Type keyword(s) to search

Murder, She Wrote - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I can't believe I just found this forum! I used to watch this show with my Grandmother, and when I saw it was on Hallmark, got hooked all over again!

The best part is, Mick has fallen in love with it too, so I'm now watching it with my husband! He buys me a season on DVD for every occasion, and we love watching them together. It's so refreshing after all the doom and gloom on T.V. these days!

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2015 at 7:09 AM, amensisterfriend said:

One fun game is to watch for the moment in each episode where Jessica is struck all over again by the depths of his haplessness along with the realization that she loves him and is stuck bailing him out again anyway. 

This is a fun article from 2014 explaining the addictive awesomeness of the show...I plan to send it to friends who just don't "get" why I love it so much :) 

http://www.vulture.com/2014/10/murder-she-wrote-30th-anniversary-netflix.html

Thank you for this link amensisterfriend, I've been running into you a lot lately! Aren't you on Bate's Motel too?

If you love mysteries, check out Martha Grimes. Next to Agatha, she's my favorite!

On 12/18/2016 at 10:25 AM, starri said:

With the show leaving Netflix soon, I'm trying speed through some old favorites.  I sat and watched "Jessica Behind Bars" (that's neck and neck with "Mirror, Mirror on the Wall" as my absolute favorite), and "Funeral at Fifty Mile," "Keep the Home Fries Burning," "The Sins of Castle Cove," "Who Killed JB Fletcher," and "Murder Among Friends" are on the docket as well.  But I'm open to suggestions.

I also really like "Murder, According to Maggie" (which is the only Jessica Lite episode that's any good) and while I'm not sure "The Days Dwindle Down" is actually a good episode, the use of the film and quite a few of the cast of the 50s noir Strange Bargain as a framing device is interesting.

I am so upset they took this off Netflix. Even though I own all 12 seasons (plus those godawful movies) on dvd, Netflix was so much more convenient for throwing on an old favorite at bedtime. 

There was an article years ago that said Cabot Cove had the highest murder rate per capita of any town on Earth.

As time went by I'm astounded anyone invited her anywhere. Every time she shows up someone dies and her family/friends are blamed.

I've always subscribed to the notion that Jessica Fletcher was the most successful serial murderer in history .

John Oliver made a hashtag (#JessicaFletcherisaserialmurderer) about this on his show recently. I love that this show can still randomly surface in current pop culture. 

1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

I am so upset they took this off Netflix. Even though I own all 12 seasons (plus those godawful movies) on dvd, Netflix was so much more convenient for throwing on an old favorite at bedtime. 

Netflix has taken the show off before (I think it was gone for about 6 months last time) and put it back on.  Don't lose hope!

1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

John Oliver made a hashtag (#JessicaFletcherisaserialmurderer) about this on his show recently.

Craig Ferguson used to have a skit where he played Jessica Fletcher murdering random people and then trying to "solve" it.  "Has there been a murder?"  Damn, that cracked my shit up back in the day.

• Love 2

Murder She Wrote co-creator William Link on creating the show and casting Angela Lansbury. The story at the end of how Angela found out the show was cancelled breaks my heart. She didn't even find out from CBS, but Universal. Les Moonves can go eff himself. The irony is a good chunk of the demographics today for MSW is young people, who watch it as comfort food:

• Love 2
On 4/10/2017 at 4:02 PM, VCRTracking said:

Murder She Wrote co-creator William Link on creating the show and casting Angela Lansbury. The story at the end of how Angela found out the show was cancelled breaks my heart. She didn't even find out from CBS, but Universal. Les Moonves can go eff himself. The irony is a good chunk of the demographics today for MSW is young people, who watch it as comfort food:

Ugh. I still don't get why they ever moved the show off of its Sunday night timeslot, it was the perfect spot for a show like that. Sunday night comfort viewing to take your mind off of Monday. The formula of the show meant that it never had to end, there was no Sam/Diane Ross/Rachel "will they/won't they" dynamic, each show could basically exist in a vacuum. There was no reason to kill it. 

That link led me to an interview series with Angela talking about the show. (This is different from the ones included on the dvd releases. 

• Love 2

The fact that a thread exists for Murder She Wrote makes me want to sob with joy! This is the first show that I was ever truly addicted to. I grew up on Agatha Christie mysteries, but Jessica Fletcher replaced Jane Marple as my heroine. Like someone else said, a woman who's happy and content being single and who leads a full life with nonstop adventure despite being over the age of 30? That was rare on TV then---and is still rare NOW! 

