Type keyword(s) to search

The Kelly File: Duggar Interview 2015.06.03

(edited)

Smells will trigger things that we don't consciously remember. For example, if Josh was breathing heavy (gross) and smelled like Crest toothpaste, the smell of Crest will be repulsive to them later in life and they won't know why. Science has a long way to go before repressed memories are fully understood.

Totally vouch for this. I was diagnosed with PTSD following an accident with fatalities. While under hypnosis, a whole lot of other shit came up and it was triggered by a memory from childhood of the smell of dirt and dry grass. Smells have always brought up memories for me more than anything else. Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 5
(edited)

Well for once I am glad that we in the UK are so far behind in this Duggar fiasco, the interview hasn't been shown in the UK which is just as well as I think my head might have exploded.

Was there any explanation/mention of why Josh wasn't taking part in the interview?

I honestly don't think there is any hope for those girls, by the sounds of it Jessa and Jill are defending Josh, blaming the media and still toeing the party (JimBobs) line.

They, and probably all the kids, are completely under their parents thumb, if this isn't enough to make them question their lifestyle, religion or their parents nothing will.

It's a shame that neither of their husbands have taken control and said 'enough, no more of this', and distanced themselves and their wives from the family.

Jimbob and Michelle brainwashed the kids about the evils of the 'outside' world and all the time the real evil was living in the house with them.

Edited by KateUK
  • Love 2

Someone posted this excellent link somewhere on here.

This quote says it all: "JB spent the entire interview belittling the seriousness of Josh’s behavior when he would have gone apoplectic had his teenage daughters cuddled with their boyfriend."

https://homeschoolersanonymous.wordpress.com/2015/06/04/a-homeschool-alumnas-thoughts-on-megyn-kellys-interview-of-the-duggars/

For crying out loud, I keep thinking of Michelle's freak out when Jessa and Ben held hands (in prayer) the day before their engagement.

Such. Hypocrites.

• Love 5

I wish I could of been a fly on the wall after the interview was over as we all know the rest of the family and Grandmom were around the dining room table hearing the whole interview. I would of loved to hear all their thoughts about what was said.

For crying out loud, I keep thinking of Michelle's freak out when Jessa and Ben held hands (in prayer) the day before their engagement.

Such. Hypocrites.

I am remembering the times now when Jessa "challenged" Jim Bob on camera about Ben.."we'll elope!"  She had her parents by the short and curlies to get her own way with the secret.

• Love 4
(edited)

I think the Duggars have lost the vast majority of their fan base now.

I think they haven't.  Unfortunately.  And if the original TLC show is finally cancelled, I have no doubt Mr and Mrs Non-Apology will find a way to slither onto any spin-off the daughters do.    If TLC does cancel it.  A big "if."

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/03/why-tlc-probably-wont-cancel-duggars

I want every Duggar gone from TV.  They are badly damaged people who (I think) damage others.

Edited by rulesoftravel
  • Love 10

The idea of Josh preying upon his little sisters, creeping around, waiting for an opportunity to molest them is disgusting.

Doubtful of JB+M's account that he tearfully came to his parents on his own volition-he was caught and tattled on.

This Josh went to his parents to confess is utter bullshit.     If it was one time, he felt terrible and went to his parents I might believe it.  But, he molested many more times and escalated his behavior each time.  There was NO going to his parents.

• Love 10

This Josh went to his parents to confess is utter bullshit.     If it was one time, he felt terrible and went to his parents I might believe it.  But, he molested many more times and escalated his behavior each time.  There was NO going to his parents.

I really don't think it's bullshit.  These kids are trained to come and confess to their parents anytime they have even a smidgeon of a sexual thought.  If all sexual thoughts are treated equally - so seeing a woman wearing a sleevless shirt is equal to masturbating- then I can imagine that the message is also that touching another person without consent might also be received equally.  And in this case, it appears it was since allegedly Josh confessed multiple times before the molestation escalated.  

