Type keyword(s) to search

Megyn Kelly and Fox News Speculation: Where the Talking Hits the Road

I'm not going to watch, but -- in the days following this broadcast -- if I encounter many people  who say things like "criticizing Josh's behavior typifies the War on Christianity" I will be so emotionally crushed I may have to rethink my 55 years of living as a devout Christian and follower of Jesus because I won't want to be in heaven with these people. I shall ask Jesus for a cloistered cloud. I truly will be that disillusioned with my brothers and sisters in Christ. 

• Love 11

I saw speculation in one of the other threads that they won't even use the word molestation, or that they will talk around what really happened. That won't surprise me from JB & Michelle, but i just saw my first promo for the interview on Fox and it said "molestation accusations". FWIW.

He made mistakes. 

What Suz said...also, they're both narcissists and they've had their asses kissed for a very long time now. If the interviewer goes after them at all, I don't think either one of them could handle that much cognitive dissonance that quickly.

They will try whining, charming, weeping, and playing dumb...but what I think we could see if they get their egos tweaked hard enough is the masks coming off. I can easily see JB getting pissed enough at this mere woman who dares to challenge him to blurt something ugly...and while Michelle may be smarter, she's in menopause and she's an adulation addict. Shit could get real.

We might even hear her real voice....

ETA: I'm just hoping against all odds that even if it goes all fluffy and useless, she won't be able to ignore the elephant in the room...or rather not in the room. He's a grown-ass man...why isn't he there?

Did Michelle actually use the word menopause? How do we know this?

I find it convenient that the two victims who are speaking are also the oldest and the married ones.   I guess we don't want to hurt the market value of the unmarried girls or create more outrage by mentioning the age of the youngest one.  I hate calculating people.  This is so cold and calculating.

• Love 15
(edited)

I'm not going to watch, but -- in the days following this broadcast -- if I encounter many people  who say things like "criticizing Josh's behavior typifies the War on Christianity" I will be so emotionally crushed I may have to rethink my 55 years of living as a devout Christian and follower of Jesus because I won't want to be in heaven with these people. I shall ask Jesus for a cloistered cloud. I truly will be that disillusioned with my brothers and sisters in Christ. 

I certainly hope you don't have to come to this conclusion. It's astounding to me that the Duggars themselves don't see what extremely bad pr they have produced and continue to produce for their faith through this horrible saga.

And if other people don't see it, then I am really really baffled.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8

I find it convenient that the two victims who are speaking are also the oldest and the married ones.   I guess we don't want to hurt the market value of the unmarried girls or create more outrage by mentioning the age of the youngest one.  I hate calculating people.  This is so cold and calculating.

THIS!!! You win the internet today!!

• Love 3
(edited)

Can someone tell me if the interview is tonight? On Fox News network? What time? Sorry for the questions, I'm a little behind. Thanks in advance!

Edited to add: Nevermind, I've got it. Thanks anyway! See y'all after while!

Edited by farmgal4

Has TLC really thought this through about another show or continuing 19 kids??  How can they go anywhere or film anything without a merry little band of protestors following them and screaming "incest promoters" on camera.

Between all the groups they've heaved stones at (gays, transgendered, survivors) who wouldn't show up to protest?  I'm shocked at the lack of foresight TLC has.

• Love 8

I have to hand it to whomever decided that Jill and Jessa are to be interviewed; that's a really clever move. Because while most sane people have no problem "attacking" Josh or Jim Bob and Michelle it will be much harder to criticise the girls, no matter what they say, without looking like an insensitive douche. They are the survivors of the abuse and it will be a tough balancing act to point out the faulty mechanics and sick ideology behind their forgiveness without it sounding like an attack on them or like their experiences and feelings are being disregarded and minimized.

I think we can manage that balancing act here, because we are all aware of Gothard's teachings and the patriarchal, victim blaming bollocks of their religion, but I do wonder if the media will be able to, or have the guts, to do the same or if they will fold.

