to watching the games on Christmas. Most of the games seems interesting. (I could see the Bucks dominating the their matchup against the Knicks.) And All-Star voting begins on Christmas. I think that the draft being televised this year will be entertaining. 

Edited by Jx223

Can we please make sure that the Knicks don't ever appear on Christmas Day ever again? They're getting their butts kicked again as usual by the Greek Freak & the Bucks. There is nothing special about watching the sucky Knicks getting their asses kicked at MSG on Christmas on a yearly basis. The sooner the NBA figures that out, the better.

(Edit for the other games)

OKC - Rockets was somewhat fun. I actually didn't take a catnap watching this.  

As for the 76ers - Celtics, I'm only here & happy for Kyrie Irving. He was a big help in the Celtics winning in overtime. 

I don't know how to feel about the Lakers beating the crap out of those Warriors tonight. On one hand, I was shocked & very happy that those Warriors got that much deserved & long overdue 127 - 101 beatdown & Lebron was a big help in the victory (getting 17 points & his leadership) before he injured his groin in the 3rd Quarter. I'm very certain that he will be OK. On the other hand, it had to be the Lakers that did this ass kicking. Most of the front-runners that was rooting for those Warriors at the start, were very happy that the Lakers won in a blowout fashion. At least, it wiped that smug smile out of Stephen Curry's face for Christmas & that part makes me very happy. 

Edited by Magog

I thought that overall this slate of Christmas games have been good. I would have liked to have seen OKC win, but Harden did a nice of job of leading the Rockets to a win without CP3. I also thought that the 76ers/Celtics was a good game, and that Kyrie played very well. He was clutch for them at the end of that game. And the Lakers got an impressive win against the Warriors. Especially considering that LeBron got injured and didn't play much in the 2nd half. Rondo and Zubac are two players in particular did a nice job of helping the Lakers blow out the Warriors. And as a whole the Lakers played well as a team against them.

Edited by Jx223

I hope the Warriors got a wake up call after that beat down last night because I want them to beat the crap out of the Lakers when it really counts.  Also, I want LeBron healthy so he can't have any excuses.

• Love 3

I would still take GS easily in a 7 game series over any team in the West. 

I can't stand the Lakers, never could.  My #2 most hated franchise in all of sports, behind the Patriots.  And they are still a team just above .500 and in the middle of a close playoff race in the west.  Its one game. 

I bet somehow either Zion Williamson or Anthony Davis ends up on the Lakers next year.  And Durant will be somewhere other than GS. 

What would be hilarious is if Durant goes back to OKC now the way Lebron did to Cleveland. 

I'm predicting that KD goes to the Clippers. I don't think he wants to be second fiddle to anyone. The Knicks are a possibility, but I just don't see it happening. Those are the two  biggest market teams that are likely to be looking for a max contract superstar.

The Knicks are going to end up ruining their tank, when Porzingis returns and wins them some games. They'll probably miss out on Zion Williamson because of it.

The Lakers aren't winning anything this year and I think they'll end up tied to a declining LeBron, trading away their future for a final, futile tilt at the championship next year.

Edited by Danny Franks
On 12/29/2018 at 1:39 PM, Danny Franks said:

The Lakers aren't winning anything this year and I think they'll end up tied to a declining LeBron, trading away their future for a final, futile tilt at the championship next year.

LeBron had to know the chances of him winning another title were slim to none when he signed with the Lakers especially after he saw what kind of team/players they put around him. They hedged all of their bets on Kawhi coming over next year but look what happened with Paul George in OKC. If they do somehow get Davis they'll have to give up a lot to get him and they don't have anything worthy to send out except maybe Kuzma, Rondo, Ball, or others. 

I thought that the OKC/Lakers game was entertaining. I am glad that the Thunder got the win.  Russ struggled, but Paul George continues to play well and he definitely made a difference for them tonight. He is continuing to have an MVP type of season. 

Edited by Jx223

James Harden had another great performance tonight against the Warriors. He has been playing very well lately and also at an MVP level. He did a really nice job of helping the Rockets erase their 20pt deficit and come back and play very competitively in the 2nd half. I thought that the second half of that game and OT was entertaining. Clint Capela also did a pretty nice job helping the Rockets get the win tonight.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Here’s an odd, and probably stupid question, because this could be said for any player, but if everyone knows what Harden is going to do...why can’t they stop him?  

The rest of the team is not him, so wouldn’t you take the risk and double or triple team him when he gets the ball?

On 12/23/2018 at 2:06 AM, Jx223 said:

Paul George has been playing some really great basketball these past several games for the Thunder. They won again tonight (Even though Russ played poorly) behind a fantastic game from Paul. The way's he's playing right now is the way I thought he was going to play last year. Last year, I had actually thought he might have an MVP level type of season. But maybe he will have that this year. The Thunder are looking much better than last season and are getting closer to reaching the #1 seed again.

Also,I am looking forward to watching the games on Christmas. Most of the games seems interesting. (I could see the Bucks dominating the their matchup against the Knicks.) And All-Star voting begins on Christmas. I think that the draft being televised this year will be entertaining. 

Paul George is a great player and seems like a great teammate. 

Then again, I could be wrong. I thought LeBron James was a great teammate until stories started coming out that players, including George, don't want to play with him. Not just because they'd always play second fiddle to him, but because LeBron is not a good teammate. 

5 hours ago, mojoween said:

Here’s an odd, and probably stupid question, because this could be said for any player, but if everyone knows what Harden is going to do...why can’t they stop him?  

The rest of the team is not him, so wouldn’t you take the risk and double or triple team him when he gets the ball?

The short answer is that Harden can make you pay for focusing on him. That's how he racks up the assists in his triple double stats. In addition, he is really good on the dribble so double teaming is not easy.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, xaxat said:

The short answer is that Harden can make you pay for focusing on him. That's how he racks up the assists in his triple double stats. In addition, he is really good on the dribble so double teaming is not easy.

It doesn't hurt that refs allow him to travel. OK, I only saw him travel in one video, but it was quite blatant. Someone even gave it a soundtrack: Bobby Brown's "Every Little Step You Take." 

• Love 2

I'm certain that ESPN was thrilled tonight that their Warriors put a beatdown on the Nuggets (142-111), ending the game early by scoring 51 point in the 1st Quarter & making 10 3-pointers in the 1st Quarter. Their "Man who can do no wrong" scored 31 points for those Warriors. Those Warriors have nothing to worry about when it comes to the rest of the Western Conference. 

• Love 3