Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Testimony

• Start Topic

My love of Jonah insults knows no bounds.  Notes from the Jonad files:

“Jraq, Jizzy Gillespie, Jack and the Giant Jackoff, Gaylien, Tinkerballs, Wadzilla, One Erection”
“The Pointless Giant, The 60 Foot Virgin, Jimpanzee, Jonah Ono, Hagrid’s Nutsack, Scrotum Pole, Transgenderformers, 12 Years a Slave to Jerking Off, Benedict CumInHisOwnHand, Guyscraper, The Cloud Botherer, Supercalifragilisticexbialidickcheese, Teenage Mutant Ninja Asshole, Spewbacca”

• Love 13

I'm not a big fan of this kind of format for episodes (testifying to a panel..which has been done on countless shows) but there were some great lines. Especially "Wicker Dan" and "I took Noticing in high school".

• Love 1
(edited)

This was pretty great. It was a bit ridiculous that Gary was the only one who thought to bring a lawyer, but I'll allow it.

I enjoyed Dan being one step behind Leigh Patterson's testimony, "are you on some kind of satellite delay, Mr. Egan?"

I liked how little details slipped out through people like Patterson, Sue, and Spelt. 

Also, I wish more congressional testimony was like Cafferty's. "...or is that too far-fetched for you?"

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 1

I loved this as a summary of all the things that have happened in the season. All the call backs through this kind of format worked really well.

You got the sense that the committee knew if they started pulling at threads the whole was going to turn into such an unbelievable quagmire, they were once again happy to take a scapegoat and be done with it.

This one didn't really work for me. Aside from the laundry list of Jonah's nicknames, which I admit did have me rolling, the episode itself just wasn't very strong. I think the gimmick of the testimony and depositions limited the kind of back and forth between the characters that is the show's main strength. Also, this is the second time this season where I started to feel like the show is running out of steam. They are all so incompetent there's really nothing left for them at this point but impeachment. 

• Love 2

Again, Kevin Dunn was the MVP for this episode.  I loved his "If I had a kid...which I do."  That sums up his life in general, everything seems to be an afterthought to whatever is going on at this second.  I can't say enough how much I want him to win an Emmy for this season.

I was okay w/ Bill Ericsson being the scapegoat b/c I could never really figure out why he was brought into this administration to begin with.  I remember Selina wanting him on her side when she was running for President, but then he turned her down.  That's it.

Wow, I wasn't expecting staffer Lee Patterson to show back up, but damn.  She blew it all wide open.

I love Sue and how confidant and cool she comes across but is never able to reign her distaste until she makes a blunder like the voice memos comment.

I have to say, Catherine being bitchy was awesome, as was the smackdown by woman saying she would be just as rude/hostile if needed.  So it looks like Selina quashed Catherine's engagement for the time being....would love to have seen that conversation.

Line of the night was Ericsson's "I took noticing in high school."

• Love 5

I loved this ep! I wish I had a better memory to list all the lines I adored. Yes, Ericsson's saying, "I took noticing in high school," is one of the tops. Another was Richard raising his left hand and saying he'd been practicing in the mirror.

Amy's dress was so bad, when Jonah pointed it out I was so happy. 

Everyone's testimony was hilarious and so perfect for their characters. Mike demonstrating the voice app was fantastic. Poor Gary.

So so good.

• Love 1

I still have to say I love this show and I love how twisted and warped it is, and at the same time it's not funny for me and mostly uncomfortable.  I really didn't like the grilling of Jonah about his groping even though I really don't like Jonah.  One of my guilty pleasures as a teenager was watching the Senate Watergate hearings, and the lies and the misspeaking (TM Ron Ziegler) were exactly the same.

How does Selina stay president after this season?  I think she probably doesn't. 

I don't care whom they sacrifice as long as Kevin Dunn stays. 

• Love 1

I'm wondering about Selina winning too. I don't know how long the general election is after these hearings, but they didn't put her administration in a good light. 

Did anyone else catch Dan calling *Gary* Kaiser Soze?

• Love 1
I have to say, Catherine being bitchy was awesome, as was the smackdown by woman saying she would be just as rude/hostile if needed.  So it looks like Selina quashed Catherine's engagement for the time being....would love to have seen that conversation.

It was probably like all their other conversations where Selina tells Catherine she has to do something.  Catherine gets upset, caves and does what her mother asks. 

I'm wondering about Selina winning too. I don't know how long the general election is after these hearings, but they didn't put her administration in a good light. 

Did anyone else catch Dan calling *Gary* Kaiser Soze?

