Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Smart Money's On The Skinny Bitch

Athena

Wow, the actor sure is a cutie!  Nothing bad better happen to him, his partner or the beard.  In fact, now that I'm acquainted with all the characters, at least to some extent, I hope nothing bad happens to any of them.  They all seem sympathetic in some way, which I guess is why they were "chosen."

Speaking of chosen, I was glad no Darryl H. in this episode.

• Love 2

This was my the best episode so far. The choreography & editing of the fight scenes were really good. Telenova star doesn't seem long for this world. How did Chicago Cop have a police SUV to leave the hospital and return to the station? He crashed his own vehicle chasing after Jonas. 

Telenova star doesn't seem long for this world. How did Chicago Cop have a police SUV to leave the hospital and return to the station? He crashed his own vehicle chasing after Jonas. 

I'm getting the feeling it's his boyfriend who will pay the price.

They should have shown another cop giving Will a lift back to the station. I guess they didn't want to pay an extra, or they lost the thread in the editing.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't understand how Daniella was "dating" the Telenovela star, they were photographed together, but only after she moves out, does her boyfriend notice that she is with someone else. If he was so possesive, you would think he'd notice her getting dolled up to go to a movie premiere, or see the pictures of her and the actor together.

With that being said, I enjoys the scenes with the actor, his boyfriend, and Daniella. I think if anyone dies out of the three, it will be the boyfriend.

Edited by Sobriquet

Now, this is more like it.  Loved how the mental links are coming into effect, and how the Kenyan Bus Drive used both Korean Lady's fighting skills (of course she was a kick-boxer this entire time!) and the cop's shooting ability, take out the criminals who stole his medicine.  I'm still not sure how this all exactly works, but was definitely the biggest hell yeah moment so far.  It helps that the bus driver is still one of my favorites.

I do wonder what's the deal with the business lady.  She was refusing to pick up that call from "Mr. Jeong", and apparently if she doesn't, he's going to call the authorities on her?  And then she tries to meet her dad, but can't?  Something is up with her.  Clearly, the kick-boxing history is only scratching the surface with this character.

Really like the Mexican actor, the boyfriend, and his beard.  They are so much fun and the actors have decent comedic timing. Which means, I'm sure something bad is going to happen to them, thanks to the beard's ex being brought into the mix.  Sadly, I'm thinking the boyfriend is the obvious choice.

The stuff with Nomi almost getting into horror territory.  It's just missing Nurse Rachet.  At least the surgery was put on hold, thanks to a possible assist from the girlfriend.  Go Martha Jones!

So, Jonas/Naveen Andrews did get arrested?  Hmm... figured it would take more to catch him.  Have to think something else is going on here.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

That fight scene was pretty awesome on both ends.  I was surprised when Sun's opponent bit her during that match -- I know there are not supposed to be any rules in underground fight club, but does that really happen ?

I like how Kamau Wa Ndungu was listed in the credits as 'Mr. Fuck Off'.  That would look awesome on a resumé.

The stuff with Nomi being locked in her hospital room at the request of her mother and Dr. Mengele ... er, Dr. Metzger was all kinds of creepy.  I wonder what the rush was on that brain surgery, since they said if she didn't get it she would be dead in six months -- they couldn't wait a day.  I wonder if all the Sense8s have the same brain malformations and that's how they are interconnected.  

And Amanita is a woman of her word when she said she would burn the place down to save Nomi.  Go Martha Jones indeed !!!

I like where Riley's story is going.  And I bet Kala doesn't marry her fiancee, since she doesn't really love him.

I suspect that Jonas will not remain locked up for long, regardless of what high-tech prison they toss him into.  I'm curious why DHS really wants him -- what did he do to merit that kind of attention ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

I feel like the beard woman (Daniella?) spends all her time at her computer, writing REALLY intense fanfiction. 

Loved this episode. I like all the mini stories, but I am psyched to see them come together, like when the bus driver had the cop and the kickboxer fight off those thugs. That was an awesome scene. I re-watched it twice, I loved it so much. 

Love all the actors so far, they sell the hell out of all this weirdness. The only part I`m really confused by is the little girl the cop keeps seeing. Who is that? Is it a connection, or something from his past?

This show just keeps getting better and better! 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Lito's individual story is still the most interesting to me.  A nice mix of comedy and tension.  I agree with what Sobriquet said above about it being odd that Joaquin is just now showing up to confront Lito about Daniella.  

Nomi's situation is frightening but some of her dialogue comes off as sappy to me.  

I'm assuming Sayid (Jonas) didn't mind being caught, or he's somehow deceiving the authorities.  

Great fight scene at the end.  It was cool to watch them connect in a way that's helpful, rather than confusing.  

If a part of this story is that no matter our skills, we're all useful in some way....I guess I can appreciate that.  