I never saw Jessica as too perfect despite being such a smart, competent, kind woman who routinely outsmarted trained detectives (which is just par for the course with this genre) and had billions of "close" friends (which seemed more to provide an excuse for her to be involved in so many different cases across a variety of settings than because they were trying to tell us she was the most beloved person ever to live!) She can be pushy, impatient, reckless, judgmental, too stubbornly determined to cling to her own opinions and beliefs, not really comfortable with deeper emotions, willing to resort to deceit if it means acheving justice.  Plus, as theorized in above posts, she might also be a serial killer. ;) 

I think Seth/Jessica was the first pair I "shipped", years before anyone started using that term! I'm actually glad they remained just clsoe friends onscreen, but my younger self pictured them ending up spending the final years of their lives together. 

This show just makes me so happy. I think it's at its peak in S2-S5 and agree Jessica seemed warmer and more don to earth then, but I'll watch almost any episode that happens to be on and even own some of the DVDs. 

Meanwhile, I think the Murder She Wrote books by Donald Bain are literally among the most poorly written disappointments I've ever come across...and yet keep buying them anyway because I'm addicted to all things MSW. Clearly I have a problem :)  

They are truly terrible. I occasionally see new ones pop up in the new books section at the library but I've kind of given up on them at this point and there are so many really good books that I want to read. MSW books are basically now desperation books, like if I'm heading on a long car trip and don't have anything else in my must-read queue, I might grab a few of these and suffer through the embarrassingly bad writing and the unrecognizable characterization of familiar figures.

We should start a support group! I hate almost every single one of the books and, until a year or two ago, still kept buying them anyway. I am exactly the book buyer the publisher of these counts on: someone so desperate for anything loosely connected to the show I'm still sentimentally attached to that I'll keep supporting the series despite ample proof of how dreadful it is. 

• Love 5

There was a Murder She Wrote marathon on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries yesterday. They showed 91/92 episodes and there were ones I hadn't seen before which was kinda nice. Hunt Block played a new Dr. that was practicing medicine in Cabot Cove. Seth felt threatened by  him due to a patient/friend dying during surgery that turned out to be a murder due to wrong blood being given. I liked Hunt's character and was sad to see he only played that character in one episode. Just looked and the episode was called "Programmed for Murder". It was fun to see Judith Chapman in a toned down role for a change even if she was the murder victim. 

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:46 AM, Jaded said:

There was a Murder She Wrote marathon on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries yesterday. They showed 91/92 episodes and there were ones I hadn't seen before which was kinda nice. Hunt Block played a new Dr. that was practicing medicine in Cabot Cove. Seth felt threatened by  him due to a patient/friend dying during surgery that turned out to be a murder due to wrong blood being given. I liked Hunt's character and was sad to see he only played that character in one episode. Just looked and the episode was called "Programmed for Murder". It was fun to see Judith Chapman in a toned down role for a change even if she was the murder victim. 

I didn't know his name, but he was very good as the new doctor giving Windom a chance to show Seth's insecurities and self-doubts of age. He and Mort were two of the reasons I looked forward to the later Cabot Cove stories more than the earlier ones--just something about the way those two acted those characters--and their connection to Jessica--made it seem like you were watching  real people, real friends (who just happened to live in the murder capital of the world).

Anyway re" Hunt Block,  I guess someone on the staff liked him, too, because he played three different characters-- a doctor, a priest and an Amish man who had left Amish country for NYC (I think) and knew Jessica through the publishing world.  The priest heard a confession about the murder and in the other episode, he took Jessica back to Amish country where he became one of the suspects in a murder. These are the episodes. He was very good in all of them (I think Ken Howard holds the record for the most guest characters--just a guess, though.)

Programmed for Murder (1992) ... Dr. Jonas Beckwith

Murder, Plain and Simple (1991) ... Reuben Stoltz

Seal of the Confessional (1989) ... Father Donald Barnes

16 hours ago, Padma said:

(I think Ken Howard holds the record for the most guest characters--just a guess, though.)

Actually, that honor goes to Bradford Dillman with 8 different characters in 8 episodes. Ken Howard had 5 characters in 6 episodes.

I really need to get a life. LOL

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Schnickelfritz said:

Actually, that honor goes to Bradford Dillman with 8 different characters in 8 episodes. Ken Howard had 5 characters in 6 episodes.

