Type keyword(s) to search

Megyn Kelly and Fox News Speculation: Where the Talking Hits the Road

Wow, that clip.. Josh referred to as oldest 'child' not son. What does Clinton have to do with this? This could be a gongshow. Kinda can't wait to see the comments on here. This issue is the release of the document? That is an issue, but it isn't the main issue. They also seemed surprised that the MEDIA is FEASTING on a story. Haha, Fox themselves are feasting on this with the interview.

I have heard of Fox News and their conservative approach, but wow, had no idea.

• Love 4

This issue is the release of the document? That is an issue, but it isn't the main issue.

It is if you're trying to control the news cycle.  Also, it fits with the us-against-them ideology these people so love to employ.  Also, this is Fox News, this is their stock in trade.  They still honestly believe that the Culture Wars are raging on that they have a shot at winning them. 

• Love 3

Yeah, if she's out blaming the "liberal media" for this mess, then it'll be another softball interview. I'm sure there will be tears, hand-holding, and talk of praying and forgiveness. What there won't be is any discussion of whether the victims received any counseling, whether TLC knew about any of this when JB was shopping the show to them, and where in the H3LL Josh is since going underground.

I will be curious to see if the girls end their social media blackout after the interview airs.

• Love 8

Yeah, if she's out blaming the "liberal media" for this mess, then it'll be another softball interview. 

And the over-under line on Lena Dunham being mentioned is set at 4:30 into the interview.

• Love 8

How do we know the victims didn't want this released?  Because JShell and JimBoob told them to say that?  Because they know better than to say "I am glad it is out!  What he did to me was horrible!"  Who talked to the victims?

Honestly, I don't think I can afford the amount of liquor that will be required to participate in this drinking game.  I will have to go for jumping jacks or push-ups, which are better for me any way.

• Love 16

Barbedwire - I agree - my liquor bill could break the bank based on the little bit of info we have heard on how Megyn Kelly intends to approach things.  It will be a worthless interview. Fox should have called their bluff and told them NO pre-written/submitted questions. Fox should have insisted on a REAL interview. Of course, I know that would never have happened. JB gets his way.

• Love 3
(edited)

In her outrage over the release of the police report (saying that Josh was a minor and the police chief was wrong to release it...JB and MEE-chelle will eat that up with a spoon), she DID manage to express outrage at how transparent the redacting of the victim's names were, and that it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out their identity. THAT I agree with. But protecting the Special Snowflake and his enabling parents? No way. 

I have SOME hope. Not much, but some. 

But making this a subject of the interview is a brilliant deflection move by the poor persecuted Duggars. Totally brilliant. And probably foolproof. Heck, their Very Special announcement might be that they're suing the City over release of the report.

It's awesome, really.

My admiration for them is now quite similar to my opinion of cockroaches. I hate the dirty little buggers, but I totally respect their ability to survive.

At this point, go ahead and sue. As long as whatever monetary award goes to the victims and Josh's children, and not to line JB pockets (yeah, I know....dream on), if someone's rights were violated, pursue it. However, the public can't unsee what has been shown. We're not going to be able to look at Josh and not see a disgusting, doughy faced pervert who assaulted his own sisters. We're not going to be able to watch Jim Bob and Michelle and not think that they're the worst parents EVER. TLC is not going to be able to just pick up where they left off and have the show go on. 

The Official Duggar Drink game

Fill a 16 ounce cup with your frosty beverage and the shot glass with hard liquor, and let the games begin.

The rules are simple. Every time the Duggars use one of the following words, you have to drink:
Jesus – God – Christ – pray – forgive – sin – soul – heart – lust – mistake – love – heal

If they use any of the following phrases, you have to do a shot:

Only a child – just 14 years old – asked for forgiveness – sought God’s love – a long time ago – private family matter

If Megyn Kelley says “heartbreaking,” the first person to finish their drink gets to make a new rule.

The first person to pass out gets “I love the Duggars” written on their forehead with a Sharpie.

The last person to vomit, considering the interview is undoubtedly intended to show support for a confessed child molester, wins.

What the hell? Are you TRYING to kill us all? :-)

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 8

It's a misdemeanor charge, and you can't sue someone for the truth. So that isn't likely to happen from the Duggars. But that doesn't mean the report should have been handed over, redacted or not. Or more of it should have been redacted.

