Type keyword(s) to search

The West Wing in the Media

LEO - Yes. We've met, ten or twelve times. I'm Leo McGarry.

MARBURY - I thought you were the butler.

LEO - He thinks I'm the butler.

BARTLET - For the first couple of weeks, so did I.

• Love 1
(edited)

He loved him some Abbie's tatas.

You mean magnificent breasts. The line only works if your hands are positioned just right.

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 2
(edited)

Broadway to honor Roger Rees by dimming their theatre marquee lights in tribute for 1 minute Wednesday night (for those who aren't aware, this is a Broadway tradition to mark the passing of the bigger names in the theatrical world). Also, the linked article--sadly--says the brief illness mentioned in his early obits was Cancer.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/broadway-honor-roger-rees-dimming-lights-wednesday-32420229

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1

What's so strange is I watched Cheers (plus re-runs) and I never made the connection but the minute I saw his face on the internet I thought "Lord Marbury" then "Lord Flibberdeygibit" then, "poor Caprice".

I am sure he would be happy to know Broadway is dimming for him.

Darius Rucker (former lead singer of Hootie And The Blowfish) wears a Notre Dame jersey and hat, and sings the Notre Dame fight song, having lost a bet to Mike Golic (a former pro football star and now a popular sports analyst on ESPN).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwXAzkw_rBE

Darius Rucker is still the lead singer of Hootie and the Blowfish. No, they haven't recorded or toured together in awhile, but toward the end of this article (which, granted, is from 2014--but that's only last year), it definitely says the band hasn't officially broken up, & that they still get together for (usually charity) gigs in their home state of South Carolina.

http://www.charlestonscene.com/article/20140219/CS/140219288

(Read the linked article starting where it says "Cracked Rear View", toward the bottom)

I guess their situation is something like that of Wilson Phillips the last however many years. They get together when the spirit moves them, but right now they're pursuing solo endeavors, enjoying their family lives, etc.

Hootie and the Blowfish do appear in SC quite often.  Hootie Homegrown weekend is upcoming on Aug. 7th and 8th.  They'll be performing at the Family Circle Stadium in Charleston on those dates next month.  It's an annual thing.

(edited)

I'm lost. What does Hootie have to do with The West Wing?

Nothing much, really. If you look about 3 posts upthread--or just above my last post--someone else posted that Darius Rucker, their lead singer (who's currently engaged in a successful solo career in country music) recently had to wear University of Notre Dame garb (a hat & shirt, if I remember the original post correctly) & sing the Notre Dame fight song, somewhere, to pay off a bet he'd made with someone (& they linked to video of Darius doing it). Just the same as CJ had to do on Air Force One (I think in The Portland Trip) after she lost a bet to President Bartlet around the time of the Notre Dame/Michigan game.

Edited by BW Manilowe

CJ was forced to sing the Notre Dame song because she made a joke about Notre Dame on the just before the game with Michigan.  

I'm amazed that my use of the word 'former' caused so much trouble. I'm hearing Leo say "We can't even post about Notre Dame without dropping the ball."  

There are numerous connections to The West Wing in a recently released made-for-TV movie.  

In Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No!, a bunch of sharks destroy the White House and take out many White House staffers and secret service agents.  In the end the heroes fly the super-secret military space shuttle into the atmosphere to confront the sharks.  

David Hasselhof, who had a cameo role as himself in 20 Hours In LA, plays the father of the main character.

Penn and Teller, who were featured in In The Room, play two buddies of David Hasselhof's character.

Al Roker, who was mentioned in In Excelsis Deo, plays himself. (Al was also in Sharknado 2: The Second One.)

Ann Coulter, who was mentioned in both 17 People and 20 Hours In LA, plays the First Lady.  (Yeah, I know. Hell no!)  

• Love 1

CJ was forced to sing the Notre Dame song because she made a joke about Notre Dame on the just before the game with Michigan.  

I'm amazed that my use of the word 'former' caused so much trouble. I'm hearing Leo say "We can't even post about Notre Dame without dropping the ball."  

Two if my favourite moments in TWW happened in that episode concerning Notre Dame. One is CJ's faux pas to the president and the presses reaction to it, the 2nd is the low key scene in which Jed admits he might well have become a priest if he hadn't met Abbey.

I was watching some decade of video tapes today and came across a recording of UK politicians gushing about TWW for E4 Uk channel showing TWW at the time) just before the events of Two Cathedrals which lead me to a newspaper piece that said "If (then Prime Minister) Tony Blair told 17 people he had a degenerative disease 10 would have called the papers and 7 would have leaked to the BBC" looking at various British political scandals of the last decade that's both true and proved blatantly untrue.  

