Type keyword(s) to search

Fix The Show thread

Reboot it all, or just tweak the current "rules".  Totally recast, add or subtract trainers.  Special editions with unique themes, or "back to basics"?  

Talk about what you'd do here.  What NEEDS to be done, if you feel passionately, or simply what might be neat to see, if you don't feel the show has lost its way (assuming it ever had it, I mean).

Great question, Kromm. I think this is particularly important after last season, when we finally had a winner go too far with the weight loss.

If there's going to be a grand finale - and I suspect the producers and NBC want that - there has to be something measurable at that particular time. If not percentage of weight loss, then what? Is there a gauge of general fitness that can be used in addition to or instead of percentage of weight loss?

The simplest change would be something like "greatest percentage of weight loss without going below a given BMI." BMI isn't hard to calculate; the contestants could do it at home as they weigh themselves each day. If there's a tie, TPTB can determine in advance if the prize is to be shared, if there's a tie-breaker, or what.

Another option would be to have that plus another gender-neutral measurement or two - percentage of fat, ability to perform athletically against a baseline test given on the first day at the ranch, nutrition quiz, something.

Logistically, I think there must be a grand finale in order to have suspense build through a given number of shows, with ratings highest during a grand finale that occurs during sweeps. TPTB and NBC are in the business of pulling in advertising revenue, which is done through ratings. So a "who reaches X first" gauge will not work if it can be reached in too few episodes.

I get tired of Jillian and Bob, but it took the show a long time to find a "keeper" new trainer in Dolvett, so I'd rather keep Jillian and Bob than bring in another dud like Kim. 

It will never happen, but I would watch this show even if you took 100% of the competition aspect out.  I like seeing the journeys and transformations.  I imagine there are many people that would jump at the chance to go on the ranch to change their lives, with or without a prize.

Maybe each person that achieves a pre-determined and measurable goal is awarded a cash prize.  The goals could even be individualized to each person - maybe one person wants to lose 60 pounds, one person wants to run a 5k in a certain amount of time, one person wants to fit into a pair of jeans from 10 years ago, etc.

The show could then show us how these people train to achieve their goals via diet and exercise.  It could be in depth and educational TV.  For a show about "changing lives" and "challenging America" I've always thought it was pretty light on instructional material.  We very rarely even hear anything about the nutritional aspect other than the paid product placements.

I'm very active in fitness though, so I would watch this.  I'm not sure if it could ever get the same ratings as the current setup, however.

• Love 2

We would watch that. In fact we do sometimes, and it is called "Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition" or something similar. They spend an entire year with one person on individualized goals. If Biggest Loser could go to that format, it would be great.

Get rid of Bob and Jillian.  Keep the one hour format and the red line.  No more reminders every week of why the contestants are there.  No more phony scripted counseling moments with the trainers.  Do not pick contestants with the worst sob stories. Show proper exercising techniques. 

We would watch that. In fact we do sometimes, and it is called "Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition" or something similar. They spend an entire year with one person on individualized goals. If Biggest Loser could go to that format, it would be great.

Don't laud that show that much either--if you check up on it it's got some nasty skeletons in it's closet too.

• Love 1

Don't laud that show that much either--if you check up on it it's got some nasty skeletons in it's closet too.

I totally believe that. Shows that involve people's health are going to be inherently risky. Can y'all think of any that are well received for being careful about health and mental issues?

I'd prefer they remove the weekly eliminations. If they want to keep a week to week competitive element they could hand out rewards instead of eliminating someone every week. The fun part if the show is seeing the transformations, not the elimination drama.

• Love 1

I'd prefer they remove the weekly eliminations. If they want to keep a week to week competitive element they could hand out rewards instead of eliminating someone every week. The fun part if the show is seeing the transformations, not the elimination drama.

Another way to do this might be to keep the eliminations (with a red line) but without the ejection from the show.  Keep everybody in the house the whole time and simply reduce the pool of who's eligible for the end prize.  Keep some relevance with the people who are "out" by allowing one back in every 3-4 shows, and also with them (all of the weight loss hamsters, in fact) also competing for outside prizes--like "food for a year", "free gym membership for your whole family for two years after the finale", "free personal trainer for a year (that's not the same as basic gym membership), a free home gym, etc.

Also, of course, change the standard of what gets evaluated.  We've talked about BMI, but there also could be fitness tests, as well as waist measurements.  The trick is to balance the three things (as well as fairly tailor the fitness tests to things that are fair between genders and body types).

