Type keyword(s) to search

Show Analysis: Dr Huang Will See You Now

• Start Topic

I've made it no secret I am very disappointed with S16. The constant focus on Olivia (don't mind the character but the writing for her this season, Benoah being most boring) and rotating out the squad/cast (losing continuity with it) two major factors. My biggest complaint though is completely disregarding Amanda's rape. I take personal offense to that. I can't understand why they wrote it in if they weren't going to even acknowledge it. They wouldn't have to have made her a rape victim if they knew they weren't going to go anywhere with it. It was in character for Amanda to skip therapy but they should've showed us that she at least struggled with being forced to come clean about it. For someone who never before had put it in to words that she was actually raped, that must've been traumatizing and nothing 2 weeks at a retreat would heal. And I find it ridiculous that the writers can't even answer to the critique coming their way but instead they block the posters on Twitter that try to get answers.

Both Rollins & Amaro were the creation of Warren Leight. I adore him for it but can't understand how he miss use them so much. He only seem to care about Benson and that's not even his creation.

I will continue to hope it was a mutual decision to let DP/Amaro go but for WL to say they had written him in to a corner, and that he went out like a hero? Hell no. He went out a crippled man w failed relationships & no career. Nothing heroic about that.

So all an all not a great season. Was Fin even present & in a pre-S17 article WL even forgot to mention him. W/o DP I find it hard to see I'll be able to enjoy this show again. And if they start on Liv's love life from get-go this viewer is no more.

Bingo. It's like he's obsessed with her character wise.

It's been mentioned before, but I got to add the episode "Closet" is absolutely frustrating once again. Why? Because the only thing the accused (who got convicted!) did was have sex with his husband. Elliot literally says Lincoln Haver's DNA is allover the victims body. It was established early on in the episode that Lincoln was in a consensual relationship with the victim.

The detectives didn't even bother to compare time of death with Lincoln's whereabouts on the night on the murder. I know law enforcement usually looks at the next kin/significant other in these kinds of cases. But I can't believe a spur of the moment crime would heavily implicate Lincoln Haver. And I can't believe a modern jury in NYC would convict on that kind of evidence alone and possible bias alone. It just shows the SVU crew is all about conviction rates, not justice.

Also, the homophobic supermodel beard Lincoln was dating. Da fuq? I know supermodels are people with all kinds of bias, but I can't believe one would be so virulent, even if they were an big ol' asshole.

Also, the episode is even more proof that Benson doesn't deserve her shield. Just eyerollingly stupid about professional athletes and homosexuality.

Don't know why I watch this show sometimes. Every thing about it ticks me off.

(edited)

Bingo. It's like he's obsessed with her character wise.

Obsessed with torturing her, if you ask me. It's like he gets this perverse joy out of making her go through agony and angst, and the hell with the other characters, who are just there to serve Olivia.

I've been watching some of the 2.0 episodes on USA today, and it makes me so sad to know that this group is now broken up because of Leight's ego and obsessions. It'll make me sad not to be watching it next season, but I'm so unreasonably angry about what he and his merry band of hacks did with Amaro's character and how they shorted the other characters that I'm just done with it. 

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 2
Obsessed with torturing her, if you ask me

Yeah. But - and I do agree with Olivia being beyond played out and overexposed - I don't think it is just about torturing Olivia, but women characters in general where Leight is concerned, and it's...disturbing. He also had Rollins victimized and, once he took over on L&O: CI in S6, he promptly had Alex Eames kidnapped and tortured in the premiere, no doubt to herald his arrival and Rene Balcer's exit. Sigh. At least Eames escaped all on her own, so it's something?

But put them all together, and it seems like Leight has issues with female characters and it icks me out. Unfortunately, in the case of SVU, it probably does mostly fall on Olivia since she is now the sole lead.

• Love 5

I don't think it is just about torturing Olivia, but women characters in general where Leight is concerned, and it's...disturbing. He also had Rollins victimized and, once he took over on L&O: CI in S6, he promptly had Alex Eames kidnapped and tortured in the premiere, no doubt to herald his arrival and Rene Balcer's exit. Sigh. At least Eames escaped all on her own, so it's something?