• Love 13

First look at The Interview (cross-posted from the Media thread):

https://www.facebook.com/FoxNews/videos/vb.15704546335/10153327081996336/?type=2&theater

Note Megyn in her Republican Red, well-covered on top. I hope her knees aren't showing (as they usually are). 

And yes, Michelle, you are a failure as a parent. With a capital F. 

One thing that stands out to me in this clip:  Michelle spins it that JOSH was the one that came forward and confessed what he had done.  That is NOT true!  If you read the police report, the GIRLS told the parents.  UGH!!!!!  They're trying to white-wash what Josh did.  Absolutely reprehensible!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad the Stanley Cup Finals are on tonight so I won't watch this interview live, in real time.  I have a feeling I'd be yelling "LIES!" at the TV during the whole interview.  UGH

• Love 8

Yeah, I don't like the bad choices line.    Also, the interviewer called Josh a young boy. I disagree, at his age he would be considered a young man imo.

young teen is ok.. but young boy is stretching this. It pretty much signals Megyn is going for the sympathy angle.

• Love 1

Umm - maybe off topic a bit, but those extensions Megyn is wearing are pretty terrible.

You're right.  They look like scraps left over from Kate Gosselin Collection.

• Love 11

Ugh - I did it. Set the DVR to record. I have never watched FOX news.... It's like a train wreck, you can't look away

Same here. I don't know if I can stomach it, but I'll have it in case I decide to watch it. I had no idea if we even got Fox News, but apparently we do.

I have to hand it to whomever decided that Jill and Jessa are to be interviewed; that's a really clever move. Because while most sane people have no problem "attacking" Josh or Jim Bob and Michelle it will be much harder to criticise the girls, no matter what they say, without looking like an insensitive douche. They are the survivors of the abuse and it will be a tough balancing act to point out the faulty mechanics and sick ideology behind their forgiveness without it sounding like an attack on them or like their experiences and feelings are being disregarded and minimized.

I think we can manage that balancing act here, because we are all aware of Gothard's teachings and the patriarchal, victim blaming bollocks of their religion, but I do wonder if the media will be able to, or have the guts, to do the same or if they will fold.

Worse than that, they are essentially saying "if his victim's don't judge him, then neither can YOU".  It's so sick.  It's perverted and twisted because I don't doubt they forgave him, but much like water boarding, it was probably pretty coerced.  I can't even articulate what a giant mind fuck this is to all his victims.  They were used by Josh and now they are being used by their parents in much the same way.

• Love 16

I hope Jill and Jessa don't feel pressured to say they forgive Smuggar. How could they?

These two are poster children so, they probably volunteered. Setting an example of forgiveness ect. Any spinoff will just continue to be a Gothard platform. I would love to be surprised though.

• Love 3

If Megyn and the Duggars manage to make it through this interview without mentioning "The Ebil Librul Agenda!!11", I will eat an entire pan of tator tot casserole with a side of pickles and then douse my hair with Aquanet.

• Love 9

No defense of "he was just a young boy/young teen" will ever be valid to me. I knew around the time I was in preschool that my "private parts" were not to be touched by others and that I likewise should keep my hands to myself. Maybe my mother was hypervigilant in teaching this lesson, but it's something I knew by the age of 4. So I absolutely do not believe that a teenager could not grasp the lesson a preschooler had no trouble wrapping their head around. Nice try, Duggars.

• Love 8
(edited)

Do you think they are getting paid for the interview ?

I would venture a guess and say that they are certainly being compensated financially for this interview, and I would also guess that it's a very healthy compensation. I just feel cheated already by expecting this interview would have taken place on 'neutral ground' and not in the comfortable surroundings of their own home with all their children present in the background somewhere or peering over the railing from upstairs. This interview hasn't aired yet and already I'm getting very negative vibes just from the fact that Megyn Kelly appears to be very at ease in the environment. This is not neutral reporting by any stretch of the imagination.

