Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

According to different sources including Brian Windhorst, there is a three way trade going on involving the Cleveland Cavaliers, New York Knicks and Oklahoma City Thunder. It's being reported that it's being negotiated that Dion Waters will be traded to the Thunder, JR Smith and Iman Shumpert with go to Cleveland, and Reggie Jackson will go to the Knicks.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24937661/report-dion-waiters-reggie-jackson-jr-smith-involved-in-3-way-trade

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/05/report-cavs-trade-dion-waiters-to-thunder-get-knicks-jr-smith-and-iman-Shumpert/

Here is a bit of an update on this trade. It looks like Reggie Jackson might be staying put on the Thunder for now (Though it's the final year of his contract). It looks like JR smith and Iman Shumpert are still going to the Cleveland,  and that Dion is still going to the Thunder. ESPN is saying that in this trade the Knicks are going to get three players with nonguaranteed contracts -- Alex Kirk and Lou Amundson from the Cavs and Lance Thomas from the Thunder. It's also being reported that the Knicks will waive center Samuel Dalembert, and that them getting rid of Smith, Shumpert and Dalembert will save them 20 million dollars in salary and luxury taxes.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12125440/jr-smith-dion-waiters-involved-3-team-trade-new-york-knicks-cleveland-cavaliers-oklahoma-city-thunder

Edited by Jx223

In the past week I watched both the Sixers and the Knicks play two games. (And I kind of hate myself for having done it.) 

The Knicks without Carmelo are by far the worst team in the league. And the circus is just beginning. I knew Fisher's pep talk time out was going to become a "thing". And I'm not sure it was a good move for Phil to tell fans to stop picking on him. Moms do that, not GMs.

Somewhere Isiah Thomas is howling with laughter.

In the past week I watched both the Sixers and the Knicks play two games. (And I kind of hate myself for having done it.) 

The Knicks without Carmelo are by far the worst team in the league. And the circus is just beginning. I knew Fisher's pep talk time out was going to become a "thing". And I'm not sure it was a good move for Phil to tell fans to stop picking on him. Moms do that, not GMs.

Somewhere Isiah Thomas is howling with laughter.

Any team that loses its star or stars is going to look like a lesser team. Hell, you take Davis and Holiday away from the Pelicans, and they kind of suck, too.

Milwaukee has definitely improved noticeably this year. I would credit Kidd as well.

As for Chicago...I'm always hesitant to believe in them with Rose's history of injuries. 

The Bucks are the first team ever to double their previous season's win total before the all-star break!  They bought out Larry Sanders for $13M-15M  

Go Bucks!

I'm not sure Sixers GM Sam Hinkie understands how the NBA works. He seems to think that the team with the most draft picks wins.

On Tuesday the Sixers started their 2015-16 ticket campaign with the slogan "This Starts Now." On Thursday they traded their best player and the guy that is third in rookie scoring per game. Oops.

I'm a long time Sixers fan and have never been as conflicted/confused for any of the teams I cheer for. I can't really root for the Sixers to win because they really need to put themselves in the best position for the lottery. I watched the Knicks/Lakers game not knowing who to root for because, while I wanted the Knicks to win to better the Sixers chances in the lottery, I also wanted the Lakers to win so the Sixers get their protected pick they own.

So confusing.

Edited by xaxat

I have been thinking all season that the Thunder we're going to get healthy and make a run. Seems like I was wrong there.

I feel like it's still the Spurs most likely. The experience and just flat out knowing how to win I think will overtake flashy teams like the Warriors or Hawks. And I don't think Cleveland is there at all.

(edited)

I am hoping that this will be the year the Spurs will finally FINALLY be put out to pasture.  Their reign of dominance (read:terror) has come to an end.  I am 10000% on the Warriors bandwagon.  I just love me some Steph Curry.  Every time he makes an incredible pass or breaks ankles I can't help think how we (the Knicks) were 1 pick away from drafting him.  *Le Sigh*. 