This is good reading about this confessing all to the parents.  

• Love 5

How do you go on TV and violate one of the commandments not once but several times by outright lying about how you found out about the abuse?  How do you reconcile that with your faith?  Was the police report mistaken? 

So none of the girls were aware - that goes against the police report. Jessa's lying.

We can argue about whether we think that is the TRUTH, but it actually does not contradict the police report.  With the second report being released by the sheriff, it was made clear that the person who originally told Jim Bob and Michelle what was going on was 14 years old, and that was Josh.  Knowing that, and re-reading the Springdale report again, it appears that they did tell the police that Josh had self-reported all of the incidents that they told the police about, including the laundry room one where he lifted up the girl's shirt (the parents' interview said he had reached up her dress, but her interview specifically said shirt, and she was the one who was there to know) and the book-reading incident.

The only way Jessa's statement might be considered to contradict the police report is that two incidents that we know of happened when the victims were awake (the laundry room and the one with the book).  However, neither of those victims were part of the interview, and those things had not happened by the time Jim Bob and Michelle went around and asked the girls about it.  Most of the victim interviews on the police report indicate that the girls were not really sure about the specifics of what happened and they were repeating what they thought they remembered their parents telling them in a family meeting.

I've been working on a post with page number references to show this, but I don't have it completed yet.

• Love 4

It scares me to know that the girls all think that what Josh did was just "a boy being curious about a girl". A boy that is curious would be curious with his girlfriend not his young sisters. I agree with everyone that says that it now makes a lot of sense as to why all of these restrictions were placed on the children about how to interact with siblings of the opposite sex. But it's worrisome that Jill feels that she will need to have the same restrictions with her children. It's seems like they know that what Josh did was wrong but they also feel like this is a common behaviour. I do feel bad for the girls that peope know that this happened to them (I imagine a lot of people would want to keep things like that a secret), but I wish they didn't feel the need to defend him and I wish that they'd understand how truly horrible what Josh did was.

• Love 6

Josh was a boy with raging hormones. That fundie brainwashing is coming out. So if a boy with raging hormones rapes a women he shouldn't go to jail right?

If a two year old is molested then she won't remember it, so why should her abuser be in jail?

The duggars are very uneducated and never had to face the music. I can't imagine JB as a politician. He would dodge every question the on at him with Jesus

• Love 8

We can argue about whether we think that is the TRUTH, but it actually does not contradict the police report.  With the second report being released by the sheriff, it was made clear that the person who originally told Jim Bob and Michelle what was going on was 14 years old, and that was Josh.  Knowing that, and re-reading the Springdale report again, it appears that they did tell the police that Josh had self-reported all of the incidents that they told the police about, including the laundry room one where he lifted up the girl's shirt (the parents' interview said he had reached up her dress, but her interview specifically said shirt, and she was the one who was there to know) and the book-reading incident.

The only way Jessa's statement might be considered to contradict the police report is that two incidents that we know of happened when the victims were awake (the laundry room and the one with the book).  However, neither of those victims were part of the interview, and those things had not happened by the time Jim Bob and Michelle went around and asked the girls about it.  Most of the victim interviews on the police report indicate that the girls were not really sure about the specifics of what happened and they were repeating what they thought they remembered their parents telling them in a family meeting.

I've been working on a post with page number references to show this, but I don't have it completed yet.

Thank you. I also carefully read both versions of the police report, twice, and I agree that I didn't hear any great lies in the girls' interview. It's possible that they lied back in 2006 to minimize the abuse and then re-memorized those same lies for these interviews, but I tend to believe them in general.

I guess the Duggars' brain washing is working on me too because after watching both interviews, I feel sympathetic towards them. Also, while I do believe the children have all been indoctrinated into the ATI cult, I believe Jim Bob and Michelle are also victims of Gothard and his cult. Thus, while I disagree with some of their choices in dealing with Josh, I also understand how the teachings of Gothard have twisted their minds too and heavily influenced their choices. I guess my only hope now is that they all break free of ATI.

