Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

Blake Griffin a "kind, honest, and good person"? He attacked an equipment manager (punched him and injured his hand and was suspended 4 games by the NBA) on his own team, for goodness sakes....and did this as well amongst other incidents (from his Wikipedia entry):

"Griffin was charged with misdemeanor battery as a result of an October 2014 Las Vegas encounter. He allegedly seized a cell phone from its owner (Daniel Schuman), grabbed the owner's neck twice and slapped him, after the owner took a picture of a group of Clippers players. The charges were dismissed in March 2015 for lack of evidence."

I think he is whiny little thug.

Should've been a good match, but Cleveland is in it's mid-winter funk. I don't know if LeBron can flip the switch on this one. They gave up 148, yikes.

Well, they been in a funk for over a month. They haven't been given me much of a reason to put a smile on my face for a while. 

It also doesn't help that the Cavaliers can't play worth a damn on defense. Its like on some nights, some of these scrubs on the team don't put in much of an effort on defense. It has been very irritating watching this team going down in flames. 

Isiah Thomas came back in the beginning of January & he hasn't given me much confidence that he is going to get it together when the playoffs come around. And he also sucks at defense. Frankly, I'm just about given up on this guy. I wasn't very excited over him coming to the Cavaliers in the first place. I hope that he's not counting on getting that $200 Million contract that he is hoping to get from the Cavaliers or elsewhere. 

I don't know where Le Bron is going after this failure in progress of this season ends. It is 50/50 at best that he will stay in Cleveland & end his career there. I just hope he doesn't find his way to those Warriors. ESPN would enjoyed it a lot if he somehow find his way to their favorite team or the Lakers (another team they root for). 

When Isaiah Thomas complained that he didn’t know why they benched him in the fourth quarter . . . I hope they used film to explain it to him.  He is stinking up the floor with his inability to play defense, his unwillingness to pass the ball, and his penchant for throwing bricks or throwing it away.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Boy, the Cavs are really struggling. And even if they do pick up DeAndre Jordan or George Hill, I don't see them returning to conference champion form.

IT is a disaster for them.  No defense and a big mouth. 

• Love 3

Today is NBA trade deadline (at 3pm.) We just got our first significant trade of the day. According to Adrian Wojnaroskwi on Twitter the Lakers have decided to trade Larry Nance Jr, and Jordan Clarkson to the Cavs for Isaiah Thomas, Channing Fyre and the Cavs own first round pick. Unfortunately, Isaiah hasn't been fitting in well with the Cavs and they felt the need to move him, even though he recently said he didn't want to be traded again.

Edited by Jx223

Here is some more information about the Cavs largely changing up their roster with trades from Adrian (Including a three team trade)

Utah has decided to trade Rodney Hood to the Cavs, Utah will send Joe Johnson to Sacramento and Cleveland will send Derek Rose and Jae Crowder to Utah. Sacramento will also send George Hill to the Cavs and Cleveland will send Iman Shumpert to the Kings.

And Dwyane Wade is being traded back to Miami. 

The Cavs have really changed up the roster to try and win the East/get LeBron to stay. I am interested in seeing how things work out for them.

Edited by Jx223

Today is NBA trade deadline (at 3pm.) We just got our first significant trade of the day. According to Adrian Wojnaroskwi on Twitter the Lakers have decided to trade Larry Nance Jr, and Jordan Clarkson to the Cavs for Isaiah Thomas, Channing Fyre and the Cavs own first round pick. Unfortunately, Isaiah hasn't been fitting in well with the Cavs and they felt the need to move him, even though he recently said he didn't want to be traded again.

Our mush for brains of a GM (Koby Altman) actually did something productive for a change. All I can say about Isiah Thomas is GTFO!!  I never liked him & even when he was good last season for the Celtics, he is & will always be inferior to Kyrie Irving. I'm sure that the Lakers might be stupid enough to give him that $200 Million contract at the end of the season. The Cavaliers have been absolute crap for almost 2 months & he wasn't much of a help.

It is just too bad that we had to give up that 1st round pick (from Brooklyn) for the next NBA Draft to the Lakers to get rid of this scrub. I don't even know where Brooklyn is right now in draft position. 

Derrick Rose & Jae Crowder can also GTFO. 

I don't even know if Larry Nance Jr,  Jordan Clarkson, George Hill, or Rodney Hood can play any defense worth a damn. But, I really hope that this trade is a kick in the face that this team needs. Now, whether it keeps LeBron in Cleveland next season, I still don't know. 

