Type keyword(s) to search

Race & Ethnicity On TV

Message added by Meredith Quill,

This is the place to discuss race and ethnicity issues related to TV shows only.

Go here for the equivalent movie discussions.

For general discussion without TV/Film context please use the Social Justice topic in Everything Else. 

• Start Topic

50 minutes ago, Trini said:

I mean, at first glance you might question the casting; but then you have Brandy, Whoopi, Whitney, and Bernadette Peters all in the same film looking fabulous, so you just go with it!

Exactly.  So you have a black queen, white king and their smokin' hot Filipino son. Heck I was 25 when this came out and didn't give it a single thought.  Even at that big age I just loved this entire production.

• Like 2
  • Love 12

The Oscars after Wonder Woman came out had a montage celebrating diversity in film. It was one that paired clips from movies with comments from various actors. I remember Kumail Nanjani was included and was shown saying: "Some of my favorite movies are movies by straight white dudes about straight white dudes. Now straight white dudes can watch movies starring me and you relate to that. It's not that hard. I've done it my whole life."

This whole Warner Brothers fiasco that Zaslav is spearheading has me thinking of Kumail's comment multiple times daily. His favoritism of reality shows and clear dislike of anything that doesn't focus on a straight, white cis male* is turning off so many current and potential customers. He's probably one of those guys who insists Black Panther and Captain Marvel each made a billion dollars only because they're in the MCU. I really hope this fiasco gets him fired but he'll probably stick around long enough to sell WB for parts before moving on to destroy another company.

*I know Ezra is non-binary but Barry Allen isn't.

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Annber03 said:

And speaking as a white and straight, but not Christian, middle American, I'm so tired of execs thinking people like me wouldn't want to see more diverse, unique programming, and that we'll all naturally want to watch more conservative stuff. I so desperately wish TV executives, and people in power in general, for that matter, would realize there's a lot more to middle America than the same old stereotypical select demographic they keep trying to court, and that there's a lot more of us than they want to think who would be interested in something different and progressive. 

To say nothing of the fact that the number of folks in the US who aren't in that demographic is rather large. Hence, if what's claimed is true, the exec are cutting off their own noses to spite others' faces since they're cheating themselves out of  large potential customer bases. Even if they only care about the deal instead of the art. they need to DEAL with the fact that having diverse programming increases the number of paying viewers instead of pretending that minorities still don't count for a minyan!

• Like 3
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

To say nothing of the fact that the number of folks in the US who aren't in that demographic is rather large. Hence, if what's claimed is true, the exec are cutting off their own noses to spite others' faces since they're cheating themselves out of  large potential customer bases. Even if they only care about the deal instead of the art. they need to DEAL with the fact that having diverse programming increases the number of paying viewers instead of pretending that minorities still don't count for a minyan!

Exactly. And that a large percentage of those that are in that demographic have friends or family that aren’t. 

I frequently see the argument that companies who focus on diversity are catering to a tenth of the population or less. I guess their bubble to so homogeneous they can’t fathom that most people are not segregated and do interact with other races. 

Of course they also complain about female representation even though women are the slight majority. 

On 8/24/2022 at 10:13 PM, Trini said:

I mean, at first glance you might question the casting; but then you have Brandy, Whoopi, Whitney, and Bernadette Peters all in the same film looking fabulous, so you just go with it!

Oh, trust and believe there were parents openly questioning (and angry) at the casting back in 1997. I know because I saw their comments. It was boohoo, my children will become confused and traumatized because how can this be? Yet apparently these same kids wouldn't bat an eye at pumpkins suddenly becoming carriages steered by fake people who were actually mice.  I mean, one would think the thought mice were walking around masquerading as humans would be terrifying. But nope. Just mixed-race families. 

R.I.P. to Whitney Houston and Natalie Desselle.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 13
10 hours ago, Dani said:

Exactly. And that a large percentage of those that are in that demographic have friends or family that aren’t. 

I frequently see the argument that companies who focus on diversity are catering to a tenth of the population or less. I guess their bubble to so homogeneous they can’t fathom that most people are not segregated and do interact with other races. 

Of course they also complain about female representation even though women are the slight majority. 

In a country of over 300 million, even 1/10 is a huge number of customers. Not to mention the millions of customers in other countries!

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

In a country of over 300 million, even 1/10 is a huge number of customers. Not to mention the millions of customers in other countries!

