Type keyword(s) to search

Horse Racing: The Sport of Kings

xaxat
  • Start Topic

I'm planning on it tomorrow, if possible, to get the New York Times (the National Edition, of course) at the Barnes and Noble in Greenville; I'm sure it'll have this latest TC as the banner headline. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

American Pharoah did the same. It’s a smart move. No one can box you in and you can set the pace.

That’s where the importance of a seasoned skillful jockey comes into to play. If he let the horse go too fast he might not have had the juice to finish that final stretch first. So great job by him riding this winner. 

• Love 2

The jockey, Mike E. Smith is the oldest jockey to have run this race. His age is 52. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2003 but felt at the time that he still had more wins in him. Boy did he. He did a great job riding Justify to the Triple Crown. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Linderhill said:

I'm also tired of Bob Baffert being shoved in my face every 5 minutes.  I'd rather hear about the horses running (the others besides Justify) than a what seems like a non-stop Bob Baffert commentary.  Its almost enough for me to root for any horse besides Justify.  

While I was happy for Justify to win the Triple Crown, I, too, was annoyed by all the focus on Baffert.

• Love 4

Baffert is a semi-handsome, older white guy with a shock of perfectly coiffed white hair, and an attractive, photogenic family.  Of course they're going to focus on him, especially since he's the only trainer who has trained a horse to win the Triple Crown TWICE.

I think Mike Smith is awesome, and I loved hearing his backstory.  52 years old!  What an inspiration.  I hope he rides off into the sunset (literally or figuratively) and gets his GED, at least, to make his mom happy.  That's assuming he doesn't already have it.

I have to say, I HATE the disjointed coverage after the race ends.  Let us see the whole thing, please, with the horse getting his blanket of flowers, the meetups of owners, trainer, and jockey, and trophy presentation as one thing, without cutting away to commercials every six seconds.  As it is, I don't know who gets what - I assume the owners get to share the bigger trophy (I wonder if they pass it back and forth every six months?) and Baffert and Smith each get a smaller one, but it would be nice to have it explained.

I am glad we got to see the unveiling of the Triple Crown winner plaque.  That was very cool. 

Justify is just a beautiful horse.  A pleasure to see him run and a pleasure just to look at.  

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, SophiaD said:

Baffert is a semi-handsome, older white guy with a shock of perfectly coiffed white hair, and an attractive, photogenic family.  Of course they're going to focus on him, especially since he's the only trainer who has trained a horse to win the Triple Crown TWICE.

No, he’s the second trainer to do so. Sunny Jim Fitzsimmons is the only other trainer with two Triple Crowns, winning with Gallant Fox in 1930 and Omaha in 1935.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

No, he’s the second trainer to do so. Sunny Jim Fitzsimmons is the only other trainer with two Triple Crowns, winning with Gallant Fox in 1930 and Omaha in 1935.

I was just going to say that.  Let’s not forget the history of the sport.

• Love 2

Excuse me - I meant the only one currently available.  

But until another trainer produces a Triple Crown winner, I think it's going to be All About Baffert, All the Time.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, SophiaD said:

But until another trainer produces a Triple Crown winner, I think it's going to be All About Baffert, All the Time.

I hope not. The time and money that goes into the breeding, training and racing of all of these horses is impressive. Anyone ever been to the Horse Racing Hall of Fame in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.? It’s a neat place set in a wonderful town and makes a good weekend destination. It’s about 3 hours above N.Y.C. It’s especially beautiful during leaf peaking season. Before they run their season they should do a show (a week before the Derby would be nice) about all of the 3 year olds, their trainers, jockeys and what’s been done to bring these champions along. If they make it to the Derby they are worthy. So much is focused on all the big money sports (baseball, basketball and ice hockey to a lower extent) and equestrian sports is usually only shown sporadically and usually as a time slot filler. Even in the Olympics. Coverage is puny. 

• Love 3

I was watching the race again but his morning and I realized that as exciting as Justify’s win was, American Pharoah’s gave me more chills.  Only Affirmed’s legendary races against Allydar gave, me the same kind of chillS.

• Love 3

Probably because American Pharoah was the first after the longest drought in Triple Crown history. I know I had accepted that it was unlikely to happen again. 

Triple crown winners tend to come in spurts. This is certainly following that pattern. I wonder who will be next?

