Type keyword(s) to search

BUZZR TV: Classic Game Shows

Milz
  • Start Topic

Match Game has two episodes at 8 and 8:30 am Eastern(right now, they're doing the 1979-82 daily syndicated version), but no TattleTales. At least there's YouTube.

ETA: Oops, reading back it looks like you were talking about BUZZR and not GSN. Sorry!

(Note to self: read ALL the posts before replying!)

Edited by smittykins

And Richard Dawson smoked cigarettes. Just in case anyone thought Mad Men was fiction.

I'm happy this network has its own thread. I've posted a few comments under the MeTV section. I love the old repeats of TattleTales, and find myself Googling afterwards to see who is still alive, who is still married, etc.

We lost GSN on our cable over a year ago --- it's now a premium channel which I refuse to pay more than I do already!  I was thrilled with BUZZR came on.

I remember Super Password, Blockbuster and of course Match Game.  Never saw Tattletales the first time around but it's a must see for me now and it's a DVR staple. 

I also google the people after --- Dick Gautier is still alive!  I remember having a crush on him when he was in Men With Tights.  Sad to read that boht Bert Convy and Bobby Van (a bit of an ass) died when they were 50-52.  It made me feel a little sorry for Elaine Joyce but after watching her gape open mouthed every time in the little green box and tongue herself, well, that ended quickly.

I am loving watching To Tell The Truth and What's My Line.  I do wonder, though, why I keep seeing the same few episodes when both of these shows had so many seasons in their initial runs.  To Tell The Truth initially ran from 1956-1968, and What's My Line from 1950-1967.  I was happy to see there will be a brief revival of To Tell The Truth at some point, they already filmed it.  Although I am not excited to see Nene Leakes.  From wiki...

A six-episode version, to be hosted by Anthony Anderson will air on ABC. The episodes were taped in July 2015, but no date of airing is known. Panelists named include Betty White and NeNe Leakes.

On Buzzr, in general, I love it.  The only game show they are showing I don't like is Let's Make a Deal.  It just bored me for some reason.  But I do like Tattletales, Super Password, Richard Dawson's Family Feud, etc.  I love that they are showing Body Language.  

• Love 3

I am loving watching To Tell The Truth and What's My Line.  I do wonder, though, why I keep seeing the same few episodes when both of these shows had so many seasons in their initial runs.  To Tell The Truth initially ran from 1956-1968, and What's My Line from 1950-1967.  I was happy to see there will be a brief revival of To Tell The Truth at some point, they already filmed it.  Although I am not excited to see Nene Leakes.  From wiki...

On Buzzr, in general, I love it.  The only game show they are showing I don't like is Let's Make a Deal.  It just bored me for some reason.  But I do like Tattletales, Super Password, Richard Dawson's Family Feud, etc.  I love that they are showing Body Language.  

I noticed they repeat the same ones over and over. I'm not sure why. Maybe they will air new shows next season?

• Love 2

I noticed they repeat the same ones over and over. I'm not sure why. Maybe they will air new shows next season?

If these shows are from the 1960s, I wonder if they were just junked by the network who saw no future value in keeping them around?  After all there was no VCR or DVR back then, and I read that Johnny Carson and Soupy Sales, for example, had a great number of their shows of that era sadly trashed without their knowledge.

After watching the Kennedy Center Honors , I am waiting for Maestro Ozawa's episode of What's My Line? There was a clip of the maestro signing in in kanji(?)!

To the subject of the seemingly same shows being seemingly endlessly recycled:

There are ads with clips that either haven't been aired yet or I have missed. The one Buzzr is showing of Mohammed Ali is one I really want to catch, but there is no slug about what episode(s) are airing on a given day. Which is silly, imo, when it comes to the "primetime" shows with rotating guests, like Match Game, Tattletales, and the black & white troika of To Tell The Truth, What's My Line? and I've Got A Secret. If you keep the "detail" loglines/slugs to primetime, then viewers could not only save themselves from watching an episode for the umpteenth time, but know when to stay up/set their machines to catch an episode they would like/ have been waiting for.  In the long run, keeping viewers, even if not for a particular episode.

I know that the scrubbing of tapes was very common, but What's My Line and To Tell The Truth were held in such esteem, that I can't believe that there aren't more episodes saved somewhere.

• Love 1

I wish they'd add Sale of the Century to the rotation instead of an occasional run.  I'm loving Tattletales though like others am wondering why we are only seeing Season 1 when there were 8 seasons.  Also loving Super Password and Blockbusters.

(edited)

It looks like they're showing "new" episodes of What's My Line. I never saw the Tyrone Power one which aired last week. Sadly, 3 years after that show Tyrone Power died

Edited by Milz

Not to steer anyone away from television on a TV board, but if you're bored of the same What's My Line? episodes, almost every episode still known to exist is uploaded at https://www.youtube.com/user/WhatsMyLineCBS/.  The current count is 758 episodes spanning from the series premiere in 1950 to the finale in 1967.  If you're worried about legality, Goodson-Todman never posted copyright notices on the show's episodes aired on CBS.

• Love 4

I was watching Super Password with my mom during school break and Tournament of Champions was on.   Either they didn't air it or her DVR didn't pick it up but never found out who won.  Hoping it wasn't Danna.

