Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, isalicat said:

I don't see him following Popovich's example and coaching on and on. I mean he only has nine rings already!

And Pop is a great example of how a good coach working for a great organization can easily equal mediocre play once the all timer retires.  The whole Kawhi thing is still bizarre, but the bottom line is it's unlikely for even a great organization to have back to back HOFers. 

• Like 1
(edited)

Since there is nothing on TV right now (other than ESPN First Take trying to justify Kyrie to the Lakers or Knicks) & I'm basically a glutton for punishment & migraine headaches. I'm going to suck it up & watch that sucky stomach-turning Warriors Parade now & trying not to get queasy. This is going to be like I'm one of those people on Clockwork Orange being tortured by watching this. Its going to be like watching Darth Vader and/or Judge Doom (Roger Rabbit) having a victory parade. Hopefully, Draymond will bring in the funny & entertainment to make this tolerable. I expect nothing less from that classy gentleman.

Edited by Magog
  • Hugs 1
17 hours ago, isalicat said:

To continue in an *entirely speculative* mode, at best (barring injury) Steph has another four years at top level and at that point Steve Kerr will be 60 (plus the years of stress from coaching at the NBA level!). I would think they would both be ready for a new challenge of some sort - Steph is already building a business/entertainment empire and Steve Kerr dips his toes circumspectly into the public sphere so could go full tilt into public policy/politics/who knows? or move into a GM role with the Warriors....lots of possibilities. I don't see him following Popovich's example and coaching on and on. I mean he only has nine rings already!

Still though that's all speculation for FOUR years from now?  That's an eternity in pro sports.  So much can happen. 

And on the opposite end there has been some speculation that steph may choose to come back to Charlotte to end his career, which is just as valid as think both will leave in 4 years. If you're speculating take the charlotte job and try to make that happen. 

It's such a weak and feckless move to back out for many reasons. Yes charlotte had a weak history but they aren't horrible right now.  There are much worse off teams. 

8 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And on the opposite end there has been some speculation that steph may choose to come back to Charlotte to end his career, which is just as valid as think both will leave in 4 years.

He’s already extended to his age 38 season, and if he plays beyond that, it’ll probably be for GSW. He’s previously remarked about how special it’s been to be able to stay with one team this long. I think it would take several major catastrophes for him to leave at the end of his career.

• Like 7
(edited)

I was hoping that Draymond would bring in the entertainment to help me stomach through that parade & he delivered. Draymond was being Draymond throughout the parade & this speech show us even more why he is so damn funny, lovable, & classy.

Draymond Green speech at the Victory Parade

And here is some more of Draymond being Draymond at the parade.

Draymond being Draymond at the Victory Parade

Steph was being his usual eyeroll inducing smug self in the parade & he did not bring in the fun with his humble self like Draymond does. Frankly, Steph irritates me deeply & liking him is like hugging a cactus. Draymond is very charming & liking him is like hugging a teddy bear. Why can't Steph be less like Gallant & act more like Draymond?

Even Gary Payton Jr made me laugh with his excitement during the parade. 

I don't know who that guy is that became the first Mexican to win an NBA Title. But, it is the first time that I ever heard of him. I don't think he played very much for those Warriors.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1

Funny, it would never occur to me to use "Draymond" and "classy" in the same sentence.  I like him but he ain't "classy."  I bet those players were holding their breaths before he gave his speech and, of course, he threw out an f-bomb at the end.   

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Magog said:

I don't know who that guy is that became the first Mexican to win an NBA Title. But, it is the first time that I ever heard of him. I don't think he played very much for those Warriors.

That’s Juan Toscano-Anderson, who played more in the regular season. He’s had an awesome story. He’s an Oakland native and actually went to a Warriors camp as a kid partly because one of his teachers was Al Attles’ wife. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 5

To expand on what I said about Steph not leaving for Charlotte, even at the tail end of his career, here’s a story about how he eventually was heavily recruited after his freshman year at Davidson, but by that point he said he was gonna stick with Davidson.

This Chet Holmgren kid makes me uncomfortable just looking at him. He looks like his limbs would snap if you leaned on him too hard. Yet I read something from him where he claimed he didn't think he'd need to put much weight on to play in the NBA.

