Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Glorious Horrors

Vanessa and Ethan give Sir Malcolm tragic news; Lavinia Putney is disturbed by an encounter with the Creature; Roper hunts down Ethan; Dorian hosts a lavish ball in Angelique's honor; a glorious night turns to horror for Vanessa.
(edited)

Oh FFS.  Looks like they're going old school Wolfman, which I love - maybe too much of Ethan wolfed out would be cheesy but I want more dammit!  Sembene, stay in the chair!

Dorian, you shit, you're going to break Angelique's heart.  You are what you are but I felt so badly for her when he turned his fascination to Lily.

I'm practically panicking for Mr. Lyle every episode.

Will have to rewatch, got interrupted and know I missed stuff.

Edited by raven
  • Love 1

What a gorgeous freakin episode! The costumes were everything. Even the blood rain!

I have a theory that Dorian recognized Brona/Lily but didn't say anything because he's a gentleman and he understands and respects secrets. 

Probably wrong, but I like my theory.

• Love 4

Dorian very obviously recognized Brona, and is simply super intrigued with her transformation from consumptive Irish redheaded whore into proper English blonde Lily Frankenstein. 

Glad to see Vanessa has twigged to Mrs. Poole and to Sir Malcolm being not himself, and she realizes one has very much to do with the other. I also loved that Lyle was risking his neck to get her out of that party. I do anticipate Hecate trying to unseat her dear mother in the eyes of the Master. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh, I enjoyed that!  I miss another Showtime program (The Borgias) and part of why I liked that show was the sumptuous production, costumes, sets, etc.  I feel like Penny Dreadful has done a great job of fulfilling that need.  That ball was just gorgeous!!  Loved Dorian's home all lit up, enjoyed the music and group dances (like the good Austen fan I am!), and loved the costuming of all the characters, especially our main cast.

A major near miss for Brona/Lily and Ethan!  Guess we're lucky it's his...time of the month. Hee.  Are those shackles left over from season 1 vampire boy?

I enjoyed the "morning after" scenes with our boot knockers from the prior episode.  Malcom and Mrs. Poole were so creepy. Dorian and Angelique were so cute and sweet (hey, Dorian chilling in bed, hey).  Lily and Victor were domestic and cozy. 

My crush on Victor continues.  Looks like they toned down the eye makeup on Treadway a bit.  Guess Victor needed to get laid to lose the bloodshot undereyes.

I felt terrible, yet giggled a little, at Ethan's "Thanks, but no thanks...k..bye" to Vanessa.  We all know what was up, but it had to hurt her pride a bit.  In fact, I enjoyed all of Ethan's storylines tonight.  His scenes with the American bounty hunter, the detective Rusk and Sembene were all interesting. 

I just want to smack Sir Malcolm!  Thank goodness Vanessa is finally starting to hone in a bit.  Come to think of it, thank goodness for Vanessa in general.  She's really a good plot mover (telling Victor about Clare, feeling like something was off with Mrs. Poole, etc).

Now the ball!  Brona/Lily and Dorian just upturned the less than a week's worth of happy coupledom.  I adore Victor, but I was side eyeing his jealous, paws on girl behavior at the end.  It rubbed me very wrong.  We know how Dorian is, but damn if he isn't just hurting poor Angelique!  Think man!  I'm actually not sure Dorian exactly recognized Brona.  I think she reminded him of someone and the feelings of intrigue/attraction come in.  For her, she's literally a blank slate and this lovely man with this lovely home (that feels a little familiar) is enchanting her. 

Like many of you, I fear for Sir Lyle.  He's in a difficult situation and I don't see how he doesn't become collateral damage.  I'm glad he tried to help Vanessa.  I'm interested to see how Hecate's power play may foul up Mrs. Poole's larger scheme. 

Edited by TrininisaScorp
  • Love 2

Always frustrating when they make smart characters purposefully dense for dramatic effect. Vanessa is tuned in to emotional nuances like no other, she would never miss Mr. Lyle's desperation in trying to get her home. Though, considering how fast Kali's daughters are, it's not like he could have protected her on the walk/ride back to the warded house. And Vanessa was stalked by the exact same witches when she was hiding out with the Cut-Wife, she should know exactly what her witch "spidey-senses" feel like. 

Dorian knew exactly who Brona was. And probably has screwed his way through enough people to realize what the waxmaker's daughter did, she's not entirely alive. That offers way more interest than poor Angelique could ever provide. 