(edited)

GELM - Where I live the charges against Josh could have been the Juvenile equv.of Adult felony charges. His case would have been heard in Family/Juvenile Court and he could have spent time in a County Juvenile Det.Center until the charges were adjudicated. However, since the authorities were not notified when it first happened and a police report was never filed the second time, Josh is off the hook. Most kids would have a juvenile record for something like this.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 5

I set my DVR to record the interview. I'm certain it will have many, many softballs. Jim Bob and Michelle are the REAL victims, etc.

Last month, you'd told me that incestuous molestation wouldn't instantly end a reality show I wouldn't have believed you. Now, with my faith in humanity damaged, I figure we'll see the first on-camera reality tv murder in five years. And no one will question it, let alone Megyn Kelley.

• Love 10

Under the Arkansas State Freedom of Information Act, State Police investigations are fair game under certain circumstances:

Q. Must the contents of a State Police investigation be
disclosed to the news media after the investigation is
closed, is not continuing, and is not part of a larger
investigation?
A. Yes. Opinion No. 90-305.

If the request was made, the agency had no choice but to hand it over.  It's not a matter of "should".  The law is clear on this.  

As for whether or not it should have been redacted better:

Q. What type of information contained in a personnel
file is exempt from disclosure under the “clearly unwarranted
invasion of personal privacy” exemption?
A. Examples of exempted information include: home and
personal cell phone numbers, date of birth, religious affiliation,
information about family life, welfare payments,
legitimacy of children, marital status, payroll deductions,
social security numbers, credit union statements and other
financial records, insurance coverage, and medical records.
Ark. Code Ann. § 25-19-105(b)(13); Opinion Nos. 2006-
225 (and opinions cited therein), 93-076, 87-115.

I think, in this situation, there is definitely a case that it should have been redacted better.

• Love 4
Can't wait to see what Megyn wears. Hopefully something very defrauding.

I'd show up with permed hair extensions, a floor-length denim skirt and flip flops. Just to be an asshole.

• Love 14

umm, so drawing attention to it on a national news network will help the victims keep their privacy how? Wow viewers will have to be sheep to believe the Duggars are doing the interview because of their victims feelings.

The trouble is the Duggars leghumping "fan base" is entirely made up of sheep, totally and completely. Sheep who will most likely believe whatever swill Boob & Me-chelle shovel at them. Let's face it, there isn't a Mensa card or a Phi Beta Kappa key among this crowd - not a single one. 

• Love 8

Oh come on - it's not the Duggars doing the interview that are keeping the story alive. If they say nothing, they are in the wrong. If they do a softball interview, they are in the wrong. If they cry and plead for mercy, most of us honestly aren't going to believe them and still will think the show should end. At this point, the story is live, period. They are almost incidental to it.

• Love 2

Oh come on - it's not the Duggars doing the interview that are keeping the story alive. If they say nothing, they are in the wrong. If they do a softball interview, they are in the wrong. If they cry and plead for mercy, most of us honestly aren't going to believe them and still will think the show should end. At this point, the story is live, period. They are almost incidental to it.

I agree, to a certain degree.  They could easily just sit on their hands and shut up and let everyone lose their collective minds over Caitlyn Jenner, take the summer off, and very quietly continue on with the show and the vast majority of people would be none the wiser to the fact that they were indeed on the television again.  If TLC didn't advertise the show, how many people would actually know it was on?  Most likely the core demographic who is going to believe them anyway.  

But, they are insisting on trying to control this narrative.  Hence, the softball interview with a friendly newsertainment channel that is going to allow them to use this as yet another opportunity for them to display what fantastic Christians they are because they forgave their prodigal son, and now the Liberal Media is persecuting them for not casting him out.  Because, much like the show, this is part of their ministry.  

• Love 10

Yeah, if she's out blaming the "liberal media" for this mess, then it'll be another softball interview. I'm sure there will be tears, hand-holding, and talk of praying and forgiveness. What there won't be is any discussion of whether the victims received any counseling, whether TLC knew about any of this when JB was shopping the show to them, and where in the H3LL Josh is since going underground.

I will be curious to see if the girls end their social media blackout after the interview airs.

Me too since they are so used to being in the spotlight I so wonder how they are taking all this in. I don't think they can hide for the rest of their lives. Also out of sight out of mind does not work well if Jessa expects people to gift her presents for her baby.

• Love 2

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/megyn-kelly-previews-duggar-interview-not-going-to-be-a-cross-examination/

Has a link to what Megyn said on her show...

Any hope I had of this being a real interview is gone and I'll be stocking up on Vodka shots instead. 

It is all I can do to not call her a few of the names circulating in my head right now.

She's heading up the Duggars' Rehabilitation Tour right now. Her family must be so proud.

