Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

I would love nothing more than for the Knicks and Lakers to go 1, 2 in the draft lottery tonight. More so the Knicks because the Lakers at least have had recent success.

But ill just love all the hate that would come from the middle of the country this summer as they talk about how the fix was in for the "big market" teams and whatever else.

• Love 1
(edited)

2015 NBA Draft Lottery results

1- Minnesota Timberwolves

2- LA Lakers

3- Philadelphia 76ers

4- New York Knicks

5- Orlando Magic

6- Sacramento Kings

7- Denver Nuggets

8- Detroit Pistons

9- Charlotte Hornets

10- Miami Heat

Watching the NBA Lottery last night, I was very happy that the Knicks got the 4th pick in the Draft. Seeing the despair & the disgust from the Knicks fans put a smile on my face. I thought that Stephen A Smith was going to cry or bust a blood vessel this morning when he was showing his anger over the Knicks getting the 4th pick. I feel sorry for whoever gets picked by the Knicks in the NBA Draft. That player is already being set up to fail.

However, I was not happy that the Lakers got the 2nd pick in the Draft. I want them to suffer just like the Knicks & now whoever they pick in the Draft, that player is instantly going to make them better. I have to hear Kobe, Magic Johnson, Cari Champion, & other front-running Lakers fans being thrilled about the Lakers getting the 2nd pick. As if I need another reason to root against the Lakers. 

And why was their coach Byron Scott representing them instead of Kobe, Magic Johnson, Jim Buss (Stephen A Smith's punching bag) or even Swaggy P? Byron Scott was very boring & didn't showed any excitement over them getting the 2nd pick. I would of gotten some sense of excitement if either of those 4 were at the Lottery.

Edited by Magog
(edited)

2015 NBA Draft Lottery results

1- Minnesota Timberwolves

2- LA Lakers

3- Philadelphia 76ers

4- New York Knicks

5- Orlando Magic

6- Sacramento Kings

7- Denver Nuggets

8- Detroit Pistons

9- Charlotte Hornets

10- Miami Heat

Watching the NBA Lottery last night, I was very happy that the Knicks got the 4th pick in the Draft. Seeing the despair & the disgust from the Knicks fans put a smile on my face. I thought that Stephen A Smith was going to cry or bust a blood vessel this morning when he was showing his anger over the Knicks getting the 4th pick. I feel sorry for whoever gets picked by the Knicks in the NBA Draft. That player is already being set up to fail.

You are so hateful. *Sigh*.  The Daily News summed it up perfectly "Tanks for Nothing".  The Knicks are so bad, we can't even lose properly.  Maybe winning the last couple of games wouldn't have made the difference, but damn it sure couldn't have hurt to lose those games.  I wasn't on the verge of crying like Stephen A.  I think I'll wait a couple years from now, when the player the Knicks pick officially becomes a bust and 1 or 2 players chosen afterward become superstars.

I love Jemele Hill but she is killing me with all the digs about the Knicks.   

Edited by FuriousStyles

The Cavs held on and won game 1. They almost lost despite having a double-digit lead for most of the 2nd half, which must be corrected. You can't let teams hang around in the playoffs. Just ask the Clippers.

My husband and I argue constantly about LeBron James. He argues that LeBron will never be as good as Jordan (or even Kobe) because he isn't as competitive as they are and doesn't have that killer instinct. He thinks LeBron should be more dominant in the 4th quarter of games. I, however, believe that LeBron doesn't like to win the game by himself unless he absolutely has to. Since childhood, he's always made it a priority to keep his teammates involved in the game. Even when he was clearly (literally and figuratively) head and shoulders above everyone else on the floor. I do agree that he won't surpass Jordan's greatness--and that's okay. LeBron's a different player and is great in his own right.

I also think LeBron is a much better person than Jordan or Kobe. I'd rather hang out with LeBron or play on a team with LeBron than either of those two.