Bounty Hunter didn't do his research. Abotu 90% of that household could take his scalp without breaking a sweat. Why did Ethan have Sembene sit so close to him? He had to have known he'd freak out with a snarling wolf two inches from his face. Maybe he's trying to train himself to recognize allies when transformed? I love Sembene shackled him up without question even though he was clearly going "wth, man, have you lost it?" No witch training and he even knows Malcom has got some hodoo thrown on him. They seriously need to give Sembene some story time instead of pretending black people didn't exist anywhere other than the kitchens in Victorian London. 

Wait, I thought Kali was already immortal? If she turns in Vanessa does that mean she doesn't have to bathe in virgin blood anymore? It's a little late in the game to start feeling remorseful. I hope Mr. Lyle gets to kill her, somehow. I suspect her daughters are going to much things up and get themselves killed. The Master's got to be pretty unforgiving of deviation from his/it's orders to have Kali so firmly under his/it's thumb.

• Love 4
(edited)

This was absolutely glorious, I love this show so much!  I was so disappointed that Ethan and Dorian wouldn't finally meet again after their tryst at the ball that it didn't even occur to me that Ethan would also have met/seen Lilly.  I think Dorian definitely did recognize her (he took pictures of their rendezvous, after all) and was intrigued about her transformation.  I think he can sense what lies behind her cold hands, just as he saw what more there was to Vanessa. 

It seems that more then just meeting Dorian, Lily relapsing on her alcoholism would really have turned off Victor.  I take it she went back for more champagne after that first glass..  I was also pleased to see Dorian meet Victor.  In the book, Dorian blackmails a young doctor/chemist to do some 'cleaning up' for him, which could possibly happen here.  It's easy to understand Angelique's insecurity, I doubt she's ever known security and there's certainly no guarantee that things will last with Dorian. 

I wished that above Vanessa's blood scorpion, someone would hang a no-smoking sign!  Some of those scenes had me coughing.   I rather liked that vampire boy in the chains from last season, and was sad to see him go.  I like that Ethan revealed himself to Sambene.  I hope he will also open up about his mounting list of enemies.  Lyle was so sweet in trying to protect Vanessa from the witches, but I get the feeling that when she comes into her power, they will be no match. 

Edited by Glade
  • Love 1

Where has Ethan been changing before he came to the mansion with the convenient dungeon and chains?

I know we saw Vanessa climb into Ethan's bed last week but watching them easily share a cigarette made me happy.

I wanted Ethan to be at the ball but I know they're saving it. Man, that's gonna be a great revelation.

Next week looks like everything. I can't wait!

Interesting stuff.

If Sembene had a superpower, it would be sitting. Seriously, whether it's on the stairs or in the basement, I've never seen a man sit with such intensity.

Just after I'd come round to the idea that perhaps Dorian does have a heart, he goes and abandons Angelique for Lily. He clearly recognised the former Irish prostitute and has found something new and shiny to be intrigued by. Since constant boredom seems to be the price of youth and immortality (as Evelyn herself sadly pondered) it's hardly a surprise he would have the attention span of a goldfish. Still, I'm more interested than ever in the different "deals" that Evelyn and Dorian have clearly made with the devil. The witches have a malevolent purpose, yet Dorian is just living the good life. Why the disparity?

I thought Billie Piper actually did a good job in recognizing the ballroom and Dorian - there was definitely a little "ping" there, and I almost resent her line in which she voices her recognition of the place. They should have just trusted in Piper to convey that on her own (which she did). 

Vanessa also seemed to sense something when she took Frankenstein's hand, though I'm not sure why she had a reaction to him and not Lily last week.

The extras must have had a great day on set when the director told them: "okay, we're going to spray you all with fake blood now and you're going to keep on acting as though everything is normal."

• Love 6

I wonder if Hecate and Evelyn will be their own undoing.  It seems like Hecate is tired of Mommy bossing her around. And Evelyn's conversation with Lyle about trying to stay young.  The cut wife said she was 260 years old, so Evelyn's gotta be right up there. 

So Evelyn knew Vanessa was at her sister's but Vanessa doesn't know it was Evelyn & Co outside?  Can Vanessa find out that Evelyn manipulated the Lord and the town into killing the Cut Wife?   Because I would pay extra to see the shit go down when Vanessa goes after her for that, as well as when she figures out what Evelyn is doing to Malcolm and his now dead wife. 

I too was wondering if Dorian recognized Lily/Brona or not.  I would guess he did but am I correct in assuming he doesn't know that she died, right?  Now if he did know she had died and bam here she is that would explain why he had such a fasination with her but if that's not the case and he simply was enthralled with her new demeanor then pfft on you Mr. Gray.  I have really grown to like the Angelique character and to have you ignore her at her own ball is just heartless.  I kinda got the vibe something screwy was going on when Dorian kept going on & on about the uniqueness of their relationship and the looks on people's faces whey they see them together.  I agree with the blogger he seems to be more in love with the oddity of their relationship not with Angelique personally.