• Love 5

Given the severity of what happened, I did have a sliver of hope that this matter would not be politicized, but it looks like that boat has sailed.  I don't blame Fox News entirely, if the shoe was on the other foot MSNBC would be doing the exact same thing.  Now that the curtain has been pulled back on the family,I hope that this will provide a clearer path should any of these children choose to pursue a life outside of the compound.  

I don't see any scenario where JB & M will come out with a favorable result.  All of the tears and forgiveness and prayer cannot trump the fact that 5 children were abused and none of the adults involved did anything to protect them.  If this is meant to be a trial balloon for TLC to make a decision on future Duggar relationships, it will hopefully cement cutting the cord with them.

• Love 7

It is all I can do to not call her a few of the names circulating in my head right now.

She's heading up the Duggars' Rehabilitation Tour right now. Her family must be so proud.

As a mom of three younger children, I expected more from her...but this is Fox News and they are her bosses. I do think this interview could wreck her career especially with the commentary on her page, her show's page, and the Network's page from people who appear to actually be viewers not just the standards rubberneckers who only showed up for the drama. 

• Love 2

Why are Jim Bob and Michelle being interviewed at all? Everyone knows what they're going to say; Megan Kelly has made it clear that her intent is to set them up to say those things; and they can duck any topic they want by saying they can't speak for the victims and/or they can't speak for their son. I'm so tired of this story.

• Love 13

Given the severity of what happened, I did have a sliver of hope that this matter would not be politicized, but it looks like that boat has sailed.

Yeah, it was pretty much a done deal.  

Within half an hour of this breaking, people were already pulling the "but so and so from the other side of the aisle did THIS and the Liberal Media DID NOTHING!", comparing Lena Dunham to this situation.  That sort of thinking is a personal pet peeve of mine (right up there with misspelled and poorly punctuated internet memes and inspirational Facebook quotes) as it turns it into some sort of a competition instead of acknowledging that they're both wrong and the severity of wrongness doesn't diminish the fact that they're both wrong (and gross and icky and make me want to go take a shower).  

We're also dealing with people who consider politics a part of their ministry, so the two are so heavily intertwined they wouldn't be able to remove one for the other if they tried (also a major pet peeve of mine, separating Church from State).  

• Love 13

I posted this in the Media thread, reposting here:

So Megyn Kelly thinks we are interested in "their story"... they have been telling this story for a decade on their show. so, they will tell it again? and how this incident 12 years ago is a blip in their story that is now being exploited to demonize them? and how god brought this into their lives to teach them about forgiveness and how it has brought them closer to god and each other? oh, hells no, I am not interested in this story, at all... :(

• Love 12

I am looking forward to seeing how "the other side" counters this. CNN and MSNBC have been critical, and there's always the awesome Bill Maher and Jon Stewart, Jon Oliver, Larry Wilmore etc. I haven't heard of any of the mainstream late night guys saying anything yet, but maybe they have. I think I'll go take a look at YouTube...

• Love 3

I would love for Megyn to ask one, single yes or no ONLY question of Jim Bob and Michelle:

1. Has Josh stopped abusing females?

Yes or no answer only.

What I want to know is how can we trust a "yes" answer? Is there someone other than a person with the last name Duggar (either by birth or marriage) who isn't talking about "forgiveness" and/or an objective, actually certified therapist who worked extensively with Josh and is willing to put his/her professional reputation and license on the line for his reputation?

That's what I want to know.

• Love 6
(edited)

MSNBC has a liberal bias on what it reports, but that's different than making up news or lying to your viewers. 

as well as a conservative former Republican congressman anchoring their morning show, so maybe the liberal bias is more by comparison? Not far right doesn't equal liberal. 

Edited by Julia
  • Love 11

I am looking forward to seeing how "the other side" counters this. CNN and MSNBC have been critical, and there's always the awesome Bill Maher and Jon Stewart, Jon Oliver, Larry Wilmore etc. I haven't heard of any of the mainstream late night guys saying anything yet, but maybe they have. I think I'll go take a look at YouTube...

I want to see Jon Stewart take this story on so badly...

• Love 11

I can't bring myself to give Megyn any ratings boost for the interview, not one minute of ratings will come from my TV especially after reading that it will be a puff piece...I'll have to read it here. Need one of you to refrain from the drinking game so I can get a coherent report.

• Love 10

I'm so bummed about the way this 'interview' is clearly headed. I initially had some hope that Kelly might actually dig into the Duggars and ask some piercing questions. Now I see that it's just going to be a puff piece, and I think Kelly's reputation is going to take a serious hit as a result. I won't be watching.