Okay FOX, you win this round. You bought it, own it now.

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 5

Duggar victim Jessa Seewald defends her brother

Jessa said what her brother did was “very wrong” but went to say, “I do want to speak up in his defense against people who are calling him a child molester or a pedophile or a rapist, some people are saying. I’m like that is so overboard and a lie really, I mean people get mad at me for saying that but I can say this because I was one of the victims.”

• Love 1
(edited)

I am speechless here.Gobsmacked.I cannot believe they are trotting out those girls and yet leaving the molester off camera. Those girls are going to discuss the worst thing that likely ever happened to them in their lives..on camera. Likely to appease their parents. Jessa downplaying it with her southern sass.Thank god i don't have that channel. I am beyond sickened. I guess those girls decided they kinda like the Uggs and the MacBooks and those goddamned $30000 registries. This is not victim blaming by the way. I now feel that this bunch needs to just take the famewhore prize from the Kardashians, who at least KNOW what they are. Me..who has honestly never hated a person in my entire life..I HATE JB and MEchelle Duggar.

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 10

So I assume that a lot of the stuff that we've heard about recently involving Jes and Jil is part of the impending "story lines" they've been working on for their damnable spin-off? Like the otherwise very hard to explain higher-education-loathing Duggar clan's en masse attendance to applaud Ben's graduation ceremony and the Dillard decision to go to Nepal?

I think the thing that bothers me most about this is that these two soon-to-be-outed-forgivers-of-Josh have been living in a completely false world for the past nine years or so and that I believe has to have warped their concepts of everything. It's difficult enough to think straight and feel honestly when you're in a situation in which you've been brainwashed. And it has to be 10 times worse when the brainwashing is compounded by the demand to constantly shape your life and your "countenance" to create "good tv" and uphold your tv image. Raises a lot of questions for me about this new tv project. Like -- Do Jill and Derick have real intentions to serve in Nepal, or is it mostly a plan they came up with to go their with the tv crew as a way to make their show less than excruciatingly boring?

And now both girls are going to say that they've gotten over the abuse incident and that it's firmly in the past for them. But in their situation there's no way in the world that they could know that -- Given the lives they've led, I would bet my house that they haven't the slightest clue about who they actually are or how they truly feel about anything. Especially something as huge as having been molested in childhood by a brother. As far as I know, most people don't even begin to feel and process traumatic situations until they've left environments like the one these two are utterly enmeshed in. But now they're going to say they're past it and launch a cute Brady-Brides tv show that'll subliminally send other abused people the very bad message that they too should just get over it, like Jessa and Jill. And what happens when Jinger comes to visit? I guess they'll tell her not to cry about bad things in her life the way she did at Jessa's wedding, since that would get in the way of the image they'll be portraying in the new show. Once again, "reality" tv will force them to live their real lives falsely.

And having run from 19 Kids & Self-righteously Pontificating, how many advertisers are going to feel comfortable supporting this charade?

• Love 8
(edited)

Wonder if they will offer an excuse to explain why Josh isn't being interviewed. Maybe they'll say he's "too distraught." Or they'll play it as him being thedoting husband not wanting to leave his pregnant wife's side (not to worry, Smugs...they can Skype you from the gutter or wherever it is you're hiding). I bet he wishes he was a typical celebrity right about now- he could slink off to rehab and wait for the smoke to clear.

Edited by Katydid
  • Love 2

Wait, when he comes to tell them what he did, they are devastated because... their son made "really bad choices" and they feel like terrible parents. OK, glad to clear up what the f*** they are devastated about.

• Love 3

I won't watch the interview.  It's nothing but the Duggars trying to save their show.  There will be no truth, starting with the fact that Josh came to them, when we know that one of the girls told.  As far as Jill and Jessa speaking, they can only say what they've been told they MUST say, and hope for at least a spin-off.  They're both married now, so the "purity" thing no longer matters, right?