• Love 3

Poor Angelique indeed. Although she didn't seem particularly perturbed with Dorian and Lily, but perhaps I missed a cut where she looked bummed out. Dorian definitely recognised who Lily was, I think.

I did find the cliffhanger with Vanessa a bit anticlimactic though. The blood rain was gorgeous and horrifying but, considering all the shit happening to Vanessa, when she just fainted it was like, okay, so what? Fainting's nothing to this woman.

But finally Wolfman!

• Love 1
(edited)

If it is one thing I need to do in life it is to use Mr. Lyle's shady ass comment to Hecate in a conversation. He said "I don't know what game you are playing but I shall enjoy as I watch the light hit your scales as you coil." Is there anymore elegant & beautiful way to call someone a snake without actually using the word? If so, I would like to hear it. Mr. Lyle, he was the belle of the ball. His hair and beard were at their regal at time best at the ball. I kept thinking he could be the great and powerful Oz from the Wizard of Oz or something.  This episode though may me very afraid for him. I think he has damn near declared himself 'Team Vanessa' to the witches and he might not be long for his world.

I do wonder if Vanessa is perhaps more powerful than the witches but just doesn't know it. I felt like she was a bit out of character and getting pretty aggressive with Evelyn at the ball. Reminded me of when she is in the throes of passion and becomes a bit dark and almost demon-y (not a word I know).  

I guess that whole learned Western cowboy/lawman/outlaw with the soul of a poet trope will just never die will it? That bounty hunter was dropping some serious prose at Casa Malcolm. He actually used the word 'commodious' in a conversation. Brava! If Ethan was changing that Friday, I wonder about the Pinkerton man.

I thought it was so interesting when Hecate referred to Vanessa as, and I quote "sacrosanct.' Which sort of begs the question of WTF their plan is in relation to her because I grow a bit tired & weary of the cat and mouse game with the witches. I'm having a hard time tolerating them with their fetish voodoo dolls and hair snatching and being able to infiltrate the group without them having any idea of their identity. What is the point of this if they basically can't really do any harm or touch Vanessa? Is she the devil's mate, charged with being the anti-Christ version of Mary who will give birth to the Omen?

Speaking of the fetishes, my question is - do they need to slaughter a fresh new baby for each one or are they still going off the remains of the original baby killing (a little dab will do you)? I hope they are not trying to illicit sympathy for Evelyn by having her lament the heavy price to pay for immortality. Girl bye.

If cut wife was over 200 years old she must have made some deal too. Same goes for Dorian. I am wondering if these deals were with a lesser demon or something. I have to perhaps re-watch the Cut Wife episode because I seem to recall the reason for Cut Wife's falling out with her sister was due to the coven perhaps summoning the devil and practically enslaving themselves to him for more 'perks.'

Hate to be petty, but they should never have Billie Piper wear her hair up like they did for the ball. It is the least flattering style for her.  I've been incredibly apathetic about this storyline but it just got a bit more interesting with Victor acting like a jealous possessive asshole and Lily looking like she has a bit of a spine and not here for that BS. 

I am liking the Scotland Yard detective.

The whole John Clare works at House of Horrors and interacts with blind girl who has a her family who might enslave him in a dungeon freak show the least interesting storyline this season.

Edited by islandgal140
Hate to be petty, but they should never have Billie Piper wear her hair up like they did for the ball. It is the least flattering style for her.  I've been incredibly apathetic about this storyline but it just got a bit more interesting with Victor acting like a jealous possessive asshole and Lily looking like she has a bit of a spine and not here for that BS.

I actually see this story from both POV, Lily wanting to spread her wings a bit and Victor, this being his first love, becoming jealous--all though his behavior towards Lily was harsh. 

Victor gets the award for least descriptive answer to a question EVER:  "How is your cousin?"  "Functioning."  Well thank you Dr. Frankenstein, we can all ease our minds knowing that the woman we just meet at the tea room has the ability to function. 

• Love 6
The extras must have had a great day on set when the director told them: "okay, we're going to spray you all with fake blood now and you're going to keep on acting as though everything is normal."

I thought the same thing!  I even wondered if it was CGI.  Or at least did they do it in one take.   I kept thinking OMG they are destroying that set and all those costumes.  The walls with the paintings has to be CGI.  That can't be a practical set.  Although I did see an extra bit about Evelyn Poole's home and most of that is practical, so maybe they go all out. 