• Love 9

What I want to know is how can we trust a "yes" answer?

Agree, and that's never going to be answered to my satisfaction. 

But a yes answer is also an admission.  With one word, it's an admission.  

• Love 4
(edited)

Abandon hope all ye who DVR here

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/02/fox-news-why-isnt-media-scrutinizing-how-josh-duggars-police-file-got-leaked

Megyn Kelly definitely has NO intention of doing a "real" interview she is going to softball this all the way.

The worst part is if it ends up the way it sounds then we know the Duggar supporters will be all over the I told you so's and the It's just jealous anti-christians rhetoric, it'll give them fuel for their defenses.

I'm still going to watch - I feel like if only the people who agree with them watch then there's nobody able to say what a pile of bull the interview was.

One part of the article:

Kelly also teases her interview with the Duggars, which will air Wednesday.“This isn’t going to be a cross-examination of a family It’s going to be an interview. I want to hear their story,” she said. “And I think America wants to hear their story now.”

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 2
(edited)

I posted this in the Media thread, reposting here:

So Megyn Kelly thinks we are interested in "their story"... they have been telling this story for a decade on their show. so, they will tell it again? and how this incident 12 years ago is a blip in their story that is now being exploited to demonize them? and how god brought this into their lives to teach them about forgiveness and how it has brought them closer to god and each other? oh, hells no, I am not interested in this story, at all... :(

This. Exactly. Seems to me it's probably clear to everyone that these folks have only one story, and they've already told it a bazillion times. So does anybody really crave hearing it again? Likely no. .... Now this is marketing talk, so I wonder who they're marketing to? Do they really expect to bring in people who aren't familiar with the Duggars to tune in to hear this story -- and become Duggar fans? Are they hoping that Duggar fans who aren't regular Fox News viewers will be so happy to have their heroes given a platform that they'll become regular Fox news viewers? Or what?

Because it seems to me that it will just be the usual thing for anybody who is aware of the Duggars. And if somebody is not very aware of the Duggars, are they reallly likely to see "their story" as being an adequate and appropriate response to child molestation and its neglectful aftermath? I'm not sure what anybody thinks they're accomplishing here.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12

Abandon hope all ye who DVR here

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/02/fox-news-why-isnt-media-scrutinizing-how-josh-duggars-police-file-got-leaked

Megyn Kelly definitely has NO intention of doing a "real" interview she is going to softball this all the way.

The worst part is if it ends up the way it sounds then we know the Duggar supporters will be all over the I told you so's and the It's just jealous anti-christians rhetoric, it'll give them fuel for their defenses.

I'm still going to watch - I feel like if only the people who agree with them watch then there's nobody able to say what a pile of bull the interview was.

One part of the article:

Kelly also teases her interview with the Duggars, which will air Wednesday.“This isn’t going to be a cross-examination of a family It’s going to be an interview. I want to hear their story,” she said. “And I think America wants to hear their story now.”

The only real hope I have left now is that her approach to this interview will backfire - BIG TIME. On her, on Fox and most especially on the Duggars. And that the disapproval, shock, criticism, shame and condemnation of millions will rain down on them all - in Biblical amounts.

• Love 19

America wants to hear their story. . Oh bitch please. All we want to hear is that the victims are getting real help and a way out of the circus they're living in. Oh and how the fuck these idiot "parents" could let this happen and not do a fucking think about it..

• Love 19

All I want to know is who will get the MUI , mowing under the influence after playing the drinking game.

Woman arrested tonight, wearing a bikini , screaming Nike and blessed in her front yard.

She claimed her name was Dosie Juggars.

• Love 15

We sure as hell won't hear about what the parents did for the victims. That presupposes that there WERE victims. They seem to be backpedaling all the way to: Josh was framed by the ebil librul police, who in turn released a report to the ebil librul media!!!11111 

I suspect we're going to be fed a shit ton of bullshit. But then again, when have Mere and Pere Duggar been truthful with the public, pretty much ever? Their entire lifestyle is based on coverups and lies. 

• Love 10

Just watched the clip of Megyn Kelly and all I can say is she is so twisted. Even if what she said about Clinton were true, two wrongs don't make a right. But what did I expect from a "journalist" who relies on logical fallacies, half truths, and propaganda. She really pisses me off.