I also want the Warriors to win it all, because there's always been this idea that shooting teams aren't capable of winning championships.  The game slows down in the playoffs; you have to be able to throw it down low to a big man; blah blah blah....and my favorite "you live by the 3 you die by the 3".  Will LIVE BABY LIVE!!  The Warriors are capable of being the exception.  The team is DEEP.  For their offense to completely stall, at least 4 players would have to be in a slump.  And even then they would still have a chance because they play great defense.  

For the East, I guess its between Cleveland and Atlanta.  And I'm just not sold on Atlanta even though I would actually prefer if Atlanta did make it to the finals, just because I like LeBron and I'm not sure his "legacy" could handle another Finals loss...and I do believe whoever comes out of the West (hopefully the Warriors) will win the championship.  But, my head says Cleveland and LeBron specifically will find a way to get pass the Hawks.  I can't even think of another team that has a shot.

Edited by FuriousStyles
I feel like it's still the Spurs most likely. The experience and just flat out knowing how to win I think will overtake flashy teams like the Warriors or Hawks.

Don't know if I would call the Hawks "flashy"..they go by the same system the Spurs do with the Pop-Bud connection.

I am hoping that this will be the year the Spurs will finally FINALLY be put out to pasture.

Not likely...considering they're #2 in the West.

It wasn't the best played game by any means, but Pacers-Wizards last might was intriguing and exciting.  Double OT win for the Pacers with the last playoffs spot, even if it is in the pathetic east, on the line.  More than once I thought it was over and then the Pacers would basically be out of it since Brooklyn SHOULD beat Orlando tonight, but they kept fighting back. 

Should be a great playoffs.  The NBA playoffs in the last 3 years or so has really taken off in terms of interest and excitement.  I still think they drag it all out WAY too long, but I really have no idea who is going to win in either conference.  The east is easier to narrow down, I really can't see any serious contenders beyond Cleveland, Chicago and maybe Atlanta, although the Hawks lack of playoff experience I think will haunt them against any veteran team.  The West though is just wide open. 

I'd like to congratulate my Sacramento Kings on again improving year over year:

Year W L PCT
2014-15 29 53 .353
2013-14 28 54 .341
2012-13 28 54 .341
2011-12 22 44 .333
2010-11 24 58 .292

Watch out for us in the 2046-47 season!!!

I'm pulling for the Warriors now, because they are local and because it would be something different for a change.  No more Spurs!

• Love 2

I'd like to congratulate my Sacramento Kings on again improving year over year:

Year W L PCT

2014-15 29 53 .353

2013-14 28 54 .341

2012-13 28 54 .341

2011-12 22 44 .333

2010-11 24 58 .292

Watch out for us in the 2046-47 season!!!

I'm pulling for the Warriors now, because they are local and because it would be something different for a change.  No more Spurs!

I'm not a big NBA fan and don't care about the Kings, even though I live in the Sacramento area, but it was still nice to see them beat the Lakers on back to back nights to end the season.

I can't wait for the NBA Lottery on May 19th. I really hope that the NY Knicks & LA Lakers don't get a top 3 pick. I can't root for either one of them (though I like Kobe & Swaggy P) & seeing both them suck this season made me very happy. Besides, I want the Lakers to suffer what the Knicks have been going through for the past 10 or so yrs. Its not like the NBA was losing any sleep this season because the Lakers had their worst season ever as a franchise.

Here are the 1st Round matchups.

EAST

Hawks - Nets

Celtics - Cavaliers

Bulls - Bucks

Wizards - Raptors

WEST

Warriors - Pelicans

Rockets - Mavericks

Clippers - Spurs

Grizzlies - Trail Blazers

As for the NBA Playoffs, I know that ESPN loves LeBron James a lot, but I'm certain that they don't want the Cavaliers to win it all because they just love to gloss over the constant failure of Cleveland not winning a championship since the Browns in 1964. Even Stephen A Smith admitted over numerous occasions that he would not be happy if he have to go to the NBA Finals in Cleveland. They would rather have Seth Curry & the Warriors (their favorite team at the moment) win it all than Cleveland.

Edited by Magog

As for the NBA Playoffs, I know that ESPN loves LeBron James a lot, but I'm certain that they don't want the Cavaliers to win it all because they just love to gloss over the constant failure of Cleveland not winning a championship since the Browns in 1964. Even Stephen A Smith admitted over numerous occasions that he would not be happy if he have to go to the NBA Finals in Cleveland. They would rather have Seth Curry & the Warriors (their favorite team at the moment) win it all than Cleveland.

