Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
David T. Cole

Favorite Commercials

13 hours ago, spiderpig said:

OK, I'm Bahstonian by marriage and the new Hyundai "Smaht Pahk" spot just cracks us up. 

Also a Bostonian cracking the heck up at this commercial. I’ve watched it an embarrassing number of times in the last 24 hours alone.

• Laugh 2

1 hour ago, Dani-Ellie said:

Also a Bostonian cracking the heck up at this commercial. I’ve watched it an embarrassing number of times in the last 24 hours alone.

The first time you saw it, did you do a doubletake when Big Papi stuck his head out the window?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

The CEO of WeatherTech car accessories company has a dog named Scout.  Last summer, Scout was diagnosed with cancer, and was only given a month to live.  The CEO took Scout to the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine, where they were able to fix him.  So the CEO has paid $6 million for a Super Bowl ad where he thanks the vets, and started a program where people can donate to veterinary schools.

That is awesome.  Thank you for posting the video.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, spiderpig said:

The first time you saw it, did you do a doubletake when Big Papi stuck his head out the window?

A little bit, yeah! I was also marveling at how absolutely perfect the "hey, how ah ya?" "Hey, good, how ah you?" in the beginning was.

10 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

The CEO of WeatherTech car accessories company has a dog named Scout.

Two years ago, I was down at the IMSA sports car races in Sebring, FL - WeatherTech is a big sponsor of the series and a couple of cars. I saw a dog sitting in the WeatherTech car in the garage area before the race - I didn't know who it was at the time, but it looks like it probably was Scout.

JM_2018_03_16_Sebring_Continental_Tire_C

• Like 9

I love that one and the one with the "commercial" for Lonnie's Lumber looking just like a commercial for a lumber business until you see wood being chucked and yep its the wood chucks.

I love it when the random guy appears in the background.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 4

Oh, that's funny!  I can't pick a favorite part, but the little helmet on the groundhog is a contender.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Screw the Super Bowl commercials, we have our winner:

Great commercial. I'm almost more impressed they found the original wallpaper from his room. I've been looking for that for years. Probably just got an artist to paint it.

• Like 4

On 1/29/2020 at 7:19 AM, spiderpig said:

OK, I'm Bahstonian by marriage and the new Hyundai "Smaht Pahk" spot just cracks us up.  It's due to run during the Super Bowl.

Chances Emily Blunt would've married him if he actually talked like that: Zero.

• Laugh 7

4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Great commercial. I'm almost more impressed they found the original wallpaper from his room. I've been looking for that for years. Probably just got an artist to paint it.

I like that they included Ned Ryerson and the Mayor.  I wish they had figured out a way to include the super palindrome of 02/02/2020.  Just a throw away like a license plate of 02022020. 

• Like 2

I'm normally not one who like commercials that go for the feels. But this one goes for the feels. 

Edited by xaxat
  • Like 4

As so not a fan of football I watch the Super Bowl for the commercials (I know I am far from alone with this) and I've narrowed this years contenders for my favourite down to three: the Jeep commercial with Bill Murray; the Alexis commercial with Ellen; and the Mars water one with Bill Nye.  Most years one commercial really stands out for me.  This year I'm going to have to call it a tie.  And to be fair some of the others were pretty good too!

I liked Ellen and Portia's Alexis ad too -- and the Doritos western showdown and the Reese's, especially the kicker at the end (You got your head up your a@@?).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

the Doritos western showdown

I forgot about that one!  Loved it too.  Especially the mustache move!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm bummed there weren't any puppy/Clydesdale horsie commercials for the Super Bowl this year. THOSE were my favorites.

Ugh I know.  I love them too!  Maybe next year...

• Like 4

Say 

14 hours ago, xaxat said:

I'm normally not one who like commercials that go for the feels. But this one goes for the feels. 

I like that one,too- especially the last shot of the two ancient invalid spouses holding hands as though nothing will shake their bond AND they're getting ready for the next part of their journey when they seem confident that  they'll be restored to being young and healthy again! 