One last thing, I do believe that this family does love each other very much, and the more the public attacks individual members, the more isolated the family will become.

• Love 1

Never having seen even a second of the Duggars show or anything associated with them, this is my first time actually hearing them speak. So here's my question: How on earth has anyone stomached listening to Michelle speak for even a second? She sounds like a simpering fool.

• Love 13

To me, I think the worst thing is that JB and Michelle have raised 18 (I'm not counting Josh here) children who think it's normal and natural to be afraid of and distrustful of anyone and everyone, INCLUDING their own family. Jill's portion of the interview made it clear that she's going to continue the family "tradition" of separating her children of different genders, limit physical contact, locks on doors, etc. She's already planning ahead for this while she has just the one so far, and he's still an infant...

So, so true. As I thought about this more today, the other extremely sad thing to me is that they've apparently raised their kids to be liars.  I know that lying and bending the truth comes easily to JB and Michelle, but I had some kind of hope it hadn't become the norm for the kids too. I know they can find bible verses to justify almost everything that they do or say, but can they point out where it's said that lying is acceptable?  And I'm not even referring to the police report. They contradicted themselves within their own interview - we were asleep and didn't even know it happened, vs. it was just over the clothes, quick, and subtle. Can't have it both ways. 

I don't want the gory details, and I wish they hadn't decided to speak out at all honestly, but if they're going to give an interview I wish they'd at least make sense. It makes me sad because I feel for the girls and I want to like them and be in their corner, but they wiped out a whole lot of my good will towards them between this interview and Jessa's prior hate-speech.

• Love 6

What. The. Hell!? I thought that JB & Michelle's interview would be bad, but this was deep-fried fuckery at its worst. Michelle & the Boob didn't just shoot the messenger; they shot it, ran over it, burned the corpse and pissed on its grave. They failed Josh, but it's the media's fault. They failed the girls, but it's the media's fault.  They're publically humiliated, but it's the media's fault. Their future's in jeopardy, but it's the media's fault. They've made a mockery of Christianity, but it's the media's fault. The Duggars may not have claimed to be "perfect," but for years they have thought/acted like they're so much better than those who are different than they are, using religion as an excuse. The claims that Josh "only" touched the victims above their clothes while they were sleeping ranks with the slut-shaming of rape survivors, the "gay panic" defense of Matthew Shepard's murder and the so-called "Twinkie defense" that Dan While used to justify his assassination of Harvey Milk among the worst defenses of crimes of all time. I'm no fan of InTouch either, but JB & Michelle's main concern should have been what Josh did, not who snitched on his for doing it. Josh had no business touching anyone that way without permission, especially his sisters. That Michelle & the Boob cried over Josh but not his victims said it all for me. If Josh had "[kept] sweet," this wouldn't be happening in the first place. Megyn Kelly did the best she could , but if the late, great Mike Wallace were still alive, he would've went for their throats, which might have made them martyrs to their fans, but anyone who can expose them for the hypocritical, sanctimonious brood mares they are is cool with me. Just like with Watergate, what made this story even bigger isn't just the crime itself; it's the cover-up. Instead of facing reality (no pun intended) and forcing Josh to do the same, JB & Michelle covered their own & Josh's sorry asses, which backfired, as it should have. Putting Josh's fate into the hands of another sex offender instead of the proper authorities is like putting a fox in charge of a henhouse. Josh needed real help to deal with his actions and a few months of manual labor doesn't even remotely begin to cut it.