• Love 1

Yes, Lebron has managed to command greatness from his teammates without being a total dick. He really elevates the players around him. And he seems like a good guy. I mean if the worst thing he's done his whole career (on amd off the court) is a tv special announcing he's taking his talents to South Beach, then he cant be bad.

If Lebron was as ruthless as Jordan or Kobe he would hands down be the GOAT because physically speaking he's better than both of them. But his nature is to have his teammates involved, make great passes and I truly believe him when he says he loves seeing his teammates succeed. No doubt Lebron is on the "Mt. Rushmore" of bball greats, and I actually would take him over Kobe and maybe over Jordan (calm down Jordan stans, I said maybe), but his unwillingness to be THAT guy all the time (instead of just when its absolutely necessary) will prevent a lot of people from giving him his due.

James Harden is saving this series from being a total bore. That last play was brutal, but he had better get over it and rebound in game 3.

I assume LeBron is an OK guy (we used to live near Akron, and I assume there would have been rumblings if he had serious faults). However I feel almost conditioned to believe that elite super-athletes are going to disappoint a la Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong and Michael Jordan. Hopefully not.

I do think LeBron is a prime example of crybaby-itus in the NBA. It is so gross to see players piss and moan after every foul or no-call (looking at you, Demarcus Cousins), and LeBron is a serious offender.

• Love 1

I think Charles Barkley had it right when he said LeBron is more like Magic than Michael because he would rather have 12 assists than 30 points each night.

• Love 2

I do think LeBron is a prime example of crybaby-itus in the NBA. It is so gross to see players piss and moan after every foul or no-call (looking at you, Demarcus Cousins), and LeBron is a serious offender.

Word.  In tonight's game, towards the end of regulation, he crossed half-court and then awkwardly lost the ball while going to the floor.  Atlanta took the ball the other way, and the replay shows LeBron was crying for a foul.  Yet he didn't get up and go back to defend on the ensuing play.  I think Chris Webber even made a comment about how LeBron needs to get back on defense yet he didn't.  Unfortunately the Hawks didn't score that play so they couldn't make him pay.  Not sure why TNT didn't show more replay footage of him crying after the play.  I would have loved to see what he was doing for the fifteen seconds after the no-call instead of getting up and playing ball.

(edited)

With both team heading for a sweep, we could go 8 days without basketball until the finals start in Oakland on June 4. Why would you set the date in stone like that? It would work nicely for Cleveland to get Irving healthy, but that's ridiculous.

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Love 1

I don't think LeBron needs to take any tips from Chris Webber about how to play the game. While I don't like his complaining to the refs, when you watch the replays you watch him get fouled all the time and lots don't get called because LeBron managed to score anyway. I can understand his frustration.

• Love 1

I don't think LeBron needs to take any tips from Chris Webber about how to play the game. While I don't like his complaining to the refs, when you watch the replays you watch him get fouled all the time and lots don't get called because LeBron managed to score anyway. I can understand his frustration.

If he thinks he got fouled but there was no call, then he should go complain about it to the refs after the whistle is blown.  Not when your opponent is going the other way and the game is on the line.  Sitting on his butt looking exasperated in disbelief is not going to change things.  Get up off the floor and go play defense.  I'm sure that's what he would tell his son if he saw him do that on the court.

I think LeBron is an exceptional athlete and someone I like in general as a hawker of various goods in commercials. However...

What a drama queen. Falling to the ground after the win? Please. He was posing for a photo. He is so conscious at all times of public perception. I get he's banged up. Do not make it out like you are a hero to us all by playing a single overtime. I really honestly do like him, and I wish he'd just cut the crap.

It's going to be pretty fun to see LeBron, the game's biggest name, most likely come head to head with Steph Curry, the game's new Golden Boy. I like LeBron in general but Steph is so different from him in so many ways that it's going to be fun to see these two insanely good players in such a high stakes game. 

When the man gets 37 points, 18 rebounds and 13 assists (first time someone has ever had that stat line) and pretty much dragged this team of nobodys to a win, he can do whatever the hell he wants afterward. I didnt see him dropping to the floor as anything other than relief that the game was finally over.

