Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Antipasto

(edited)

pasdetrois

I'll tolerate the prolonged film school artistry for one or two episodes.

"Tolerate" is a perfect word for this show, in my opinion.  Well-said, padetrois.

The show walks a fine line between hack-ish and brilliantly new/different.  I'll grant them this premier of the season -- where they have to acknowledge the audience may  have a lot of folks who are new to their style.  Throw 'em right in the deep end, I says.  However, if they keep up the film-school slathering and get in the way of any plot, they might find themselves losing viewers.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 3
(edited)

I don't see the chemistry between Mads and Gillian.

Mads has had chemistry with almost every male character on this show but the females I haven't seen at all especially the catastrophe that was his relationship with Alana! I thought his relationship with Bedelia was interesting last season but I'm noticing now that they've got more scenes together that it's not there. That's why I can't wait to see Will back and also wish they would've kept Dimmond around. His scenes with him were very good.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but Mads' portrayal of Hannibal in this first episode seems kind of remote and checked-out.

I think Mads is amazing. I can see why people would think that but he's just perfect for this role. Every time I see him on the screen I just want more! I guess because now that I've seen his wonderful portrayal of Hannibal (he deserves an Emmy nomination in my opinion) I can't see Anthony Hopkins as anything but silly. I was never a big fan of the books or the movies so I came into the show not knowing (and still don't) much of the story. I'll never accept another Hannibal.

Edited by kmm49

I'll tolerate the prolonged film school artistry for one or two episodes. I often am rhapsodic at this kind of thing; loved the imagery in Wolf Hall.

But the long periods between Hannibal seasons and my appreciation of the Will and Jack characters (and actors), not to mention the kooky FBI lab techs, leave me with a need for the continuation of that story.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but Mads' portrayal of Hannibal in this first episode seems kind of remote and checked-out. The flat intonation doesn't help. (But I loved his teeny subtle little snit about earning his new job.) Maybe I'm just missing the connection, however sadistic, he had with Will and Jack.

I think that's how Hannibal was meant to seem without Will.

• Love 1

Wow, this show is really confusing to follow for anyone trying to jump in at the start of this season.

That was exactly my thought while watching this episode. I've been in since S1 Ep1 (which I've watched numerous times) so I understood the flashbacks (although the scenes with Abel I thought were superfluous and a bit gratuitious, I know how Abel's stint on this show ended). I just wish Fuller had toned it down a bit to bring new viewers in.

If I were Bedelia, I would be more direct about letting FBI know where Hannibal and I were instead of counting on a printed shopping bag viewed on a CC camera ... if that camera was even working or recording or if tapes are even kept from that CC. Heck, I'd be all, "May I borrow your phone ... PLEASE!?" on my first trip to that truffle wine shop.

While so many are fans of Mads, I watch this show for Will/Hugh. Mads is just a good actor in the Fancy Will Dancy show IMO. I'll even overlook the artsy film school stuff if Will is in the scene.

• Love 6
(edited)

Oh, don't get me wrong, while I love Mads and am interested in Hannibal, I adore Will, and he's the main draw of the show to me; I wouldn't watch a whole season of just Hannibal and Bedelia traipsing around Europe killing people and eating fancy, but I think I'd watch a whole season of just Will, Alana and Jack catching killers and eating fast food. So I thought I would be a little bored with this episode, and I'd find it unsatisfactory without Will, but the hour flew by and, surprisingly, I didn't even miss him.

But then again, I like the artsy stuff, the extreme esthetics of everything, but I understand that people who are more interested in plot (or really character stuff as well) would find it painstakingly slow and boring.

There's plot-driven shows and character-driven ones; we might have to create a new category just for Hannibal, style-driven.

It's just different strokes for different folks, and it strokes me juuuuuust right (and that sounded less dirty in my head).

Edited because I had written "I love Hannibal", and then proceeded to feel dirtybadwrong about it for a good while. Love is really not the right word for it.