Well, IMO, it's not only myopic for those execs to attempt to pin everything on a mere 1/10th of the populace as a potential customer base but  a downright idiotic math fail for them not to consider that 270 million of ignored potential customers is a FAR bigger number than attempting to woo just 30 million. Not to mention that, with the exceptions of places like Iceland and Ireland, most other nations have rather diverse populations (therefore customer bases).

• Like 1
  • Love 1

most other nations have rather diverse populations (therefore customer bases)

If by diverse you mean non-white, most European countries are far, far less diverse than the US or Autralia.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Blergh said:

Well, IMO, it's not only myopic for those execs to attempt to pin everything on a mere 1/10th of the populace as a potential customer base but  a downright idiotic math fail for them not to consider that 270 million of ignored potential customers is a FAR bigger number than attempting to woo just 30 million.

It’s also myopic for execs to assume that the only people who care about representation of a specific group are the people in the group. I’m not Black or LGTBQ+ and I still care about seeing them in stories.  People I care about are in those groups and I want it for them and for myself. Diverse representation is more accurate to my life.  

Beyond that, the majority has never been ignored. I can’t think of any mainstream programing that specifically targets a minority population that doesn’t also include something for people who are in the majority. 

On 8/25/2022 at 7:51 PM, scarynikki12 said:

I remember Kumail Nanjani was included and was shown saying: "Some of my favorite movies are movies by straight white dudes about straight white dudes. Now straight white dudes can watch movies starring me and you relate to that. It's not that hard. I've done it my whole life."

This sums it up better than I could. 

This HBO Max/Discovery thing is mind-blowing in its awfulness.

Reality TV is all white people/middle America, I guess that's news to me.  I have always been able to count on Reality TV to be so much more diverse than serialized TV.  I guess they're thinking of HGTV like stuff which I agree is pretty white for the most part.  But even Food Network type reality TV is pretty diverse.  You get to hear about so many people from other countries if you watch Food Network, or a show like "Project Runway" or any fashion show.  You get to meet so many LGBTQ+ people.  Shows like The Challenge, Love Island, and even Big Brother now have large Black casts.  

Apparently some stuff was leaked that the new CEO/boss/whatever would be happy to just run "Chip and Joanna Gaines" all day.  Okay.  Well, Joanna is half-Korean, I wonder if he knows that.  Personally I really like her and I love when she shares Korean cooking and her Korean family.  I think they're Texas based, but...... pretty diverse IMO.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, Dani said:

It’s also myopic for execs to assume that the only people who care about representation of a specific group are the people in the group. I’m not Black or LGTBQ+ and I still care about seeing them in stories.  People I care about are in those groups and I want it for them and for myself. Diverse representation is more accurate to my life.  

Beyond that, the majority has never been ignored. I can’t think of any mainstream programing that specifically targets a minority population that doesn’t also include something for people who are in the majority. 

This sums it up better than I could. 

Exactly. I’m white and straight and want to see more diversity in my media. There’s never any shortage of white, straight characters, even when LGBT and POC characters take the leads. 

2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

This HBO Max/Discovery thing is mind-blowing in its awfulness.

Reality TV is all white people/middle America, I guess that's news to me.  I have always been able to count on Reality TV to be so much more diverse than serialized TV.  I guess they're thinking of HGTV like stuff which I agree is pretty white for the most part.  But even Food Network type reality TV is pretty diverse.  You get to hear about so many people from other countries if you watch Food Network, or a show like "Project Runway" or any fashion show.  You get to meet so many LGBTQ+ people if you watch those or Food Network.  Shows like The Challenge, Love Island, and even Big Brother now have large Black casts.  

Apparently some stuff was leaked that the new CEO/boss/whatever would be happy to just run "Chip and Joanna Gaines" all day.  Okay.  Well, Joanna is half-Korean, I wonder if he knows that.

He’s also dead wrong that most women prefer Discovery programming over HBO Max programming. 

• Like 2
  • Love 8
20 minutes ago, Dani said:

You're probably right........ even the white actors being in Black Panther annoyed me, LOL, but Crazy Rich Asians (I know, not a TV show) was great in not pandering to a white audience I thought.

A friend of mine is obsessed with the show "Industry" and she says that the two stars (and fan favourites) are a Black woman and an Asian man.  I've always been a fan of Ken Leung so I guess I will have to watch it at some point.

MV5BMTgzZDllYjMtM2YxZi00MjljLWJhNWUtOTM5N2VmMzVhYjA0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAyMjQ3NzQ1._V1_.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

He’s also dead wrong that most women prefer Discovery programming over HBO Max programming. 

It's such old school - VERY old school - sexist thinking!