Wow...it just occurred to me how true this is.  :-(

• Love 1

"Juvenile" was full of frustrating moments, yet also interesting because it opened up many topics for debate.  While I know part of it was his own fault, I felt terrible for poor Jeremy and, despite what Huang said, knew that he was remorseful over what that sociopath, Zachary, did to Ms. Oestricher.  Yes, he made a choice, but I really felt like Zachary had too much control over Jeremy and thus gave him little choice.  Nevertheless, Alex, Donnelly, and Jeremy's attorney were all right that he was undoubtedly going to get a jury that would find him guilty.

Which leads me to the most frustrating part.  His mother's adamant desperation to believe that Jeremy would be seen as the good boy even though everything revealed during the trial showed that he was indeed going to get convicted, which led to her turning down probably the sweetest deal they could've hoped for -- five to ten years, out in five with good behavior -- and being all-too-willing to risk a life sentence just because she was so certain the jury didn't see him as the bad one.  Hey, lady!  Doesn't your son get a say in this?  Jeremy looked like he wanted to take the deal!

And then, of course, the jury does indeed find Jeremy guilty, and his mother wails in horror, even though everyone involved tried to warn her.  And to really twist the knife, the jury gets polled to reveal that every last one found him guilty.

So yeah.  That's my latest frustrating moment.  Or set of moments.

• Love 5

"Juvenile" was full of frustrating moments, yet also interesting because it opened up many topics for debate.  While I know part of it was his own fault, I felt terrible for poor Jeremy and, despite what Huang said, knew that he was remorseful over what that sociopath, Zachary, did to Ms. Oestricher.  Yes, he made a choice, but I really felt like Zachary had too much control over Jeremy and thus gave him little choice.  Nevertheless, Alex, Donnelly, and Jeremy's attorney were all right that he was undoubtedly going to get a jury that would find him guilty.

Which leads me to the most frustrating part.  His mother's adamant desperation to believe that Jeremy would be seen as the good boy even though everything revealed during the trial showed that he was indeed going to get convicted, which led to her turning down probably the sweetest deal they could've hoped for -- five to ten years, out in five with good behavior -- and being all-too-willing to risk a life sentence just because she was so certain the jury didn't see him as the bad one.  Hey, lady!  Doesn't your son get a say in this?  Jeremy looked like he wanted to take the deal!

And then, of course, the jury does indeed find Jeremy guilty, and his mother wails in horror, even though everyone involved tried to warn her.  And to really twist the knife, the jury gets polled to reveal that every last one found him guilty.

So yeah.  That's my latest frustrating moment.  Or set of moments.

Oh God yeah.  That woman was a moron.  And that's saying a lot considering how many stupid mothers (or characters in general) have come on this show.

• Love 1

Delurking with one of my favorite SVU episodes, "Undercover," when Liv posed as an inmate of a women's prison to find the guard who raped/murdered an inmate and raped her daughter. MH's Emmy nomination that year was justified for that episode alone. It made me laugh (when Munch was innocently explaining to the other detectives why no one would believe the mother's story because in some peoples' minds she was just a "crack ho" & the inmate's daughter interrupted with "Don't call my mama a 'ho!"), it made me cry (when the mother got killed and the daughter got sick with TB), it made me cringe (when Liv was almost raped by the guard) and it made me cheer when the guard got busted and Liv asked him, "Who's the 'bitch' now?"

I loved the warden's disgusted reaction, as well, just as he was getting busted: "Get him out of my prison."

• Love 5

So I just watched Valentine's Day. I think that's the title. Anyway, it's the one where Chole Sevengy guest stars as a rich housewife who is raped and held for ransome, but then it turns out she was behind the whole thing *TWIST*. So the frustrating part? Why? Did the ever explaine why she did this? The show sort of implies she's just generally freaky (you know as SUV thinks anyone with sexual taste beyond missionary is a dangerous predator). I could almost buy that except for the ransom. Why would she need the money? And it's an awfully elaborate plan just because he husband was coming home early. Did anyone catch any motive in that one?