• Love 1

Bounty Hunter didn't do his research. About 90% of that household could take his scalp without breaking a sweat. 

Thank you! The whole time he was making his threats I was like, dude? There are at least 2 people in this house that could annihilate you. Shut up and go home. But Josh Hartnett really did some wonderful work in this scene.

Inspector Rusk's hunches etc seem a little far-fetched. Why did he specifically bring up wolves with Ethan? I mean, why the hell would he guess that particular animal? I know he's just doing his job, and doing it well, but I still just want someone to gut puch him with his own fake arm.

Why did Ethan have Sembene sit so close to him? He had to have known he'd freak out with a snarling wolf two inches from his face. Maybe he's trying to train himself to recognize allies when transformed? I love Sembene shackled him up without question even though he was clearly going "wth, man, have you lost it?" No witch training and he even knows Malcom has got some hodoo thrown on him. They seriously need to give Sembene some story time instead of pretending black people didn't exist anywhere other than the kitchens in Victorian London.

If Sembene had a superpower, it would be sitting. Seriously, whether it's on the stairs or in the basement, I've never seen a man sit with such intensity.

God, I love Sembene so much, and desperately need an entire bottle episode dedicated to him.

I too am getting a little weary and a tad bit confused regarding Evelyn, Hecate etc.’s endgame with Vanessa. It seems like they want to do more with/to her than just “give her to the Master”. But I kind of don’t get what they’re trying to accomplish? It also continues to bug me that Evelyn and her daughters have been pretty consistently successful in their machinations. I want these witches to get their comeuppance and get smacked down! I’m so over Evelyn. I really need something bad to happen to her.

islandgal140 – I was also wondering the same thing about the fetish doll parts – are they still using the same baby? **shudder**

(hey, Dorian chilling in bed, hey).

For real though. And seriously, can they please incorporate Reeve Carney's beautiful singing voice into a storyline? Is that too much to ask? :-)

• Love 1
(edited)

Love this show! I also think Dorian recognized her immediately, thought I saw a knowing twinkle in his eye. The look of dismay from victor and Angelique when both were rebuffed in favor of the other's partner, ouch. Though, Victor seemed way more perturbed than Angelique. You could feel him fuming. I'm not sure if it's Lily's lack of awareness, or burgeoning remembrance that has her wanting to continue talking to Dorian. I sensed a desire to put Victor on the back burner in favor of more time with Dorian.

Can't wait to see Sambene's reaction, loved the scene with Ethan asking him for a favor. Also, at first, I thought he was rebuffing Vanessa, until the scene with him and Sambene, then the light bulb went off, full moon Friday night.

Can't wait to see these witches get their comeuppance. I am also anxiously awaiting when Caliban/Clare finds out about Victor and Lily, that will not go over well to say the least.

Inspector Rusk's hunches etc seem a little far-fetched. Why did he specifically bring up wolves with Ethan? I mean, why the hell would he guess that particular animal?

I was wondering this, as well, and then I thought, maybe he is lupus dei, too.

I need to go back and rewatch the part with Ethan & Inspector Rusk. I thought he was talking about lions, as Ethan said "I've never been on safari".

The lion reference was regarding how the inspector had seen lions treat their kill, how they toyed with and displayed the meat. Then he asked Ethan if there were animals in America that could do whatever had happened in the hotel. Ethan says something about possibly a black bear, and the inspector asks him what about a wolf? Granted, this is my recollection of that conversation at the crime scene museum.

Edited by BigBlueMastiff
  • Love 2

I need to go back and rewatch the part with Ethan & Inspector Rusk. I thought he was talking about lions, as Ethan said "I've never been on safari". 

Yes, pretty much everybody in the house could take out the bounty hunter.  And Lyle would charm him to death. 

We only have four episodes left.  BOO.  The previews for next week look crazmazing in that

Ethan & Vanessa are up at the Cut Wife's house and he's teaching her how to shoot. 

I have day dreams of what Vanessa and Ethan will do to Evelyn and the Mean Girls. 

• Love 1

I loved the irony of having a discussion between the witch and her toady about seeking to regain lost youth before they went to a party at Dorian Gray's house. If she only knew how close she was to the secret.

• Love 5
(edited)
I loved the irony of having a discussion between the witch and her toady about seeking to regain lost youth before they went to a party at Dorian Gray's house. If she only knew how close she was to the secret.

I thought that as well and it makes me want an entire episode dedicated to Dorian Gray!  I mean we all know the basic story but I would like to see how Penny Dreadful plays it out.