• Love 2
(edited)

Got that New York Times today, and all it had was pictures-- no story! Surely that TC would have been a higher priority, I would think. Even the L.A. Times today had a front-pager about the big race yesterday. 

Edited by bmasters9
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

I was watching the race again but his morning and I realized that as exciting as Justify’s win was, American Pharoah’s gave me more chills.  Only Affirmed’s legendary races against Allydar gave, me the same kind of chillS.

I agree, Justify's win didn't give me chills like some of the previous ones, but my all time favorite winner was Secretariat.  What a big, beautiful horse!   

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

Triple crown winners tend to come in spurts.

Things come in threes...time to start looking at the 2 year olds although I know that in Justify’s case he wasn’t run as a second year. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I agree, Justify's win didn't give me chills like some of the previous ones, but my all time favorite winner was Secretariat.  What a big, beautiful horse!   

He really was the epitome of the Triple Crown winner.  He raced his heart out and he was just a gorgeous animal. Truly special. 

• Love 5
On 6/9/2018 at 9:43 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Rob Gronkowski bet $69 on his namesake. Because of course he did.

Supposedly he and his buddies bet that amount because the race was on 6/9...supposedly...

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Supposedly he and his buddies bet that amount because the race was on 6/9...supposedly...

Did he bet to win, place or show though? Ha, if it were a different race (because all of these horses have a chance and are good racers) I would have gone for a Daily Double of 6-9. However usually horses that far out off of the rails win as frequently as the ones nearer. 

I heard the stud fee for Justify. 75 million !!! Wow. 

Those were the overall breeding rights. The stud fee hasn't been set yet, but my guess would begin at $100K per live foal standing. 

2 minutes ago, Pallas said:

Those were the overall breeding rights. The stud fee hasn't been set yet, but my guess would begin at $100K per live foal standing. 

I think that your guess is too low. American Pharoh got $200k per so I’m sure that Justify would bring in a minimum of a quarter of a million. He never lost a race. He has superb stamina. His confirmation is top notch. Inflation and all that. 

I thought that too: then read this article in Forbes, noting that stud fees had dropped in the last few years, and that in his rookie season Pharoah was quickly moved to a $200K two-fer. Justify is undefeated, but only raced six times: perhaps in total. But it's not up to us, and again, I'd also have pegged him at $250K. We'll see!

5 hours ago, Pallas said:

I know nothing about horse breeding,, I just like to watch them race.  : )

So my question, is what's included in overall breeding rights?

I have never seen anything like this year’s Derby.

I’ve seen horses DQ’d, even winners.  But never in a race of this magnitude.

There was obviously encroachment and impeding.  And it could’ve been disastrous for horses & riders alike.  But on a such a sloppy track, I thought they’d like it go with a fine.  However I don’t see Country House winning either of the other two jewels.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

That was a rather...specious way to give some other horse a victory.  I mean, don’t the horses in the back of the pack jostle each other all the time?

He cut him off.  There was clear contact at the legs.  The jockey could’ve caused other horses to fall down, break legs, injure riders.  It’s like a car race.  A crash in the lead causes many other cars to crash into them or the wall, etc.  

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I have never seen anything like this year’s Derby.

I’ve seen horses DQ’d, even winners.  But never in a race of this magnitude.

There was obviously encroachment and impeding.  And it could’ve been disastrous for horses & riders alike.  But on a such a sloppy track, I thought they’d like it go with a fine.  However I don’t see Country House winning either of the other two jewels.

If you would dq the horse in a lesser race then you gotta dq in this race.   Otherwise the Rules mean nothing.

• Love 5

Maximum Security will not be running in the Preakness.    The owner doesn't want to run the horse in 2 weeks if there is no shot at the Crown.

So we COULD have a Triple Crown winner with Country House.

• Love 1

I was just happy that none of Baffert’s horses even placed. With or with out the DQ. 😁. There’s just something about the guy that grates on my nerves and the TV coverage always goes overboard with him. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm bummed that Maximum Security is not running the other two legs of the Triple Crown. I wanted him to win as a big, fat "fuck you" to the racing world. As a cherry on the shit sundae, I'm sure that Baffert will step into the favorite spot in Maryland and New York. Gag me. 

But, giving the win to the second place horse is so 2019 (or 2018, 2017, 2016) thing EVER. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Maximum Security will not be running in the Preakness.    The owner doesn't want to run the horse in 2 weeks if there is no shot at the Crown.