When I think of scared little girls too frightened to cry out while the big brother whom they trusted groped them, I feel sick in my stomach.

• Love 6

Wait, when he comes to tell them what he did, they are devastated because... their son made "really bad choices" and they feel like terrible parents. OK, glad to clear up what the f*** they are devastated about.

Yes, that was what upset them. So, having learned that they might be failures as parents, they did the logical thing: pumped out five (plus Jubilee) more children.

Because if you feel you've failed the first 14 -- Maybe by not having paid adequate attention to some of them? -- the really smart and godly thing to do is to have five more to ignore while you're busy planning reality tv 'storylines" and making political pronouncements. Right.

• Love 7

"Jessa said what her brother did was “very wrong” but went to say, “I do want to speak up in his defense against people who are calling him a child molester or a pedophile or a rapist, some people are saying. I’m like that is so overboard and a lie really, I mean people get mad at me for saying that but I can say this because I was one of the victims.”

That poor young woman is beyond sad.   Look what perverted and ignorant parents have done to these kids.

• Love 12
Jessa said what her brother did was “very wrong” but went to say, “I do want to speak up in his defense against people who are calling him a child molester or a pedophile or a rapist, some people are saying. I’m like that is so overboard and a lie really, I mean people get mad at me for saying that but I can say this because I was one of the victims.”

Aaaaaaand, there it is.

• Love 6

Survivors react to abuse in many different ways. Defending their abusers is certainly one of them. It may be shocking, it may make you angry, but it happens - remember survivors feel many different things and it can be hard to process all of those feelings. Their environment probably does not help matters.

It's hard to draw a bright line rule on this, but we're going to err on the side of hiding stuff that we feel is attacking the survivors, or editing out things we feel go too far.  Meanwhile, everyone take a DEEP BREATH, and remember that Jessa (and Jill, and others) suffered abuse.

• Love 10

I know this probably doesn't belong here, but now with what Jessa said.

I cannot imagine how any victim and survivors must feel reading this and I am sorry if its causing you more pain and anguish.

I am seething about this.

• Love 7

I am not surprised at Jessa's response. She has always been very defensive of her family. I think in general, she is in denial and very insecure about life. Maybe she has really forgiven Josh, but I have my doubts.

• Love 1

Prepare yourself - you're going to hear it.  I saw a clip earlier, and this scandal is being blamed on a conspiracy from the left.  As a member of the left, I want to say - yeah, we tend to object to child molestation, why don't you?  I contemplated tuning in (I've NEVER tuned to Fox "News"), but the clip has confirmed that I cannot handle it.

Don't let these people drive you from your faith - they're not worth it.

• Love 14
(edited)

Survivors react to abuse in many different ways. Defending their abusers is certainly one of them. It may be shocking, it may make you angry, but it happens - remember survivors feel many different things and it can be hard to process all of those feelings. Their environment probably does not help matters.

It's hard to draw a bright line rule on this, but we're going to err on the side of hiding stuff that we feel is attacking the survivors, or editing out things we feel go too far. Meanwhile, everyone take a DEEP BREATH, and remember that Jessa (and Jill, and others) suffered abuse.

This. I can't feel rage for her defending her brother, i mean, who would want to think of your own sibling as a child molester? Who would want to honestly say, to the public, that your eldest brother is an abuser who molested you as a young girl? Even without Gothard's influence, a lot of victims tend to defend the perp at first. Its a coping mechanism, if he's not a molester, you didn't get molested.

I'm pretty suprised she even said anything.

Edited by aethera
Removed 'pedophile'
  • Love 5

On another note, it makes me sad that on this and other forums I read, posters have taken care not to name the victims. To protect their privacy. As we should have.

Their own parents are now contributing to outing two of them. They may be grown married women now, but I don't buy that this was entirely their idea. JB and Michelle should feel devastated that strangers on the Internet took more interest in their daughters' privacy.

• Love 10