But the story of the witches seeking eternal youth seems a bit weak to me.  Here we are, yet again, another female character simply wanting to stay young and pretty.  It's AHS: Coven all over again. 

The lion reference was regarding how the inspector had seen lions treat their kill, how they toyed with and displayed the meat. Then he asked Ethan if there were animals in America that could do whatever had happened in the hotel. Ethan says something about possibly a black bear, and the inspector asks him what about a wolf? Granted, this is my recollection of that conversation at the crime scene museum.

I just watched this episode and you are correct.  Ethan said I've never killed a lion before and that's when the conversation turned to how lions kill their prey.  I too was a bit surprised how Rusk jumped right to the wolf idea.  Maybe it was the way the victims were killed but still it seems a bit far fetched to simply come out and ask a suspect about wolves, indicating that he knows Ethan is one.  At least that's what I got from the conversation.  If that's the case then we sure certainly open to all possibilities in 1900.

I wish Ethan would just tell Vanessa about his lycanthropy.  I mean the girl is possessed by the devil or being chased by some demon at least every other damn day!  Does he think she wouldn't understand?  She would turn away?  Being weird seems to be right up her alley.

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 2
But the story of the witches seeking eternal youth seems a bit weak to me.  Here we are, yet again, another female character simply wanting to stay young and pretty.  It's AHS: Coven all over again.

That's not all they're doing. They're trying to get to Vanessa in order to make her succumb to the Devil and become his bride.  The cut wife was 260 years old and she wasn't trying to stay beautiful and young.  I think part of living forever is that your beauty regimen game is stepped up by about 1000%.  There's the drinking virgin blood, and all the other rituals, take off your make up at night, etc.  

• Love 3
That's not all they're doing. They're trying to get to Vanessa in order to make her succumb to the Devil and become his bride.

I agree that the plan seems a bit vague and not making sense.  It seems like at first they were just going to take her from the carriage, but then she spoke and it freaked them out?  Maybe now they are going to try to do what they can to make her "go postal" and release her powers and if she thinks she's evil she will welcome the Devil?  Don't know.

I think the clue to the question if Dorian recognized Brona was the conversation he had with Angelique in bed.  Something like "let them come look at how unusual and unique we are".  Well, what is more unique than a dead girl come back to life?  I don't think Dorian quite knows what she is yet, but he knows she is the same girl but completely changed.  He's totally in for that.

Thank you! The whole time he was making his threats I was like, dude? There are at least 2 people in this house that could annihilate you. Shut up and go home. But Josh Hartnett really did some wonderful work in this scene.

This made me laugh as well, and I'm sure I saw a little smile in Josh Hartnett's eyes when this threat was made. "You want to scalp all the people in this house? I would LOVE to see you try. Start with the woman who's regularly possessed by a demon and then work your way onto the man who shot his own daughter and the guy who casually snapped a cat's neck and have fun!"

• Love 3

This may seem silly, but I was disappointed that no one asked Vanessa to dance at the ball (that we saw). Ethan turned down her invitation to be her escort (for a good reason), and when she went by herself no one asked her to dance! Dorian, Victor, Malcolm or Lyle all could have asked her to dance.

• Love 1

Count me in as being one of the people incredulous that Roper thought he could threaten Ethan. He watched him tear apart a room and lost half his face in the process. This is not a person you give advanced warning to. Ever.

I hate the inspector. He's giving me way too much modern CSI. His leap to wolves made me roll my eyes hard. It didn't even made sense. Also, Ethan is giving himself away. He's just way too jumpy once he leaves the inspector's presence.

I thought Dorian clearly recognized Lily but was playing along. The last he knew of her, she was a dying, poor Irish redhead. Now here she is again: blonde, British, and cousin to the good doctor and to the normal eye, in the pink of health. I think Dorian wants to know more.

• Love 3

If cut wife was over 200 years old she must have made some deal too. Same goes for Dorian. I am wondering if these deals were with a lesser demon or something. I have to perhaps re-watch the Cut Wife episode because I seem to recall the reason for Cut Wife's falling out with her sister was due to the coven perhaps summoning the devil and practically enslaving themselves to him for more 'perks.'

I believe that's exactly what happened. The coven turned to the devil for power but the Cut-Wife wasn't interested, so they kicked her out. I'm guessing both Evelyn and her sister bargained for a longer life (or maybe it's just a side effect of practicing magic), but to stay young and beautiful, Evelyn threw in with the devil. In the book, I think Dorian made sort of an offhand wish for eternal youth, and it was granted. I don't believe it was the devil/the "Master" who responded to Dorian's wish in the book, but of course that doesn't mean it isn't the case here.