• Love 2

I was frustrated with how completely stoooooooopid Rita Wilson was as the idiot mother in "Delinquent". It wasn't just the blantant denial that her son was a rapist and a murderer, I expected that. But when she revealed at the end that he had been molested by his babysitter when he was a little boy, and as it just so happened, she never went to the cops because she didn't want to "embarrass" him; she just closed her eyes and assumed the therapy would help him get over it.

I wanted to STRANGLE her! That kind of stupidity is just....I have no words. I hope every single on of his victims sued her into the poorhouse.

• Love 1

So I just watched Valentine's Day. I think that's the title. Anyway, it's the one where Chole Sevengy guest stars as a rich housewife who is raped and held for ransome, but then it turns out she was behind the whole thing *TWIST*. So the frustrating part? Why? Did the ever explaine why she did this? The show sort of implies she's just generally freaky (you know as SUV thinks anyone with sexual taste beyond missionary is a dangerous predator). I could almost buy that except for the ransom. Why would she need the money? And it's an awfully elaborate plan just because he husband was coming home early. Did anyone catch any motive in that one?

I think the vague reason they sort of gave was that she was trying to hide her excessive cheating.  Even though that also became apparent later on.  But whatever the case, I can't feel too bad for her husband since he was pretty willing to dismiss and ignore it all and still forgive her and take her back.

Season thirteen had some pretty strong episodes -- perhaps the strongest episodes of SVU's "new age" -- but that was probably one of the weaker ones.  But oh, well.  I still liked season thirteen quite a bit.

• Love 3

I'm watching "Bang" right now and everything about it is frustrating. For me it's a tie between the constant use of the term "reproductive abuser," Lori Singer's utterly horrific acting or the utter waste of one of my favorite NYC soap actresses (Noelle Beck). I think this might be tied with "Wildlife" for worst SVU episode. (Is there a thread for that?)

• Love 1
(edited)

I love the moment in "Charisma" when Olivia confronts the cult mother with evidence that Abraham killed her husband and lied to her that he ran off with another woman. After spending most of the episode having to endure that brainwashed idiot's yammering, it was oh so sweet seeing her dawning horror that not only was her husband murdered, she'd also been HAVING SEX with the killer.

I don't normally like watching people cry, but to quote Nelson Muntz: HA HA.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 5

Season Nine's "Paternity" is on USA right now. I always forget this one as being one of the tent poles of the terrible era. Benson and Stabler's wife in a car accident and Benson has to deliver Stabler's baby in the jacked-out car because of course she does.

692.gif

I just watch Paternity. Lord what a shit show. I salute your eye-roll to that one.

Why did the ME tell Benson and Stabler the father wasn't the father in the first place? I don't remeber it having anything to do with the crime (which was? Dead Mormon nanny? By a stranger? While the wife had an affair, but the affair didn't really have anything to do with it? I think? Aw fuck it, I don't really care), they weren't worried about a kidnapping that I remember. So a busy ME walks over to tell Benson and Stabler about it because she's never heard of adoption or sperm donors or step-parents going by dad or people having affairs. It's hysterical they way everybody goes all "Whaaaaaat! An untraditional family in Manhatten? A boy happily bonding with a father who isn't his birth father? I never! Now that's a Special Victim if I ever saw one!"

I hated the mom in that episode. Not only did she ditch her son to cheat on her husband, she was also going to take her son away from the man he knew and loved as his father, and if she had it her way, he wouldn't even get to see him again. So I didn't feel too bad when the husband went crazy and killed her. My sympathy was solely for the child.

I hated the mom in that episode. Not only did she ditch her son to cheat on her husband, she was also going to take her son away from the man he knew and loved as his father, and if she had it her way, he wouldn't even get to see him again. So I didn't feel too bad when the husband went crazy and killed her. My sympathy was solely for the child.

My sympathy is, was, and always will be with whatever poor PBA lawyer has to keep explaining civil lawsuits to this squad.