• Love 2

In honor of Tuesday's 16th Anniversary(!) of the series' premiere, a writer (who missed *a boat load* of typos--so please ignore them if you read this) for the New York Daily News compiled a list of, in her opinion, the 10 best episodes of the show.

http://m.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/ten-best-episodes-aaron-sorkin-west-wing-article-1.2368730?cid=bitly

I am glad to see 17 People up there. It is one of the most underrated episodes of West Wing. I loved it because it highlighted the work of a very talented cast and crew. From the lightening and camera crew (how masterful they are to work with such limited resources and come up with that ambiance) the directing crew right up to the writers and actors. The lack of big dramatic moments made it a work of art. 

I am sadden by the S6&7 shutout though. There some really good episodes that should have made the list.

• Love 1

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Bradley is in a relationship with 1 of his co-stars from Transparent, & they've never even shared a scene in the show (yet).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/transparent-stars-find-love-826283?utm_source=twitter

Also, for those who might want to see Bradley in his Emmy-winning Transparent role but who don't want to have to get an Amazon Prime membership to do it, iTunes now has the 1st season eps available. Bradley is in Ep 3--Rollin'; 4--Moppa; 6--The Wilderness & 8--Best New Girl (there are 10 eps in the 1st season).

Deputy Deputy CoS: I'll have to re-read the article before I give my opinion on the chosen eps. But I'm definitely glad In Excelsis Deo & ITSOTG (which I remember off the top of my head) made the list.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1

When I saw Jeb Bush say "Stuff happens" about the horrific shootings in Oregon, I immediately went to President Bartlett's comment to challenger Ritchie after hearing his reaction to Mark Harmon being killed in a convenience store:  “In the future, if you’re wondering: ‘Crime. Boy, I don’t know,’ is when I decided to kick your ass.” —President Bartlett

• Love 9

Rob Lowe has one condition for a West Wing reunion
It rhymes with Aaron Sorkin.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/14/rob-lowe-west-wing-aaron-sorkin?hootPostID=74a026f518e75b9b99b022c1ccf0bd86

What would it take to get Rob Lowe to participate in a West Wing reunion? Just one person.

During a Reddit AMA on Tuesday to promote his new comedies, The Grinder and Moonbeam City, Lowe said he would only reprise his role of Sam Seaborn from the beloved series for executive producer Aaron Sorkin.

“If Sorkin writes it, I’m in,” Lowe wrote.

Lowe left the political powerhouse during the fourth season, which was also Sorkin’s last with the show.

“Sam was the only role I ever wanted to play, and I was told that I would have to audition for it. My thought was, ‘Great.’ When I’m given the ammo to kill in the room, I’m all about it,” Lowe told THR last year of the part.

While The West Wing went off the air in 2006, the cast has stayed in touch since, most recently reuniting for a Funny or Die video earlier this year.

This isn’t the first time Lowe has dropped Sorkin’s name in reference to another go at The West Wing. In an interview with HuffPost Live last year, Lowe said that if Sorkin were to write a reunion, he would be there “with bells on.”

• Love 3

The Atlantic Monthly celebrates the 20th anniversary of The American President, "the cinematic predecessor of The West Wing."

The other thing The American President insists on, just like The West Wing, is the moral goodness of big government itself. The film, too, has faith in the convening power of politics. ... For all its nominal concentration on the relationship between Sydney and Andy, The American President’s most climactic scenes—and its most soaring lines—are reserved for the passionate and rewarding and occasionally volatile relationship shared between Andrew Shepherd and the American public. “People want leadership, Mr. President,” the speechwriter Lewis Rothschild tells Shepherd in a heated moment, “and in the absence of genuine leadership, they’ll listen to anyone who steps up to the microphone. They want leadership. They’re so thirsty for it they’ll crawl through the desert toward a mirage, and when they discover there’s no water, they’ll drink the sand.”

• Love 2

She did, however, post about a cute "reunion" video she & a bunch of her ex-TWW co-stars did, in character, encouraging people in Michigan to elect Mary's sister, Bridget, to the Michigan State Supreme Court a few years ago (yes, Bridget won; I think she's still on the bench). The video was on YouTube; it probably still is.

The above quote is from the Season 6 thread, but I wanted to post the walk and talk video here. It's fun!

• Love 1
(edited)

You Know You Watch Too Much West Wing When: You see the linked Tweet

https://twitter.com/gregorykorte/status/673688556217454592

in your Twitter feed. And...

