Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Tami Roman/Kerri Walsh-Jennings

Tami is/was on Basketball Wives and the Real World: LA (season three). Kerri is the three-time(?) Olympic gold medalist in beach volleyball. Her partner was Misty May-Trainor.

Who? I must be really out of touch, I don't recognize a lot of "celebrities" these days.

• Love 1

I wonder if Kerri was the one I saw on a TV news magazine feature.  She and her husband were having issues and to save their marriage they took on traditional marriage roles.  At least I thought it was Misty May Trainor's volleyball partner.  They lived on the beach and her husband is/was a surfer.  

I have no clue who Tami is.  Most of the people they bring on this show are people I have never or barely heard of.  It must not pay much.  

• Love 1

I haven't seen her after the Real World but she was lovely to the people she worked at her job telling people if they had HIV in the early 90s, let her abortion be filmed and if that wasn't enough to remember her fondly, myself and friends use "it wasn't not funny!" to this day!

• Love 5

I only knew Tami from The Real World, but I found her surprisingly likable in this episode. In fact, I liked everybody. It seemed like her husband and the Jenningses were all so low-key that nobody was going to be the first to start flipping out, so no one did. I actually liked this episode a lot!

• Love 2

I never watched Basketball Wives but have seen many clips of Tami being a violent asshole.

Twoods, I agree, her complaining about everything got on my nerves fast.

Neither wife followed the rules but had no problem making the families follow theirs.

• Love 2

I wasn't familiar with any of them, but didn't really care for either of the women. The Olympians' schedule seemed like it was just for the show. I'm sure they have the kids on a schedule, but missing baths because dinner was a few minutes late (Tami said 5) seemed like acting. Also, the Olympian dad wanting to go play volleyball with his friends was probably because he wanted to play volleyball with his friends, as opposed to the need to do something every minute of every day like the show wanted me to believe. He decided to add more relaxation time into their schedule in the end, because it had always been there, in my opinion.

Kerri turning her nose up at the food and calling it "heart attack food" when she must have known about Tami's heart attack seemed like bad acting. It was also rude. You don't have to eat it every day. Calling the food someone is providing you "poison" is pretty hateful, but I think she was overacting for the camera. I didn't blame her for wanting to leave the strip club. She gave it a try but wasn't enjoying herself there; it wasn't her scene. 

Tami was just rude in general. She had no plans to follow the rules and when it was her turn to change them, she seemed quite pushy about it. I missed a tiny bit but I think she was letting the kids stay up late on pizza night. I could understand why Dad didn't like it. The family beach scene was nice though.

• Love 1

I didn't know who Kerri was but her self righteousness made me hate her immediately. "People still drink soda?" "Heart attack on a plate!"

Her kids were having a blast eating pizza and playing video games, and as they laughed and cheered, dad is bitching that they're off schedule.

What I found curious about Kerri was regardless of her diligence about what goes in her body, her face looks like the 'after' picture on a meth poster. Once they put her in the cheap wig, I thought someone had given a makeover to teen mom April.

• Love 2

Kerri spends a lot of time in the sun.  Even the little kids were out on the beach with no hats.  They have very fair skinned children.  I was most concerned about the youngest.  I assume they at least wear sunscreen.  One would hope anyway.  The healthiest diet in the world isn't going to save anyone's skin from extended time in the sun.  

• Love 3

Wow watching just the previews, I went in not liking Tami and liking Kerri but how wrong was that (this was from my dislike for anything ***insert*** wives).  I liked Tami and like what she did for Kerri's kids.  What got me with Kerri was she was so all about health and no one looked healthy at all.  The yoga person, her husband, and herself were so sun damaged and looked years older than they are.  All I kept thinking of was they were leather damaged looking at them. And if you care what goes in your body, then care what is coming down on your kids skin. 

• Love 5
(edited)

All I could see when the volleyball husband was on was Toby Flenderson, post Dunder-Mifflin (The Office).

YES! I immediately thought Kasey resembles Toby too. It certainly made watching him more enjoyable.

Other than a brief snippet on Basketball Wives, I haven't really watched Tami since she appeared on The Real World back in the early 1990s. I liked her on The Real World with her dialogue gem "wasn't not funny" and when she sang "I'm a slave, I'm a slave, I'm a slave to your lovin..." with her group, Reality. It was especially candid when she had an abortion that season. That was probably one of the realest moments in reality show history. It was also revealed that she was homeless with her mother while in high school. Interestingly enough, eating unhealthy was a problem even on The Real World and she opted to have her jaw wired shut to prevent her from eating. I don't remember ever seeing her smoke on The Real World though. And it was incredibly sad to me to see what she's become. I wanted better for her, and it's sad to me to hear that she's still doing reality TV (even though it pays the bills) and suffered a minor heart attack at a relatively young age. Not to mention, her relationship with Reggie seems to be based primarily on sex. To each their own I guess.

I think the main problem with Celebrity Wife Swap are the extremes. Yes, like Kerri said, chicken wings and soda are bad for you, but she seemed to think they should be avoided entirely. They're fine in moderation. They're only "poison" and "heart attack food" if they're a major part of a steady diet. One can of soda or a couple slices of pizza isn't going to hurt anybody. Even the most hardcore professional athletes have cheat days. While Kerri has valid points and Tami's family needs to eat better and exercise more, it's equally important to indulge and enjoy life once in a while. Methinks all that healthy living and structure that Kerri has for her kids is going to backfire. The kids will want to rebel and experience the "bad" things in life, so exposing them to occasional junk food in moderation, for example, might not be such a bad thing. Conversely, I hate how health food is portrayed on reality shows. Healthy food can taste good, but they always choose to feature the green slop or the "salad juice" as Reggie called it. Healthy eating can actually be quite satisfying and shouldn't be feared by those who can probably afford that lifestyle.