Gossip Girl reboot, And Just Like That, Hacks, The Flight Attendant, Julia, the Friends reunion, Minx (which had endless male nudity god bless it), The Sex Lives of College Girls, 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

That Twitter thread reminded me of more shows:  Insecure, Rap Shit, Pretty Little Liars, The Other Two, The Gilded Age.  Not exactly the straight white guy demographic, LOL.  Even though I do know some straight men who love The Gilded Age, lol.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It's such old school - VERY old school - sexist thinking!

Gossip Girl reboot, And Just Like That, Hacks, The Flight Attendant, Julia, the Friends reunion, Minx (which had endless male nudity god bless it), The Sex Lives of College Girls, 

My favorites include “The Wire,” “The Deuce,” “Enlightened,” and “The Comeback.” Probably not the combination HBO’s new management would assume.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

You're probably right........ even the white actors being in Black Panther annoyed me, LOL, but Crazy Rich Asians (I know, not a TV show) was great in not pandering to a white audience I thought.

I agree that Crazy Rich Asians didn’t pander to a white audience and it exemplifies my point. It was movie with an entirely minority cast but with such universal themes that it was relatable to non-Asians. Hollywood really sells the majority short by thinking they are so shallow they can only relate if there is characters who looks like them.

One thing I just do not get with the whole shift going on with HBO-Discovery is the why the company is wording this in the ways that they are.  I don't buy for one second that they think HBOMax is for men and the channels under the Discovery umbrella are for women or that they are chasing a very specific target demographic.  What I do think they are doing is pushing cheaper fare over the expensive "prestige" shows and movies.  Reality TV is cheap to produce.  No one is becoming a millionaire on any of the Discovery shows except for the Gaines.  Even then, Chip and Joanna have probably made more on their endorsements and their shopping destination in Waco than in actual TV money.  Reality TV can be had with a bare-bones crew, there's no money being wasted on wardrobe, hair and makeup, set design, special effects, writers, directors, etc.  Reality TV also allows for a crew to film for a week or two and create enough "content" for a whole season.  Not to mention post is far easier and cheaper to accomplish. 

The ROI is far greater for the Discovery shows so that is getting the priority treatment.  And for some reason, the CEO is pushing this outdated narrative.  I get that you don't want to necessarily tell investors that you are struggling with debt and are prioritizing cheaper fare, but there has to be a better way to phrase what they are doing than this.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Hiyo said:

If by diverse you mean non-white, most European countries are far, far less diverse than the US or Autralia.

True, but apart from a loud, anti-woke crowd that likes to complain, many people will still watch those films/shows with no problems. Case in point, while I saw some comments about The Sandman being too woke, it was still a number one show on Netflix in my white, conservative country and is currently still number 2.

• Love 3
On 8/27/2022 at 1:09 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

And for some reason, the CEO is pushing this outdated narrative. 

He wants to be seen as making sound decisions based on his deep understanding on how entertainment is digested and not as the bean counter he truly is. Which is funny since, as I've repeatedly said, it's called show business for a reason. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 1
On 8/27/2022 at 7:37 PM, JustHereForFood said:

True, but apart from a loud, anti-woke crowd that likes to complain, many people will still watch those films/shows with no problems. Case in point, while I saw some comments about The Sandman being too woke, it was still a number one show on Netflix in my white, conservative country and is currently still number 2.

I'm sure Neil Gaiman will be delighted with complaints that his pride and joy is too woke. He'll probably try to make it even more woke (although that doesn't really mean anything now except, 'it has things I don't like. Such characters who aren't straight, white men') in season two.

As for the HBO thing, the guy in charge sounds like he'd be far more at home running CBS, which caters almost exclusively to "Middle America" and never asks its audience to consider challenging ideas.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 9

Imagine being that much of an asshole that you have to ruin other people's enjoyment of, or any decent promotion of, something simply because YOU don't like it, and for dumb reasons at that.

Good lord, some people really need to learn to grow the hell up. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 7
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Imagine being that much of an asshole that you have to ruin other people's enjoyment of, or any decent promotion of, something simply because YOU don't like it, and for dumb reasons at that.

Good lord, some people really need to learn to grow the hell up. 

How do randos’ Amazon reviews ruin the movie for anyone?

8 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Zero surprise, this kind of thing is expected these days, whenever there is diverse cast in genre movies/series. Just a reminder how seriously we can take reviews.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, AstridM said:

It’s never limited to just review bombing. Whenever there is a story about review bombing it is a guarantee that the actors and actresses involved are being harassed. Multiple have been driven off of social media which impacts their ability to promote their projects and to engage with their fans. Those who stick it out usually have to deal with the accounts being deactivated repeatedly due to malicious reporting. 

