Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Glorious Horrors

I think Victor is bold because he's taking her to places that Caliban will never enter. These are safe spaces. Plus, he's arrogant.

The only thing that surprised me is that Dorian didn't spill the beans. He has no tact, but he also is a lover is secrets.

• Love 1

I just can't get on the Victor train. After all, he murdered Brona, reanimated her as Lily and is now actively engaged in have sex with a walking, talking corpse.

I don't see it so much as murdering Brona, as it was a Euthanization. Complete with the added bonus of a body for Caliban. Yes, it is murder if you want to split hairs. But, his initial intent was to help Brona for Ethan. She was going to die anyway. Why not end her suffering now. Its not like she was going to get any better.

My point is that he was ending her suffering, sheltering Ethan from having to watch her suffer any further, and disposing of a body for a friend. He was multi tasking. That Victor...He's a problem solver.

I would have rather him obtain a body under those circumstances than if he were to just kill some random person or dig up a body from the cemetery.

Besides, in Victorian times, selling cadavers was nasty business. Most cadaver brokers were either killers or grave robbers. Brona met no violent end, her suffering was ceased and to an extent, so was Ethan's.

Now, as far as having sex with a reanimated corpse- I agree, its fucked up. But hey, haven't we all had sex with someone at least once, with whom one would think was "corpse like" in bed? You know, aside from the warm skin and breathing? Just me? Oh well, que sera sera.

As much as I would love an episode or so devoted to Sembene's backstory, I'd also like to learn more about the Inspector. The fact that he immediately assumed that something supernatural was afoot leads me to believe he's dealt with it before. And he obviously suspects that Ethan is a werewolf, or why else would he specifically bring up wolves? Maybe he can tell it's a werewolf by the way the victims were killed; obviously there are no bears or wolves on the loose in London, so what else could it be?

I'm also wondering what the relevance will be of the arm the inspector lost.  Lost limb, open to the concept of supernatural explanations...what is his backstory?  

(edited)

Angelique looked shopworn, tawdry and hopelessly male standing next to glowing Lily.   Hope you enjoyed your ball, girlfriend, because your coach is about to turn back into a pumpkin.    My guess is, Angelique is living on borrowed time now

Obviously one needs to suspend disbelief in a production like this but it doesn't help when the writers aren't consistent.   In an earlier scene, young men are seen harassing Angelique, even spitting upon her, upon recognizing that she is male.   But at the ball,  all of London society seems either oblivious, fascinated or unconcerned -- even Vanessa assesses Angelique with a silent "Sure, why not?"  The first reaction was the more realistic one, unfortunately.   Even if you take into account the code of etiquette -- which was adhered to more seriously than even the law of the land in those days -- few would have remained at the ball in light of its scandalous nature, let alone jubilantly participate.   They probably would have excused themselves and left.  Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful fantasy and if the reactions to Angelique had been consistent I would not complain.  But for the public to spit on her in one scene and fete her unquestioningly in the next just doesn't fly.

I hope Dorian meets his end soon.   He has become tiresome.   Worse, his fickleness in this episode was cruel, and more in keeping with the ruthless egomaniac of the novel.  

That ballroom though, with all the paintings on the wall (including what looked like a George Catlin Indian portrait) and everyone dancing.   It was like a dream.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1
On 7/11/2016 at 8:41 PM, millennium said:

Angelique looked shopworn, tawdry and hopelessly male standing next to glowing Lily.   Hope you enjoyed your ball, girlfriend, because your coach is about to turn back into a pumpkin.    My guess is, Angelique is living on borrowed time now

Obviously one needs to suspend disbelief in a production like this but it doesn't help when the writers aren't consistent.   In an earlier scene, young men are seen harassing Angelique, even spitting upon her, upon recognizing that she is male.   But at the ball,  all of London society seems either oblivious, fascinated or unconcerned -- even Vanessa assesses Angelique with a silent "Sure, why not?"  The first reaction was the more realistic one, unfortunately.   Even if you take into account the code of etiquette -- which was adhered to more seriously than even the law of the land in those days -- few would have remained at the ball in light of its scandalous nature, let alone jubilantly participate.   They probably would have excused themselves and left.  Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful fantasy and if the reactions to Angelique had been consistent I would not complain.  But for the public to spit on her in one scene and fete her unquestioningly in the next just doesn't fly.

The men who spat on her recognized her. They had seen her naked and they knew she had male genitals. They were former customers. They had no fear of being judged by Dorian or Angelique. I doubt any of them were invited to the ball. In a larger group, they might have kept silent because of guilt by association.

Angelique is just feminine enough that without speaking to her, most people would not be able to put their finger on what's off about her. The society ladies at the ball, unused to seeing men in drag or ladies of the night, wouldn't necessarily even notice. The men there, more worldly, might see right through Angelique, but not want it known how they guessed her secret. It's actually in their interests to pretend not to know anything at all about her.

Vanessa and Lyle would have known at a glance, but they wouldn't want to ruin her evening.

Finally, the witches wouldn't stir the pot because they have far bigger fish to fry than just humiliating Dorian's latest flame--it wasn't in their interests for the ball to fall apart or be over early.

Is it uncharitable of me to think that in Victorian London, a masculine-looking woman wouldn't exactly be some unique, never-before-seen wonder who sparks immediate suspicion? I mean, Angelique is short, slight, has features that, if not delicate, are at least somewhat feminine in their sharpness, and mostly dresses and acts the part. She's not like Charles Barkley lumbering around in drag.

I've known some women with very sharp features, like Angelique had, that were fully female.  So I wouldn't look at Angelique twice, she definitely appeared female to me.  but I can see where one, who is perhaps more attuned to sexual fluidity, might catch on quicker.  Course, with Dorian, he wouldn't have minded what sex Angelique was.