I guess I do too as I'm way too impressed with that statistic -- and hope I will someday have a chance to share it, too. lol  Funny that, just going by memory, I can remember all the Ken Howard ones, but only three with Dillman, even though I like him, too.

I'm enjoying Murder She Wrote even more now when I was younger. It's so refreshing to see a show built around a middle aged woman who is so capable, intelligent, well adjusted and nice--and the stories involve people of all ages with her which is pleasant too (not like, say, The Golden Girls, to mention something that's obviously very different.)  And even though I "ship" her and Seth, too, it's also nice to just see a genuine close middle-aged friendship portrayed on television, with both people who are centered and enjoying their lives.  Hard to explain why, but MSW is just very refreshing--it was "back in the day" and it still is now.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Padma said:

I'm enjoying Murder She Wrote even more now when I was younger. It's so refreshing to see a show built around a middle aged woman who is so capable, intelligent, well adjusted and nice--and the stories involve people of all ages with her which is pleasant too (not like, say, The Golden Girls, to mention something that's obviously very different.)  And even though I "ship" her and Seth, too, it's also nice to just see a genuine close middle-aged friendship portrayed on television, with both people who are centered and enjoying their lives.  Hard to explain why, but MSW is just very refreshing--it was "back in the day" and it still is now.

I only started watching this religiously a few years ago. I don't remember watching it at all when it was originally aired. I guess I was too busy raising the ankle biters and such. Really enjoying it now though! The guest stars (especially the stars of the 40's and 50's), the locations, and the always present humor. I grew up in a small town and recognize some of the characters - they just have a different name for television.

Just to prove I have no life whatsoever.

Bradford Dillman roles on MSW

S1, E13 - "Murder to a Jazz Beat" - Det Lt Simeon Dershaw

S3, E16 -"Death Takes A Dive" - Dennis McConnell

S4, E8 - "Steal Me A Story" - Avery Stone

S7, E4 - "Hannigan's Wake" - Commissioner Folkes

S8, E3 - "Unauthorized Obituary" - Arthur Brent

S9, E11 - "Final Curtain" - Eric Benderson

S10, E21 - "Wheel of Death" - Carl Dormer

S11, E15 - "Twice Dead" - Richard Ellston

That's quite a list! I can't believe how few of them I remember, esp as I'm sure I've seen them all several times. (I do remember Hannigan's Wake as Van Johnson was one of my favorite guest stars. Loved his good natured bravado.--though it wasn't as much in evidence in that one, of course.) I've never lived in a small town, but I like the idea that the way we imagine them isn't all just fiction.  I grew to like the choice of getting Jessica out and travelling--plus actually moving to NYC part of the time, but still enjoyed when she went back to CC (other than Loretta's Beauty Shop. That place played to my stereotypes of small town America and... ugh! :) )

• Love 1
On 5/21/2017 at 7:53 PM, Schnickelfritz said:

That's hilarious. I didn't recognize the name, so I had to look him up, I definitely remember the face. 

I only started watching this religiously a few years ago. I don't remember watching it at all when it was originally aired. I guess I was too busy raising the ankle biters and such. Really enjoying it now though! The guest stars (especially the stars of the 40's and 50's), the locations, and the always present humor. I grew up in a small town and recognize some of the characters - they just have a different name for television.

Angela Lansbury hired a lot of these people to help them keep their SAG cards, which I think is lovely. 

And I can't even count the number of times I've wracked my brain trying to figure why the person on another show looks so familiar and it turns out they were on MSW. 

• Love 1

Does anyone ever watch the eps that don't feature Jessica? I think the only one I have ever scene it's entirety and will watch if I happen to catch it is the one wear poor sweet dim Grady and heavily pregnant Donna go to Cabot Cover when Jessica is in London and art thieves think there is some valuable Chinese artifact is in her house.

The others that she just introduces make me immediately turn the channel. Wondering of any are worth a watch?

I always prefer the Jessica episodes.  I can think of a couple where she just introduced them that I will still watch.  They are: Class Act with Barry Newman.  I believe they hoped this might be a spin-off.  The other is Murder in a Minor Key with Shaun Cassidy. 

On 6/7/2017 at 4:40 AM, biakbiak said:

Does anyone ever watch the eps that don't feature Jessica? I think the only one I have ever scene it's entirety and will watch if I happen to catch it is the one wear poor sweet dim Grady and heavily pregnant Donna go to Cabot Cover when Jessica is in London and art thieves think there is some valuable Chinese artifact is in her house.