Even Porzingis had more muscle than this guy, and has put a lot more on since being drafted, and he cannot stay healthy.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Yet I read something from him where he claimed he didn't think he'd need to put much weight on to play in the NBA.

I think he might change his mind once he starts getting banged around in the NBA.  

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Tonight is the NBA Draft. I can't wait to see how the Knicks will mess up on the Draft this time like they almost always do in the past (example: Being 1 pick short of getting Steph Curry in 2009 when they really wanted him). I also can't wait to see if the Magic are dumb enough to take Chet Holmgren as the first pick because that guy has NBA Bust vibes written all over him. 

The Cavaliers have 3 picks tonight (14,39,58), so hopefully they'll find somebody worth a damn to help the team next season. Also, those Warriors have a pick or two in the Draft (don't know where they pick), so I will probably dislike whoever they pick. 

I definitely wonder if/how the Lakers will try to give Russell Westbrook away by any means necessary for a possible Draft Pick (they have none) & also try to get Kyrie Irving out of Brooklyn. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Magog said:

Also, those Warriors have a pick or two in the Draft (don't know where they pick), so I will probably dislike whoever they pick. 

We pick 28th...but apparently may be trading that away...the draft is really unimportant for the Warriors this year as we already have so many young guys to try and keep (and pay!).

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, isalicat said:

We pick 28th...but apparently may be trading that away...the draft is really unimportant for the Warriors this year as we already have so many young guys to try and keep (and pay!).

Bob Myers has stated that he wants to keep everyone. A healthy James Wiseman would be a huge help down low. Looney and Two Way Wiggs can't do it all.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

IMO, whatever happens in the Draft as it relates to the Warriors is no big deal at the very worst.  Golden State = Niners + Pats * Colts.

To be more specific, they have a mix of the 49ers from Montana to Young.  Also, while they didn't plan to suck for a year, they picked a very good time to be in position to draft first overall.  The Colts won (its division basically every year except the year when Manning was out and Luck was coming up).  In addition, the Warriors culture is top notch just like New England (IOW Winning tops everything)

(edited)

What the hell is it with this Kyrie Irving story? He listed the Sixers as one of the teams he wanted to be traded to?

Does he expect them to trade Harden back to the Nets? Embiid? I really don't understand what he wants from this particular request.

ETA, I also dislike how he blew up NBA coverage of the draft.

Edited by xaxat
  • Like 5
(edited)

Well, the Knicks avoided making the wrong pick... by not picking anyone.

If they trade for Kyrie, they'll deserve all the chaos and locker room unrest they get. And if they overpay Brunson, they'll just regret that and try to offload his contract two years from now.

I liked seeing Jaden Ivey being so thrilled to go to Detroit, where his father is from and where his grandmother still lives.

Still think Holmgren is going to be a bust. Everyone is determined to paint him as the next KD or Porzingis because he's really tall and skinny, with good skills, but he doesn't have the frame to get stronger, like those guys. I just don't see how he survives in the NBA against guys like Embiid, Jokic and Robert Williams.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

I wish him the best but I feel like Chet will be a bust too. He looks like he could snap at any moment. Unless he bulks up a bit I can’t see how he will last in the NBA. 

• Love 3

Until he doesn't, I'll give him a chance to grow the best way.  It's not great if you weight about or slightly less than someone a foot and a half shorter than you.  Like in the NFL, the move is toward offense, but there's still defense & physicality

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I didn't know that NBA Free Agency begins tomorrow at 6pm. Thankfully, we won't have to worry about Kyrie Irving possibly going to the Lakers for now because he opted in his contract (worth $36 Million) to stay in Brooklyn for next season. I'm still waiting to see who the Lakers will try to sucker Russell Westbrook & his $47 Million to some sucky team that should know better. Also, I'm wondering who Magic Johnson is trying to help recruit a Free Agent to the Lakers.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1
On 6/28/2022 at 4:10 AM, Magog said:

I'm still waiting to see who the Lakers will try to sucker Russell Westbrook & his $47 Million to some sucky team that should know better. Also, I'm wondering who Magic Johnson is trying to help recruit a Free Agent to the Lakers.