As much as I would love an episode or so devoted to Sembene's backstory, I'd also like to learn more about the Inspector. The fact that he immediately assumed that something supernatural was afoot leads me to believe he's dealt with it before. And he obviously suspects that Ethan is a werewolf, or why else would he specifically bring up wolves? Maybe he can tell it's a werewolf by the way the victims were killed; obviously there are no bears or wolves on the loose in London, so what else could it be?

• Love 1

For what its worth:  In betting between Hecate and Evelynn?  I might actually pick Hecate as her plan seems to be predicated first on supplanting her mother (possibly by undoing her immortality) and then taking it from there and less some specific grand thing.  Also, did anyone else think that her comments to Lyle regarding betrayal indicate that she knows his feelings on the situation and is going to let it go (or file it away for later use) while her mother doesn't?

Lyle's survival odds?  Depends on whether turning good is a death sentence or not.

Well, they at least made an effort to integrate Angelique & Dorian into the main story, have to appreciate that.  Regarding Angelique and Dorian breaking Angelique's heart?  A sign of that was in the "Dance with me Dorian" "Later" response (geez dude, a little pleasantness...).

It really did look like a nice ball until the whole blood bath thing...

And any time they combine Ethan & Sembene in a scene together is gold, no matter how small...

• Love 2

Count me in as being one of the people incredulous that Roper thought he could threaten Ethan. He watched him tear apart a room and lost half his face in the process. This is not a person you give advanced warning to. Ever.

This is exactly what I was yelling at the TV when he made his threats!  Last time he went up against Ethan, with an entire crew bearing guns and knives, he lost.  Probably the only reason he's even still alive is because wolfman Ethan was full from eating Roper's friends and could only get through half his face before giving up on the rest of the meal and finding somewhere to take a nap.  For a man who lost half his face in the process, he certainly has some balls.  

• Love 1
I wish Ethan would just tell Vanessa about his lycanthropy.  I mean the girl is possessed by the devil or being chased by some demon at least every other damn day!  Does he think she wouldn't understand?  She would turn away?  Being weird seems to be right up her alley.

Especially since last week when she went to his room, she told him whatever you are, I am with you.    It could be like Willow and Oz on Buffy. When everyone found out what he was, they helped him by locking him up during the full moon and standing watch over him. No judgment. 

• Love 4

I picture the costumers wailing "Nooooooo! Not on the satinnnnnnnn!" I also imagine the musicians wanting to quick swap out their Stradivarii for a prop piece when the red rain started.

I want Lily's dress. Now.

The scene between McCrory and Green* was delicious. Both of them, like cats toying with a mouse. Such pleasant expressions, such malice underneath.

*The name of my law firm**, specialists in malpractice.

**Not really.

• Love 2

I'd be interested to know how much Ethan knows about his own condition, because when he was being locked up in the shackles, I thought how easily he will slip right through them once he transforms into a wolf. Perhaps Ethan doesn't really understand what happens when the moon is full, he just knows something happens and lots of people die and he can't remember.

I must admit, the whole ball scene was beautifully choreographed and costumed. I wonder if they hired some kind of professional dancing troupe or if they just paid extras to rehearse those scenes for days, because seeing them all moving in sync around the room like that was kind of astounding. 

Oh, Angelique - you should have known, Dorian is just not a one-woman man. Or, a one-man man either. I bet he'd be up for a three-way with you and Lily, though. 

• Love 3
(edited)

The most horrific sight on this weeks Penny Dreadful? 

Malcolm without his beard! 

"Murray...Malcolm Murray."

So did Dorian really not fully recognize Brona/Lily or was he just playing along?

How is it that Malcolm doesn't notice the bloody scab on his neck or the blood stains on his collar?

Mr. Lyle, I think it's time for a vacation in Paris or something.  Someplace across the channel, before the witches notice you're missing.

Bloody Ball was kind of neat.  Mrs. Poole and her coven sure have it over Team Malcolm.  I wonder how they'll find out about the dolls, and how do you break the curse anyway?  Smashing the dolls might kill them.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 2
(edited)

Whatever Sir Malcolm is paying Sembene, it aint enough. Man deserves a raise ASAP. 

You guys, you don't understand my love for this crazy show. Where so many of my other favorite shows let me down this season, this one just keeps on keeping on, giving us one great episode after the next. I just...I just adore it. 

The American Werewolf in London jokes are still not old yet.