The others that she just introduces make me immediately turn the channel. Wondering of any are worth a watch?

I have an odd soft spot for that szechuan dragon episode too, even though it's super cheesy. I also like Goodbye Charlie quite a bit, she introduces that one as one of her books (I think?) and then it goes on without her. 

I always prefer the Jessica episodes.  I can think of a couple where she just introduced them that I will still watch.  They are: Class Act with Barry Newman.  I believe they hoped this might be a spin-off.  The other is Murder in a Minor Key with Shaun Cassidy. 

Class Act is another good one and I also like Grand Old Lady, which is set back 40 years. 

In searching for the name of that episode, I came across this article: 

Angela Lansbury admits Murder, She Wrote will always haunt her

It's not quite as negative as the title suggests:

Angela Lansbury, an actor returning to the London stage with a mantelpiece full of awards and a glittering career on Broadway stretching back more than half a century, has ruefully admitted that she is doomed for ever and worldwide to be known as the star of the television series Murder, She Wrote.

[snip]

Her performance in the role under the direction of Michael Blakemore – who will also take the helm of the West End revival – has already won her a Tony award on Broadway. However, she cheerfully conceded that it was not Coward, nor her own stage pedigree, which drew young audiences from all over the world.

They came because of her television character Jessica Fletcher, the crime writer turned private eye she incarnated from 1984 to 1996, a series still running on some cable channel 24 hours a day. "I'm very grateful for it," she said.

She was made a dame by the queen in 2014 apparently, I missed that. And she was evacuated from Britain to the US as a teenager during WWII, which I also didn't know. Interesting little bits of history. 

On 6/7/2017 at 4:40 AM, biakbiak said:

I really like "Murder (According to Maggie)."  The substitute Jessica is one of her former students, Maggie McAuley (played by Diana Canova from Soap) who's the producer of a Hill Street Blues-style show called Beat Cop.  

I may be the only person who does, but I don't care.  Diana Canova is great.

• Love 1

The only non-Jessica episodes I like are the Diana Canova one and the Shaun Cassidy one. I don't like the ones with that thief turned insurance investigator ones, or any of the others, frankly. My favorites are, without a doubt, all the ones set in Cabot Cove. Makes me wish I lived there! Yes, even with all the murders going on!??

• Love 1

I had forgotten just how sordid Prestonsburg Giles past was.  He was in a construction deal, went to prison, escaped, assumed a new identity, built a publishing business, destroywe his enemies, muder an enemy and killed an innocent man to deflect attention from the real crime. Dude was pretty hardcore.  Yet in The Return of Prestonsburg Giles, he presented as some broken old publisher who got in over his head and killed someone.  

• Love 1
On 1/20/2018 at 0:08 PM, Schnickelfritz said:

Bradford Dillman; the ultimate Murder She Wrote guest star with his 8 different roles in 8 episodes, died Tuesday at the age of 87.

RIP

His MSW record was the first thing I thought of when I saw he had passed. Sad news. 

I liked some of the non Jessica Fletcher episodes.. it helped keep the show fresh and gave Angela L some rest so that she could soldier on for 12 seasons!  My childhood from age 5 to 17 were when she was on.. and my parents used to love watching her (right before the Sunday night made for tv movie) so I always have a soft spot for the show... and grew up with the show.

With that said, I liked the Cabot Cove episodes better.. and I liked the earlier episodes because of the old time guest stars vs the later seasons where the guest stars weren't as grand..imho.

• Love 3
On 2/12/2018 at 8:46 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

I liked some of the non Jessica Fletcher episodes.. it helped keep the show fresh and gave Angela L some rest so that she could soldier on for 12 seasons!  My childhood from age 5 to 17 were when she was on.. and my parents used to love watching her (right before the Sunday night made for tv movie) so I always have a soft spot for the show... and grew up with the show.

With that said, I liked the Cabot Cove episodes better.. and I liked the earlier episodes because of the old time guest stars vs the later seasons where the guest stars weren't as grand..imho.

There's a couple "Before They Were Famous" appearances like Marcia Cross and Jim Caviezel. Kevin Sorbo was in the infamous "virtual reality" episode. Some Star Trek Voyager Kate Mulgrew,

I liked when Jessica started teaching writing at an NYC university. It was a nice way in to more "urban" and "youth oriented" stories.