• Love 1

I'm watching "Bang" right now and everything about it is frustrating. For me it's a tie between the constant use of the term "reproductive abuser," Lori Singer's utterly horrific acting or the utter waste of one of my favorite NYC soap actresses (Noelle Beck). I think this might be tied with "Wildlife" for worst SVU episode. (Is there a thread for that?)

Bwahahaha! Oh that episode is so delightfully bad. Even the cast looked pretty disgusted with that one. Don't even play the Reproductive Abuser drinking game. You'll be in a blackout before the show ends.

• Love 1

I love the moment in "Streetwise" when Olivia and Eliot get the poor starving little girl to betray her Manson street family by basically bribing her with pizza and ice cream. It was a cute, funny scene.

Of course it's kind of ruined by the fact that the poor girl is horribly murdered later in the episode :(

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 6

Let's face it, on this show there are victims you feel sorry for and some you don't. The whole franchise in general have had episodes with unsympathetic victims. So I thought to start a thread for all the unsympathetic victims we've seen on SVU.

I'll start: I did not feel sorry for Katie's mother in "Savant", the one that had an affair with her friend's husband all so that she could have a "normal" baby. Sure, her husband was a jerk, but it's still not an excuse to mess up two families. Also, a "normal" baby?! What a shitty way to dismiss your own daughter's disability. And the way she just dismissed her lover's son right before he attacked her...not justifying what he did, but couldn't she didn't have the decency to be sensitive to the boy whose family she was messing up?

So even though it was a messed up thing for her husband to take Katie and abandon her in the hospital when she was brain damaged, I couldn't really summon any sympathy for her. I just felt sorry for Katie.

• Love 5

There's probably a few, but the one that popped into my head immediately when seeing this thread is Rooney Mara's character in Fat.  I mean, she probably didn't deserve to get her finger cut off, but DAMN was she an unsympathetic, whiny bitch.  I won't lie, I laughed when they dramatically whipped out her photos from fat camp.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 6

I actually think Lunar is worse than both of those, because at least Bang involves someone being killed with an exploding shark knife, and Wildlife involves the ship for the ages: Monkagen (aka, Cragen and the monkey).

• Love 3

You know what I never understood, even thought it gave us that Monkagen moment? Why the animal smugglers didn't kill the monkey and just ship the bones if that's all they wanted. Why go to the trouble of shipping the monkey alive if you're just going to kill it, and make the bones into silverware.

• Love 1

The abused singer in "Funny Valentine" was definitely unsympathetic. Her abusive boyfriend MURDERED her manager that went out of his way to protect her, and she covered for him so that she could keep her fairy-tale-from-hell romance. Battered woman's syndrome or not, that's just low.

I wouldn't say she deserved to get killed by her boyfriend at the end. On the other hand, she rejected the SVU team every time they tried to help, so what do you expect?

• Love 7

Any woman who takes back her abuser and is promptly killed afterwards gets no sympathy from me.  The woman who was with Nathaniel Marston's character in "Persona" is one of them.  She was ready to drop him, but then inexplicably took him back.  Olivia hid out in their house just to keep an eye on things, but by the time she heard something going on and tried to get out of the basement in which she was hiding, the woman was indeed dying after getting stabbed by her man almost halfway through the episode.

And let's try the battered wife in "Asunder."  Lady, your husband's been hurting you repeatedly, and you still want him to get off?  He may have gotten off, but I easily saw more abuse coming her way after he did.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 10

Hate to say it, but you can't cure stupid...

Speaking of stupid, how about the crazy bimbo mistress in "Vanity's Bonfire"? The one that kidnapped her daughter from her nice adopted parents and was harassing her boyfriend's terminally ill wife? Oh, and the fact that she had the gall to share their homemade sex tape to his teenage daughter?! After all the horrible things she did, she deserved to have her brains bashed out by that poor girl.

• Love 7

Hate to say it, but you can't cure stupid...

Speaking of stupid, how about the crazy bimbo mistress in "Vanity's Bonfire"? The one that kidnapped her daughter from her nice adopted parents and was harassing her boyfriend's terminally ill wife? Oh, and the fact that she had the gall to share their homemade sex tape to his teenage daughter?! After all the horrible things she did, she deserved to have her brains bashed out by that poor girl.