5 hours ago, AstridM said:

As a consumer, I find them so annoying because I do rely on consensus ratings at times to see how a piece of art is perceived.  There's some control when it comes to an aggregation of critical responses but I want to see if the general audience feels the same way.  A bunch of reviews on Amazon or Goodreads by people who never consumed the piece of art and then review bomb it takes that away.

I'd prefer the rants go to Twitter and leave the ratings for people who've actually watched.

Another reason it matters?  Reporting.  I can't remember the exact study but there once was a look at IMDb's ratings for movies featuring women and POC.  The study found that there was a statistically significant lower average for those movies compared to movies starring white men.  IIRC, they also looked at who were the ones more likely to leave negative reviews.  I can't find the study. I don't remember the details.  So I'm just throwing this out there with a grain of salt but I really think I remember it. And it may not be the case any longer.

Anyway, when people report or refer to "best movies" they may use ratings like IMDb or Rotten Tomatoes without the context.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, AstridM said:

Alongside the other reasons people shared here, it's just incredibly stupid to review-bomb/downvote/rant about something you've never even seen because...reasons. If someone really doesn't like the premise of a show or film, they can just, y'know, not watch it, like they already planned, and quit feeling this incessant need to try and mess with its stats online to make it seem as though it's less popular or liked by the fandom at large than it really is. It's not just about people simply ranting in a review here, it's also people actively trying to mess with the online numbers and ratings of shows and movies simply because they're grumpy that it's a different take on the story and need to be immature brats about it. 

And I don't know what kind of stock companies take in online statistics regarding shows and movies, but if they're looking at numbers that have been skewed instead of numbers that are an actual reflection of people's feelings about the thing in question, that could possibly have an impact, in terms of how much promotion the thing gets or whether the company wants to try making similar products in the future, or things like that. 

Plus, for fans who just want to enjoy a show or movie, it does make it harder to enjoy it when you have to deal with a bunch of whiners like this popping up in your fandom and trying to rain on everyone's parade. They're trying to act like they're speaking on behalf of the fandom at large, and they're not. 

• Like 4
  • Love 7
32 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Another reason it matters?  Reporting.  I can't remember the exact study but there once was a look at IMDb's ratings for movies featuring women and POC.  The study found that there was a statistically significant lower average for those movies compared to movies starring white men. 

That's indeed important, because this myth persists that men don't watch movies about women - despite the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media (among others, but that is the best repository of such data out there) consistently conclusively proving they do - so such films have a hard time getting greenlit.  I don't have the numbers on race in my head the same as I do on gender and am too lazy to go digging tonight, so I won't make an equally definitive statement, but I suspect the same is true -- yes, myopic studio execs, a good number of white folks do watch films about BIPOC.

Supposed viewer ratings that are actually the result of a misogynist and/or racist campaign by people who haven't even seen the films rather than genuine audience feedback perpetuate that lie, and give cover to the suits who keep limiting projects that aren't centered on straight, white, cisgender men.

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

As a consumer, I find them so annoying because I do rely on consensus ratings at times to see how a piece of art is perceived.  There's some control when it comes to an aggregation of critical responses but I want to see if the general audience feels the same way.  A bunch of reviews on Amazon or Goodreads by people who never consumed the piece of art and then review bomb it takes that away.

I'd prefer the rants go to Twitter and leave the ratings for people who've actually watched.

Another reason it matters?  Reporting.  I can't remember the exact study but there once was a look at IMDb's ratings for movies featuring women and POC.  The study found that there was a statistically significant lower average for those movies compared to movies starring white men.  IIRC, they also looked at who were the ones more likely to leave negative reviews.  I can't find the study. I don't remember the details.  So I'm just throwing this out there with a grain of salt but I really think I remember it. And it may not be the case any longer.

Anyway, when people report or refer to "best movies" they may use ratings like IMDb or Rotten Tomatoes without the context.

Eh, I guess I just rarely pay attention to Amazon reviews. So many are fake. 🤷‍♀️If I want to see a movie, I will. I may read reviews from the NYT or Ebert’s site. 

Edited by AstridM
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Sadly predictable. The worst thing about this stuff is that, because social media is basically 'monkey see, monkey do' and everyone wants attention, loads more people pile onto the hate without even having the same garbage views that the original haters did. It just amplifies the whole thing and has people desperately looking for the smallest flaws and mistakes they can find, to hoot and holler at.

I unsubbed from the LOTR memes subreddit because it went from being silly gags about potatoes and Pippin being useless to being a nonstop hate train for the Amazon show.