• Love 3

Kromm, I have to say that that is brilliant. If TPTB did even a fraction of what you suggest, they'd be way ahead.

And now Jillian is saying for the 34,926th time that she wants off the show.

Get rid of Bob and Jillian.  Keep the one hour format and the red line.  No more reminders every week of why the contestants are there.  No more phony scripted counseling moments with the trainers.  Do not pick contestants with the worst sob stories. Show proper exercising techniques. 

I wholeheartedly agree the reminders and counseling should be cut, and spend more time on proper exercising (as well as nutrition).  This show comes off as about 40 minutes of padding and 3 minutes of actual content.  Even the weigh-ins are ridiculously drawn out.  Cut the padding make the show more educational and less Survivor.

• Love 1

I don't understand how they promote health but advise the contestants to eat unhealthy food. Processed meats, even turkey, is loaded with chemicals and salt. Studies show that artificial sweetners cause disruption with insulin... etc. I know it is product placement that drives that so I lost faith in the show a couple years back. 

Bob and Jillian really need to stop climbing on the participants' backs. I cringe every time They do that. It seems so humiliating. 

And those off to the side comments are so unnecessary. "We walked into the room and there was Bob." Seriously ...

• Love 1

I enjoyed that show but still would like some changes to it. I think the first month of no work and intense work outs is too much and I don't think they do enough when the dude is not living with the person.

Here is my ideal show. They create groups of 4-5 people who work with one trainer, nutritionist and counselor. Those people have different amount of weight to lose 200, 100, 50, 25, 10 and all live in the same area. They go to work and live their regular lives but work out together, support each other, have different weekly goals to achieve individualls and as a team. The focus would be how to lose weight in a healthy way that occurs over a period of time. The different teams are competing for weekly prizes, a years groceries, six months of groceries, and nothing for one week. The teams are judged based on what percentage of indivudal and team goals are met. Make some of those goals food based, everyone eats two servings of fruit and three servings of veg a day. Make some of them exercise based, everyone works out an hour a day 6 days a week. Some of the individual ones could be things like lose two pounds a week (for the heavier folk) or improve your time on this obstacle course.

The idea is that there are a variety of people with different goals learning how to achieve those goals together while living their regular lives.

• Love 1

For me, this is an example of "be careful what you wish for."
I was one of those who decried the nastiness of some of the contestants, and all backbiting that went on.
Then, last season, they did away with 90% of this, and the show became boring as hell.

I used to be eager to snark about the show after it was over, eager to see what others had to say, but last year, just ho hum.

Maybe the show has just run its course, or maybe a combination of the two, but I don't think I'll miss it if it doesn't come back.

In the Jillian thread, @OnceSane said:

I'll miss Jillian, just as I did when she left before.  I wonder if they'll bring in a new trainer or just have Bob & Dolvett.

Here are my thoughts: 

• Bob and Dolvett fit the show well, even if not everyone likes them. But will they stay around forever? No one can count on that.
  • They've tried several new trainers in the past, and they've bombed. Dolvett was the first one who didn't. There was a Kim, there was a woman who came in at the same time as Dolvett, and I think there was another woman who also didn't work out. Did I miss anyone?
  • So if Bob and/or Dolvett were to leave, experience shows that it would be pretty hard to bring in a replacement that the audience would relate to.
  • Therefore, I think TPTB should make their first priority keeping Bob and Dolvett happy enough to stay. Whatever it takes, they should do.
  • Then I think they should bring in potential future trainers to see how the audience reacts. (Notice I never mention the contestants. They're not the ones the advertisers care about, so they're not a big factor here.)
  • What I would do would be to pair a new trainer with each of the experienced trainers, so you'd have the Bob and Bob Jr. team vs the Dolvett and Dolvett 2.0 team. We'd get to know the newbies as they worked under the established trainers.
  • Where that goes after the season in which they try this remains to be seen. But they'd have a relatively easy way to gauge how new trainers appealed to the viewers if they did it my way.
  • There are other ways to do this, of course, but I think it makes sense to have one or more replacements ready.
  • Love 1

They did try two potential trainers in the season before Jillian left for the second time, and it was a disaster. To me, it seems Bob and Jillian did not care for Dolvett too much. I did like Anna because she was not there for her ego, and she told the contestants she was not there to hold their hands, and she did not want them to become co-dependent on her *cough Jillian and Bob cough* Get rid of Bob, keep Dolvett, and get a decent female trainer.

