Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: Kimberly and Joyce

Two women are at a major crossroads in their lives due to hoarding. Joyce's husband is ready to break up their 38-year marriage if she doesn't clean up; Kimberly is facing eviction if she doesn't address her hoard.

I don't understand how a 10 yr old with osteoporosis from malnutrition doesn't trigger CPS.

The other couple was interesting, I do think in that case they were both to blame. I doubt they will ever have heat.

• Love 2

I thought the same thing about CPS.  Also that her father did not send in CPS and take his daughter earlier.  Though I am glad he went with his kids to help with Kimberly's hoard.  It was good to see the follow up that she is continuing to keep her apartment neat.  I can't believe her neighbors in the building did not turn her in.  Her place had so much trash, all those drink cups, it had to stink.  

Joyce and her husband, crazy.  Surprised they are still together (even as roommates).  

It was good to see the regular format and familiar faces.   

At first I felt sorry for Joyce's husband, then I saw he had no desire to contribute to the house other than "his" two rooms. Although we saw he uses the kitchen and presumably the bathroom--he just doesn't feel the need to participate in the upkeep.

I get the concept of feeling of "why should I was a dish if there is a pile in the middle of the kitchen floor?" However, he didn't adjust when the pile was disappearing.

• Love 1

I could barely pay attention to either of the stories because the orchestral soundtrack the editors had turned up to 11 was so damned distracting.

Towards the end of the Joyce segment, someone said that the hoard was so huge that they couldn't get to it all in the few days' time they had, so they focused on mostly community areas: the living room, kitchen, and a bedroom for Joyce. All I could think was "Uhhh, what about the bathroom, isn't that a pretty damn important community area?!"

I saw the dirty plate and paper napkin left in the sink by the husband as a really hateful act. But it seemed to me that she had blamed the hoarding on him for a long time ("He never helps me clean up!"), and I'm sure years and years of being blamed for a hoard that you had very little part in creating (she was the shopaholic) had created a lot of resentment in him that wasn't going to disappear in a couple of days...especially if she was quick to threaten him with a knife. As much as she needs counseling for her hoarding behavior, they also need couples counseling.

I was a little confused by Kimberly sleeping on the floor cuddled up to the radiator, but then once her room was cleaned and she had a bed, suddenly the entire room was warm enough for her to sleep in the bed without being on top of the heater? It's not like she had hoarded up her bedroom with tons of blocks of ice, so it didn't make sense to me. Did they explain that they had fixed the heating system and I missed it, or something?

Also, I caught the rerun of the woman who originated "I had plans for that rock!" I had always thought it was an exaggeration when I read about it on various message boards but, nope, those specific words actually came out of a hoarder's mouth. Amazing. That woman also had ten sewing machines, and wouldn't let a single one go.

• Love 2

I could barely pay attention to either of the stories because the orchestral soundtrack the editors had turned up to 11 was so damned distracting.

I am so glad you said this - I watched with my mom and both of us were like...WHAT?? WHAT?? The mixing was completely wacky. It was really hard to hear dialogue.

What is going on with that?  I have noticed it on several cable shows lately.  I was beginning to wonder if there was something wrong with my TV sound system.  It is really bad on A Haunting (most recently on Destination America but also has been on others).  I have to rewind often to try to make out what people are saying as the music is blaring.  

(edited)
What is going on with that?  I have noticed it on several cable shows lately.

Ugh. I think it's because whoever is producing these crappy shows thinks if they play dramatic music every second of the show, everything will be dramatic. Seems they've all forgotten the meaning of "nuance" or "a little goes a long way." If they want everything to be dramatic, as underscored by the annoying, unrelenting score, nothing will be dramatic. I watched an old episode of Hoarding: Buried Alive today; no dramatic score. Still every bit as gross without it.

This message has been brought to you by the Committee to Use Dramatic as Many Times as Possible in a Single Message Board Post. Spokesperson has not been paid.

Edited by Guest

I was a little confused by Kimberly sleeping on the floor cuddled up to the radiator, but then once her room was cleaned and she had a bed, suddenly the entire room was warm enough for her to sleep in the bed without being on top of the heater? It's not like she had hoarded up her bedroom with tons of blocks of ice, so it didn't make sense to me. Did they explain that they had fixed the heating system and I missed it, or something?

I thought they said something about the importance of doing her bedroom in order to get the plumbing fixed which made no sense to me except that maybe a pipe was frozen/broken in one of those walls and inaccessible without going through that side?  

I am afraid of space heaters in the best of circumstances -- seeing them in hoards is worse.  

I know the husband was a jerk, but that lady is crazy.  And not just hoarding crazy -- knife wielding crazy.  I'll give a jerk a pass for not wanting to engage a crazy person.