Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Return

I have never seen a single episode of any of those shows. I mean I watched the original 90210, but I presume that she was on the remake...and wasn't even born during the original, lol. But thanks for looking her up for me!

Hmm.  Maybe I'll have to look back and find something less obscure she was in!

(edited)

The villain in particular was vaguly familiar and I thought she could have been on some reality show, but I suppose I've seen her in an actual acting role.

Moved to Cast & Crew thread.

Edited by SonofaBiscuit

"This show is Satan's asshole." That's good writing right there.

About 10 years ago, Spike had a show called "Joe Schmo" and the second season was a dating show where everyone was an actor except for two civilians. The fake manipulation wasn't anywhere near what goes on in this show.

• Love 3

I don't know if anyone answered this, I know I'm late to the game, but it seems to be free on Amazon.

The first four episodes (so far) are available at http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/unreal

Here's the description for this episode:

Set against the backdrop of a fictional hit dating competition show, UnREAL is led by Rachel, a young staffer whose sole job is to manipulate her relationships with and among the contestants to get the vital dramatic and outrageous footage the program's dispassionate executive producer, Quinn King, demands. What ensues is a humorous, yet vexing, look at what happens in the world of unscripted television, where being a contestant can be vicious and producing it is a whole other reality.

"Humorous, yet vexing"?! More like dark yet trashy.  This is my new guilty pleasure TV now that season one of Bravo's The Royals is over.

• Love 2

I'm having the same thoughts about a second season. Once you show the tricks of the trade where do you go? 

I'm wondering similarly: why should I watch past the pilot? Normally, if I say I watched the pilot and don't have much interest in watching more, that's a bad review. In this case, nothing could be further from the truth: I would highly recommend it to others. But I feel like I've now "seen it". (I read somewhere that it was adapted from a short film, which totally reinforces my feeling.)

I like this but don't really know what to make of it., it's a weird one. Why did she come back to work there at all? She seems to hate it. Is Quinn blackmailing her?

(edited)

I like this but don't really know what to make of it., it's a weird one. Why did she come back to work there at all? She seems to hate it. Is Quinn blackmailing her?

Yes.

You could just get the show to drop the charges. I mean, you guys got the car back, and I'm paying off all of the damages, and— [sighs] You know, the threat of jail time, that's not exactly helping me sleep at night.

Edited by editorgrrl

The thing is, she is not being forced to work there, she is just choosing not to face the consequences of what she did. It's not really blackmail, it's more like a deal. You work here I won't press the charges I have ever right to press because you broke the law. I guess I see blackmail more as making someone do something or you will reveal something that not everyone already knows about, like what the roommate did. Everyone knows what Rachel did, it's just a matter of how did she want to pay for it, jail or work.

(edited)

The charges are pressed....otherwise she wouldn't have said to Quinn, "or you could just drop the charges". She's working it off and still has the threat of jail time over her head, I think. Quinn said something back like she wants to make sure what happened doesn't happen again, if I'm remembering this correctly. It's scare tactics for Rachel to be on her best behavior and do what Quinn wants. Not exactly blackmail, but that's what it feels like to Rachel I guess.

Edited by basically
  • Love 1

There was a lot of talk a few years ago about how reality-show writers and crew weren't unionized, so they were being completely exploited. It's ironic that what's happening on one side of the show is also happening on the other.

One of the most interesting things about this show, to me, is that mirroring of the exploitation. Rachel exploits the weaknesses of the contestants; Quinn exploits the weaknesses of Rachel; Craig Bierko (whatever his character's name is) exploits the weaknesses of Quinn; and so on. And the ones behind the scenes are too smart not to know they're being played. But knowing it's happening and doing anything about it are two different things.

• Love 2

This show is the very definition of, "You can't handle the truth!" Check Twitter to see how many reality cast and crew say, "They nailed it." Granted, this is one subgenre of reality TV. Most people enjoy their time on many types of shows, but you'll hear horror stories if you ask.

The only thing that rings false is that Rachel was asked back. No way. Plus, no show creator is ever on set past the first season. Most of them live in Europe anyway.

I'm hooked. For those who aren't, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Not in Atlanta , Atlanta has more independently produced reality shows than any other city.  Alot of our shows even have crew members working completely for free on the first season or doing illegal shit having crew members working 18 + hours but not paying them for all of those hours.  I wish this hsow would get into all the nasty buisness about how the freelance workers behind the scenes are treated by the big shot money grubbing hollywood producers.

One of the most interesting things about this show, to me, is that mirroring of the exploitation. Rachel exploits the weaknesses of the contestants; Quinn exploits the weaknesses of Rachel; Craig Bierko (whatever his character's name is) exploits the weaknesses of Quinn; and so on. And the ones behind the scenes are too smart not to know they're being played. But knowing it's happening and doing anything about it are two different things.

if you want to keep your job you don't complain . Hollywood works on a system where people do jobs like Rachel does  helping a show pull in millions in ratings yet get paid peanuts under the guise that you are working your way up the ladder and someday will be a big hollwood director/producer yourself