Edited by Magog
38 minutes ago, Magog said:

It is just too bad that we had to give up that 1st round pick (from Brooklyn) for the next NBA Draft to the Lakers to get rid of this scrub.

Cleveland didn't trade the Brooklyn pick. They've still got it.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Magog said:

But, I really hope that this trade is a kick in the face that this team needs. Now, whether it keeps LeBron in Cleveland next season, I still don't know. 

I wonder how this new version of the Cavs will fare and what their chemistry will be like.  The Cavs tend to struggle to adjust a bit when they have a new lineup. Though in the last lineup with IT they really struggled. I wonder if the Cavs will have struggle to adjust at first with this new lineup and if so, how long that will last.

I do think that them getting the two young players from the Lakers could help them. I feel like they need some youth and energy on the team. They had the oldest roster in the league before they made all of these trades today. 

Also, in some more news in regards to today's trades. Utah will release Derrick Rose and it's being reported that he will probably sign with the T-Wolves. And Joe Johnson is also expected to be bought out by the Kings and may sign with a contender. And it's being reported by Marc Stein that the Cavs may sign Kendrick Perkins to be a veteran presence in their locker room.

Edited by Jx223

Thank Goodness IT3 is gone!  The Cavs have sucked since he "came back".  They had to do something, esp w/Kevin out right now.  I never wanted him, Derrick or Dwayne in the first place.  Esp Dwayne.  He's way past his retirement.  

Since IT3 has played for five teams in 6 or 7 years, I wonder if it's him.  Good luck trying to play with LaVar Lonzo.

Larry Nance Jr!  Welcome home son!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Veteran presence. . . in a locker room controlled by LeBron. 

Sure, that makes sense. Is he with Klutch?

1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

I wasn't aware that Perkins was still playing.

Kendrick has been playing with the Cavs G-League affliate (the Canton Charge) this year and even went with the Cavs to training camp and pre-training camp earlier in the season. It's being speculated they may want to use him to help fill a role that Channing Fyre had in the locker room. They may want him around as the team is transitioning with this new lineup of veterans and young players.

http://lebronwire.usatoday.com/2018/02/08/report-cavs-expected-to-fill-roster-spot-with-kendrick-perkins/

Rick Adelman's Son R.J. Dies at Age 44 After Being Hit by Car Crossing Street

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2758458-rick-adelmans-son-rj-dies-at-age-44-after-being-hit-by-car-crossing-street?iid=ob_lockedrail_bottomlist

R.J. Adelman, a former NBA assistant coach and son of former NBA head coach Rick Adelman, died Feb. 2 after being struck by a car.

He was 44.

According to a police report obtained by TMZ Sports, Adelman was walking in downtown Houston when he was hit by an 80-year-old woman driving a minivan. Adelman, who was not using the crosswalk, was transported to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead four hours after the accident.

So sad.  Former Trail Blazers fan here, really liked Adelman a lot when he coached here.  (It was during their Drexler heyday.)

• Love 2

Cavs at Celtics today. Pregame show host Billups asks Paul Pierce on his jersey retirement day if he got IT traded. He laughs and says that was Lebron. He also said they got rid of the egos. Pierce speaks the truth!

• Love 1

I know it's early but I think that so far the New Cavs look really good. They did a nice job defensively today and played very well together. The young players were hustling, very energetic and had good attitudes that affected the team in a very positive manner. LeBron definitely needs to embrace them, youthful energy and play like that is really good for the team.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 4

Fergie’s National Anthem debacle makes me appreciate the Cavs even more.  In Cleveland the singer starts the anthem and then everyone joins in — not a performance but a participatory event.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Fergie’s National Anthem debacle makes me appreciate the Cavs even more.  In Cleveland the singer starts the anthem and then everyone joins in — not a performance but a participatory event.

It happens in Baltimore, too (NFL and MLB). I love it when the crowd shouts ‘OOOHHH!! Say does that star-spangled...’ I know it’s a tribute to the Baltimore Orioles and isn’t exactly patriotic, but the crowd participation is fun. 

Have you seen the link to the video of Draymond Green chuckling during her rendition? He insists he wasn’t laughing at Fergie, but the timing of it is priceless.

• Love 3

I did see the video.  Whoever likened it to Marilyn Monroe’s rendition of Happy Birthday, Mr. President was right on the mark.  I applaud Draymond’s attempt to deflect:  “No, I wasn’t laughing at her.  At that very moment I just happened to remember a joke that was really, really funny.”