I do however agree about the whining. My biggest gripe with Lebron was the flopping, which he seems to have calmed down, and the complaining. Last night was especially egregious because the play was still going on and it was a crucial point in the game. Luckily for him, the Hawks didnt score but its just bad optics. Forget telling his son to quit whining and continue playing, im sure if one of his very own teammates had done that he'd be up in their face. But hey, nobody's perfect, and the King has flaws.

I think the Finals being set for June 4 is probably a mix of liking to get both teams a few days rest and time to game plan (even if they went 6 or 7 games) and probably some contractual and marketing stuff mixed in. The NBA finals are synonymous with June, much like the Superbowl is with February. Who the hell could have predicted BOTH conference finals would be on the verge on being over in only 4 games?

• Love 1

When the man gets 37 points, 18 rebounds and 13 assists (first time someone has ever had that stat line) and pretty much dragged this team of nobodys to a win, he can do whatever the hell he wants afterward. I didnt see him dropping to the floor as anything other than relief that the game was finally over.

WORD. The man was fricking exhausted & relieved. For people to complain about that minor little thing, is nit picky.

I do however agree about the whining. My biggest gripe with Lebron was the flopping, which he seems to have calmed down, and the complaining. Last night was especially egregious because the play was still going on and it was a crucial point in the game.

Word again. He did seem to slack back quite a bit last night. Exhaustion, cramps, wanting to share the spotlight (unlike MJ), whatever you call it, you can't can't have it both ways. Stop the whining and just play.

I think the Finals being set for June 4 is probably a mix of liking to get both teams a few days rest and time to game plan (even if they went 6 or 7 games) and probably some contractual and marketing stuff mixed in. The NBA finals are synonymous with June, much like the Superbowl is with February. Who the hell could have predicted BOTH conference finals would be on the verge on being over in only 4 games?

In the Cavs case - if they do win the East - it's a good thing.

I'm just not completely convinced we'll hold on yet. Cleveland has a way of losing everything when they are on the verge of winning everything.

• Love 1

I wasn't nitpicking one thing, I was giving a specific example of what I perceive to be a pattern of behavior. It's ok that we disagree.

Should be a great final. Neither team has been in a position to go all the way so we will see who can really take it to the next level. I didn't think either one of them was going to get this far actually, so I'm happy I was wrong.

(edited)

Ok, Andrea. I think I just read it that it was implied that he fell because he somehow knew that the media would want to take that particular picture and plastered on the front cover of the news.

I agree that the finals will be very interesting and exciting if the Cavs do make it to the finals.

Edited by roamyn

NBA not moving up the finals even if there are double sweeps.  Makes sense, with all the logistics and the tv, advertising, and travel arrangements likely already made.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/25/nba-will-not-move-up-finals-start-date-june-4-locked-in/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

NBA couldn't have asked for a better finals.  Hoping to see Steph Curry continue to light it up and make Lebron cry even more.

• Love 2

I want Steph and the Warriors to win. I think being in the east, Lebron will get more cracks at it. The West kind of opened up for the Warriors this postseason in a way that I think they HAVE to take advantage of because it probably wont ever be so easy (relatively speaking) to get to the finals again.

More importantly, I really hope Steph is ok. That fall was scary. Ive actually been dreading some crazy injury for the Warriors because thats the only thing, IMO that could derail them.

• Love 1

I am shocked by a couple of things in last nights Golden State and Houston game

One I can't believe they put Steph back in that game. They were down by 20 most of the game, had little chance of winning and were already up 3-0 in the series, a loss wasn't chaning much the likelihood of them winning the series. He is the present and future of the franchise. Just sit him and let him come in next game. I don't care how he seemed during his check ups, on the sideline or in the locker room, it was pointless and dangerous

Second, I have absolutely no idea how you don't suspend Howard for a game for what he did, why he was not immediately ejected and how it was a flagrant one instead of two. It was a blatant elbow to the head, it was no accident, it was unnecessary, purposeful and he could have seriously injured the guy he hit with a shot like that. If that is not a flagrant two that I have no idea what qualifies for a flagrant two, short of just repeatedly punching someone in a fight or brawl.