I feel like Ethan always thinks of that Dracula lacky everyone kept locked up and killed, whenever he thinks of telling everyone the truth about what happens to him on full moons. I know it wouldn't be like that with Ethan, but it might be a little worry in the back of his head, that's upsetting enough to not tell even Vanessa the truth. 

I could watch Vanessa and Lady Pool exchange polite, smiling threats all day long. You got to give it up to the Victorians, they got creative with their threats and insults. Politeness and all that. 

This show must be a dream job for costume designers. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

I could watch Vanessa and Lady Pool exchange polite, smiling threats all day long. You got to give it up to the Victorians, they got creative with their threats and insults. Politeness and all that.

What was that one Lyle said to Hecate? Something about how he'll enjoy watching the sunlight bounce off her scales. That cracked me up. Lyle is awesome.

• Love 2

I'd be interested to know how much Ethan knows about his own condition, because when he was being locked up in the shackles, I thought how easily he will slip right through them once he transforms into a wolf. Perhaps Ethan doesn't really understand what happens when the moon is full, he just knows something happens and lots of people die and he can't remember.

That's what I think too, which is the main reason he wanted Sembene to sit in that chair. I think when he went on that rampage at the inn he realized he was a werewolf, but there's a difference between knowing that and knowing that. If he just wanted to be locked up, he could have done it himself, but he was very clear about asking Sembene to sit there, watch him, and not move. (I love how agreeable Sembene was about that, and about chaining him up in the first place.) He wanted confirmation that he is indeed a werewolf, and he is indeed being transformed against his will during a full moon.

(edited)

And the award for Understatement/Question of the Season Thus Far goes to . . . Ethan Chandler!

Ethan: Will you help me with something?

Sembene: Let me guess: You want to move the fainting couch from the foot of your bed to under the far window, which I think is definitely a better—

Ethan: —Mmm, nope.

Sembene: A cooking lesson in the proper construction of a buttercream torte? You know, the custard makes or breaks the whole thing.

Ethan (leading S. downstairs): Not so much.

Sembene: Brainstorm ideas to convert the dungeon into a home office? Figure out why Sir Malcom is acting hella weird and what to do about it . . .?

Ethan (presenting manacles): Nah, brah.

Sembene: Aw, crap.

Edited by spaceghostess
  • Love 2
(edited)

I still don't know why they dress Dorian they way they do. He can be unconventional and still stylish.

I can't see men falling over themselves for Lily. Every time I see her face, I see a large-mouthed bass.

Hoping for something more dramatic at the ball than Vanessa swooning.

Will the Pinkerton guy turn too since he was bitten?

Timothy Dalton looks better without the beard. Cracked me up when Sir Malcolm was all, damn, we'll have to replace the rug!

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 5

I liked this episode. One scene was a bit Carrie-ish, right?

Finding Hecate trying to undermine her mother rather interesting as well. Some solid scenes with her and Lyle in this episode as well.

There was something gloriously soapy about the interactions that Vanessa and Evelyn had over Malcolm as well.

Ethan letting Sembene know about his wolf status was a good move as well. Both Rusk and that other guy are serious problems for him.

The more strangely Victor acts around Lily, the more likely he's going to trigger her memories back. Dorian's house nearly did and when she meets Ethan again, that probably will too. Even Vanessa seemed suspicious this week about Victor/Lily.

Angelique was a bit ignored in this episode, despite the ball being a coming out for her and Dorian.

If I were Caliban, I'd get away from that family and fast. 8/10

• Love 2

There was something off about Lavinia suddenly being scared. Her father is loitering in the shadows looking all sinister- I initially thought she was sensing his presence and that was what scared her instead of Caliban.

It would be quite a twist if her father turned out to be a monster and Caliban ended up being her saviour.

• Love 2

Yeah, I'm not sure how you distinguish between cold hands and really, really cold hands. I mean, I get that Caliban's hands are cold, because he's dead. But, they're not ice-cold. This isn't the arctic circle and he's not frozen. I would expect them to be room temperature in fact. I'm not sure I buy her being so freaked out - or clued in - after just touching his hands when she's already had the chance to touch is face, and also knows his eyes are yellow or whatever color he said.

• Love 1

Yeah, I'm not sure how you distinguish between cold hands and really, really cold hands. I mean, I get that Caliban's hands are cold, because he's dead. But, they're not ice-cold. This isn't the arctic circle and he's not frozen. I would expect them to be room temperature in fact. I'm not sure I buy her being so freaked out - or clued in - after just touching his hands when she's already had the chance to touch is face, and also knows his eyes are yellow or whatever color he said.