Kate Mulgrew was on multiple times.   Her Voyager castmates Robert Duncan McNeill and Robert Beltran were also on.   Megan Mullaley from Will & Grace also did an episode.  

I didn't like the the New York episodes as much.  It just didn't feel like Jessica's jam.  I much prefer when she was in Cabot Cove (helping to keep the population from ballooning out of control) or when she was visiting family/friends/acquaintances is exotic (and not so exotic) locales.   

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Maverick said:

I didn't like the the New York episodes as much.  It just didn't feel like Jessica's jam.  I much prefer when she was in Cabot Cove (helping to keep the population from ballooning out of control) or when she was visiting family/friends/acquaintances is exotic (and not so exotic) locales.   

Same here. I mean, I know the premise was that Jessica was smarter than the cops, but seriously, just as one cop asked: why should he, a cop, listen to someone who wasn’t and had no experience of being one?

I much preferred the Cabot Cove episodes which made me want to live there, even if it came across like Peyton Place sometimes!??????

• Love 2
14 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Its Flim Flam,, he is squating at the movie studio. 

7 minutes ago, Schnickelfritz said:

Season 11, episode 16

Thanks guys! But that's the first thing I did when I read that he appeared--went to IMDB and got the information. Now I need to check my dvr guide to see what seasons both Cozi and HMMC are up to and if they're not at season 11, YouTube, here I come!!!!

• Love 1

It’s funny, in my memories of the show, most were set in Cabot Cove, but when I did a rewatch a few years ago I think the average was five CC eps per season? Don’t quote me!

I understand that Angela Lansbury wanted Jessica to grow and change (especially after playing the character for so many years), but I’m always a little sad when she goes off to New York. SETH!

Also, while I love that Jessica was portrayed as an independent woman who wasn’t defined by her romantic relationships, I can’t help but wonder ... so she never had, ahem, physical relations after Frank died? That whole part of her life was just OVER? That seems a little sad to me—especially since Angela Lansbury was ALL about staying “vital and attractive” as an older woman in her workout video! ;) 

Edited by lizzbert
  • Love 5

Yes to everything you wrote, lizzbert!

The Cabot Cove episodes are the best. I really wish they had done episodes set in a neighboring town like Morgan Bay to keep some of the core characters involved. I loved  Lady in the Lake from the 2nd season. 

Jessica definitely got lots of offers (so many frisky older men on this and Golden Girls!). I don’t remember her being tempted by any of them...

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, peachybean said:

Jessica definitely got lots of offers (so many frisky older men on this and Golden Girls!). I don’t remember her being tempted by any of them...

There were a few; the gentleman in the pilot who ended up being the murderer. There was that spy dude, who's current on Blue Bloods, playing Tom Selleck's father.

• Love 1

I'm bummed that the series finale didn't take place in Cabot Cove. Then again, I can't remember if the show was cancelled suddenly, so the writers couldn't plan to do that-IF that was what the plan was for the series ender. It was such a blah episode.

So now, it's not on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Channel, but on Cozi and WGN.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm bummed that the series finale didn't take place in Cabot Cove. Then again, I can't remember if the show was cancelled suddenly, so the writers couldn't plan to do that-IF that was what the plan was for the series ender. It was such a blah episode.

I wish they had done something similar to the last episode of Perry Mason (Case of the Final Fade Out). That episode was filled the crew in minor roles (most essentially playing themselves) and lots of "in jokes". They could have brought back favorites from the past (Sheriff Tupper, Deputy Andy, Deputy Floyd, etc) Have all of her nieces, nephews and god children together in one place. Lots of things that could have been done and still left the door open to do the movies. It wouldn't have had to wrap everything up. Perry Mason sure didn't.

Heck, have her dream of going home and no one is there... as they have all been murdered; Cabot Cove being the murder capital of the world.

Anything but that sad excuse of an ending... (until the movies)

• Love 6
On 2/20/2018 at 10:38 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

There were a few; the gentleman in the pilot who ended up being the murderer. There was that spy dude, who's current on Blue Bloods, playing Tom Selleck's father.

And the guy played by Dale Roberston who was with Frank in the Air Force.  When Jessica visited his ranch, he really put the moves on Jessica, but no luck.  Also Michael Hagerty and Dennis Stanton.

• Love 3

So, "Lovers and Other Killers" was on this weekend on Cozi, I think. And every time I see it, I wail at the lost potential of any wink*wink* meta lines this episode could have done referencing the Original Mission Impossible. Because we had PETER GRAVES AND GREG MORRIS in the same episode! And they only showed them together in one 30 second scene, talking to Angela after she'd been attacked and was in the ER! Boo! Hiss!!!