• Bob and Dolvett fit the show well, even if not everyone likes them. But will they stay around forever? No one can count on that.

It always felt like Bob (unless recent events have changed his mind) wanted to stay until either the show dies, or himself.  Bob's been a big part of the problem for a long time (although to be fair, the ultimate villain is J.D. Roth).

Who is J D Roth?

But anyways, I no longer watch it because the product placement is annoying and most of them unhealthy; the health of the contestants is not at the forefront; and the whole show is just agonizingly annoying.

• Love 1

Who is J D Roth?

He's the Producer.  Also the announcer we've heard narrate every episode as well.  Also the producer of the similar show "Extreme Weight Loss" on ABC. Anything and everything unethical or fishy that's stemmed from this show, came through his "desk".

BTW:  If you are trying to clean up the show and make it less "Reality Show Manipulative"?  Here's what you don't do.  Hire a new trainer based on him being a "legacy", a relative, of an existing famewhore.

ARTICLE:  "Bachelor Jake Pavelka’s Cousin Jessie Joins Biggest Loser Season 16"

To be fair, Pavelka #2 DOES appear to have a resume which already included TV (in the UK).  I suppose that says that the whole family has been celeb/fame oriented for quite some time.

Oh, and speaking of Reality begetting Reality, it might interest people to know that the other new hire, Jennifer Wilderstrom used to have another name.  Phoenix,  And no, she wasn't some misplaced member of The X-Men (although in that guise she looked a little like one).  She was an American Gladiator.  

If I were NBC I'd be playing close attention to the huge response from mass media and the public they're getting over American Ninja Warrior's Kacy Catanzaro.  If Plan Phoenix/Bachelor Cousin doesn't work out, a current American Ninja Warrior might trump a former American Gladiator.

ARTICLE:  "Bachelor Jake Pavelka’s Cousin Jessie Joins Biggest Loser Season 16"

LOL, before I clicked on the article it sounded like Jake Pavelka had a super fat cousin who was going to be a contestant.  THAT would have been awesome.  Well at least Jessie is nice eye candy.

I saw Jessie on a show called DietTribe, I believe on Lifetime, about a group of 4-5 women trying to lose weight. As I recall, he was pretty good on that show.

As to fixing the show, I would like to see the contestants do fun things as exercise - biking, rollerblading, swimming, basketball, dancing, rowing, tennis, etc. , but things the contestants chose, not have assigned to them. Maybe have them try a bunch of different things, then find a couple they enjoy, and can see themselves doing for a lifetime, and see how they improve over the course of time. Maybe find some things they think they are too big to do. Perhaps someone is afraid a "regular" bike or kayak wouldn't hold them. Maybe they have a kid that loves to do those rock climbing walls or roller coasters, but parent exceeds the weight limit. Find them something that will work and let's watch them go to town.

(As an aside, I read an article recently about how some stables are adding larger horses like Percherons because they were getting too many potential customers who were too big for the traditional stable horses.)

I get that working out is grueling, but I would like too see some of the fun along the way. Mostly I want to get them out of the gym.

Enough with the "last chance workout". It looks the same every week.

• Love 2

I like that idea, @Mittengirl - and it could be a good first episode. Let them into the gym and have them pick something they've always wanted to do, something they'd jump at if they were thinner. They could build that into rewards, or one day a week, or a couple of hours per day, or something. Maybe that's how they'd construct the teams for a while: Team Cyclist, Team Equestrian, etc., and mix up the coaches now and then so that there's not this weird co-dependency thing developing.

That has so many possible directions, I'm surprised this hasn't been done. Then again, reality TV show producers get stuck in these horrible ruts, so I shouldn't be surprised at all.

100% less crying and screaming.  An actual food plan and workout schedule shared with the audience.  Less twists and manipulations.  No mactors. Absolutely no Dr. H and his claims of curing diabetes or just generally being a creepy, loud, skeleton.

In the intro scenes, stop showing car binges.  Do show how difficult it can be for people to get into or out of cars.  Show some awkward social events where the contestants is dressed like shit because they lack options in their size.  Show the dirty looks at the airport or the subway.  Give a realistic view of how being fat made their life harder while realizing I do not care if their life was emotionally hard.

No rude sound effects.  No mega scale.  No scale speeches. Get weighed, get down, loser goes home.  I do not care about the contestants opinions of each other.  We all live with rude people except for those of us that live alone.  Get over it.

