Type keyword(s) to search

Race & Ethnicity On TV

Message added by Meredith Quill,

This is the place to discuss race and ethnicity issues related to TV shows only.

Go here for the equivalent movie discussions.

For general discussion without TV/Film context please use the Social Justice topic in Everything Else. 

• Start Topic

On 1/24/2018 at 6:27 PM, Dee said:

HBO is in dire need of a hit with Game Of Thrones ending in the next couple of years.

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and many other basic cable networks have surpassed it as producers of popular mainstream high quality content over the last decade.

HBO is working on some GoT sequels and prequels.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, jhlipton said:

This is VERY cool!

Sounds like she will be carrying much of this movie, similar to Christina Ricci in Addams Family 2.  Marsai is talented and mature enough that I think she can handle it. 

Speaking of The Addams Family, if Hollywood ever does a reboot of the series, Marsai would make a fantastic Wednesday Addams.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 7
15 minutes ago, Dee said:

Speaking of The Addams Family, if Hollywood ever does a reboot of the series, Marsai would make a fantastic Wednesday Addams.

Casting this now...
Tiffany Haddish as Morticia; Kevin Hart as Gomez; Myles Truitt as Pugsley.  Ideas for Uncle Fester and Grandmama?

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:27 PM, jhlipton said:

Casting this now...
Tiffany Haddish as Morticia; Kevin Hart as Gomez; Myles Truitt as Pugsley.  Ideas for Uncle Fester and Grandmama?

ha ha, I'm loving this.  Cicely Tyson or Diahann Carrol as grandmamma, and Forest Whitaker as Uncle Fester. I love Tiffany, tolerate Kevin, but I would go with Tika Sumpter or Regina Hall as Morticia and Idris Elba as Gomez.

• Love 6
On 1/27/2018 at 10:37 PM, JBC344 said:

ha ha, I'm loving this.  Cicely Tyson or Diahann Carrol as grandmamma, and Forest Whitaker as Uncle Fester. I love Tiffany, tolerate Kevin, but I would go with Tika Sumpter or Regina Hall as Morticia and Idris Elba as Gomez.

I'm going more by the original cartoons than any of the other incarnations, although the TV show came closest, and Addams was not displeased by it.  In the cartoons, Gomez is short and a bit dumpy.  Here's the family:

latest?cb=20100306164242

Idris is closer to Lurch than to Gomez. 

Tika Sumpter could work for Morticia, but change this white dress to black:

tiff1.jpg?w=680

and tell me that isn't Morticia!

Cicely Tyson or Diahann Carrol as Grandmama is brilliant!

• Love 1

They auditioned a few Asian actresses but “couldn’t quite find what we were looking for,” citing Diane being a “very tricky role” and a “tall order for any actress” (and it doesn’t help that he wasn’t as experienced directing actors, and pushed the auditions in directions that didn’t work for Diane.) But he also brings up how there are “fewer Asian-American actresses out there who have the experience as some of these white actresses [because] they don’t have the opportunities,” (I point out this is a vicious cycle — BoJack Horseman is now a part of it — and he agrees, saying part of his mission is to cast more people of color to help them book more roles in the future.)

I’m calling BS on this particular point because of I constantly hear that argument. But if you talk to actors of color, the sentiment is ‘We’re here. We’re talented. But we don’t get called for auditions.’ Show creators and show runners usually ultimately cast people they know. So if 99% percent of the people you know and work with are white, guess who you’re calling to help you out when you’re developing a pilot to pitch to the networks? 

I appreciate Bob-Waksber not denying or doubling-down on the whitewashing of voice actors, but he doesn’t have a valid excuse for casting a white actress to voice Diane not once, but twice. “I didn’t know I had that power.” Wah-wah-wah. White men in Hollywood are raised knowing how much power they yield, not just in the world, but in their industry specifically. 

And here’s to Aisha Tyler for continuing to voice badass Lana on Archer.  