Speaking of young and healthy, on a more humorous note, I like the Jason Momoa for Rocket Mortgage in which,via CGI, he 'reveals' himself to be a short, spindly, bald man 'offcamera'- and I can't help but think that his petite spouse Lisa Bonet has to like appearing younger and healthier than he is by being able to lift the empty barbell one-handed that he fails to be able to bench press! Can anyone imagine Arnold Schwartzenegger poking fun of his larger-than-life image even for laughs and big bucks the way Mr. Momoa has done here?

• Like 2

I watch the Super Bowl for the game, so I miss some of the commercials while I'm refilling my plate, but of those I saw I liked the Doritos commercial with Lil Nas X and Sam Elliott (I love the horse refusing):

The one with Jason Momoa (who would be infinitely more attractive if he washed his hair and shaved his face) and Lisa Bonet:

The Loretta ad from whatever "turn your whole life over to us" product Google is offering:

The Alexa ad with Ellen and Portia:

and the Groundhog Day one posted up thread.

The Cheetos ad with MC Hammer was okay, too.

At least he was another person I recognized -- there were so many commercials that I could tell featured celebrities, but I had no idea who they were.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

At least he was another person I recognized -- there were so many commercials that I could tell featured celebrities, but I had no idea who they were.

Same here!  In the Superbowl thread someone mentioned being surprised that Maisie Williams (I think that was her name) could sing - the girl who sang the song from Frozen - anyway I had zero idea who she was but at least when I googled I had actually heard of Game of Thrones 😁 -most of the other celebrities that I didn't recognize still meant nothing to me when I looked them up!

I forgot one - the Jake From State Farm commercial coming back.  The new Jake's line delivery on "uh, khakis" isn't quite as good as the original's, but the meta aspect makes it a winner:

• Like 6

There were a lot of really good SB commercials this year.  Many funny, some heartfelt.  Bravo, ad agencies!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I forgot one - the Jake From State Farm commercial coming back.  The new Jake's line delivery on "uh, khakis" isn't quite as good as the original's, but the meta aspect makes it a winner:

Isn't the guy in the next cubicle the original "Jake"?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Isn't the guy in the next cubicle the original "Jake"?

I think so, because it's funny when the new guy asks him if people ask him what he's waring, and he answers - all the time.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 3

Ironically, the Alexa ad made me yearn for the days BEFORE it ever existed- inasmuch as all the human and animal 'proto-Alexas' were not going store a person's temperature or music preferences- to say nothing of intently listening to every syllable one said before one uttered the 'magic word'. Nope, I happy to keep my home Alexa-free forever! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, Blergh said:

Nope, I happy to keep my home Alexa-free forever! 

I loved the commercial but it was a huge fail if the goal was to convince me to buy the product!

• Like 7

I always kind of felt for the wife in the Jake from State Farm commercials.  Why is he standing in the middle of the living room calling State Farm at three in the morning? 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 3

22 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I always kind of felt for the wife in the Jake from State Farm commercials.  Why is he standing in the middle of the living room calling State Farm at three in the morning? 

I don't know about him but I often find myself lying awake at three in the morning worrying about things I was too busy (or too distracted) to think about during the day.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Do you get up and do them?

No, there is never anything I can do about any of it but if I needed to do something like add extra coverage I would just do it online. If I got up and my husband was having a conversation like the one in the commercial I would laugh my ass off and wait until he was done and ask what it was about. I wouldn't grab the phone and screech "What are you wearing?" at the other person.

• Like 3

Nine times out of ten, I am annoyed by women being portrayed as jealous and suspicious, but the actor playing the wife has such utterly perfect line delivery on "What are you wearing, Jake from State Farm?" that I totally roll with it in this case; I love the commercial and was ridiculously pleased to see it return.

• Like 7

While the scenario of a 3 am phone may be farfetched, the point of the commercial is that State Farm offers customer assistance 24/7.