Then there's Michelle & The boob's parenting skills-or rather, the extreme lack thereof. The Duggars may know how to make babies-and how!- but when it comes to raising them, they are beyond clueless.  JB & Michelle have not only made this scandal into the massive clusterfuck that it is, they have brought it on themselves and worse, their kids. As for their "victim" narrative, bullshit. They chose to have the kids, they chose to go on TV, they chose to protect Josh and to disrespect/circumvent the law, so they're not "victims" by a long shot. This interview further exposed the Duggars for the titanic turd blossoms they are, whether it was their media-bashing talking points, Michelle's thousand-yard stare or all the excuses, tears and bald-faced lies that came with them. By the way, STFU, Sarah & Bristol Palin. I care as much about your definition of pedophile as I do about the Boob's definition of rape, meaning I don't care, so y'all can have more seats than the Superdome, as far as I'm concerned.  Michelle & the Boob can claim that they came forward to save the family, but I believe that, for all intents and purposes, they're done. TLC may not have officially cancelled the show yet, but if they want to preserve the few precious strands of dignity it has left, they need to pull the plug ASAP to give the victims some chance to heal and some semblance of "normal" lives.

Add me to the love train of this post. It's perfect.

• Love 6

I know they can find bible verses to justify almost everything that they do or say, but can they point out where it's said that lying is acceptable?

Maybe they see this as the same as Moses' mother hiding him in the bulrushes or Rebekah tricking Isaac into giving her favorite son, Jacob his birthright.

• Love 4
(edited)

Thank you. I also carefully read both versions of the police report, twice, and I agree that I didn't hear any great lies in the girls' interview. It's possible that they lied back in 2006 to minimize the abuse and then re-memorized those same lies for these interviews, but I tend to believe them in general.

I guess the Duggars' brain washing is working on me too because after watching both interviews, I feel sympathetic towards them. Also, while I do believe the children have all been indoctrinated into the ATI cult, I believe Jim Bob and Michelle are also victims of Gothard and his cult. Thus, while I disagree with some of their choices in dealing with Josh, I also understand how the teachings of Gothard have twisted their minds too and heavily influenced their choices. I guess my only hope now is that they all break free of ATI.

One last thing, I do believe that this family does love each other very much, and the more the public attacks individual members, the more isolated the family will become.

As someone who grew up in another highly controlling family, I would just say that, yeah, many of them do probably "love each other very much." But that "love" is the kind of "love" you get in highly controlling situations. i.e., it's not like what I would call the ideal definition of love or like any love that I'd want to perpetrate on other human beings, now that I've gotten out of the situation and know for sure that there are other ways for people to treat each other.

As a child in such a family, someone is only "loved" to the degree that they can be looked on as an appendage of their parents -- and a useful and ego-building appendage, in addition. Respect and nurture a kid's individuality as an individual who might be different from her parents -- which, to me, is part of the definition of love? Nope. Not in this situation.

And from the kids' direction towards the parents? The parents have portrayed themselves as the only safe haven for these kids in a horrifying sea of evil people who are taking the world quickly to hell and would love to take the Duggar children with them. So, yeah, the kids "love" their parents -- to the extent that love means clinging to the people that you imagine are your only salvation against numerous horrifying fates. But, again, if you define love as truly caring about another individual and that person's individuality. I doubt the kids feel much of this toward their parents. They're grateful to be saved, and they look up to their parents, because they've been told and told again -- perhaps with blanket training -- that their parents' perceptions and will must be their perceptions and will or else they'll lose everything. But is that a love that makes you love someone back as an individual? Not likely, in my opinion.

So, yeah, all this is love, after a fashion. Certainly many families "love" in this way. But I'd say that, while it's the only love these dimwitted, egocentric parents appear to be capable of -- at least for the most part -- the whole thing is a lot more like codependency and enmeshment than anything a mature person would call actual "love."

Sorry if it's not kosher to speculate about the nature of love at the Duggar house, but I needed to get that off my chest. I'll shut up about it now (I hope.).

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 17

Never having seen even a second of the Duggars show or anything associated with them, this is my first time actually hearing them speak. So here's my question: How on earth has anyone stomached listening to Michelle speak for even a second? She sounds like a simpering fool.