This has happened to so many different pieces of media over the last few years - The Wheel of Time, The Last of Us, MCU shows (with She-Hulk now perfectly lampooning the utterly predictable reactions) and now LOTR. It's just such a nasty evolution of the internet and the ability for people who revel in cruelty and bigotry to find and egg each other on.

• Sad 7
  • Applause 2

Huh. Jasmine Guy had time today, LOL!  She and Kadeem Hardison were on The Breakfast club spilling all sorts of tea about how awful the network was to them and A Different World.  She is a pistol in this interview.  I had heard some of this stuff already but I was surprised to hear an anecdote about how disrespectful production was to them and Lisa Bonet in particular in season one before Debbie Allen came along.  Loved hearing that when Debbie took over in S2, she insisted it was written into their contracts that they'd get an an opportunity to direct up to two episodes a season.  She felt that it was an opportunity for them to learn and one they would not necessarily ever have gotten anywhere else.  Worth the listen.

• Useful 13
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

Huh. Jasmine Guy had time today, LOL!  She and Kadeem Hardison were on The Breakfast club spilling all sorts of tea about how awful the network was to them and A Different World.

"Every deep show that we did [Debbie Allen] fought for.  It was a battle with the network -- them white boys did not care about date rape, apartheid, riots, HIV, okay.  They were like 'Just put Whitley and Dwayne and be funny'."

I'll have to wait until after work to come back to this, but I am all over it!  Thanks for posting.

• Like 2
  • Love 8

This was mentioned in another topic but I thought I'd mention it here as well:

I had a pretty traumatic experience my first couple of years on 'Fresh Off the Boat,' @ConstanceWu says at #TAF22. “That show was historic for Asian Americans … and I did not want to sully the reputation of the one show we had representing us. So I kept my mouth shut.”

---

It just reminded me of Candice Patton's comments about how she wanted to Leave The Flash in an early season because of mistreatment, but stayed because she knew she was a role model for many. It's just that extra pressure on minorities when it's not just about you, but 'the culture' as well.

Edited by Trini
  • Like 1
  • Sad 11
15 minutes ago, Trini said:

It just reminded me of Candice Patton's comments about how she wanted to Leave The Flash in an early season because of mistreatment, but stayed because she knew she was a role model for many. It's just that extra pressure on minorities when it's not just about you, but 'the culture' as well.

Sad but true.

Plus, there's also the obvious thing of why should she be the one to leave, or consider leaving? That wouldn't be fair. Those who are mistreating others should be the ones getting shown the door. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Tonight Taylor Hale of  Michigan became first Black woman to win Big Brother:

Her prize was $750k. She also won the America's Favorite Player $50k prize for a total of $800k.

I don't have the patience to actually watch BB, but I have been following this on twitter for the most part because the fan stuff/commentary  is more entertaining than the show, imo.  And I was rooting for her.  What a great underdog coming from the back of the pack story.  I was sure she was gonna lose very early on, but holy cow she persevered.  And she gave a great exit speech.  Good for her.

• Like 3

From a year ago, but worth mentioning here; essay at Emmy Magazine by filmaker Marta Cunningham about the struggles of being heard in Hollywood: 'I Am Not Your Negress'

excerpt:

As a filmmaker and director of diverse content, I find myself in challenging positions quite often. In interviews when I meet with producers, writers and creators of shows who saw the heinous murder of George Floyd and then felt compelled to be on the right side of history, hiring a Black woman was one way they thought they could appease their consciences. The problem with that for me is that I am not a cardboard cut-out. I am a sentient being with feelings, thoughts, needs and ideas. These ideas often conflict with majority culture, and its frequently one-dimensional concepts of Black culture, especially of Black women. But now, when I speak up, usually as the only above-the-line Black woman in the room, I find my opinion being first confronted in a hostile manner, then discounted and finally dismissed. Simply not valid. Even when the subject is about — wait for it — a Black woman character.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 3
On 2/24/2023 at 11:10 AM, Trini said:

[Why did this topic go quiet?]

Feature on Nkechi Okoro Carroll at NPR: 'Showrunner Nkechi Okoro Carroll is changing the face of Hollywood power brokers'

Not only did it go quiet, but I had to do a Where's Waldo search to find it. It's like there's some C-O-N-SPIRACY to keep this conversation buried. 

I came to see if anyone was talking about the Summer House: Martha's Vineyard debacle...it's almost like someone said "can we do a black version of Summer House, but with tons less sex and tons more virtue signaling?"