These hearings don't put her administration in a good light but how many voters are paying attention?  We know nothing about her opponent. We don't know how heated the political climate is.  Is this seen as a legitimate inquiry or does is it seen as a witch hunt even if there are legitimate reasons for the questions?  In this polarized society, something that might feel like a grand scandal inside of D.C. might barely register with voters who either don't find the topic very interesting or think the opposing political party is trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.  

Voters care about what matters to them.  This likely doesn't matter much to them so I would not find it unbelievable if she won.

So who was responsible for the Metadata leak and targeting families of dying children? Did the show ever say or was it actually Bill Ericson?

In the middle of the hearing, Ben was asked if he knew who was behind the data breach and he said that he really couldn't say.  That felt honest. I don't think anyone knows.  The focus was never on finding the perp, it was about finding the scapegoat.

• Love 1

Also, yes, with Bill being the goat, people might also think the matter is settled. It was a data breach, while not good, it's not like Selina ordered someone to be killed. So it might end up dying off in a couple of weeks. 

That was so funny, esp that Dan didn't want to spoil the movie. 

My impression was that it wasn't a matter of not wanting to spoil it... Rather, he had this whole metaphor worked out with Gary as Keyser Söze, he was looking forward to being so clever and impressive, and then the interrogator had never seen it, so he was suddenly deflated and couldn't use the comparison because it wouldn't mean anything.

• Love 7

Wow, I actually thought Gary did the best in the deposition. He was the only one to think to actually bring a lawyer! Go figure.

I want to watch this show a million times, so many great lines. Jonah`s millions of insults, Bill Erickson ranting about everyone wearing hooded robes, and yes, he took listening in high school. I know they were going to throw him under the bus. I`m ok with it. I was worried they would screw over poor sweet Richard. That would have been awful. Bill Erickson is just funny.

I actually thought "No one is buying what that dress is selling, Amy" right before Jonah commented on it. Oh God, Jonah and I are on the same page. That disturbs me. 

• Love 1

My impression was that it wasn't a matter of not wanting to spoil it... Rather, he had this whole metaphor worked out with Gary as Keyser Söze, he was looking forward to being so clever and impressive, and then the interrogator had never seen it, so he was suddenly deflated and couldn't use the comparison because it wouldn't mean anything.

Hmm. I'm not sure that's much different from how I saw it. I took it as he had this great comparison in mind, but she hadn't seen the film, so he was going to explain it relevant to his analogy, but then he didn't want to spoil it, so the whole thing just became "never mind." He could have explained it, but he didn't want to spoil it. I'll have to rewatch.

This was a funny episode, but boy did it remind me of a late episode of The Thick of It. I was waiting for one of the people to suddenly disappear and then it happened.

• Love 1
(edited)
Amy's dress was so bad, when Jonah pointed it out I was so happy.

I thought she looked adorable.  She was dressed kind of Amish.  It's just last week, I think, where I made the comment about how she always looks so severe and should change her style up.  The fact that I liked her with pastel makeup and this Amish dress makes me seriously question if I have weirdly strict notions about gender going on in my brain.  It also shows that Amy knows exactly how severe she comes off, and is probably very happy with it.

It also makes me think that the show very purposely keeps Anna Chlumsky in this look because she has a childish, adorable face and was a child star, so we'll always kind of see her like that.

I don't care whom they sacrifice as long as Kevin Dunn stays.

That's interesting. First, I wouldn't want to lose Dan, Sue, probably Richard, and definitely not Ken.  And probably not Amy either.  Just because it'd be too weird.  Oh my god, and Mike!   Who might even be my favourite.  I think what I'm realizing is Kevin Dunn is like 7th down my list.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

How does Selina stay president after this season?  I think she probably doesn't. 

But if she does not win that is it. Game over, series finale. She can not come back as Veep nor any other meaningful political position, not after she has been POTUS. I do not think watching her and her staff at the Meyer Foundation or Selina Meyer Presidential Library will be exciting at all.

• Love 1
“Jraq, Jizzy Gillespie, Jack and the Giant Jackoff, Gaylien, Tinkerballs, Wadzilla, One Erection”

“The Pointless Giant, The 60 Foot Virgin, Jimpanzee, Jonah Ono, Hagrid’s Nutsack, Scrotum Pole, Transgenderformers, 12 Years a Slave to Jerking Off, Benedict CumInHisOwnHand, Guyscraper, The Cloud Botherer, Supercalifragilisticexbialidickcheese, Teenage Mutant Ninja Asshole, Spewbacca”

Wonderful inspiration for future screen names, every last one of them!

• Love 2
(edited)

I watched this episode three times before finally figuring out who Mr. Wallace on the panel is--Neelix from Star Trek Voyager!