Hope Cleveland gets their first major championship in quite a while

I hope so too. Its been 51 yrs since their last championship (Browns in 1964) & it is going to be brought up constantly. I'm very certain that because of this & that Seth Curry is now the new "golden boy" of the NBA, ESPN will root very hard for Golden State to win the all. Besides, ESPN always bringing up Cleveland's failure in sports makes them very happy & they revel in their suffering. They would never do that to the Knicks. 

As for last night, I was very happy about the Cavaliers getting the Hawks out of the way, so that Kyrie Irving will have another week of rest to heal up. They will not beat the Warriors without him being close to 100%.

(edited)

I hope so too. Its been 51 yrs since their last championship (Browns in 1964) & it is going to be brought up constantly. I'm very certain that because of this & that Seth Curry is now the new "golden boy" of the NBA, ESPN will root very hard for Golden State to win the all. Besides, ESPN always bringing up Cleveland's failure in sports makes them very happy & they revel in their suffering. They would never do that to the Knicks.

Revel in our suffering?!

apparently you've never been two outs from winning a World Series, the first since 1941 to have Jose Fricking Mesa lose it.

or had John Elway pinned back to the 2 yard line in the late in the fourth quarter of the AFC Championship only to have him march down 98 yards and tear your heart out.

or be up 3 games to none over Boston in the American League Championship Series and blow it all.

No one...NO ONE wants -or needs - a Championship more than we do.

Edited by roamyn

I think Magog means ESPN revels in Cleveland's suffering, not that we do.

It would be nice if Cleveland could be on the winning side of "The Play" or whatever winning moment is so newsworthy it gets its own moniker.

(edited)

The league/refs gave Howard and the Rockets every opportunity to extend this series and Im glad they werent successful.

If the league had any credibility they lost most of it with the way they've handled these foul calls the last two games. First they dont eject Howard for that deliberate and dangerous hit to the head of Bogat, then they dont have the guts to correct the issue and upgrade the foul to a flagrant 2 which woulda been an automatic suspension for game 5. Then in tonight's game Howard gets away with 2 fouls which could have and SHOULD have been called flagrant.

Anyway, on to the finals. Both teams will be rested and hopefully some of those injuries will have healed up at least somewhat. Im still rolling with the Warriors, but im not as confident as I was to start the playoffs. I dont know if im just getting caught up in the legend of Lebron or what, but im getting an uneasy feeling. Hopefully its just nerves and the Warriors can pull it out.

Just had to add that seeing Riley Curry do that double tap chest touch and then up to the sky move that Steph always does after a shot was the cutest thing ive seen since Derek Jeter's nephew tipped his cap to Jeter after Jeter got his last walk off hit. Cute cute cute.

Edited by FuriousStyles

It was seriously painful watching Harden implode last night. I was actually wondering if he would turn the ball over as he was dribbling out the clock.

I am not a big Lebron fan.

But I do like to see smaller towns win titles and teams that have not won in a long time, or ever, win.

So it would be nice to see Cleveland, or Golden State, win. I am probably one of the few fans that likes these type of match ups. Either way its a great experience for some fan bases that are long suffering.

The NFL went through a period in the late 90s and through the 2000s where a whole bunch of teams, or cities, won a first title. Broncos, Rams, even Pats first time, Ravens, Bucs, Colts (first time in Indy since Baltimore move), Saints, Seattle, not to mention many other teams that at least made a SB for the first time even if they lost (Panthers, Titans). Its good for leagues, it gives teams and all fans hopes knowing if you stick with your team long enough, you at least get a chance eventually.

This should be a great series.

• Love 2

I'm not a LeBron fan either but I'm torn.  On the one hand, I would love to see the city of Cleveland get a win after being dumped by LeBron; on the other hand, I am a fan of Steph Curry and so I would love for the Warriors to win.