• Love 8
(edited)

As a mom of three younger children, I expected more from her...but this is Fox News and they are her bosses. I do think this interview could wreck her career especially with the commentary on her page, her show's page, and the Network's page from people who appear to actually be viewers not just the standards rubberneckers who only showed up for the drama.

I agree. If she ever wants to be taken seriously outside of the Fox News bubble, she's in trouble if this interview goes the way it sounds it will. She could use this interview to call the Duggars out and be admired by many on both sides of the political spectrum. A real, hard-hitting interview could make her a big network anchor one day, etc. I have a couple of guy friends who watch her show purely because they think she's "hot." Here's a chance to be more than that hot Fox News chick.

My guess is that even if Kelly wants to do such an interview, Fox execs won't let her.

I almost wonder if she drew the short straw and ended up having to interview them. Perhaps the Duggars agreed to the interview only with Fox News. The Fox execs were left wondering which well-known anchor from the network would be best to interview them. Shepard Smith? No, he's gay. Geraldo? Ew, no one wants him talking about any kind of underage sex scandal. Bill O'Reilly? No, he's had some scandals that were sexual in nature of his own. Hannity? He probably would be smart enough to refuse & have the clout to do so. Same with Greta. So who got stuck with it? Megyn Kelly- she's the newest to the prime time weekday shows (having one of her own anyway) and you know, she's a woman. Let's the throw the new girl under the bus. (I know she's been on Fox News for a while, but she hasn't even had her own show for two years yet.)

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 6

My big deal about this interview and scandal is that they openly speak out on every topic known to man- robo calls, etc. (gays, abortion, transgender and the list goes on).  And yet now, they STFU.  That tells me something.

Silence...  

Why is Joshie boy and staring aimlessly adoringly Anna not included in the interview?  I don't think Anna should have any part of it, but she would never be allowed to be absent.  

Dude- stop having your parents protect you!!!

Josh needs to man up!

• Love 18
(edited)

My big deal about this interview and scandal is that they openly speak out on every topic known to man- robo calls, etc. (gays, abortion, transgender and the list goes on). And yet now, they STFU. That tells me something.

Silence...

Why is Joshie boy and staring aimlessly adoringly Anna not included in the interview? I don't think Anna should have any part of it, but she would never be allowed to be absent.

Dude- stop having your parents protect you!!!

Josh needs to man up!

I couldn't agree more.

If Josh is old enough to make a living off of propagating hate towards LGBT people, he's old enough to defend himself/speak for himself now.

• Love 19

Just watched the clip of Megyn Kelly and all I can say is she is so twisted. Even if what she said about Clinton were true, two wrongs don't make a right. But what did I expect from a "journalist" who relies on logical fallacies, half truths, and propaganda. She really pisses me off.

Okay, instead of drinking, I'll count the logical fallacies used by both Megyn and the Duggars. I suspect they'll have plenty of them in play. 

• Love 8
(edited)

The deflection from Josh's actions/parents' actions onto the fact that the report was released & compromised the victims' privacy is really irking me.

I get that the survivors had a right to privacy and now everyone knows what happened to them. I'm sure that they may be suffering and reliving this once again. Even if the release of the report was illegal, though, the fact remains that no report would have been all over gossip and news sites had Josh not sexually assaulted the girls or the family not be on TV. Josh is still the person who set this into motion (and his parents then agreed to be on TV knowing this was in their closet).

But I feel this BIG focus/deflection on the fact that the survivors were identified is sending the message again that the survivors are in the wrong - as if they should feel ashamed this happened to them. It's as if Fox News and the family are saying (without explicitly saying) that it's worse to be outed as a survivor of sexual assault than to be the person who did the sexual assault or parents who did nothing to address the sexual assaults.

I hope what I'm trying to say makes sense. I'm having a hard time putting it into words.

• Love 13

All I want to know is who will get the MUI , mowing under the influence after playing the drinking game.

Woman arrested tonight, wearing a bikini , screaming Nike and blessed in her front yard.

She claimed her name was Dosie Juggars.

Sounds like "Dosie" took a pretty heavy dose.

• Love 2

Okay, instead of drinking, I'll count the logical fallacies used by both Megyn and the Duggars. I suspect they'll have plenty of them in play. 

Maybe you can help them get into the Guinness Book of World Records: The most logical fallacies ever recorded in a single sentence.

I can see that record falling in the first 10 minutes.

• Love 4

Since one church has already pulled out from a future visit from the Duggars, I'm wondering if this interview is going to have churches doing the same thing in the future---like watching the public's opinion and then reacting by cancelling. The Lexington church probably made a smart move by doing it so quickly. 

• Love 2