It talks about how President Obama had been in a tux, to attend a White House reception for this year's Kennedy Center Honorees, then he changed into a "regular" (business) suit & tie to make last night's nationally-televised speech on terrorism from the Oval Office; then, after the speech, he changed back into his tux, to attend the second half of the annual Kennedy Center Honors gala, paying tribute to this year's honorees (he missed the first half because of the speech).

And seeing the Tweet makes you think of when Sherri Wexler, that smarmy entertainment reporter who only had White House press credentials because she was supposed to be covering a White House State Dinner, snarked CJ in a live report for her station's newscast as being overly concerned with her wardrobe after she changed clothes (from a State Dinner-appropriate dress to a work-appropriate suit) when CJ unexpectedly needed to brief the press, during the State Dinner, about the deaths of 2 young American soccer players, & brothers, who were the victims of a suicide bombing while traveling overseas to play in a soccer tournament.

That was in Ep 305, On the Day Before. And, by the way, if anyone's interested the Kennedy Center Honors gala will air on CBS on December 29th.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 6

And seeing the Tweet makes you think of when Sherri Wexler, that smarmy entertainment reporter who only had White House press credentials because she was supposed to be covering a White House State Dinner, snarked CJ in a live report for her station's newscast as being overly concerned with her wardrobe after she changed clothes (from a State Dinner-appropriate dress to a work-appropriate suit) when CJ unexpectedly needed to brief the press, during the State Dinner, about the deaths of 2 young American soccer players, & brothers, who were the victims of a suicide bombing while traveling overseas to play in a soccer tournament.t

That's one of my fav episodes:  I often use the "you're stupid but you're not stupid, if you know what I'm saying" 

• Love 1

I like the Kennedy Center Honors & On the Day Before too. And I really like CJ's "You're stupid, but you're not stupid..." smackdown of that smarmy twit Wexler, followed by the whole thing where CJ brings up something about Wexler's network affiliates which is designed to embarrass her, as I remember, & whatever else she said (I think it had to do with just Wexler's station getting time with Jed, but I can't remember).

I read the Tweet at least twice before I posted. I couldn't believe TWW & the real world paralleled again--as also happened sometimes when we were on "the other site", & our WH/POTUS had to deal with a real world issue of importance on the same night as a major social function at which the First Couple's presence is requested. I just hope Josh Earnest (or whomever had duty in his place this weekend) didn't have any real-life Sherri Wexlers to deal with.

• Love 1

Thought this might be interesting to some of you!

eyebleach (ouch, my eyes hurt just typing that s/n): I was going to link to On Being.  I was interested to hear that Sheen was the reason for Bartlett's (a) faith & (b) Notre Dame degree.  Sheen continues to be one of my favourites.

• Love 2

The Third Annual Virtual Big Block of Cheese Day, will take place in the real White House this Wednesday, January 13th, 2016, starting at 10AM US Eastern Time on the following Social Media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & Tumblr.

Use #BigBlockofCheeseDay on your posts/submissions when submitting questions/posts/participating.

Here's a link to the Press Release about this year's event. It includes a TWW-related video (not of Leo explaining Big Block of Cheese Day in the ep, but involving some of the cast members from the show), & a schedule of which real life government/White House officials are participating & when they'll be available to "meet" with people through the participating Social Media platforms:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2016/01/08/big-block-cheese-day-back-again-gouda-time

• Love 2

I was just talking about that. Somebody's Going to the Emergency Room, Somebody's Going to Jail was on TV here this morning.

Cool. I know I have all the DVDs (both the individual seasons & complete series sets), but I wish it was still airing in the US/where I am, anyway. It's still more fun watching a show I like on an actual TV network or cable channel than on a DVD--though the non-broadcast extras in the DVDs are usually pretty cool, & worth the purchase price.

Could I say 1 teeny thing, trying to be helpful? The ep you mentioned is just titled Somebody's Going to Emergency, Somebody's Going to Jail. They don't use the phrase "the emergency room" in it. It's actually lyrics quoted from the Don Henley hit song New York Minute, which is played over the beginning of the episode, after the "Previously...", the current ep teaser, & the series main title sequence airs, when the ep title & the credits for the main guest stars & the behind the scenes creative staff air.

• Love 1

I loved Big Block of Cheese Day in both episodes and was actually quite impressed by (and learned a lot) from the "lunatic map makers".    Now when I look at a map I try and reorient it with north at the bottom just for a different perspective.

• Love 6

From Variety: Why The West Wing's Supreme Court Battle Trumped Political Reality

Unfortunately, these politicians are too entrenched in warfare and lack of compromise to  figure out a way to "put my mother's cats on the Supreme Court".

• Love 1