Yesterday I wanted to cancel a boat insurance policy with Geico Marine. I tried to do it online with no success, so called their customer service number. It wasn't 3 am, but it could have been. Mission accomplished.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

39 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

While the scenario of a 3 am phone may be farfetched, the point of the commercial is that State Farm offers customer assistance 24/7.

Yesterday I wanted to cancel a boat insurance policy with Geico Marine. I tried to do it online with no success, so called their customer service number. It wasn't 3 am, but it could have been. Mission accomplished.

I'm sorry to hear that. Did you guys sell your boat?

31 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm sorry to hear that. Did you guys sell your boat?

We sold the boat in October. I got an email saying the insurance was due by Feb 15th. My husband forgot to cancel the insurance on it. Not sure why online didn't work (kept telling me it didn't find my policy number), but the agent I talked to was very nice and he had no problem finding the policy..

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

We sold the boat in October. I got an email saying the insurance was due by Feb 15th. My husband forgot to cancel the insurance on it. Not sure why online didn't work (kept telling me it didn't find my policy number), but the agent I talked to was very nice and he had no problem finding the policy..

I've had that happen too. It's the damndest thing.

We had a cat named Jake at the animal hospital today - he was there for a dental cleaning. The techs kept calling him Jake From State Farm, even though he wasn't wearing khakis.  I work with some odd people. LOL.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 18

12 hours ago, PennyPlain said:

I loved the commercial but it was a huge fail if the goal was to convince me to buy the product!

Which, in itself is WHY, I like that Alexa commercial. Oh  and it was very imaginatively produced and acted. 

• Like 1

I'd like that Alexa ad a lot more if it didn't show people in their fifties wondering what people did before the new technology that came out like five years ago.  Even changing it to something like "I can't remember what we did before Alexa!" would have been a better line than "What do you think people did..."  You're the people, Ellen.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, janie jones said:

I'd like that Alexa ad a lot more if it didn't show people in their fifties wondering what people did before the new technology that came out like five years ago.  Even changing it to something like "I can't remember what we did before Alexa!" would have been a better line than "What do you think people did..."  You're the people, Ellen.

Yeah, neither of them are under seven-years-old. Do Miss DeGeneres and Miss De Rossi want folks to think  their  memories are shot? Yeah, get a high tech doo-dad that answers all your questions, plays music and adjusts your thermostat then watch your short-term memory go down the tubes!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 7

I keep meaning to say how much I like the John Lithgow Progresso soup commercials. I think they're just lovely. I'm not a fan of the blubbery noodles in their soup but he almost makes me want to have some.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 2

Pardon me if this has been shown before, but I get the urge to dance every time I see this commercial.

• Like 7

I find that song impossible not to dance to, so I'm with you on that one.

On 2/5/2020 at 2:29 PM, janie jones said:

I saw a new Alexa commercial yesterday that didn't have Ellen and Portia, but was probably leftover footage (or at least concept) from their commercial.  It had an ancient Egyptian asking the Alexa stand in to add something to his grocery list -- in hieroglyphics.  It was pretty funny.

• Like 3

On 2/2/2020 at 7:33 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Chances Emily Blunt would've married him if he actually talked like that: Zero.

Some people are really really into the Boston accent, so you never know.

All three actors grew up in the Boston area, so some or all of them may have talked like that originally.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Haleth said:

I saw a new Alexa commercial yesterday that didn't have Ellen and Portia, but was probably leftover footage (or at least concept) from their commercial.  It had an ancient Egyptian asking the Alexa stand in to add something to his grocery list -- in hieroglyphics.  It was pretty funny.

Ah, the irony! It's likely that WE currently know more about Ancient Egyptians' likes, dislikes, habits and lifestyles thank to them recording them on stone and papyrus than future generations will know about what made us tick via our current social media. 

• Like 4

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 8:41 PM, peacheslatour said:

I've had that happen too. It's the damndest thing.

I had it happen when I cancelled Norton on my old computer.  They claimed I'd never cancelled, and it cost me the refund for half a year.  I will always call from now on.

• Surprise 2

Speaking of dancing in commercials, this new one from Mass Mutual is one of my current favorites:

• Like 2