I do like the outdoor and pool challenges.  I do like when they show different fitness routines. I do like hearing the contestants views on dieting and fitness and how their outlook is changing.

Have 1 trainer.  Dolvett.  I hate the message that the way you are told what to do matters is your success and the 2 trainers system oozes that yuck.

• Love 1

Too late on that last.  They didn't just hire 1 new trainer, they hired 2 new ones.  So they're back to four (assuming Bob is really back again).

The NBC site is weird now.  Jill is still mentioned in some of the text, but is now absent from the Cast Bios.  Bob is IN the cast bios, but unlike Dolvett doesn't have the word "Trainer" under his photo.  The new trainers are mentioned on the front page, but not in the Cast Bios yet (but have a dedicated area here--the caption which DOES mention Bob is back again).

Dr. Death just needs to go.  I'm sure there's someone qualified, yet less creepy they can get to do that job.

• Love 2

Dr. Death just needs to go.  I'm sure there's someone qualified, yet less creepy they can get to do that job.

What?  And missing seeing it when that vein finally pops?

As I see it, we've put in all these years waiting, so we're entitled to be there when it happens.

• Love 1

I like that they brought back the longer format, it gives the audience a chance to get to know the people better

The elimination table needs to just be gone, gone gone.

I don't want to see tasks that are beyond the safe range for what people in their obese shape should even be trying. (Like a couple of seasons ago making first day contestants run a mile. That worked well. Contestant hospitalized for weeks.)

Don't ever, ever, ever let the audience get to vote on contestants again. 

STOP TAKING THE GYM AWAY. Find another way to add a disadvantage. The one or two pound disadvantage always workd well.

Not sure how they can fix some of the trainer-as-psychologist segments. The blame doesn't lie with any of the trainers, there hasn't been much difference in how any of the trainers, Bob, Jillian, Dolvett or the new guys have approached the psychological aspect of things.  Yes, it is important and it is part of what needs to be addressed when working with someone that has severe body issues.  I do think the "showdowns" between contestant and trainer have an element of "the producers goaded us into this" which gives it the phoniness. So maybe make the audience aware of the issues, have the trainers mention the conversations after the fact and drop the interrogation scenes altogether? Who knows. 

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 2

STOP TAKING THE GYM AWAY. Find another way to add a disadvantage. The one or two pound disadvantage always workd well.

That and room full of gooies challenges are mean-spirited.  Don't make it worse.

I thought I'd read that the contestants get a psychological as well as a physical screening before they're accepted on the show.

And it's none of my business what their problems are, unless they choose to share them.

• Love 1

In the last episode we saw a few key pieces of bullshit, which show that the evil little troll J.D. Roth hasn't changed a bit, and neither has his show.  Replace all the cast you want, it's STILL Roth running this, and that means it will have sewage morals.

1.) We still have Dr. Death, and his schtick is ramped up even more.  I'll be honest and say that they did make one threadbare attempt to put a positive spin in those sessions by showing them a "you worked out" after picture (something they've never done before), but the moment they had an opportunity we saw their real priorities with that wheelchair stunt.  What did they expect to happen?  The guy in question was too big to even fit in the wheelchair, so either they were pushing anger (what happened), or more likely they were expecting a crying breakdown.

2.) The horrible transparent manipulation of the young girl, Blake.  Reality TV savvy people will spot that Blake was trying to get around the restrictions on talking about production instructions by hinting to Dolvett that she simply didn't want to talk on camera about her psychological issues.  The show did it's level best (with a huge assist from Dolvett unfortunately--but he was clearly under instructions) to play that as her simply being obstinate and unwilling to deal with her problems.  Everything that followed reeked of manipulating her into spilling on camera in front of both that group, and America, rather than what she probably would have easily accepted (off-camera counseling with a qualified mental health professional).

I'm not sure the show is fixable at all with instincts like this at it's core.  The only real fix is for the ultimate owners of Biggest Loser (is it NBC or someone else?) to ditch Roth and his current partners (one name that seems to come up a lot is 25/7 Productions, who's head is Dave Broom) and do an actual reboot with another set of producers. 

• Love 1

2.) The horrible transparent manipulation of the young girl, Blake.  Reality TV savvy people will spot that Blake was trying to get around the restrictions on talking about production instructions by hinting to Dolvett that she simply didn't want to talk on camera about her psychological issues.

Unless I missed, and and went back and ff'd through it again, the one hour version skipped the Blake/Dolvett scene entirely.