Edited by Caelicola
  • Love 3

I wouldn't want to watch a whole season of just Bedelia and Hannibal either but if Hannibal just stood there for 60 minutes and did nothing I'd still find him fascinating. I'm also going to miss the FBI plotline, Hannibal's office with his one-on-one with Will and the whole FBI group. I know for credibility sake they had to get away from that and somehow move on but I just want to see more Hannibal/Will and an actual plotline this season and I'll be okay.

(edited)

I think I'd watch a whole season of just Will, Alana and Jack catching killers and eating fast food.

YES! Killer fast food ... Oscar Pistorius?

Oh, I did love all the camera styling and artsy shots, my BFA guarantees that I admire that. It just got in the way of the episode IMO.

I'm also going to miss the FBI plotline, Hannibal's office with his one-on-one with Will and the whole FBI group.

A big YES to this, too. Those seasons were oh, so great in every way. I'll wait to see if the dynamic is as good this year with Hannibal at odds with Will, and being out of his person suit. That suit was a pretty nifty outfit he wore for two seasons. I miss it already.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

Why was Bedelia's arm down that patient's throat? BTW, is that even physically possible? Eww!

I think she was trying to make it look like he swallowed his tongue since that's the story Hannibal eventually made it look like. I have no idea if it's actually possible, though.

• Love 1

Why was Bedelia's arm down that patient's throat? BTW, is that even physically possible? Eww!

I think it may be possible, if the person was dead already.  You would probably injure your arm somewhat, and definitely tear some tissues inside his throat/esophagus.  Not a nice thing to ponder.

• Love 2

I think she was trying to make it look like he swallowed his tongue since that's the story Hannibal eventually made it look like. I have no idea if it's actually possible, though.

I've never understood the term "swallowed one's tongue." The tongue is attached. How can it be swallowed?

I think it may be possible, if the person was dead already.  You would probably injure your arm somewhat, and definitely tear some tissues inside his throat/esophagus.  Not a nice thing to ponder.

Getting around the teeth would be pretty fraught. ::shudder::

• Love 1

I've never understood the term "swallowed one's tongue." The tongue is attached. How can it be swallowed?

I think the idea was supposed to be he bit it off and swallowed it...how Hannibal made that look plausible? No idea.

• Love 1
(edited)

Long time lurker. I love this show, but damn if that wasn't one of the most self-indulgent pretentious piles of crap I've seen on my TV in a long time.

Almost no noir tropes were spared: long shots without dialogue, B&W, slo-mo, forced perspective, oversaturated colors, 90 degree angle shots. The only thing missing was an evil twin.

Not to mention the near lack of any plot whatsoever. 5 minutes of story and 45 minutes of visual masturbation.

The rest if the season better not be like this.

Sing it! I love this show but at times I felt like I was waiting at a red light, just tapping my fingers and going "come on, hurry up".

I knew I would miss Will but I underestimated how much. Even as I find Hannibal and Bedelia facinating, they need someone to bounce off of. Some outside force that's just as smart as they are. Even Bedelia knows Hannibal would prefer Will to be there, she mentioned it at dinner.

I did appreciate the fact that Bedelia has been eating a carefully selected diet by Hannibal since she doesn't want to share his main course.

Edited by caseylane

I am excited too that Will gets to chase Hannibal overtly. There will be clues and whatnot but they both know the score now. I will be interested to see how much Will is still in sympathy/empathy with Hannibal and if he will have to be persuaded to hunt him.

• Love 1

Why was Bedelia's arm down that patient's throat? BTW, is that even physically possible?

The words "is that even possible" don't exist on this show. One can't think too much about what's possible or not, just go for the ride. Hannibal did put that ear down Will's throat, although he didn't stuff his whole arm down his esophagus to do it. LOL!

There is some reason Bedelia removed that guy's tongue in the first place. I'm guessing we'll find out in future flashbacks. Will we see Zachary again?