Stephen Smith can go $/#$==# himself, Cleveland is a grest town and I miss it. Rock N Roll HOF, West Side Market is uniqye, boating excursions, The Warehouse Dustrict nightlife, Michael Symon's world famous 'Lola's', one of the few free art museums in the world, Severance Center & the world famoud Cleveland Orchestra, Wade Park, the Cleveland Zoo, Emerald Necklace (the park district that surrounds the city).,,,

And the Cleveland Force - MISL - won 2 championships; tho I no soccer really doesn't count as a major s9ort.

I can't wait for the NBA Lottery on May 19th. I really hope that the NY Knicks & LA Lakers don't get a top 3 pick. I can't root for either one of them (though I like Kobe & Swaggy P) & seeing both them suck this season made me very happy. Besides, I want the Lakers to suffer what the Knicks have been going through for the past 10 or so yrs. Its not like the NBA was losing any sleep this season because the Lakers had their worst season ever as a franchise.

Haven't the Knicks suffered enough?  I can understand the Lakers....They've won a couple of championships during the last decade.  But sheesh, I can't even remember the Knicks being serious contenders.  Aside from the one year we won 50+ games its been a lot of suckage already.  I for one, hope we get a top pick and actually use it wisely.  I'm tired of these quick fix type trades.  Please just draft a player to build around and go from there (unless of course we can get LaMarcus Aldrige or Marc Gasol....then by all means, trade away).

Edited by FuriousStyles

Here are the 1st Round matchups.

I love the playoffs, but I've only had a chance to watch two games so far: Game 2 of the Bulls-Bucks and Game 2 of the GS Warriors-Pelicans. Both were quite entertaining.

--Derrick Rose looks great. He's the quickest and best ball-handling point-guard I've ever seen. He doesn't drive to the basket as much as Westbrook, but he's a genius when it comes to directing the offense and distributing the ball. And he does take shots when necessary. I just hope he stays healthy.

--GS is now 2-0, but in Game 2, they looked very beatable. The only thing that saved them from losing to the Pelicans was their hot shooting streak in the 4th quarter and a bunch of stupid turnovers by New Orleans.

Well, JR Smith won't be playing for 2 games for wacking Jae Crowder & Kevin Love is definitely not playing in the next series (probably against the Bulls) because of the shoulder. I may still haven't warmed up to Kevin Love, but his absence will make beating the Bulls in the next series a lot more difficult. 

As for JR Smith, I can't say that I'm surprised by what he did. I guess that he still doesn't get it. Hopefully, this won't derail the Cavaliers title run. I was too focus on the Cavs winning Game 4 to realize what a dumb mistake he made. Right now, I'm not very happy about this. 

I'm also not happy that the Raptors basically lay down & play dead against the Wizards. I like the Raptors & I want them to succeed, but it was very disheartening by them basically giving up after Game 2. 

AHhh.....the REAL JR Smith has finally shown his ugly, moronic head.  I was starting to wonder.  He and Ron Artest are such interesting creatures.  No matter how much you think they've changed...how much THEY think they've changed,  at any given moment they will revert back to what they know.   

The only reason I give a hoot about the Raptors laying down like dead dogs is because they basically proved that a-hole Paul Pierce right.  Other than that, I couldn't care less.  

I don't like the Clippers, but I hate the Spurs even more, so I just hope the Clips can find a way to pull it out.  Win the next two games, because letting it get to a game 7, even at home, is dangerous.

YESSSS! I can't believe the Clips did it. I wont have to see the Spurs for the rest of the playoffs...THANK YOU Clippers!! Wohhoo. Now if only Manny can knock out Mayweather tonight. (Yeah I know, im getting greedy).

• Love 1

Great game. Felt more like a WCF game 7 than a first round. Can't believe Duncan and Parker still have it in them to hit shots when the team needs it. Congrats to the Clips.