Seems like Russell Westbrick is going to stay put...ha ha ha ha. Poor LeBron. And Harden is staying with the Sixers...Kyrie is staying put...a lot of stasis out there.

Looks like the Spurs have embraced the rebuild - I guess they decided with Murray they're no better than a borderline playoff team, which is one of the worst places to be.  They now have a whole lot of picks.  I'm a little surprised Pop is sticking around for all of that, but maybe he likes working with youngsters and has decided that championship or bust isn't really for him anymore.

• Love 1
(edited)

Durant has requested a trade

What an absolute clusterfuck. In little over a year, the Nets might go from having Durant, Harden and Irving to having none of them. I really hope someone writes a book about all of this.

ETA Now there is speculation that Kyrie might also be on the way out. Which would leave rebuilding around. . . Ben Simmons?

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 8

Let's see, the Nets have KD (requested a trade), Kyrie (clearly wants out) and Ben Simmons (doesn't seem to like playing basketball).  Maybe there's something in the NYC water.

Oh, and Steve Nash, you could have a cushy announcing job but you chose coaching instead.  Bet you're regretting that choice now.

• Love 4

If Irving and kd are traded to the Lakers, just f**** them forever. Christ every major player they just end up with until they win more titles.  

At least in the 1980s they built the team mostly via drafting except kareem.  Now it's just  we will just get every major free agent and keep trying some combination until we win. 

10 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

If Irving and kd are traded to the Lakers, just f**** them forever. Christ every major player they just end up with until they win more titles.  

At least in the 1980s they built the team mostly via drafting except kareem.  Now it's just  we will just get every major free agent and keep trying some combination until we win. 

Because obviously KD+Kyrie is an unstoppable combo as evidenced by their track record of success in Brooklyn?  Or maybe all they needed is AD, who has been a picture of health and durability?  And thrown in Lebron, who definitely isn't on the cusp of feeling the full weight of all those minutes?

If Kyrie goes to the Lakers then everyone who isn't a fan of them should celebrate.  The man is a chemistry killer and basketball never seems to be the most important thing to him.

• Like 3

Bet the Nets fans crowing about their superteam feel pretty fucking dumb right now. If KD ends up in Phoenix or Miami, it just proves that the guy does not want to do things the hard way. He left Golden State to prove he could do it on his own, supposedly. I guess that was too tough.

As for the Timberwolves giving up the house for Gobert... why? Seems like adding him but losing everything they're giving up really doesn't make them better. The Jazz are obviously blowing it all up, and I expect to see Mitchell moved next (they already cut two of his best friends on the team and didn't hire the coach he wanted).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

The Pels inked Zion with a monster extension. Is he worth it? Healthy, sure. But he hasn't been healthy in two years. 

He's a generational talent and still just 21 years old. Sure, it's a risk, but who else are the Pels gonna get? The goal is to win a title.

The idea of Kyrie's particular brand of poison being injected into the Lakers amuses me greatly. It was funny seeing the Nets fall apart under the weight of multiple narcissistic egos, it will be even more fun seeing that happen to the Lakers.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

The idea of Kyrie's particular brand of poison being injected into the Lakers amuses me greatly. It was funny seeing the Nets fall apart under the weight of multiple narcissistic egos, it will be even more fun seeing that happen to the Lakers.

I'm forever indebted to Kyrie Irving & seeing that happening to the Lakers will put a huge smile on my face. Of course, LeBron will give it his all to make sure that doesn't happen. If LeBron isn't on the Lakers next season & Kyrie is there, then all bets are off. Besides, can you really see Street Clothes (AD), Rob Pelinka, Jeannie Buss, & Magic Johnson making Kyrie focus on basketball & only basketball?

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Isn't the entire reason Kyrie left Cleveland because he thought he could or wanted to be The Guy and didn't want to share with LeBron? Now he's determined to go to the Lakers and be second to LeBron again whenever he decides to show up and play?

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Isn't the entire reason Kyrie left Cleveland because he thought he could or wanted to be The Guy and didn't want to share with LeBron? Now he's determined to go to the Lakers and be second to LeBron again whenever he decides to show up and play?

He is so immature. It would be the best thing for the NBA if guys like him would not get contracts. Ability is one thing, selfishness is another. Play and win for the team should mean something.

• Like 2