• Love 2
Will we see Zachary again?

Can you imagine a movie-actor doing a Hannibal cameo as just the Artistically Gory Corpse of the Week?, Me, I can't really see them lining up for the lulz, you know? I'm guessing there is more to flash back to.

• Love 2

Can you imagine a movie-actor doing a Hannibal cameo as just the Artistically Gory Corpse of the Week?, Me, I can't really see them lining up for the lulz, you know? I'm guessing there is more to flash back to.

I think that would be freaking awesome!

• Love 4

I think that would be freaking awesome!

I do too. It would be one day out of their life, make up and then just lie still. It would be a blast to spot the stars, unnamed in the credits. Sort of an inside joke for everyone.

• Love 4

I do too. It would be one day out of their life, make up and then just lie still. It would be a blast to spot the stars, unnamed in the credits. Sort of an inside joke for everyone.

Ha. Like Frasier, weirdly enough. The radio show callers were uncredited celebs.

• Love 7

Plus, it makes a show less predictable. I generally assume the known actor-of-the-week is the killer in most procedural-type shows. If I was an actor, I'd get a kick out of doing little bits on my favorite shows. Of course, some shows just can't afford someone just for a cameo, so not likely to happen much.

• Love 4

I will be interested to see how much Will is still in sympathy/empathy with Hannibal and if he will have to be persuaded to hunt him.

I doubt after season two's finale that Will's going to have *any* sympathy at all!

• Love 1

That was exactly my thought while watching this episode. I've been in since S1 Ep1 (which I've watched numerous times) so I understood the flashbacks (although the scenes with Abel I thought were superfluous and a bit gratuitious, I know how Abel's stint on this show ended). I just wish Fuller had toned it down a bit to bring new viewers in.

If I were Bedelia, I would be more direct about letting FBI know where Hannibal and I were instead of counting on a printed shopping bag viewed on a CC camera ... if that camera was even working or recording or if tapes are even kept from that CC. Heck, I'd be all, "May I borrow your phone ... PLEASE!?" on my first trip to that truffle wine shop.

While so many are fans of Mads, I watch this show for Will/Hugh. Mads is just a good actor in the Fancy Will Dancy show IMO. I'll even overlook the artsy film school stuff if Will is in the scene.

I can't imagine this show attracting any new viewers at this point, unless they're people who have binge watched the previous seasons first.

• Love 4
(edited)

I think she was curious about him and wanted to study him, IMO. Hannibal's line "Oh, Bedelia, what did you get yourself into" was great, for me, in kinda summing up how she got into this mess. She made a lot of naïve choices thinking she was in control, when she wasn't, IMO. I don't mean to say Hannibal manipulated her into finding him in her house, but once she made her choice to go with Hannibal there was no turning backsies.

BTW, I have the hardest time calling the character by her first name, it makes me think of those Amelia Bedelia stories (that I adored) of my youth. Wait...maybe the name is intentional.

Edited by DittyDotDot

Last season, Hannibal went to Bedelia's house and all the furniture was covered, she was gone. Yet he smelled her perfume.

So he went there to take a shower, thinking she was gone so safe haven.

This episode she came into her house and poured a drink, furniture all covered still.  So she wasn't gone.

Not sure why she "pretended" to be gone, yet wasn't gone, then went with Hannibal. But with both of them being doctors of the mind, there are plenty of unrevealed gambits I guess. I can't think too hard about any of it, just buckle my seatbelt for the ride.

I don't think she "pretended" to be gone...she was gone. Jack tracked her down and brought her back to the FBI for questioning. I assumed she went back home thinking Hannibal would be arrested and she didn't have to worry about him trying to kill her anymore. Of course, she probably should've guessed that Hannibal wouldn't be taken so easily.

• Love 2

I agree she was really in hiding.  She warned Jack at the time that if he thought he was closing in on Hannibal, he was in trouble.  I think she was sincere in her conversation, and afterward she was allowed to leave.