I don't know how I missed that she had touched his face before and didn't have any sort of reaction. Sloppy for the writers who are usually on point. 

I've seen the previews for next week

so I know that Vanessa finds out about Ethan's wolf status. So looking forward to that.

Ethan, Vanessa and Sembene remain my favorite characters. I just can't get on the Victor train. After all, he murdered Brona, reanimated her as Lily and is now actively engaged in have sex with a walking, talking corpse. Just as is the case with Dorian and Angelique, I have a feeling things will not turn out well for Lily and Victor.

At this point, the only show more visually appealing is Hannibal.

Not much else to say that hasn't been said by others.

I'm practically panicking for Mr. Lyle every episode.

There's always one side character that seems to make it through on shows like this, but I can barely watch when he's talking to the witches. I am hoping he unlocks the key to all those artifacts. 

The show brings the yuks though. Vanessa to Victor: Hey, nice flower! Dorian: I like that flower amirite?! 

Is it too much to ask for shows to have some fun moments to them. I almost dread Sunday nights because Game of Thrones is such a chore. 

I have a theory that Dorian recognized Brona/Lily but didn't say anything because he's a gentleman and he understands and respects secrets.

He looked at her very obviously. Dorian knows who he's banged. He's not one to forget. I think Dorian knows who Brona is and was smart enough to shut up about it. At the same time, his own curiosity isn't going to let it go. "Hey, you threw up on me and then we did it. Why are you pretending you're someone else?" Victor, however, is a terrible boyfriend. 

What I really liked was at the beginning, Vanessa was smoking, and then Ethan sat down and took a drag from the same cigarette and handed it back to her like it was no thing. She didn't even look at him while they were all talking. 

Vanessa Ives don't need no escort to the ball thank you very much. 

In the book, I think Dorian made sort of an offhand wish for eternal youth, and it was granted. I don't believe it was the devil/the "Master" who responded to Dorian's wish in the book, but of course that doesn't mean it isn't the case here.

No, that was the point of the book iirc. There weren't any demons. Dorian in the book became corrupted from his wish all on his own. They definitely have shown the portrait already from the back. (Which if it has Vanessa in it, I win.)

• Love 2

You guys, you don't understand my love for this crazy show. Where so many of my other favorite shows let me down this season, this one just keeps on keeping on, giving us one great episode after the next. I just...I just adore it. 

Oh, but I do understand. It's like John Logan has gained unprecedented access to my neural centers and tapped into every one of my major feels for Victorian literature, gothic creepiness (particularly weird puppets and waxworks), flawed heroes, strong women, tall men, and sumptuous textiles. Every episode is a decadent and delicious exercise in wish fulfillment. So I'm with you: madly in love with this show. I've heard the already low-ish ratings have dipped this season, though, so I'm scared. If PD goes, I'll be stricken by Deadwood-cancellation levels of despair. Here's hoping Showtime cares more about acclaim than numbers.

The American Werewolf in London jokes are still not old yet.

My favorite werewolf flick!  And speaking of movies, whenever someone introduces Victor as "Dr. Frankenstein", I hear Gene Wilder fuming, "Franken-steen!"

You guys probably know already, but in case not: the Penny Dreadful production blog on Showtime's site has one feature about how they set up and filmed the blood ball, and another one about choreography. Pretty nifty.

• Love 3

Reading "sumptuous textiles" out loud made me partially swoon. 

I've only seen Eva Green in a few things, but I feel like she was born to play this role. Dress her up and cover her in blood? She's down. Beat her up and brand her with a hot iron? She's ready. Strip her nude and simulate sex with a demon? All in a day's work. 

• Love 3
(edited)

He looked at her very obviously. Dorian knows who he's banged. He's not one to forget. I think Dorian knows who Brona is and was smart enough to shut up about it. At the same time, his own curiosity isn't going to let it go. "Hey, you threw up on me and then we did it. Why are you pretending you're someone else?"  

Not only did she throw up on him.  She threw up blood right on his face and he seemed to be turned on by it.  I tell ya Dorian is the epitome of a freak.

Why is Victor so bold when it comes to Lily?  He's having sex with her when he's seen what Caliban has done after any sense of betrayal from Victor.  After seeing Proteus ripped in half, I wouldn't even look at Lily much less tap her.  Also, he has Ethan to worry about as well.  Bringing Lily out in public and introducing her to the monster hunter gang seems like an incredibly bad idea.  That said, I really am hoping that the Brona/Lily reveal will lead to a Frankenstein's Monster vs. Wolfman showdown.

Edited by maczero
  • Love 1