Preaching to the choir, friend - and welcome. Now you're one of us... :>)

• Love 9

Moi aussi. Never watched a second of the show, and could only stomach five minutes of this interview, because of that annoying baby voice. And those mannerisms? ugh. Never mind the utter tripe of content coming out...all in that very annoying voice. How did y'all watch this for years?

• Love 6

What I noticed in the interview was that, whenever JimBob talked about Josh confessing, he said "Josh came to us on his own", thereby contradicting what it said in the police report about one of the girls telling the parents.  He's going to make the little perv sound good no matter how much he has to twist the story, isn't he?   

• Love 9

Jim Bob and Michelle turnabout is fair play. It is fair for one to suffer whatever one has caused others to suffer. So, you don't like being made fun of! Well, turnabout is fair play.

like Mathew 26:52 

"Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword."

you'd think the Duggar's would know this one? 

• Love 4

Wtf was with Michelle's attire? She looked high as hell. Whoever did her hair and makeup needs to have a hair and makeup lesson. Her voice... goodness

She seemed completely high, as if she needed a mother's little helper to get through the ordeal. Again, never having seen the show, I don't know if that is her normal MO or if the stress of this situation drove her to medicate. Or just act medicated.

• Love 1
(edited)
Again, never having seen the show, I don't know if that is her normal MO or if the stress of this situation drove her to medicate. Or just act medicated.

She has always looked and acted like she's taken one Quaalude for every kid.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 13

I love this article about the Duggars and their body language during the interview.  According to this, the Duggars were lying and in denial

https://drlilliangla...g-sons-records/

She has a neat perspective and interesting observations (loved Jim Bob subconsciously protecting his junk.) And boy, she hates Michelle's voice almost as much as I do.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm not sure I buy her analysis whole. Yes, Michelle's posture was self-protective, but she's about to go on TV to discuss a family issue that's put the future of two generations of her family in question, and she's going to be speaking to an audience larger and significantly less friendly than her usual audience (and being asked personal questions by a woman who works outside the home wearing tight pants. Imagine how a woman who believes in defrauding would react to someone wearing those pants asking her husband about sex). Jim Bob's authority is being questioned in a situation he has limited control over, something he's spent years organizing his world to avoid. And of course they're posing for the camera, for crying out loud, they've been on reality TV for a million years. Are there people left who think any of that isn't staged?

I think they were at least strongly shading the truth, myself, but I don't think any of that is really evidence. 

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Wtf was with Michelle's attire? She looked high as hell. Whoever did her hair and makeup needs to have a hair and makeup lesson. Her voice... goodness

Goodness had nothing to do with it. ;-)

• Love 6

And of course they're posing for the camera, for crying out loud, they've been on reality TV for a million years. Are there people left who think any of that isn't staged?

One thing that I've been curious about is choice of the location and the seating for the interview.  With all the comfortable chairs and couches in that home, the three of them were perched on high, backless stools.  There surely was a very deliberate reason for that, so the question is "Why?"  And while this may seem like an insignificant detail, I think it was very carefully planned. 

• Love 4

One thing that I've been curious about is choice of the location and the seating for the interview.  With all the comfortable chairs and couches in that home, the three of them were perched on high, backless stools.  There surely was a very deliberate reason for that, so the question is "Why?"  And while this may seem like an insignificant detail, I think it was very carefully planned. 

Interesting thought. ... I'd guess that they didn't want anybody to look comfortable. They wanted to portray them as vulnerable, so they isolated each on a high chair where their positions would subliminally read as kind of isolated and precarious?

• Love 5

I don't think the Duggars have any armchairs in that house, just 8 seater corner sofas. They looked more normal and it seemed more genuine and intimate to show the, sitting on stools with a kitchen bench and fridge behind them, than sitting on the giant sofas in the middle of a gargantuan room.