• Love 10

They did cast one Asian actress as Diane, whom Bob-Waksberg doesn’t name, and recorded the first four episodes with her. Unfortunately, the actress then suddenly became unavailable due to another show she was signed up for. They scrambled to reach Netflix’s deadline and decided to open up auditions to white actresses, as well.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, topanga said:

Thanks. I missed that part of the article. 

No problem,  I think that he did as much as he could once he realized, "Yipes, I do have privilege and I've been abusing it."  Getting woke isn't aways easy.

• Love 1
On 1/30/2018 at 8:24 PM, topanga said:

I’m calling BS on this particular point because of I constantly hear that argument. But if you talk to actors of color, the sentiment is ‘We’re here. We’re talented. But we don’t get called for auditions.’ Show creators and show runners usually ultimately cast people they know. So if 99% percent of the people you know and work with are white, guess who you’re calling to help you out when you’re developing a pilot to pitch to the networks? 

I appreciate Bob-Waksber not denying or doubling-down on the whitewashing of voice actors, but he doesn’t have a valid excuse for casting a white actress to voice Diane not once, but twice. “I didn’t know I had that power.” Wah-wah-wah. White men in Hollywood are raised knowing how much power they yield, not just in the world, but in their industry specifically. 

And here’s to Aisha Tyler for continuing to voice badass Lana on Archer.  

Right? If a cartoon like Steven Universe, which was created by an unknown at the time, can have a diverse voice cast of many talented actors and singers from different backgrounds, then they can do it too. It's just easy for these showrunners to reach out to their friends. It's always the same circle of people, it seems like.

• Love 4
On January 24, 2018 at 6:07 PM, Sparger Springs said:

People are forgetting Monique trashed Oprah, Lee Daniels and Tyler Perry. I think Daniels was just trying to tell her the truth on how she was being perceived in Hollywood and she didn't want to hear it. Monique managed to kill her career all by herself.  Knowing your worth doesn't always mean shortchanging yourself it also means don't over estimate your worth.

I had not forgotten this.  But what always gets me is, it's always women who are perceived as being difficult.  I think about Christian Bale who cursed someone out on set, cut no one says, "don't work with him, he's difficult."   And God help a black woman if she decides to speak up.  I'm not 100% sure but I think black women get paid a lot less than white women in Hollywood. 

ETA that Christian Bale cursed that person out while he was making Terminator, which was BEFORE he won an Oscar.  So his outburst didn't cause people to say,"don't work with him, he's difficult."

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 15
On 2/1/2018 at 5:47 PM, Neurochick said:

I had not forgotten this.  But what always gets me is, it's always women who are perceived as being difficult.  I think about Christian Bale who cursed someone out on set, cut no one says, "don't work with him, he's difficult."   And God help a black woman if she decides to speak up.  I'm not 100% sure but I think black women get paid a lot less than white women in Hollywood. 

ETA that Christian Bale cursed that person out while he was making Terminator, which was BEFORE he won an Oscar.  So his outburst didn't cause people to say,"don't work with him, he's difficult."

Yep.  Miles Teller keeps getting work.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Alex Pettyfer was the only person I could think of who stopped getting work due to his bad behavior and that's only because he pissed off Channing Tatum. 

He's got two starring roles in post-production.

My wife and I watched Faith Under Fire on the Lifetime Movie network and I only have one question:

Why isn't Toni Braxton in everything????  Not only can she sing, she can act without peer.  Absolutely Amazeballs, as the kids say (do they still say that?)!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, jhlipton said:

My wife and I watched Faith Under Fire on the Lifetime Movie network and I only have one question:

Why isn't Toni Braxton in everything????  Not only can she sing, she can act without peer.  Absolutely Amazeballs, as the kids say (do they still say that?)!

Cool. Will have to check this out. 

18 hours ago, jhlipton said:

I am betting that she is turning down other offers. She seems to be limiting herself to faith based films.

Anyone see the Queer Eye reboot on Netflix yet?

There a shit ton of really progressiveness about being gay, but that's par for the course for this series based on the original show, which arguably did more to normalize being gay to the American public than perhaps any other show before or since. 