Ok hell, I guess I'm rooting for the Warriors. 

• Love 1

I hope that Kyrie ends up being okay, but he definitely seemed to be in a lot of pain. I felt bad seeing him limp off, frustrated and in pain at the end, especially considering how hard he worked to keep Cleveland in the game throughout regulation. I thought that overall tonight's game was fast paced and competitive, even though Golden Stated ended up dominating in OT. 

If Kyrie ends up being out for the rest of the series, or a couple of games, I'm not sure if Cleveland is really going to be able to cope without him. He was really a big difference maker for them tonight with his play. Lebron helped them out a lot, but it wasn't enough even with him scoring 44 points. I hope that this series doesn't end in 4 or 5 games. I enjoy watching both of these teams and would like to see a long competitive series between them.

Poor Kyrie. Hope he didn't tear his MCL. I kept going back and forth who I wanted to win. I don't mind the Warriors and don't like Lebron, but he's a terrific player and Cleveland fans deserve happiness. Hope it's a good series like game 1 was.

• Love 1

Yeah I felt bad for Kyrie too. For the whole game it seemed like the long layover really helped him with his recovery. He was making great cuts, doing all that crazy dribbling that we're used to seeing and of course the game saving block on Curry near the end of regulation. He was doing it all.

Without Irving at least 80% healthy, the Cavs dont stand a shot at winning this series. Its clear the Warriors are going to let Lebron get his (although he needs to lay off the 3s) and try to keep the rest of the Cavs off the score board. Well other than Irving who else is capable of scoring at will (consistently that is)? JR Smith as great as he's been, was a non factor tonight.

Lebron scored 40+ points, the team had like 10 turnovers, about the same amount of 3s made as the Warriors and they STILL lost.

I will be surprised if Kyrie is back this series the way he was limping off.  And I can't see any way Clevelenad wins without him. 

I don't blame Lebron for that loss for Cleveland.  Its crazy to hear people say that.  he scored 40 and carried the team.  Though I was pissed off about the refs, he was getting every call underneath.  A few should have been offensive fouls on him and a few others should have been no calls. 

Plus those announcers on the traveling call in overtime.......are they watching the same replay as me?  I thought he CLEARLY travelled.  He came down was set, and then jumped again and landed on his feet before shooting, was defintely the right call, and they are on air stating it was not traveling. 

It was a well played game, glad Golden State won.  If Kyrie is out for more than a game though, I think the series is over. 

Yeah, the game really took a turn in overtime. Incredible performance by LeBron, but I don't think he can go like that--without Kyrie Irving, especially--for many more games. 

A good game overall, but holy moses was the first quarter ugly. Glad both teams shook off the rust and nerves after that.

(edited)

Plus those announcers on the traveling call in overtime.......are they watching the same replay as me?  I thought he CLEARLY travelled.  He came down was set, and then jumped again and landed on his feet before shooting, was defintely the right call, and they are on air stating it was not traveling. 

I totally agree with you.  There is a difference between feet shuffling and two-footed hopping.  My husband did not agree with us.

I wasn't sure who I was going to root for (sometimes I have to wait until a game starts to see who I find myself cheering for), but I am really happy the Warriors won and it looks good for them going forward. It will be good for them to get a Championship while they are still in Oakland. I really like the 2 Oakland teams, but they are getting sucked into the other parts of the bay slowly but surely.

Edited by AndreaK1041

It will be good for them to get a Championship while they are still in Oakland. I really like the 2 Oakland teams, but they are getting sucked into the other parts of the bay slowly but surely.

I agree. Almost everybody has Oracle on the short list of best/loudest fans. All of that is going to end if they move across the bay.

• Love 2

I agree. Almost everybody has Oracle on the short list of best/loudest fans. All of that is going to end if they move across the bay.

I'm not sure I understand this. Would fans of the Warriors, who are likely from all parts of the Bay Area, stop being loud if the team moves to San Francisco? 