She should have left at once when she realized he was at the house.

• Love 2

Are Hannibal and Bedelia having sex? They're travelling as a couple and I can even picture them sharing a bed but them going to the next level seems a stretch. Bedelia seems asexual plus she seems like she'd freeze up if Hannibal initiated a tryst. Also I doubt that Hannibal would force himself on someone who he sensed was terrified by him.

The way I read the 'unzipping' scene after the first soiree was 'they're not, he wishes they were, she's attracted to him but not willing to go down that road.' After seeing the entire episode, I feel like she was being deliberately tantalizing there, reminding him that he can't have her in order to feel like she's retaining some control over her life.

• Love 3

I don't think they're having sex. But back in time, when Bedelia discovers a sexy naked Hannibal in her shower and she confronts him with her a gun, there was a moment when she gives him a quick appraisal as he towels off and she seems to enjoy his - uh - charms. Quick little grin.

• Love 1

Look what happened to Beverly and she proved to be a good shot a couple of times on the show.

Yeah, a guy with the reputation of Dr. Fell would have a wiki page and be googlable.

Also, I could have sworn Fell's picture was at the back of his book, the one that Dimmond pulled out when he first met Hannibal. Maybe Hannibal wants to be found. He's more reckless now.

Re: Bedelia.

My theory is that Hannibal was fascinated by Bedelia when they first met. So as per his habit, he started to influence and manipulate her. Bedelia never saw it coming and was never in control right from the start. The patient she killed had clean hands, no defensive wounds. She probably snapped (Hannibal's mindfuck at play) and straight up murdered her patient. I don't know what drove her to do something that vicious but it will all be explained later, I'm sure.

Hannibal just 'happen' to drop by her house but only after the deed was done. As the knight in shining armor, he helped cover her ass and thus sealing a permanent bond between them. Like he did with Abigail in season 1. I think Bedelia followed him because she was curious. Plus, she thought she was special and was in control.

That is, until, Dimmond told her that Hannibal was sweetening up her meat. The look of panic on her face was priceless. After that scene, they cut to her in Carmen Sandiego outfit walking around town, making sure people see her face. I'm more curious as to why she didn't pay for her groceries.

• Love 2

OK, don't mind "Style over substance" provided there is some substance. But this seemed so artsy it was in danger of disappearing up its own arse. The only character who appeared that (ironically) I wanted to see more of was Eddie Izzard, but it seems doubtful we'll be seeing more of him as he's rapidly running out of limbs. I'm frustrated by Bedelia because I'm unsure what she's doing - shoot him, screw him or slaughter with him but do something!

saber5055  Maybe he micros a snack for lunch, puts an ice pack in his little cooler to take to work with him and nukes leftovers in the office lunchroom.

A microwave!? Hannibal would serve your fingers (flambeed) for suggesting he ever uses such a thing!

Helena Dax Dimmond suspected Hannibal had killed the real doctor Fell and he was insinuating he wanted to  become Hannibal's killer buddy.

I thought he was implicitly blackmailing Hannibal (taking the role of the corrupt Italian Detective from Hannibal). Though the result was the same either way.

• Love 1

I think this episode was the first time I was ever disappointed in this show. I can't for the life of me understand why Bedelia is involved in this. It seems like they're ONLY doing it because Gillian Anderson was available.

I'm also concerned what they're going to have Hannibal do in the 6th season since they've done like half of the third book already.

On 6/5/2015 at 9:12 AM, walnutqueen said:

You lose that bet.  I find him repulsive <SNIP>

wq ducks and runs for cover  :-)

I've never understood why people think he's sexy, I think he's a dead-eyed lizard and utterly repulsive. I think his plaid suits + paisley ties are tacky and he's so damn stuck up I can't stand him. So  I'm right there with you regarding him wq.......Gillian Anderson though, yumtacular! (and yeah, Im so freekin' late to this party its sad)

• Love 1