• Like 1

It's fairly common for agents to arrange "arm candy" for premieres. It keeps the star "in the news" by giving the gossip rags something to speculate about and gives the lesser known arm candy a higher profile. Lito told Daniela he picked her from her head shot, so she is some kind of model or actress. Daniela would have told Joaquin the absolute truth: "My agent arranged for me to be Lito Rodriguez's 'date' for a few events." With Joaquin being such a Lito fanboy, he was probably as excited as she was.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I've watched 3 episodes and I like it but it seems to be moving verrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly.  I hope they pick up the pace soon

.I got the feeling that Son's brother was embezelling from the firm, and Son was trying to protect him.

On to episode 4...

Edited by jhlipton

I've watched 3 episodes and I like it but it seems to be moving verrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly. I hope they pick up the pace soon

.I got the feeling that Son's brother was embezelling from the firm, and Son was trying to protect him.

On to episode 4...

I agree it's still slow. There are so many story lines they don't seem to get very far into most of them.

Maybe as they start to interact more it won't feel as cramped.

I have the same thought about the korean story. They had this flashback of her mother telling her to take care of her brother. Feels like it's too late to save him though if the police are about to get involved.

We watched a few to see if it pulled us in .. and we will probably continue. The Wachowskis are very hit or miss, and I still have my doubts as to whether the destination will be as satisfying as the journey.

I was slightly annoyed that the woman in San Francisco could not figure out how to get her own self out of the hospital. She was supposed to be somewhat smart and resourceful (hacker), but then became a damsel in distress. The 'inescapable' hospital room situation was also hard to believe.

I wish the individual episodes were satisfying in themselves and not only because they are part of a bigger puzzle. Right now it feels as if the real entertainment is trying to keep up with all the characters and their separate circumstances. I am enjoying the production values and the scenery which appears to actually be in different parts of the world.

I hope there will be some plausible reason these eight people are connected -- instead of "it's so cool that they are so different and from different countries". 

Is it a good sign that Sayid from 'Lost' is showing up, speaking in riddles with vague warnings and cryptic innuendos? That stuff never seems to pay off. 

...will be checking back after a few more episodes... 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 1
Is it a good sign that Sayid from 'Lost' is showing up, speaking in riddles with vague warnings and cryptic innuendos? That stuff never seems to pay off.

I'm skeptical this will pay off as well.  Also, I never understood the appeal of the Sayid character on Lost, so I wasn't excited at all to see the actor show up here.  Hope he surprises me.

I really liked that the links between the characters are spreading. Not only are they mixing up the pairings (I was afraid we would just keep seeing more of Riley/Will and Wolfgang/Kala), but we are beginning to see other links between their lives (Kala's work meeting was about counterfeit drugs and then we saw Capheus being told by Mr. Fuck You that his mom was probably feeling the side effects of taking counterfeit medication).

Loved the Sun/Will/Capheus fight scene! I totally get Capheus getting the eye of the tiger, but at the same time I was like dude, if you go after these guys then it's going to be pretty easy for them to track you down since you're driving a giant Van Damn bus.

On 6/7/2015 at 3:19 PM, Sobriquet said:

I don't understand how Daniella was "dating" the Telenovela star, they were photographed together, but only after she moves out, does her boyfriend notice that she is with someone else. If he was so possesive, you would think he'd notice her getting dolled up to go to a movie premiere, or see the pictures of her and the actor together.

When Daniela attended the movie premiere with Lito the previous night, the reporter who interviewed them mentioned that this was the second time they'd been seen in public together so they hadn't been dating for very long. Joaquin already knew that she'd slept with his best friend so my guess is that Joaquin isn't always around (possibly because of work?) which is how she was able to sleep with his best friend and go on two dates with Lito without him noticing. He said he knew she was dating someone, but he didn't know it was Lito until recently so I'm guessing the photos from the movie premiere are what led to him finding out it was Lito.

On 6/10/2015 at 10:31 PM, tennisgurl said:

The only part I`m really confused by is the little girl the cop keeps seeing. Who is that? Is it a connection, or something from his past?

Sara Patrell is the little girl asking for help who Will keeps seeing in his flashbacks when he was a little boy. In episode 2, he mentioned Sara to his dad which is what prompted his dad to tell him not to bring it up if he wanted to avoid a psych evaluation and losing his job. In this episode, he looked at her file which he kept in his safe in a red folder (I was convinced that he and Sun would end up seeing each other's paperwork). One of the articles said she disappeared. In another flashback, Sara tells Will not to look the creepy guy in the eye because that's how he got her. Then we see the creepy cutting into her head, so I'm guessing the creepy guy kidnapped her and killed her.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:44 AM, shrewd.buddha said:

I was slightly annoyed that the woman in San Francisco could not figure out how to get her own self out of the hospital. She was supposed to be somewhat smart and resourceful (hacker), but then became a damsel in distress. The 'inescapable' hospital room situation was also hard to believe.

In Nomi's defense, she was locked in her hospital room so unless she was on the first floor and had an unlocked window that she could climb out of, I don't think there were a lot of options for her to escape.

• Love 3