Oh HELL YES! We really needed that after having to watch Derrick Rose beat us at the buzzer on Friday Night. I was freaking out throughout the game & it was hard to watch at times. Le Bron made sure that the Cavs don't go down 3-1 & for that, I am very happy right now.

Or maybe Paul Pierce did?

I thought that I couldn't find someone to really hate in the NBA like Robert Horry. But, Paul Pierce is definitely on that list. I can never ever root for him. I couldn't root for him when he was with the Celtics & I sure as hell won't root for the Wizards because of him.

Great games and series so far. Grizzlies look fantastic, especially with Conley out there. Being a Lakers fan I hate Pierce, but that bank shot made me smile. He still has it. The Lebron shot did not make me smile but the Bulls had no business winning that game with their bonehead shot selections.

This years' playoffs are almost the opposite of last season's. In 2014, the first round was exciting, but the 2nd round, not so much. This year, the 1st round was fairly routine, but the 2nd round has been very exciting.

I agree for the most part, which is why I was happy the Clipper/Spurs series was in the first round (vs. the Conference finals like everybody wanted).  It provided a lot of excitement to an otherwise mundane 1st round.  

I think if the Clips and Warriors meet in the West, that is going to be a really exciting series.  

I am shocked at how relatively easily the Bulls lost to the Cavs.

I was very happy, but kind of surprised that the Bulls basically rolled over & play dead during the 2nd half. I finally relaxed for a change while watching the 4th Quarter of Game 6. Thankfully, I won't have a Game 7 to worry about. Hopefully, Kyrie Irving will healed up by Wednesday Night, because the Cavs will certainly not win it all without him.

I think if the Clips and Warriors meet in the West, that is going to be a really exciting series.

They need to find a way to beat the Rockets on Sunday first. i can't believe that the Clippers basically choked last night. Up by 19 near the end of the 3rd Quarter, they flat out blew it. What a bunch of losers & I know that Kobe was laughing at them while watching the comeback. James Harden (the Rockets best player) wasn't even a part of that comeback. I think they're going to lose on Sunday. And what is with this notion that Clippers are cursed? There is nothing cursed about that team (except having a crappy owner) & Cleveland is more cursed than them. 

Holy shit the Clippers lost that game? I fell asleep and never even thought to actually check.

I think it is crazy to fire a coach who makes the playoffs. I thought it was crazy that the Thunder fired their coach given the injuries they had all year. There should be a bit more leniency.

Except for Derek Fisher. He can go.

(edited)

The Cavs are a MASH unit at this point. I have been so impressed with their grit, but it feels like a strong breeze could topple their starting lineup right now.

Edited by Crs97

And what is with this notion that Clippers are cursed? There is nothing cursed about that team (except having a crappy owner) & Cleveland is more cursed than them.

No team that has gotten Lebron once (let alone twice) can be considered cursed. I would like to throw the Knicks into the "most cursed because of crappy owner" sweepstakes. Dolan actually tried to hire Isiah Thomas to run the Liberty. Thats just the kind of brilliant decision-making Im talking about. While running the men's pro team, Isiah gets himself caught up in some sexual harassment stuff, which cost millions to settle and Dolan thinks it a great idea to put him in charge of the women's team, and doesnt think to run it by the league commissioner (who is also a woman, btw). I know people like to throw this phrase around, but I truly believe as long as he owns the team we will never win another championship.

Anyway, I didnt get a chance to watch the games last night but im surprised the Clippers didnt put away the Rockets. I still dont know if they'll lose the series because I simply dont trust the Rockets at all even at home and the Clips have just been through hell with the Spurs so they have that experience (or it could work against them and they'll be fatigued). I honestly dont know.

The basketball gods giveth and the basketball gods taketh away. Im so glad I dont have to hear or see Paul Pierce's smug mug the rest of this year. I couldnt imagine how insufferable he'd be if he hit 2 buzzer beaters in one series (even if this latest one was just to tie the game).

• Love 1

I don't know why on earth any team would hire IsiahThomas for anything. Horrible coach. I watched the Pacers waste three years towards the end of Reggie Miller's career while he muddled around ineffectively and squandered talent. ANd THAT was actually probably his most successful tenure anywhere. His prior work with the Knicks was an absolute trainwreck in every single way. No idea what Dolan is thinking.......but then yes, its Dolan. The Jerry Jones/Al Davis of the NBA.