The challenge was trimmed some, and I think one of the women saw Dr H, and that was cut, but I didn't see anything vital that I'd have missed if I didn't see the two hour show.

Edited by auntjess

Get rid of Bob. I was so glad when I thought he wasn't going to be on this season. You just know his comeback contestant is going to do awesome and the cult of Bob shall continue. 

Throw the red line in there a few times a season (unannounced) to keep things fresh and keep alliances from manipulating.

Don't have the trainers pretend to be psychologists. They aren't. They're trainers. Stick to exercise and nutrition.  If they need counselors, get actual counselors.

Get rid of Bob. I was so glad when I thought he wasn't going to be on this season. You just know his comeback contestant is going to do awesome and the cult of Bob shall continue. 

Throw the red line in there a few times a season (unannounced) to keep things fresh and keep alliances from manipulating.

Don't have the trainers pretend to be psychologists. They aren't. They're trainers. Stick to exercise and nutrition.  If they need counselors, get actual counselors.

That was the one thing I really liked about Jessie's former show on Lifetime.  He did the training and nutrition, and they had a psychologist for the emotional part.  Unfortunately America didn't like seeing real world weight loss and the show was cancelled.

I do like come back canyon, but would like it a lot more if Bob "I'M saving your life" Harper wasn't running it.  I'd really love it if all the kicked off contestants got to stay for the rest of the show and the one with the biggest percentage got back into the finale.

• Love 2

I do like come back canyon, but would like it a lot more if Bob "I'M saving your life" Harper wasn't running it.  I'd really love it if all the kicked off contestants got to stay for the rest of the show and the one with the biggest percentage got back into the finale.

The Cult of Bob is alive and well, I guess. As much as this limits his time on the show (a good thing) it also presents us with a whole string of people so over the moon to see Bob, and gush about him in Talking Heads, like he's Exercise Jesus. So... the usual Bob thing in a way.

With all of being unable to remember a lot of the names yet, print their names in BIG LETTERS on the front and back of their shirts, and not on the top of the back, but blazoned across the middle of both sides.

Wouldn't that be an expense/logistics issue on a show where the contestants are changing shirt sizes so much through the season? This shouldn't be a problem if the producers were diligent about putting people's names on screen where appropriate and having trainers call contestants by name when yelling at them or in one-on-one scenes.

Why do they give the message if a person loses weight and goes off his or her diabetes medications everything will be peachy. Diabetes can be cause by extra weight, but it is not the only thing behind a person becoming diabetic. Family history, certain medications, a virus, thyroid problems, and even sinus infections can cause a person's blood sugar levels to rise to a dangerous level. Of course, Dr. HQuack wants the world to think he can cure obese people of any medical conditions.

One thing that bugs me every time they go on the scale is the idea that "in order to stay safe everyone on the team needs to lose 7 pounds" because while technically true that's not real.  A 220 pound woman should lose fewer overall pounds than a 380 pound man if they lose the same percentage of weight.  By focusing just on the number of pounds they send the wrong message.

• Love 1

1.  From now on, no one would be allowed to refer to their experience as a "journey".  Unless the person in question is actually a hobbit.

2.  From now on, no one would be allowed to speculate on who "deserves" to be there.  Each contestant applied and was accepted.  The end.

3.  From now on, no one would be allowed to refer to their weight loss as "pulling" or "putting up" a "big number".  You may lose weight, drop pounds, reduce, succeed, get healthier or reach your goal.

• Love 3
(edited)

One thing that bugs me every time they go on the scale is the idea that "in order to stay safe everyone on the team needs to lose 7 pounds" because while technically true that's not real.  A 220 pound woman should lose fewer overall pounds than a 380 pound man if they lose the same percentage of weight.  By focusing just on the number of pounds they send the wrong message.

Huh?   But they're only talking about an AVERAGE.  They don't literally mean every person is expected to lose 7 pounds. Lets say for the sake of simplicity that it's a 3 person team. 380, 250 and 220 (850 pounds in total). If they had to lose 7 pounds apiece (21 pounds in total), then the expectation might be for the 220 pounder to lose 5 pounds (2.27%), the 250 pounder to lose 6 pounds (2.4%) and the 380 pounder to lose 10 pounds (2.63%).  

Of course it's fairly stupid the show doesn't calculate to the half pound, so lets throw that suggestion in the box. CALCULATE TO THE HALF POUND!  It's fairer.