And the way the camera focused on Andrew Stevens' character, David Tolliver at the end when Angela walked away: his smile changing to a look of anger/rage? I'm surprised we didn't see him show up in a future episode, stalking Angela or trying to kill her.

• Love 2

I’m bummed that none of the follow-up movies were set in Cabot Cove or featured any regulars—I’d even take a Grady sighting! 

The other night I was looking for a good CC episode that I hadn’t watched too many times, and settled on “Mr. Penroy’s Vacation” from Season Five. It’s Mort’s introduction to the show and just such a perfect snapshot of the town: you get Seth and the Mayor, quirky townies (those sisters!), allusions to Arsenic and Old Lace, and just the perfect amount of Jessica as she eases Mort into “how things are done” there!

• Love 4
On 2/14/2018 at 7:56 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Same here. I mean, I know the premise was that Jessica was smarter than the cops, but seriously, just as one cop asked: why should he, a cop, listen to someone who wasn’t and had no experience of being one?

I much preferred the Cabot Cove episodes which made me want to live there, even if it came across like Peyton Place sometimes!??????

Hence why my favorite CC episode was the Sins of Castle Cove episode about the steamy tell all loosely cased on Cabot Cove.  You had the beauty palor with the older women gossiping, the young assistant feeding the gossip to the young writer.. plus lots of suspects, etc.  

• Love 5
10 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Hence why my favorite CC episode was the Sins of Castle Cove episode about the steamy tell all loosely cased on Cabot Cove.  You had the beauty palor with the older women gossiping, the young assistant feeding the gossip to the young writer.. plus lots of suspects, etc.  

That was...season four, I think? But season one also had "If it's Tuesday, It must be Beverly," which was when we met the gossiping businesswomen (Eve, Phyllis), houswives and Loretta, who owned the beauty shop. And all the women, had a thing going with the married deputy!

Floyd was my favorite deputy, because the actor gave a good performance of having the Down East accent. Once Mort took over, and Andy replaced Floyd, we lost that small bit of Down East/Maine/Cabot Cove specialness.

• Love 4

"The Sins of Castle Cove" was on yesterday! And I was wrong, it was season five, with Metzger as the idiotic Sheriff. I've never warmed up to him. Possibly because I didn't like him, and also because of the sleazy character he played on my other FAVORITE show, Remington Steele. I know Tom Bosley left to do...Father Dowling Mysteries? But I missed Amos. As I was watching, I was trying to figure out if they could just package only the Cabot Cove episodes, I'd buy them. Oh, and a few others, like "Death Stalks the Hightop," where Jessica discovers Frank's brother is still alive and working at a circus.

I love to see how many actors from General Hospital appeared on this show. But I hated the recast of Howard, Genie Francis's husband, when we visit with her again in her third and last appearance in California. Jeff Conway has been replaced and Howard is now being playing Dean Butler; yuck.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

"No Laughing Murder" was on yesterday guest starring Steve Lawrence and Buddy Hackett as a once-popular comedy duo and an incredibly young George Clooney as Lawrence's son and he's engaged to Hackett's daughter but their father's have been feuding for years. This was made in 1987 so it was after Clooney was on Facts of Life and before Roseanne.  I figured out who the murderer was going to be ten minutes in but it was still enjoyable. It's one of those episodes where Jessica not only solves a murder but also helps friends with their personal problems . It was hard to take Buddy Hackett seriously in the dramatic moments though because his face and voice is so goofy.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

Not only that, but I thought Bill Maher, yes, THAT Bill Maher of Real Time on HBO and of Politically Incorrect, appeared not once, but TWICE on this show! First as a con man in Season Five? About a witch? Then in Season Six, in one of those episodes that didn't feature Jessica at all, but where Jessica tells us, the audience about a story. And Maher featured as the Protagonist, and his wife was played by Faith Ford. It was so surreal to see Maher acting. I'm so used to his stand up and his shows!

I'm waiting for the non-Jessica episode with Shaun Cassidy! It's too bad that neither David, Ryan or Patrick also appeared, as Shirley Jones also appeared o this show.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm waiting for the non-Jessica episode with Shaun Cassidy! It's too bad that neither David, Ryan or Patrick also appeared, as Shirley Jones also appeared o this show.

It juat played on COzi in the last few days.