So we COULD have a Triple Crown winner with Country House.

He’s not running The Preakness, but he could still run Belmont.

Maximum Security's camp filed an appeal today, right? Anyone have any idea how long it will take to be adjudicated? It would be real awkward if the day before the Preakness, Maximum Security is re-crowned champion (though I think the appeal will likely be unsuccessful).

17 hours ago, stealinghome said:

Maximum Security's camp filed an appeal today, right? Anyone have any idea how long it will take to be adjudicated? It would be real awkward if the day before the Preakness, Maximum Security is re-crowned champion (though I think the appeal will likely be unsuccessful).

It has already been denied.  The track stewards are almost always supported by the racing board in their decisions.  There would've had to have been some really egregious issue with the decision of the stewards for the decision to be reversed. There are 3 stewards at the track who did the review after the race and they had 5 different camera angles to use.  It only requires 2 out of 3 to agree to reverse an outcome.  In this case, they were unanimous in declaring that Maximum Security interfered with other horses.  In any other race, at any other track, the disqualification is a no-brainer.  The racing board cannot set a double standard and overlook stuff in the big races that would be upheld in the smaller ones.

• Love 9

Aaaand Country House is a scratch from the Preakness.    Illness seems to be the reason.   No Triple Crown this year.

Weird year.   First the favorite in the Derby is a scratch just days before the race.  Then the first on track DQ in Derby history.   Now Country House is a scratch.

Feel bad for the Preakness.   There's already issues with the track and fixing it or moving the race (not to tacky Laurel, please no), now this.   not even the excitement of a possible Triple Crown.   The Belmont is even more screwed.   If there is no Triple Crown no one even remembers the Belmont is being run.

• Love 4

I wonder if the owners of Country House decided they didn't want to get involved in any more controversy.  Actually, I don't blame them.  I just hope the horse is happy and well and not ill.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I wonder if the owners of Country House decided they didn't want to get involved in any more controversy.  Actually, I don't blame them.  I just hope the horse is happy and well and not ill.  

I think it is more likely that Country House' owners realize that winning the Derby was a tremendous piece of luck; their horse was not nearly of the quality as the rest of the field and the odds of winning again against that caliber of competition is extremely small.  Country House' value at stud is now as high as it will ever be.  If he runs the Preakness and Belmont, odds are he is never going to perform the way he did in the Derby and that is going to decrease his value.  Country House is a very good horse who managed to shine in the biggest race of his life against superior competition.  No sense tempting fate.

• Love 4

This is a weird ass year for the Triple Crown.

In the Derby, the winner gets disqualified.  In the Preakness, one rider gets thrown immediately, and the horse continues to finish the race.  He even finished ahead of someone!  (Tho he’s automatically disqualified not having a rider).

I can’t imagine what the Belmont holds in store.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

That horse that bucked the rider said "eff it, I'm runnin' anyway!"  At least he finished the race so good for him (or her).

I'm just glad that nobody was hurt.

• Love 4

It happened again!  The race was being televised by NBC, so maybe more people will be outraged.  Is it going to take a jockey being injured/killed during a race before anyone gives a damn?  Racehorses getting killed should not be seen as the equivalent of race cars being totaled.  They are living, feeling creatures that can not be replaced like a crashed car.

Rest in Peace Mongolian Dream, you deserved so much better.

• Love 1
On 5/9/2021 at 12:48 PM, xaxat said:

Once again a Baffert horse tests positive for PEDs and once again Baffert has no idea how it happened.

It's a conspiracy if course!!!  He didn't do it!!!  

Just like sosa, bonds, clemens, armstrong......

The best part of the story is when giving his press conference he said 'im no conspiracy THERAPIST.....'. Meant to say theorist.  They corrected it in all the news articles but espn kept playing it and laughing at him.

But yes he is totally lying.  Same playbook they all use when caught.  Righteous indignation and talk of so done framing him.  

Its truly amazing all these mild mannered scientists doing these tests are always trying to frame these people. Where do they find so many dishonest chemists and pharmacists that spend all their time purposely trying to hurt the sports that employ them?   

• Love 5

I greatly enjoyed the enthusiasm with which the announcer kept saying "Rrrrrrrommmmbauer!" as he took the lead during the Preakness XD