Edited by Kromm

But that's not how it usually plays out.  Big guy gets on the scale, loses the so-called "average", people politely applaud.  Smaller woman gets on the scale, loses less weight (but a higher percentage) lots of talk about her not making the number she needed.

Yes, I understand that a 380 pound person should lose more than a 220 pound person, but that's not the way it typically plays out. Instead, the 380 pound person loses 9 pounds and is told "good number, you got us off to a great start."  The 250 and the 220 pounders pull the numbers you post and they're blamed for "losing" the weigh-in.  There's never any talk of "you lost 6 pounds which is 2.5% of your weight, higher than what the team needed from you."

And half pounds?  How about allowing for .1 pound increments?  If they're going to calculate percentage to 2 decimal places they should have a lot more accuracy in weight.

• Love 3

And half pounds?  How about allowing for .1 pound increments?  If they're going to calculate percentage to 2 decimal places they should have a lot more accuracy in weight.

ITA. The cheap digital scale I have is reliable to .2 pound increments. I would hope they're using something better than that, so there's no excuse for whole pounds. The producers must have been asleep in class when they talked about "significant digits" in grade school.

• Love 1

In my opinion, part of the rediculousness of this show is that the contestants remove their shoes before they get on the scale but are still wearing a ton of jewelry.  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?  When I weigh myself I take off everything.  The only reason I'm still wearing my glasses is so I can read what the scale says otherwise I'd take those off too!

In my opinion, part of the rediculousness of this show is that the contestants remove their shoes before they get on the scale but are still wearing a ton of jewelry.  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?  When I weigh myself I take off everything.  The only reason I'm still wearing my glasses is so I can read what the scale says otherwise I'd take those off too!

It is moot point since what is seen on TV isn't even a working scale, but you would think for the sake of making things believable they would at least go through the motions to make it look like a realistic weigh-in. That's what bugs me about the guys taking their shirts off at the weigh-in -- it's all for show and doesn't even affect the outcome. The actual weigh-in is done beforehand and they probably remove as much as they can.

• Love 3

ITA. The cheap digital scale I have is reliable to .2 pound increments. I would hope they're using something better than that, so there's no excuse for whole pounds. The producers must have been asleep in class when they talked about "significant digits" in grade school.

It can also affect the outcome (who gets sent home) if weight loss percentage numbers are very close. 

• Love 1

Okay, if they insist on keeping Comeback Craphole next season, how can they re-configure it to make it less ridiculous?

It's probably not only expensive, but impractical to keep every booted contestant around on an alterna-Ranch, so...

1.) Do it mostly "at home"--dump the Craphole but use Bob, who's this is seemingly an excuse to involve--via video chats to each of their locations, as well as a pep talk to them before they fly home.  Based upon their at home results, fly the top 5 at home losers to Craphole and then put them through a 2 week competition for the returnee.

--OR--

2.) Do it mostly like this year, but keep three people at the Craphole each time but only ditch one person via a red-line.  Thus allowing more leeway for a "bad week" due to.... winning the previous week.

--OR--

3.) Do it mostly like this year (even down to it being two people at a time), but keep a running tally of their weight loss since leaving the ranch.  Ergo, the person who's been there two weeks has to calculate their percentage based on 2 weeks total loss made into a percentage, while the person there one week does so based on one week's loss made into a percentage. This continues to reward the person who made a big loss their first week at the Craphole, but also doesn't make them unbeatable..

• Love 1

3.) Do it mostly like this year (even down to it being two people at a time), but keep a running tally of their weight loss since leaving the ranch.

That might favor the person already at CC too much, considering they just won against someone else, especially if they've hung on a while. Either using their per-week average loss instead of their total, or including some of the newcomer's at-ranch loss would balance that out.

While I agree with the general premise of the show - lose weight, get active, be healthy - they need to make it a realistic show.  Yeah, it's amazing to see someone lose big numbers every week, normal healthy weight loss is about 2 pounds a week.  Much less exciting.  How many have gained their weight back?  How few have kept it off?

The other is that no one needs to excercise to the point of vomiting.  Yeah, they need exercise.  No arguments there.  But the levels in which these people exercise are unsustainable.  A work acquaintance was on the show serveral years ago.  He readily admitted that once he left, he knew there was no way on earth he'd be able to keep up that pace and still actually manage to do things like hold a job.  He still remained active, which was something he wasn't before going on the show, but not excercising hours and hours a day.

While much less compelling, I'd like to see the show actually teach the people healthy habits to lose weight and still be active participants in their day to day lives.

• Love 3