I am still very hooked on What's My Line.  Everyone seems to just have a good time with it, and John Daly looks like he's having so much fun.  It's infectious.  I've also been impressed with the caliber of the Mystery Guests they have - big stars, big names in sports, big names in politics, etc - even though the panel usually guesses correctly who it is pretty quickly.

• Love 2

No BUZZR here in the Albany, NY area.  :-(  But TWC here is notoriously stingy, anyway.

Have you tried getting it over the air Wendy?   There are sub-channels galore here in NYC these days, I'm pretty sure I get BUZZR though I haven't watched it yet.

Have you tried getting it over the air Wendy?   There are sub-channels galore here in NYC these days, I'm pretty sure I get BUZZR though I haven't watched it yet.

Can you do OTA if you have cable?

Can you do OTA if you have cable?

Hi Wendy, it depends I think on how you have your cable box hooked up.  If you use an HDMI or other video cables between the cable box and the TV, then you can use the round cable wire connector ("F" connector) on the TV (the one marked antenna) to an indoor antenna in the window (they are generally not expensive).  I have a Premiere Tivo which lets you hook up both, though the newer models don't have that feature.

• Love 3

Hi Wendy, it depends I think on how you have your cable box hooked up.  If you use an HDMI or other video cables between the cable box and the TV, then you can use the round cable wire connector ("F" connector) on the TV (the one marked antenna) to an indoor antenna in the window (they are generally not expensive).  I have a Premiere Tivo which lets you hook up both, though the newer models don't have that feature.

Thanks for the info, roseha!  :-)

• Love 1

I saw a bit of Child's Play this morning. One of the contestants looked incredibly familiar. So sort of looked like Sabrina Le Beauf who played the eldest daughter on The Cosby Show. Then Bill Collins called her "Anne Marie". She is Anne Marie Johnson who was Mrs. Tibbs on In The Heat of The Night starring Carroll O'Connor!

• Love 1

I was so psyched when I saw the Game Show Host episode 2 on Tattletales last night.  And then majorly bummed when the next episode was another oft run repeat.  Why BUZZR why?

On 4/11/2016 at 1:27 PM, Milz said:

Then Bill Collins called her "Anne Marie".

I think you mean Bill Cullen here.  :-) Who also, believe it or not (per Wiki) was the original host of The Price Is Right ('60s version - before my time!).

Ha! Proof you really can find almost anything on YT. Here is such an episode of '60s TPIR!

• Love 1

I read an article about Bill Cullen that explained why he was removed from TPIR and was always behind a podium on the game shows.  He was self conscious of how he walked and that one leg was shorter than the other, he couldn't do physical stuff easily so had to give up TPIR and couldn't do concentration.

On 8/6/2016 at 6:16 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I think you mean Bill Cullen here.  :-) Who also, believe it or not (per Wiki) was the original host of The Price Is Right ('60s version - before my time!).

Ha! Proof you really can find almost anything on YT. Here is such an episode of '60s TPIR!

Unfortunate typo.

Been too busy for tv recently :(

I'm home with chemo, and ION was off air for a few hours, so I thought I'd check out Buzzr since it was Family Feud, and I like the one with Steve Harvey. But no. Whoever the MC is, after each question he kisses a female contestant on the lips. Ew. Gross.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

shapeshifter, sorry about the chemo

I assume you are quite young since you don't remember Richard Dawson and his kissy schtick (also a permanent "celebrity" on Match Game)

Thanks.
Not young. Just so old that I spent a lot of years off the grid as a hippy type. My kids didn't have TV until the oldest was 18. 

How long did that kissing thing go on? I kissed my kids on the cheek, but never on the mouth. Now I almost need to Google what disease that guy died of. Or maybe he just finally got herpes.

2 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Funny enough, I think "Mommy" was a former contestant he met on the show.

Yes, Richard Dawson met his second wife when she and her family were contestants. But he must have done something right, as I think they stayed married until his death. (I think I read they had a kid or kids, too. Well, obviously one with the above quote! But maybe more than one? Unsure...)

• Love 3

I am so bummed that Buzzr is now showing infomercials in the mornings, and even into late mornings on the weekends.  I used to have it on while getting ready for work, or just getting up and moving (on the weekends) in the morning.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/patti-deutsch-dead-laugh-match-game-comedienne-was-73-1025096

Patti Deutsch was the last seat on the bottom row on Match Game and frequent Tattletales celeb with her husband writer Donald Ross. (plus Laugh In and other shows!)

On 4/2/2017 at 9:10 AM, aquarian1 said:

I am so bummed that Buzzr is now showing infomercials in the mornings, and even into late mornings on the weekends.  I used to have it on while getting ready for work, or just getting up and moving (on the weekends) in the morning.

On the weekends my Buzzr shows a fishing program!

I have come to enjoy these 1970s episodes of Family Feud and The Match Game as anthropological time capsules of American culture. In addition to the clothes and hair and old commercials, the answers that were considered "most common" at the time are interesting for their values and the state of technology.

I have also come to the opinion that although in today's world Richard Dawson would have never gotten away with all the touching and kissing, his motives do not seem to be to harass or show off his power in the form of the right to touch woman, but rather to just encourage and adore. 

OTOH, knowing that Ray Combs eventually took his own life makes watching his episodes a bit like watching a really slow motion train wreck.

• Love 4