I still don't get what was going on with Ms. Bennett. Was she supposed to be helping Selina by distracting the panel? Did we already know she was Selina's friend, or was this a new idea introduced in this episode? I don't remember her. Why did she disappear at the end?

Edited by Sesquipedalia
  • Love 3

I still don't get what was going on with Ms. Bennett. Was she supposed to be helping Selina by distracting the panel? Did we already know she was Selina's friend, or was this a new idea introduced in this episode? I don't remember her. Why did she disappear at the end?

I don't remember her from previously, but yes, I think she was trying to burn committee time and blunt the inquiry by expanding it into other issues. She stayed away after this blew up in her face. Her attempt to introduce the salacious details of Jonah's harassment (which might have worked given the DC press corps) led to Richard exposing the real offense in an offhand remark. 

I love this show, it 's just really good comedy. I think this was my favorite episode because I've watched it about twice, the testimonies were priceless. Richard Splett, OMG  I just love him and the "Jonah Files" were awesome. Poor Jonah, Dan is such a prick, I love all these characters.

Also, is it me, or were they trying to show that Gary the "bag man" shouldn't be so underestimated? 

I was okay w/ Bill Ericsson being the scapegoat b/c I could never really figure out why he was brought into this administration to begin with.

He was originally a campaign manager for one of Selina's opponents. That opponent flamed out early in the primaries and Selena brought him on board in some type of advisory capacity but at the time Amy was still official campaign manager. Then after Amy quit Kent became the campaign manager so Bill Ericsson never really served any purpose on Selina's staff. 

After going back through some of the earlier season, I really wish Karen had been called up for one of these hearings. It was a packed episode as it was, but listening to her talk without saying anything under questionings would have made me smile.

• Love 4

Tall McCartney has got to be the lamest nickname ever.

Which is why you can be sure Jonah made it up for himself.

Yeah, I had no doubt that nickname came from him. I would love to have heard more of that list of nicknames.

I don't remember her from previously, but yes, I think she was trying to burn committee time and blunt the inquiry by expanding it into other issues. She stayed away after this blew up in her face. Her attempt to introduce the salacious details of Jonah's harassment (which might have worked given the DC press corps) led to Richard exposing the real offense in an offhand remark.

Oh, okay. Thanks for clarifying that. I found the reference to the friendship really confusing, but this makes sense.

The preview blurb made it look like at least part of the season finale next week is on election night.  I've got sads because I was hoping they'd save that for next year when the Real Life US election struggle would be going on in parallel.

Somehow, I don't think that the election results will be revealed in next week's episode. It could either be a cliffhanger or perhaps a case similar to the Bush/Gore situation. In any case, there's almost 3 months between Election Day and inauguration, so even if she doesn't win, there are still a few months' worth of stories to tell while she is still president for season 5. If the show is not renewed for a season 6, it would make sense for her to lose the election.

Wouldn't they HAVE to have Selina win the election? I mean, if she loses, she's not POTUS or Veep. The show kinda loses its point. She needs all these chuckleheads around her, so she needs a staff to make the show work. Unless the next president taps her as a Veep later on, when some scandal befalls his current Veep, and she's right back where she started. Making Selina POTUS has backed them into a bit of a corner. 

I do like the addition of Hugh Laurie. 

I miss Dan and Amy being in the inner circle. 

• Love 1

Other than the possible misuse of campaign funds, i don't really see how any of this is a crime.  It may be embarrassing to have the POTUS secretly lobby against her own bill.  But I don't think it's a crime.

I guess this too accurately mirrors real Washington to be that funny.  Investigate things that aren't crimes in order to trap someone into something that is a crime.

It's not a crime, like stealing a car crime. Had she just "asked" Amy and Dan to talk to a few of their contacts in congress about voting against the bill, then it's nothing. The fact that Gary screwed up and promised them payment raises a conflict of interest, of a sort, so it's unethical at worst. One could argue that the executive branch is trying to exert legislative power, for example. I wouldn't say it's impeachable, but I could see congress voting to censure the president. Which doesn't mean that much, but it could be damaging at an election. Dumping it all on a scapegoat removes Selina's influence from the whole thing and just comes off like typical greasy Washington politics. 

Like it was said, this might not actually be that big of news outside the beltway. 

I would love it if Selina initially lost, but then some voter fraud revealed she'd actually won. Republicans have been complaining irl of this nonexistent voter fraud for all these byzantine voting laws, so it would be ironic that it played out that way. 

Actually, if I know my civics, if there's a tie, then the presidency is voted on in the House, but each state only gets one vote. That would be kind of an awesome plot.