Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Columbian Conflict

This may have been my favorite episode ever. I was annoyed initially, because they sent in yet another vegetarian girl, but this time it worked out well. I love how close the two of them got and how much they learned from each other.

I initially thought Dani over-reacted early on when she got so frustrated with Charlie for telling her to stay there while he got water. I totally saw where she was coming from, but it seemed like, despite his "men take care of women" attitude, he wasn't trying to be disrespectful. I changed my mind as the show progressed. I think they ended up in a better place because she put a stop to it and insisted on taking care of herself.

I liked Charlie a LOT. I don't think he meant to be misogynstic, and he seemed to be a genuinely good, caring guy. He had a great attitude, and he was a hard worker. Okay, he was a bit foolhardy and stubborn, but he got better over time. Too many people refuse to learn and adapt, but he did, and I think that speaks worlds of him.

That swim at the end was scary, though! The ocean can turn deadly very quickly.

• Love 5

Dani and Charlie reminded me of a N&A version of Beauty and the Beast lol

Good episode in the end. Wish they would've showed more of Dani surviving, that was interesting.

• Love 1

This may have been my favorite episode ever.

Me too!  So much so, that I was actually hoping that they fell in love.  I really enjoyed watching how much they learned from each other, and how willing they were to be open and change.

The other reason I liked it, less complaining.  While we know the bugs, ticks, fleas, etc were as bad if not worse than some other locales, they kept their complaints to a minimum.  Yes, they were blessed by the clean water source but it was over 100 degrees in a jungle environment, they needed it.

• Love 3

I think there needed to be some better editing to show what "fruit and vegetables" kept Dani alive for 21 days.  All we saw was a big leaf and a red nut, yet she never complained of being hungry.  She must have done some serious research of edible plants in the Colombian jungle because I doubt she found an abandoned farm with a garden.  

• Love 3
(edited)

I really liked Charlie, typical New Yorker but not overly obnoxious.  I also thought he wasn't being disrespectful, just protective like you would of a daughter.  There was no reason for both of them to go, and having one of them stay and rest up made sense.  I thought they were a good team.  Dani seemed to really know what she was doing and identifying edible leaves was a plus.  Sleeping along that cayman-infested shore the final night I thought was a mistake.  I don't see why they couldn't have just moved even 25 yards in from the river.  I also liked that there was minimal drama aside from that one tiff, and they were both all about helping the other make it to the end.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 3

This was an enjoyable episode & I liked how these two got along. I'm still surprised vegetarians want to go on this show unless they know in advance they'll be somewhere they can identify & have plenty of non-animal sources to pull from. (Maybe the show plans around this?) I respect Dani's decision to stick by her beliefs but when she said the snails were hugging I laughed & laughed. Initially I thought Charlie would be obnoxious for all the discussion of his stubbornness, but he was a pleasant surprise.

• Love 1

Danni seems like an almost perfect survivalist, who can find food, make fire and shelter, and keep a real positive attitude.  IMO her score should have gone up to high 8s at least. 

Charlie would not have made it there without her.  He did show more flexibility than at first seemed likely.  I think that's because he knew it was do or die.  They ended up real compatible, though, maybe the best team of any we've seen. 

I'd like to see the producers team up one of the best men with one of the best women for a future episode.  Danni would certainly be near the top of the women's list; and a couple men this season really stood out.  

• Love 2

I really liked this episode.  Sometimes when I watch this show, I think it's more of a relationship show than something like, "Married at First Sight."  The teams that make it most of the time, are the teams who work well together, who realize that the only way they're going to make it is if they listen to each other and learn from each other.  

On the first season there was a team, I think they were in the swamps of Louisiana; the man had the skills but he got frustrated easy; the woman didn't have very many skills, but what she did know how to to was to motivate and encourage him.  Now, both of them had SO's in real life, but I thought, "now that's what a real couple might have to do in order to make it in the world."  

• Love 2

On the first season there was a team, I think they were in the swamps of Louisiana; the man had the skills but he got frustrated easy; the woman didn't have very many skills, but what she did know how to to was to motivate and encourage him.  Now, both of them had SO's in real life, but I thought, "now that's what a real couple might have to do in order to make it in the world."  

That episode was unreal.  The environment looked so harsh, I couldn't imagine anyone lasting 21 days there.  Things played out just the way you said.  An ideal coupling of talents and personalities. 

NA will probably never do this, but I think it would be cool to see an episode with not just one couple, but three or four of them.  Maybe all of them all-stars.  Lots of new dynamics would come up, especially over power-sharing/decision-making.  Would they all stick together?  Would some go their separate ways? 

• Love 1

It wasn't just you... I felt a lot of sexual tension between them. Odd that he's married with 2 kids, yet that was never mentioned on the show and he was only shown saying good bye to his parents. I totally thought he was single. 

Thought they were both great... I feel like this episode could have been 2 hours long. After reading the article above, it seems we missed a lot. They both had skills that complimented each other. Had to laugh when Dani sort of said snails are equal to humans... Um, no they're food. All in all, great episode, could easily watch more of them. 

• Love 1

No wife saying goodbye. Check. Became vegetarian for 4months after rescue. Check.

I feel we are missing part of this story. And imo they are both very good looking. [/random]

• Love 1

As previously posted, a wonderful pair.

Dani brought back the accomplished woman of previous episodes, after some disappointments with the "Afftens" who had been cast this season.

When Charlie said 'the jungle is making me it's bitch' I was a little concerned.  He learned a lot, when the man starts defining the roles by gender, it has spelled trouble in previous episodes.

The final montage at the end showed them together in the jungle laughing it up as they ate some fruit, as mentioned before, it would have been good to see Dani working the flora for food.

Best episode in a while.

• Love 1
(edited)

Dani was such a jerk and hypocrite. At the beginning she told Charlie to take a break from chopping bamboo. When he sees she is tired and insists on getting the water, she has a tantrum like a 3 year old child.

Then she makes him feel guilty for eating snails...SNAILS. "Snails have feeling! Snails are equal to humans!" It is fine to have your own nutty beliefs, but making other peope starve for them is the behavior of a sociopath.

People like her almost deserve to be eaten by predators. Does she think a croc or a panther would respect her views about the equality of all living things?

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 1