The big surprise, was that Episode 3 had a big theme, done surprisingly frankly and openly about racism and cops, because the case of the episode was a big ol' fat Southern Cop with a Make America Great Hat in his closest, and one of the new Fab 5 isn't only gay... but black. And the episode opens with the new Fab 5 being pulled over while that guy is driving. A sequence that almost certainly was set up in advance, so yeah it was a bit of manipulation, but later in the episode there is some reasonably frank talk about the subject. To be clear, not terribly deep talk in terms of content, but it just being there in the first place (and not done for comedy) was worth seeing.

• Love 6

Actually the next episode of the Queer Eye reboot (Episode 4) again hit the topic of race. The case this week was helping a gay black guy (in Georgia, like all of these episodes) come out publicly, and so there was a discussion about how it's even harder to come out in that community than most.

• Love 4

Keeping an eye on this: '‘The Greatest American Hero’: Hannah Simone Gets The Lead In ABC Reboot Pilot'

With New Girl coming to an end, series’ co-star Hannah Simone has been tapped for the title role in ABC’s single-camera comedy pilot The Greatest American Hero, from the Fresh Off the Boat duo of Rachna Fruchbom and Nahnatchka Khan. In the reimagining with a gender switch of Steven J. Cannell’s 1981 cult classic, the unlikely (super)hero at the center, played by William Katt in the original, is being reconceived as an Indian-American woman.

Written by Fruchbom, The Greatest American Hero centers around Meera (Simone), a 30-year-old woman who loves tequila and karaoke and has spent her life searching and failing to find meaning, much to the chagrin of her traditional Indian-American family. An inexplicable event occurs that will change the course of Meera’s life forever: she is entrusted with a super suit to protect the planet. Meera may have finally found purpose, but the world has never been in more unreliable hands.

If this goes to series, It will be the third(?) network show with an Indian as the lead; and the first show with a woman of color as a superhero lead.

• Love 14
On 2/12/2018 at 5:49 AM, topanga said:

Cool. Will have to check this out. 

It's a positively brilliant film.  It really makes you feel sorry for Hill, even though he threatened hundreds of lives (no one was seriously hurt during the incident, thankfully.  Hill shot at the police and may have nicked one, but that was the extent of the injuries).

7 hours ago, Trini said:

Keeping an eye on this: '‘The Greatest American Hero’: Hannah Simone Gets The Lead In ABC Reboot Pilot'

If this goes to series, It will be the third(?) network show with an Indian as the lead; and the first show with a woman of color as a superhero lead.

This

hannah-simone-miss-india-america-zoom-bd

is what passes for "woman of color" in America.  Good for her, but it just reinforces my belief that dark women can't get cast.

Although I might contend that Annalise Keating is a by damn superhero!!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, jhlipton said:

It's a positively brilliant film.  It really makes you feel sorry for Hill, even though he threatened hundreds of lives (no one was seriously hurt during the incident, thankfully.  Hill shot at the police and may have nicked one, but that was the extent of the injuries).

This

hannah-simone-miss-india-america-zoom-bd

is what passes for "woman of color" in America.  Good for her, but it just reinforces my belief that dark women can't get cast.

Although I might contend that Annalise Keating is a by damn superhero!!

I take your point but I think caution should be exercised in conflating the term "woman of color" with colorism. To my knowledge there isn't a figurative paper bag test associated with being an ethnicity or race other than White (unless we're talking about passing). However, there likely is such a test slinking under the subjective practice of giving people preference per their skin tone, particularly in Hollywood casting decisions. To be fair, colorism is a big issue within many ethnic/racial cultures and may be even more ingrained. I hesitate to criticize the casting of an Indian actress in a Hollywood production just because she's light-skinned, and still see it as a "win" for women of color.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 21
10 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I take your point but I think caution should be exercised in conflating the term "woman of color" with colorism. To my knowledge there isn't a figurative paper bag test associated with being an ethnicity or race other than White (unless we're talking about passing). However, there likely is such a test slinking under the subjective practice of giving people preference per their skin tone, particularly in Hollywood casting decisions. To be fair, colorism is a big issue within many ethnic/racial cultures and may be even more ingrained. I hesitate to criticize the casting of an Indian actress in a Hollywood production just because she's light-skinned, and still see it as a "win" for women of color.