(edited)

Fans from SF are notoriously horrible.  Much more interested in the outing and the fancy stadiums than watching the actual sport. It's weird that Warriors and A's fans are not afflicted by this since they are in the Bay, but I think it's probably because Oracle and O.co (which share a parking lot) are shitty and in a shitty part of town that no one would go to unless they wanted to actually see a game.

** I realize this is offensive to Niners and Giants fans who actually like the team and sport in good times and in bad. Apologies.

Edited by AndreaK1041

I am a Giants fan but I don't live in the Bay Area. I would guess that a lot of Warriors fans are both A's and Giants fans, so I'm just confused about how anything would change simply because the team moved a little further in one direction. Then again, I also have seen many Giants games at AT&T and at other MLB stadiums and have never experienced what you say, so maybe not being a resident has a lot to do with it. 

Fans from SF are notoriously horrible.  Much more interested in the outing and the fancy stadiums than watching the actual sport. It's weird that Warriors and A's fans are not afflicted by this since they are in the Bay, but I think it's probably because Oracle and O.co (which share a parking lot) are shitty and in a shitty part of town that no one would go to unless they wanted to actually see a game.

** I realize this is offensive to Niners and Giants fans who actually like the team and sport in good times and in bad. Apologies.

Have you ever seen a Giants game?

(edited)

I am a Giants fan but I don't live in the Bay Area. I would guess that a lot of Warriors fans are both A's and Giants fans, so I'm just confused about how anything would change simply because the team moved a little further in one direction. Then again, I also have seen many Giants games at AT&T and at other MLB stadiums and have never experienced what you say, so maybe not being a resident has a lot to do with it. 

Now it may be the grumpy old "things were so much better in my day"  man in me, but in my experience a new stadium usually results in a lot of the most enthusiastic fans being priced out of lower level seats and perhaps out of the stadium altogether in favor of more deep pocketed corporate clients. In the new Yankee Stadium, they literally built a moat to keep the customers in the most expensive seats safe from the great unwashed.

What is the reasoning behind the Warriors moving? 

Because owners (in all sports) love the idea of taxpayers paying for a new stadium that will help them make even more money.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

Kyrie Irving has a busted kneecap & he is done for the rest of the Finals. Its bad enough that they lost a winnable game last night & now down 1-0. Now, it just even more difficult with Kyrie being out of the Finals. I'm still somewhat confident that the Cavs might still pull this out, but its had just gotten whole lot difficult. It also doesn't help that JR Smith went 3-13 & that they only scored 2 points in overtime. 

First of all, from my experience (starting at age eight - lo, these many decades ago - at Candlestick Park where my parents initiated me into the joys of the San Francisco Giants, my team no matter what from then on, despite actually growing up in Los Angeles) is that SF fans and in fact, all Bay Area fans, are the best period in terms of loyalty, stick it out no matter the weather, and make some noise! In L.A. everyone comes in at the bottom of the second and leaves at the bottom of the seventh because of "traffic" - people say they are Dodger fans or Lakers fans but they are so quick to turn on the team when they aren't winning unlike Bay Area teams that know how long it can be between play off appearances, let along championship runs. I've never heard a crowd get behind a team the way the Roaracle does (and yes, I've been to a number of games over the last few years well before they were winning everything).

I am personally not behind the move to SF even though the new Warriors stadium sounds lovely and can be a multi-purpose use for the city - all good - because it will make the games even more unaffordable to us regular folk and there is this super cheap comfortable hotel right across an undeveloped frontage zone from the current stadium so you can come in from out of town, not worry about parking at the stadium and just take a bit of a walk to and from the game to get back to your room if you want a fun overnight at the best of the NBA. No way this will be possible to do in SF :P

So as to the series so far...appalled at the blatant referee bias towards LeBron (as great as he is, the calls make him look even better porque?) Love that Kerr has such a great command of the Warriors squad and when to call up who. I was so nervous about the first game and the first quarter justified all my nerves but I'm hoping that now the Splash Brothers and their posse will loosen up and show us what they are made of: Fun! Big Fun!