How have I not seen this episode??  This sounds terrible/amazing, and I must watch it immediately.

• Love 2

The end of "Vanity's Bonfire" where the dying mother takes the wrap for her daughter killing her husband's crazy mistress and Benson and Amaro go along with it always frustrates because it was so unnecessary. Liv was right: a jury probably would have been understanding. I mean, who would YOU feel sorry for: a teenage girl dealing with the fact that her father cheated on her dying mother, or a crazy selfish bimbo who not only had NO QUALMS WHATSOEVER about having sex with a married man, but also harassing his TERMINALLY ILL WIFE --- and even had the nerve to show his daughter their homemade sex tape?!

Any defense attorney could have easily made a case for not guilty by reason of temporary insanity. The DA might have even been persuaded for a deal.

But as we all know, logic parted ways with this show a loooooooong time ago.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3

Sarah, the piano student in "Missing Pieces."  If not for her several instances of dishonesty, they might've nailed her perp.  Instead, he got off scot-free for a crime he very clearly committed, because we, the audience, outright saw him commit it.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 2

@Spartan Girl had a good idea in starting the thread for the terrible parents, and they did deserve mention in that thread.

But what about the great parents, the good parents, the decent parents, and the mostly okay parents who had the misfortune of having absolute shits for sons, daughters, stepsons, stepdaughters, or, to be generous, grandsons or granddaughters, despite looking like they hadn't done anything overly wrong in raising them (or had, but didn't realize it)?  What about the child-rearing characters who were probably left thinking, sometimes rightly, sometimes wrongly, Where did we go wrong?

I'll start with the title quote's case.  It's said by the mother of the selfish, bratty douchebag in "Escape," who wrongly -- and knowingly -- accused his stepfather of molesting him and got him sent to prison for ten years just because he didn't want his mother to know he'd fooled around in bed with his cousin, and who also wanted to keep his mother from starting a family with his stepfather (even though she had no intention of abandoning her son), who turned out to be a damn decent guy who was put in a bad situation.  Damn, that boy had serious Oedipal issues.

And then, while I liked the actress, Anne Gillette from "Shadow."  Killed both of her parents just for their money and tried to blame it on the Indian guy whom she knew was shadowing her.  That was some crazy shit she pulled to make sure she remained in the clear.  Luckily, Fin's trap tripped her up at the end.

And finally, the two little girls from "Lost Traveler."  Actually, just the blonde girl.  The brunette girl at least was remorseful for killing the poor little Muslim boy and actually barely touched him, from what was described.  But I felt for the parents when they had the slow realization that their other daughter had, at some point, become an unrepetent sociopath.

I know many more, but I don't wanna take them all at the moment.  For now, I'd love to see what all of you have to offer.:)

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 8

Awesome idea for a thread!

The kids from "Born Psychopath" and "Juvenile" (the kid that actually did the killing, not the slightly older kid that was with him that wound up getting the book thrown at him because of his age) definitely belong on this list. So does the little bastard from "Delinquent": I don't care if he was molested and his mother was a moron, it's no excuse.

• Love 11

Sarah, the piano student in "Missing Pieces." If not for her several instances of dishonesty, they might've nailed her perp. Instead, he got off scot-free for a crime he very clearly committed, because we, the audience, outright saw him commit.

I see your point, but even if she had been honest about the fact she had been having sex with several boys from the beginning, the defense still would have painted her as a slut and the guy might have walked anyway.

I'm watching "Families" on USA, and I'd like to add murder victim Jason Connor. He has an affair that results in his son sleeping with his half-sister and said sister's accidental death. And how does he handle the situation? He decides to run away to Cuba with his mistress and leave his wife and son to deal with the fallout of the affair. And as a bonus fuck-you, he lets his mistress steal his wife's jewelry.

If I had been his wife, I would have shot him too.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 9

I see your point, but even if she had been honest about the fact she had been having sex with several boys from the beginning, the defense still would have painted her as a slut and the guy might have walked anyway.