• Love 4

There's been a lot of good takes on James Harden soul-crushing crossover on Wesley Johnson, but here's my second favorite (behind the temporary Wikipedia edit of Johnson's page): Due to recent events, Dick's Sporting Goods will no longer carry James Harden jerseys.

I've seen that crossover for the umpteenth time and, I swear, I don't get all the hype.  It's not like no one has ever done that to someone else before.  Plus, Harden did shove the guy and it looked to me like the guy just lost his footing.  So I say, Big Whoop.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I've seen that crossover for the umpteenth time and, I swear, I don't get all the hype.  It's not like no one has ever done that to someone else before.  Plus, Harden did shove the guy and it looked to me like the guy just lost his footing.  So I say, Big Whoop.

It's not the crossover itself, there's been far better on And1 mixtapes, it's the crossover+the 2 second pause+the stare+the waiting 'til a defender starts running at him+draining the three.

• Love 4
(edited)
37 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

It's not the crossover itself, there's been far better on And1 mixtapes, it's the crossover+the 2 second pause+the stare+the waiting 'til a defender starts running at him+draining the three.

And I thought he just looked stupid, rather than "awesome" like some sports reporters seemed to imply.   And the so--called defender just stood around waited long enough for Harden to set up and drain the three, which is a lot easier to do when no on is defending you.  I still say Big Whoop.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

I've kind of been ignoring the Mark Cuban story since I heard about it.  Not because I dont believe it or I dont care, I think I was just kind if numb to it. Like geez, another rich white man with a decent reputation and personality is accused of mistreating women or looking the other way as someone else did it as it relates to Cuban.  But I just finished watching the PTI segment about this where they said Cuban allegedly stuck his hand down some woman's pants and penetrated her while they were posing for a picture.  Um WHAT?  That is insane.  I dont know if there are receipts out there like with Donald Sterling,  but this could be biggg problems for Cuban regardless.

Last night's game was somewhat fun. The Raptors (that I find somewhat rootable) scored 79 points against the Cavaliers & (thankfully) they still lost. The Cavaliers are still in a muck & the coach is currently in hiatus (hopefully Tyrone Lue will get himself better), but it is still an improvement over what it was over a month ago. 

As for the Western Conference, It is pretty much 1 & 2. Teams in 3 -10 are not worth a damn & the Warriors are licking their chops over who they're going to massacre in Rounds 1 & 2 in the Playoffs. I'm still not convinced that the Rockets are going to beat those Warriors in the Playoffs. If the Rocketsbomehow win 2 games in that series, then they should count that as a blessing & go home. 

Edited by Magog
(edited)

YES!

For the first time ever, my Raptors have clinched the top seed! The road to the Final runs through the North!

Still gotta worry about the Cavs, and the 76ers, and hell you can't even sleep on the Celts, (even without Kyrie.) But nice to know that any series the Raps play will require the other guys to win in Toronto. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1

Clap your hands everybody
For Philadelphia 76ers

Stomp your feet, everybody
For Philadelphia 76ers

Here  they come, Philadelphia
On the run, Stand up and cheer
#1, Philadelphia
Here they come, team of the year

• Love 5

I was actually wandering around the house singing that song this morning. 

The Sixers are now on a thirteen game win streak that will probably get them a fifty win season.

Two years ago they only managed to win ten games.

• Love 5

Pacers are close to winning 50 games (likely will be 49) this year after losing the best player in franchise history

And they managed to do it without tanking for 4 straight years. 

So.......great, 76ers managed to produce one good winning season in 5.  Tanking works!!  (Eventually.......)

Last day of the season! Everybody except the top 16 get outta the pool!

Lots left to decide on this Wednesday.

In the East, looks like the Cavs can still climb into third with a little help and the Bucks, Heat and Wiz are still moving around at the bottom of the bracket. Not to mention my Raptors can climb to 60 wins for the first time in franchise history with a win!

In the West it's a freaking mess, the Rockets and Warriors are waiting at the top of the bracket, but nothing else is certain. The Jazz and Blazers play tonight for the 3rd seed and the T Wolves and Nuggets are tied in the 8th and 9th spots right now and play each other tonight! Gotta love a winner take all match!

Let's get this over with and start the second season!

• Love 2

The playoffs seeding are now all set. I thought that tonight was a good final night of the NBA regular season and it was interesting seeing how a lot of the seeds landed.