This is a great point.  Colorism is and has always been a big issue when it comes to first-look casting decisions.  Hollywood is pre-disposed to tilt in favor of lighter skinned women of color no matter their ethnicity.  I too rail against the bias while still celebrating a woc getting a choice casting part.  The creator of this reboot is a  woman of SE Asian descent and the show is also going to be fairly centered on the main character's Indian family.  I imagine she is thrilled to be able to bring one of the first shows on a major network that will showcase an Indian family, not just a single one-off Indian character.

• Love 17

‘False Profits’: Kosha Patel & Kapil Talwalkar Cast In ABC Comedic Soap Pilot

Kosha Patel (Girlfriends’ Guide To Divorce) is set for a lead role in ABC’s False Profits, a comedic soap set in the world of cosmetics marketing from former Code Black writer-producer Kayla Alpert, Jason Reed, and ABC Studios. Also cast as a series regular is Kapil Talwalkar.

Written by Alpert, False Profits is described as Desperate Housewives meets Glengarry Glen Ross. It follows a team of down-and-out women in suburban Arizona as they fight their way to the top of the cutthroat world of a multi-level marketing cosmetics business.

Patel will play Parvun Chattoraj, a soft-spoken, whip-smart employee at the TJ Maxx, who’s much more sophisticated about computers than most people. Parvun quickly agrees to become the third Musketeer in Laura’s (not yet cast) trio of multi-level marketers. Talwalkar will portray Ramesh, who works with Ameet (not yet cast) at the Courtyard Marriott, and is in the management training program at ASU.

Edited by Dee

Black Showrunners Talk Diversity And Progress At The Paley Center

Earlier in the discussion, Simien joked that Black showrunners “are in vogue at the moment.” But kidding aside, there are strong indications that this is not just a passing thing – that a critical mass of Black creativity has been unleashed that will keep the pipeline open for the many aspiring creators waiting in the wings, and in tonight’s audience.

“We can be unapologetic now in the hiring of Black directors, writers, and editors,” Barrois said. “I’m not hiring all-White writers. You can call people on the carpet.”

Edited by Dee
  • Love 4

Speaking of Black Showrunners, I am not sure if I have seen this news posted in this thread yet.

TBS Gives Pilot Order to Lena Waithe Comedy "Twenties"

“I wrote ‘Twenties’ back in 2009,” said Waithe. “I always wanted to tell a story where a queer black woman was the protagonist and I’m so grateful to TBS for giving me a platform to tell this story. Queer black characters have been the sidekick for long enough, it’s time for us to finally take the lead.”

NBC Orders Comedy Pilot ‘Bright Futures’ From ‘Grown-ish’ Team, Kenya Barris

Titled “Bright Futures,” the project follows a group of friends all stumbling through the transition from the clueless, immature twentysomethings they are now to the successful professionals they’re destined to be.

• Love 6

Kosha Patel (Girlfriends’ Guide To Divorce) is set for a lead role in ABC’s False Profits, a comedic soap set in the world of cosmetics marketing from former Code Black writer-producer Kayla Alpert, Jason Reed, and ABC Studios. Also cast as a series regular is Kapil Talwalkar.

Written by Alpert, False Profits is described as Desperate Housewives meets Glengarry Glen Ross. It follows a team of down-and-out women in suburban Arizona as they fight their way to the top of the cutthroat world of a multi-level marketing cosmetics business.

Patel will play Parvun Chattoraj, a soft-spoken, whip-smart employee at the TJ Maxx, who’s much more sophisticated about computers than most people. Parvun quickly agrees to become the third Musketeer in Laura’s (not yet cast) trio of multi-level marketers. Talwalkar will portray Ramesh, who works with Ameet (not yet cast) at the Courtyard Marriott, and is in the management training program at ASU.

I have a feeling the earliest iterations of this concept had Latinx actors in the lead roles but then the political winds shifted hard.

