Type keyword(s) to search

BUZZR TV: Classic Game Shows

Milz
  • Start Topic

I agree about these shows serving as time capsules.  Especially Family Feud. In its original run it was a glimpse into the country's pop culture. (Its current incarnation with questions like "what do men call their ding-dong?" is garbage.)

• Love 4

Today (June 11) in my geographic location (north of Chicago) those of us watching free, OTA (over the air) TV had to rescan our channels. Fortunately I came across this online PSA a few days ago that did apply to my equipment, so I'm sharing it here:

Sometimes a Double Rescan is needed to clear the memory of your digital TV or converter box:

1. Disconnect the antenna from the Converter Box or Digital TV.
  2. Rescan without the antenna connected. As with any scan, follow the on-screen instructions or owner's manual for your device.
  3. Unplug the Converter Box or Digital TV from the electrical outlet for one minute.
  4. Reconnect the antenna to the Converter Box or Digital TV and plug the unit into the electrical outlet.
  5. Rescan the Converter Box or Digital TV one more time.

The "rescan"  procedure for steps 2 and 5 above will vary. On mine it's:

1. Press the Home button on my remote.
  2. Select CHANNEL.
  3. Select Auto Tuning.
  4. Select Start.

I don't get BUZZR anymore, but apparently they are showing old "Beat the Clock" episodes (which James Dean and Warren Oates were a stunt testers for) , which would be worth watching.  Another show they should run is "Truth or Consequences."

Edited by Tom Holmberg
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I don't get BUZZR anymore, but apparently they are showing old "Beat the Clock" episodes (which James Dean and Warren Oates were a stunt tester for) , which would be worth watching.  Another show they should run is "Truth or Consequences."

Buzzr streams now, so you should be able to still watch if you want 

http://buzzrplay.com/watch

• Love 1
8 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Has anyone heard anything about the BUZZR Bowl?

I've been seeing commercials for it. Here's the one I've been seeing that they posted to Facebook.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Jaded said:

I've been seeing commercials for it. Here's the one I've been seeing that they posted to Facebook.

On my TV guide however, it's also showing that the Louie Anderson era of Family Feud is being shown where it's nowhere to be found in that commercial.

I wish BUZZR would show more "What's My Line" and "I've Got A Secret."  Here's Bennett Cerf honoring librarians (starts at 2:07).  Where would a prime time show today even mention librarians?  You don't get this sort of wit and intelligence on TV anymore.

• Love 1
On 1/29/2019 at 3:13 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

I wish BUZZR would show more "What's My Line" and "I've Got A Secret."  Here's Bennett Cerf honoring librarians (starts at 2:07).  Where would a prime time show today even mention librarians?  You don't get this sort of wit and intelligence on TV anymore.

I just found this forum, and while I enjoy the old Match Games and TattleTale from the '70s, I've really grown fond of the What's My Line, I've Got a Secret and To Tell the Truth episodes from the 1960s. They're before my time, but I like the fashions some of the guests and panelists wear. 

That said, Buzzr seems to have removed them from the schedule for July, which is sad. Especially weekday mornings, I get up at 5am and like to put on my makeup while watching them. So much nicer than having to watch the news. 😞

• Love 2

Buzzr also seems to have replaced the 11PM - 1AM block of Match Game with Family Feud episodes, pushing the Match Game block to 1-3AM according to Buzzr's online schedule. So, I'll have to find another "turn your mind off" enjoyably bland show to lull me to sleep - there's too much intermittent screaming and yelling from contestants and the audience (not to mention the screechy fiddle theme song) on Feud to let my brain power down.

2 hours ago, ABitOFluff said:

I've really grown fond of the What's My Line, I've Got a Secret and To Tell the Truth episodes from the 1960s. They're before my time, but I like the fashions some of the guests and panelists wear. 

I really like What's My Line, but the other two shows don't do it for me.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 1:24 PM, ABitOFluff said:

That said, Buzzr seems to have removed them from the schedule for July, which is sad.

GSN used to show them and seemed to have more episodes.  Then they would occasionally run them, seemingly randomly, but I haven't seen them schedule for a long while.

This evening BUZZR TV aired an episode of the Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour in which Gene Rayburn gave a Match Game clue that went something like:
   Boxers often get cauliflower ears. In a fight with Michael [bleep] I got a cauliflower blank.
He read it 3 times, and each time they bleeped the word or name after "Michael."
All of the answers were "knees." Does anyone know what was bleeped?
It ran from October 31, 1983 to July 27, 1984.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

This evening BUZZR TV aired an episode of the Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour in which Gene Rayburn gave a Match Game clue that went something like:
   Boxers often get cauliflower ears. In a fight with Michael [bleep] I got a cauliflower blank.
He read it 3 times, and each time they bleeped the word or name after "Michael."
All of the answers were "knees." Does anyone know what was bleeped?
It ran from October 31, 1983 to July 27, 1984.

Spoiler

M*****

On 12/13/2019 at 8:34 AM, shapeshifter said:

Thank you, @Jaded. I wonder if they have only bleeped that word on the Match Game/Hollywood. I'm sure I've heard it on the Match Game. It's interesting to see a lot of cringe-inducing statements made on the show and to see whether or not anyone reacts.

From what I could find online Buzzr seems to be editing words out during the episodes of shows they've been airing for the first time on their network. I've seen episodes of Match Game with that and worse on Buzzr and GSN too. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

From what I could find online Buzzr seems to be editing words out during the episodes of shows they've been airing for the first time on their network. I've seen episodes of Match Game with that and worse on Buzzr and GSN too. 

That explains it. The daytime Match Game episodes have been in reruns multiple times each on BUZZR.

What makes me cringe the most is something that they couldn't edit out --they'd have to cut those episodes. For example, when Jimmie Walker was on, I've heard Gene Rayburn and some others make jokes that have to do with his being African American. I see Jimmie looking uncomfortable and maybe even Gene too. Could the jokes have been scripted? Or was Gene just trying to be friendly and didn't know how?

And there have been a lot of homophobic-ish jokes --but I also get the impression that they were all friends of Charles Nelson Reilly and accepted him --almost like they were making the jokes because the network wouldn't keep him on the show if he was out so maybe they were sticking it to the network?

While recovering from illness, I’ve been enjoying 1970s Tattletales, partly because of the charming Bert Convey (who died too young of cancer) but also because couples who stayed together for decades remind me of my parents in their closeness. In general these couples score better too.

Interestingly and an exception to that pattern, singer-actress Barbara McNair did well on the show with her 3rd of 5 husbands, Rick Menzie, who had issues with heroin before they were on Tattletales, and whose dealings with the mob led to his murder not long after they were on the show (wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_McNair#Personal_life). Perhaps they’d have stayed married if not for the murder?

• Like 2