I am glad that the Pacers are back in the playoffs. After the Cavs loss tonight and Philly's win, the Pacers will be playing the Cavs in the playoffs in the first round. Philly will be the 3rd seed and will be going up against the Miami Heat. The Sixers have done a very good job of getting to 50+wins and winning 16 games in a row. I think they could do well in the playoffs this year.

I am also glad that OKC ended up with the 4th seed. The Thunder have had an up and down year, and were in danger of being the 8th seed tonight had they lost to Memphis. But they got the win, and things worked out to where they will get the 4th seed and face the Jazz. The Jazz have been playing well lately, but I think that this is a more favorable matchup than if the OKC played Houston as the 8th seed. 

Minnesota also did a nice job of getting the final seed after beating the Nuggets tonight. The T-Wolves have also had an up and down year especially after Jimmy Butler missed several games due to injury. But they managed to get to the playoffs for  the first time in 14 years.

Edited by Jx223

The NBA Playoffs will start this weekend. 

EAST 

(1) Raptors - (8) Wizards - Go Raptors & the Wizards suck. Especially Stephen A Smith's new punching bag, John Wall.

(2) Celtics - (7) Bucks - I like the Greek Freak. That's all I can say about this series. 

(3) 76ers - (6) Heat - This series is a toss up.

(4) Cavaliers - (5) Pacers - The Cavaliers despite their "meh" but much better performance lately, they should have no problem putting down the Pacers.

WEST

(1) Rockets - (8) Timberwolves - All I can say about this series is "meh."

(2) Warriors - (7) Spurs - This series is already over. My naps while those Warriors are pummeling the Spurs would be more entertaining. 

(3) Trail Blazers - (6) Pelicans - Other than watching Anthony Davis, I can't seem to get excited about this series. 

(4) Thunder - (5) Jazz - It might be a somewhat fun series & that is pushing it. 

Basically 3-6 & 4-5 are basically sacrificial lambs  to those Warriors. Even without Stephen Curry (he's fine BTW), they're definitely licking their chops over who they're going to beat the crap out of whoever they play in the 2nd round.

I still don't think the Rockets are going to beat the Warriors if they meet. The Rockets will find a way to mess things up for themselves & the Warriors will find a way to defeat them. I also find the Rockets to be sacrificial lambs to those Warriors. Plus, ESPN is always bootlicking for the Warriors & they certainly don't want the Rockets to beat the Warriors.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:49 AM, Magog said:

The NBA Playoffs will start this weekend...

Basically 3-6 & 4-5 are basically sacrificial lambs  to those Warriors. Even without Stephen Curry (he's fine BTW), they're definitely licking their chops over who they're going to beat the crap out of whoever they play in the 2nd round.

I still don't think the Rockets are going to beat the Warriors if they meet. The Rockets will find a way to mess things up for themselves & the Warriors will find a way to defeat them. I also find the Rockets to be sacrificial lambs to those Warriors. Plus, ESPN is always bootlicking for the Warriors & they certainly don't want the Rockets to beat the Warriors.

I am excited that the NBA playoffs officially start today. I think there are a lot of interesting matchups. I actually think that the Warriors could possibly be upset in these playoffs. (and if so during one of the Western Conference rounds). They haven't been playing that well lately. Though, maybe that will change in these playoffs (especially after Steph comes back.) 

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:17 AM, Jx223 said:

According to ESPN both Jeff Hornacek and Frank Vogel have been fired as head coaches of the Knicks and Magic.  I like Frank Vogel and wish him the best.

Vogel did a good job when he was with the Pacers.

I'm sure he will get another chance somewhere.  The magic are just a mess, no one is winning there

Will not be surprised if the Hornets coach (Steve Clifford, for those outside the Charlotte area and who could not pick him out of a police line up, which is most fans) is fired as well, even though I don't put a lot of the blame on him for the team.  The downside would be Dwight Howard actually played great this year and Clifford was one of the reasons he was brought to the team, they had a history together. If Clifford leaves, not sure what happens with Howard.   Actually I think they were in Orlando together before, so maybe that becomes the deal with that team having a vacancy.  Howard and Clifford go back to Orlando?  What do the Magic have that the Hornets would want though?  Draft picks?  What is a 33 or so year old Howard worth?  All just speculation.....

Pacers just dominated the Cavs today, even with Lebron playing almost the entire game.  Not sure why they didn't have him in the paint and down low more today, would expect that to happen in Game 2.  That is his first First Round playoff game loss in 6 years.  Not first series loss, he has never lost a first round series.  His first playoff GAME lost in the first round in 6 years. 

Edited by DrSpaceman
  • Love 1