‘God Friended Me’: Javicia Leslie & Suraj Sharma Cast In CBS Drama Pilot

Written by Lilien and Wynbrandt and to be directed by Siega, God Friended Me is described as a humorous, uplifting series, which explores questions of faith, existence, and science. It centers on an outspoken atheist whose life is turned upside down when he is “friended” by God on Facebook. Unwittingly, he becomes an agent of change in the lives and destinies of others around him.

Leslie will play Ali Finer. Bright, compassionate and opinionated, Miles’ (Brandon Micheal Hall) younger sister is always in his corner to provide encouragement and honest insight. She is also working on her PhD in psychology.

Sharma will portray Rakesh Sehgal. Good-natured, funny and likeable, Rakesh is Miles’ (Hall) co-worker and his best pal. A video game enthusiast, coder and sometimes hacker, he helps Miles (Hall) and Cara (not yet cast) research the God account.

‘So Close’ Casts Punam Patel; Shoniqua Shandai Joins ‘The Greatest American Hero’

Written by Friends and Will & Grace alum Greg Malins, So Close centers on hopeless romantics Riley & Kyle. At a crossroads in their separate lives, they are close to settling for the wrong partner, unaware that they live only blocks apart and might be each other’s soul mates. Malins, Sean Hayes and Todd Milliner executive produce. Patel will play Dhara, whose strict parents always push their traditional Indian values on her. She’s torn because she loves her parents and her culture but wants to live in the real world as well.

Written by Fruchbom, The Greatest American Hero reboot centers on 30-year-old Meera (Hannah Simone), who loves tequila and karaoke and has spent her life searching and failing to find meaning, much to the chagrin of her traditional Indian-American family. An inexplicable event occurs that will change the course of Meera’s life forever: She is entrusted with a super suit to protect the planet. Meera finally might have found purpose, but the world has never been in more unreliable hands. Shandai will play Tawnia Nichols, the office manager and resident gossip at the marketing agency where Meera works.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Dee said:

‘God Friended Me’: Javicia Leslie & Suraj Sharma Cast In CBS Drama Pilot

Written by Lilien and Wynbrandt and to be directed by Siega, God Friended Me is described as a humorous, uplifting series, which explores questions of faith, existence, and science. It centers on an outspoken atheist whose life is turned upside down when he is “friended” by God on Facebook. Unwittingly, he becomes an agent of change in the lives and destinies of others around him.

Both this and Living Biblically have the potential to be awesome looks at what believers and non-believers have in common.  They both also have the potential to present either (or both0 as complete stereotypes,  But that the subject for a different thread!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Dee said:

It's a lesser known part of his resume, but I wouldn't mind a joke or sketch about him playing one of the many (so many) Black characters who ended up dead on Supernatural. But then again, it's also a show that has only recently started to keep female characters alive too. If you're a White dude, the chances are pretty good that you'll stay alive. I love the show, but it's a mess on so many levels.

In other SNL news, Charles Barkley is also going to host. Umm ok. He's hosted before. I thought he was good for an athlete, but not actually good.

• Love 3

‘Magnum P.I.’: Jay Hernandez Cast As Thomas Magnum In CBS’ Reboot Pilot

The reboot follows Thomas Magnum (Hernandez), a decorated ex-Navy SEAL who, upon returning home from Afghanistan, repurposes his military skills to become a private investigator. With help from fellow vets Theodore “TC” Calvin and Orville “Rick” Wright, as well as that of disavowed former MI:6 agent Juliet Higgins, Magnum takes on the cases no one else will, helping those who have no one else to turn to.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I didn't know Supernatural was still on.  

The CW will keep that show on until Jared and Jensen are ready for Social Security.

You are not lying. Season 13 with all indications that it will be renewed for season 14.

▪▪▪

Over on RuPaul's Drag Race, we've been having some discussion about race and drag race fandom. Except for a few exceptions, fans tend to be very critical of Black queens and some of the queens seem to have internalized some of that bias as well.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/02/rupauls-drag-race-queens-see-racism-in-show-treatment-and-fan-love.html

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 1