Perhaps.  Perhaps not.  But she still might've at least had a better shot if it'd all been out in the open from jump.  Nothing for the defense to surprise the detectives with later, so they'd be ready to field it in court.

• Love 2

The boy in "Learning Curve" who falsely accuses two of his teachers of molesting him, resulting in his father beating up one of the teachers, before his real abuser, his female teacher, is exposed. I don't care if she put him up to framing the two innocent teachers, he still ruined their lives.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 6

The boy in "Learning Curve" who falsely accuses two of his teachers of molesting him, resulting in his father beating up one of the, before his real abuser, his female teacher is exposed. I don't care of she put him up to framing the two innocent teachers, he still ruined their lives.

While we're at that, the teacher in question became a victim herself at the end.  I ended up not feeling very sorry for her, either.  Especially after hearing the boy's story of how things went down leading up to her death.  Not to mention she'd played a big part in the other teachers' lives being ruined.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 5

The end of "Honor" was confusing, depressing, and frusrating. The diplomat/ambassador that ordered his son to kill his daughter escapes, but not before killing his wife, who testified against him. Even if she refused the protection they offered her, shouldn't they have kept an eye on him anyway, or even arrested him before the trial was over?

It's also frustrating that the wife refused protection, but I get why she did: with her daughter dead and her son going to jail, she probably felt like she had nothing to stay alive for. But still, I hated that the guy walked.

I know we're all still trying to put the whole Lewis saga behind us, but can anyone who gets the latest season on DVD let us know if there was a deleted scene that at least showed some reaction of his stupid bitch lawyer that Lauren Ambrose played reacting to what he did to her parents?  Thanks.

Got a season number. My DVD's are up to date.

Oh dear. I've reached the Stuckey episodes.  It almost made me sit in a corner in a fetal position rocking and whispering "Bing, bang, bong."

Rest in peace, O'Halloran.

It took me a whole season to recognize Stucky on "Shameless." I mean Mickey is barely above legal on the show.

The woman in "Burned" that lied about her ex raping her just so that she could get custody for the child was definitely unsympathetic. Not saying it was right for her ex to throw lighter fluid on her, but if you'll pardon the pun, if you play with fire...

• Love 11

"Dissonant Voices" will always be frustrating for the fact that only Rollins was the one that took a cautioned, reasonable approach to the case and had a feeling that the music teacher was innocent. The others -- especially Olivia -- just mowed on ahead.

At the end when Olivia bemoaned how the kids didn't sound coached, I screamed "YES THEY DID!" at my TV. Little kids don't use words like "inappropriate" and "uncomfortable' unless they've been coached. Had Huang been there, he would have figured it out in five seconds, and maybe if Olivia hadn't still been suffering from Post Lewis Stress, she would have realized it to. But it was obvious from the beginning that she had her mind made up about the teacher before she even started questioning him, and didn't realize it until the damage was done.

• Love 3

"Dissonant Voices" will always be frustrating for the fact that only Rollins was the one that took a cautioned, reasonable approach to the case and had a feeling that the music teacher was innocent. The others -- especially Olivia -- just mowed on ahead.

At the end when Olivia bemoaned how the kids didn't sound coached, I screamed "YES THEY DID!" at my TV. Little kids don't use words like "inappropriate" and "uncomfortable' unless they've been coached. Had Huang been there, he would have figured it out in five seconds, and maybe if Olivia hadn't still been suffering from Post Lewis Stress, she would have realized it to. But it was obvious from the beginning that she had her mind made up about the teacher before she even started questioning him, and didn't realize it until the damage was done.

About the best thing was Rollins subtly telling off Olivia, Fin, and Amaro at the end.  I loved her so much for that.

• Love 3

About the best thing was Rollins subtly telling off Olivia, Fin, and Amaro at the end. I loved her so much for that.

Definitely.

I will never understand why no one else was suspicious that the accusations only came out AFTER the teacher first appeared on that American Diva show. That should have been the first clue right then and there.

And why didn't the police at least try to clear the air with the school and the show when the guy was cleared? But I guess once you're tainted in the media, you're always tainted in the media so I guess there was no point.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3