I agree with Kerri's decision to leave the strip club. She played by the rules and accompanied Reggie. She didn't need to stay there once she started feeling uncomfortable. I don't blame Reggie for staying at the club either. He seems like a nice enough guy. I'm just not sure why he would want to be tied down by Tami when she's 17 years his senior and he could be playing the field. I guess Tami keeps him satisfied and he prefers older women. I also wonder what qualifies them to host a radio show about sex.

I doubt that anything other than minute changes will be made as a result of this episode, but I hope Tami takes her daughter's letter to heart and starts living better.

What was the deal with Keanu BTW? I thought that was weird.

Edited by jmonkey
  • Love 2

Why does every TV depiction of healthy eating have to start with a green spinach or kale smoothie for breakfast? 

How about oatmeal?  Kefir and granola?  an egg and whole-grain toast?  If you want to introduce someone to a breakfast smoothie, try banana, yogurt, strawberries.  It doesn't have to be GREEN and taste like grass!

• Love 3

I also hated the "Mr Mom"  idea.  A man who is active in raising his kids is not playing "mom" ,  he is being a DAD.   Tami made it sound like it was demeaning for a man to raise his kids, like it makes him less of a man.  That bothered me a lot. 

I have never been to a strip club, and never had any interest in going to one.  That would have made me very uncomfortable.  It's not about religion or morals, it's more about not having an interest in anything sexual outside of a relationship.

• Love 3

I had no prior knowledge of any of these folks before this episode.  Kerri is an Olympic athlete and would naturally have an extremely healthy diet.  Normal people with normal diets don't win the Olympics (at least there didn't appear to be any steroid use!).  In contrast, Tami's family appeared to have the very worst possible eating habits(agreed that Tami's physique looked like she's doing something right), so I could definitely see some room for improvement.  At the level they appeared to be consuming soda and fried food I would agree it was poison. 

Although those shakes were green (I too have a problem with drinking green liquids), they don't always necessarily taste bad.  But if someone is used to very sugary and fatty foods, their taste buds may be out of whack, or they may have been overacting for the camera.  The camera cut away right after the first swallow so we couldn't see if perhaps after they had a few seconds to actually taste it they may have said "actually, that's not too bad". 

Did anyone else notice that Kerri's youngest, the daughter, seemed to be crying almost all the time?  That kinda bugged me.  Maybe she wasn't feeling well at the time.  And, both Kerri and husband did have a weathered look to them, I wondered what their ages are.  I sure hope they know enough to put sunscreen on those kids! 

I had no idea that going to strip clubs is normal.  Seriously, really?  Not in my world.  While I appreciate the talent involved to work the pole, I have no interest in peering at a woman's girly parts as she shakes them in my face.  Yeah, Tami and her beau seemed very hyper-sexual, as if their entire world revolved around it.  Jazz seemed to be a very sweet girl.

• Love 2
(edited)

I eat healthy 90% of the time and indulge the remaining 10%. Life is too short not to enjoy a little junk food once in a while. I do think Tami needs to change her diet. She's very young and has already had a heart attack, but still eat junks and smokes. However, I believe that you have to meet someone where they are - if they love ice cream, suggest frozen yogurt. If they love hamburgers, suggest getting one without a bun and added more veggies (tomatoes, lettuce, etc.). IDK, I think expecting Tami to change her diet completely is unrealistic. You have to work up to green smoothies.

I am surprised Kerri did this show. I am glad she left the strip club. She was a good sport. However, french fries and fried chicken are heart attack food when you eat them constantly. You can have fries for lunch once in a while and be just fine.

Reggie is a cutie. He's on Marriage Boot Camp with Tami on WE and he has said that he wants a family soon while Tami is opposed to that idea. She doesn't want more children. I am curious as to how long they will last.

I found it hard to believe that Tami devours junk food and doesn't work out. Did you see her body? Her daughter looked very fit too.

I can buy that she doesn't work out. There have been rumors for some time that she lost weight using weight loss pills. No idea how true that is, but she lost weight very quickly and has a bobble-head look to her now.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 1

I didn't even realize that this Tami was the same girl from The Real World! My brother and I use "It wasn't not funny" on a daily basis! I didn't mind her so much in this episode but I found Kerri to be annoying and judgmental. They definitely need to change their diets but her family looked really unhealthy in other ways.

• Love 1

Tami's fa ily might not eat the healthiest, but they looked happy. Kerri's family seemed to see life as a daily list of chores to get through. When was happy, fun time? Her kids looked so sad.

• Love 1

I wonder if Kerri was the one I saw on a TV news magazine feature.  She and her husband were having issues and to save their marriage they took on traditional marriage roles.

You're thinking of Gabrielle Reece and Laird Hamilton.

Kerri is probably 38 or 39.  She was the same academic year as my sister, and my sister's high school team would play hers (on occasion) in basketball and volleyball.  They both went to Catholic high schools in the Bay Area.  And, yes, being a professional beach volleyball player for almost 20 years is going to leave you with skin damage. But she is in phenomenal shape!  She looked great in those clothes.

Also, she went to college with me and my husband; he knew her, and she was a really nice, hardworking girl.

• Love 1