Holy shit the Clippers lost that game? I fell asleep and never even thought to actually check.

I think it is crazy to fire a coach who makes the playoffs. I thought it was crazy that the Thunder fired their coach given the injuries they had all year. There should be a bit more leniency.

Except for Derek Fisher. He can go.

Sometimes you just need a change to make it further. I can see why Chicago would make a change. Not sure about OK city, but it seems obvious based how Chicago finished this series that something different is needed there.

Some coaches are only successful a short time and then wear out their welcome. I love Larry Brown and he is a great coach, but he is good for about 3 years only in any one place. After that, likely time to move on

Which is just inexcusable since they haven't won shit as a team or individually and didnt have home court to lean on. Im giving a good chunk of the blame to Doc Rivers, who apparently had this happen to him before when he coached in Orlando, so he of all people should know the dangers of being complacent. He should have had his team ready to finish off the Rockets if not in game 5 certainly by game 6.

But anyway, on to the conference finals. I am still high on the Warriors. I think it will be a good series but I think the Warriors can get it done in 6.

Dont know about the east. Im leaning toward the Cavs only because of Lebron, but Atlanta having more of a complete team (and home court) could be trouble.

(edited)

How did the Clippers blow their 3-1 lead?

I have no idea. They choked in Game 6 & they certainly didn't put much of an effort in Game 7. Other than Chris Paul, I don't have any sympathy for the Clippers. The only bad thing about the Clippers choking is that scum bag Dwight Howard is still playing.

I know that Kobe & Magic Johnson (especially) was thrilled that the Clippers fell flat on their faces. I'm surprised that we haven't heard much from Magic Johnson lately about him hating on the Clippers. 

I don't know who will represent the Lakers at the NBA Lottery tonight, but I hope that is either Kobe (because he's Kobe), Swaggy P (he's very funny & I love his attitude), or owner Jim Buss (Stephen A Smith hates him very much & probably will want to strangle him in person). I also hope that the Lakers & Knicks don't get a Top 3 pick. I don't want either of them getting a Top 3 pick & people saying that they're on their way back to being relevant next season. They both need to suffer for a long while (especially the Lakers).

Dont know about the east. Im leaning toward the Cavs only because of Lebron, but Atlanta having more of a complete team (and home court) could be trouble.

Its going to be difficult, but I think the Cavs are going to get it done against the Hawks. It'll probably take 6 games to get rid of them. Hopefully, it won't be like what happened 5 yrs ago against the Orlando Magic (losing to them in 6 games). I'm still very infuriated about that. 

Edited by Magog

I have no idea. They choked in Game 6 & they certainly didn't put much of an effort in Game 7. Other than Chris Paul, I don't have any sympathy for the Clippers. The only bad thing about the Clippers choking is that scum bag Dwight Howard is still playing.

I know that Kobe & Magic Johnson (especially) was thrilled that the Clippers fell flat on their faces. I'm surprised that we haven't heard much from Magic Johnson lately about him hating on the Clippers. 

I don't know who will represent the Lakers at the NBA Lottery tonight, but I hope that is either Kobe (because he's Kobe), Swaggy P (he's very funny & I love his attitude), or owner Jim Buss (Stephen A Smith hates him very much & probably will want to strangle him in person). I also hope that the Lakers & Knicks don't get a Top 3 pick. I don't want either of them getting a Top 3 pick & people saying that they're on their way back to being relevant next season. They both need to suffer for a long while (especially the Lakers).

Its going to be difficult, but I think the Cavs are going to get it done against the Hawks. It'll probably take 6 games to get rid of them. Hopefully, it won't be like what happened 5 yrs ago against the Orlando Magic (losing to them in 6 games). I'm still very infuriated about that. 

I think Lebron was already tuned out and was thinking about his "decision" during that Orlando series.  I don't think thats the case here.  Will be surprised if Atalnta is able to beat them

Lebron and Steph Curry I think is the match up most people want in the finals.  Its what I would prefer