Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

On 11/9/2019 at 1:06 PM, peacheslatour said:

OMG! My parents were both from Western Pennsyltuckey. That's exactly the way I remember my uncles. Chipped ham! Whenever anybody in the family went "back east" (we're in Seattle now) there would be hell to pay if they didn't bring back some chipped ham from Isley's (I think) it was tissue thin and you piled it on your sandwich. Yummy.

Yep, with mayo! 

On 11/9/2019 at 4:11 AM, crowsworks said:

I like the Pittsburgh Dad (local) commercials for an AC company. He's a hoot. PD is a popular Youtube ...show? 

Chip chopped ham and dippy eggs and klondikes

Burgh queezine

Organic bananas last much longer in the fridge -thats the difference.

• Useful 2

I love the Samsung Chewy Dog commercial. The ending with Emperor KittyCat cracks me up every time. I also love the Mercedes commercial featuring animal adoption. More companies need to integrate shelter pets in to their campaigns. It's got to be far more effective than the 'will break my body to turn them off' ASPCA commercials.

• Love 7

Muppets need insurance too.  Sesame Street is a dangerous place, with lots of potential for law suits.  All it takes is for someone to fall down the brownstone steps, get tetanus from Oscar's trash can, have a peanut reaction from Cookie Monster's snack or get sat on by an absent minded Snuffalagus to bankrupt the Street. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I love the Muppets in commercials. The Cookie Monster iPhone commercial is one of my all time faves.

Yes, that was a fun one.

Accidentally hit the quote button but can not figure out how to delete it.

(axially <----that is what autocorrect decided I meant to type instead of the correctly spelled "accidentally")

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 11/16/2019 at 6:57 PM, theatremouse said:

The Muppets have been in commercials for decades. Muppets started in commercials.

I didn't realize that but I did know that the first "muppet" I ever saw was Rowlf the dog, a Henson creation,  who was on the Jimmy Dean Show a very long time ago.  I have a totally vague memory of watching this at my grandmother's house somewhere in the early to mid '60s.  

Edited by Homily
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

You refrigerate bananas?!?!?!

LUKE: Caesar, why am I still finding bananas in the fridge?

CAESAR: Oh you wanted me to take all the bananas out of the fridge?

LUKE: When I said, "remove the bananas," I was referring to all the bananas. Otherwise, I would have said “a banana” or "some of the bananas."

CAESAR: Hmm.

LUKE: What?

CAESAR: It's just that while I was running the place, that was one of my innovations, cold bananas. People really love them.

• LOL 2
14 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

LUKE: Caesar, why am I still finding bananas in the fridge?

CAESAR: Oh you wanted me to take all the bananas out of the fridge?

LUKE: When I said, "remove the bananas," I was referring to all the bananas. Otherwise, I would have said “a banana” or "some of the bananas."

CAESAR: Hmm.

LUKE: What?

CAESAR: It's just that while I was running the place, that was one of my innovations, cold bananas. People really love them.

This must be from something I haven't seen.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

"Someone once asked me if I'd like a frozen banana.  I said 'No, but in 2 hours, I'd like a regular banana, so, yeah'." ~ Mitch Hedberg (RIP)

• LOL 3
3 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

"Someone once asked me if I'd like a frozen banana.  I said 'No, but in 2 hours, I'd like a regular banana, so, yeah'." ~ Mitch Hedberg (RIP)

"It takes forever to cook a baked potato. Sometimes, I'll put one in the oven even if I don't want one, cuz by the time it's done, who knows?" - Mitch Hedberg. He had some great takes on food. On rice:

"Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• LOL 7
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

"It takes forever to cook a baked potato. Sometimes, I'll put one in the oven even if I don't want one, cuz by the time it's done, who knows?" - Mitch Hedberg. He had some great takes on food. On rice:

"Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

"It's kind-of like pancakes.  All exciting at first, but by the end, you're sick of them."

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, funky-rat said:

"It's kind-of like pancakes.  All exciting at first, but by the end, you're sick of them."

I make a bunch of pancakes, eat a couple and freeze the rest to eat whenever the mood strikes me.  I eat them like a muffin.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:42 PM, scarletine said:

The end of this caught me by surprise, and I cracked up. This is awesome. 

Reminds of the time my best friend and I (both over 50) drove past some 20-something guys with Eminem blasting out of the window.  Only that was on purpose.

I am loving one of the new Geico commercials that shows the two Asian guys discussing their new roommate.  They wanted someone who didn't talk too much and who would clean - so they ended up with a mime who pretends to clean.  The part where the mime guy acts out that he's run into a wall and one of the other guys makes a comment about oh there's a wall there now just cracks me up!  I don't remember the exact words (and I don't know how to embed a video of the commercial) but the deadpan way he makes the comment is hilarious to me.

I know, I know, I am rather easily amused these days....

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
40 minutes ago, mousegirl said:

I am loving one of the new Geico commercials that shows the two Asian guys discussing their new roommate.  They wanted someone who didn't talk too much and who would clean - so they ended up with a mime who pretends to clean.  The part where the mime guy acts out that he's run into a wall and one of the other guys makes a comment about oh there's a wall there now just cracks me up!  I don't remember the exact words (and I don't know how to embed a video of the commercial) but the deadpan way he makes the comment is hilarious to me.

I know, I know, I am rather easily amused these days....

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

More frightening: Mimes or Clowns? You make the call.

Definitely mimes. Thank you, Shields and Yarnell. And "Little House on the Prairie."

I love the commercial with the two old guys sitting on a park bench. One has a cough. He says, "It's just a cough." His friends begs to differ. "If it's just a cough than I was born yesterday." Then you see him in a hospital nursery with his big old head on a newborn's body. "I'm a baby!" he says. Coughing old dude takes his medicine.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 11/23/2019 at 4:42 PM, scarletine said:

The end of this caught me by surprise, and I cracked up. This is awesome. 

OMG, I laughed so hard at that. How come I haven't seen it on actual TV? My favorite part was the kid in the backseat enjoying the song.

I saw an ad yesterday that I can't find online.  A couple are in their bedroom (I think), trying to get stuff out of a closet.  They're having a hard time getting out what they're looking for.  The teenaged son comes home and sees their door shut and the moaning and huffing noises, and the parents come out of the bedroom disheveled because they didn't use Downy wrinkle guard, and the kid is traumatized and runs into his room and slams the door.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I saw an ad yesterday that I can't find online.  A couple are in their bedroom (I think), trying to get stuff out of a closet.  They're having a hard time getting out what they're looking for.  The teenaged son comes home and sees their door shut and the moaning and huffing noises, and the parents come out of the bedroom disheveled because they didn't use Downy wrinkle guard, and the kid is traumatized and runs into his room and slams the door.

Here it is: https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ZO0w/downy-wrinkleguard-guilty-grandparents

• Love 3

Black & Decker? DeWalt? I've only seen it once and wasn't paying full attention, but a father and daughter are Facetiming and she wants to put up shelves. Her father sends her a cordless drill and the next Facetime she shows off her perfectly installed shelves. I love that she's competent and Daddy doesn't put up the shelves for her.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I could have, but my retired Dad needed to feel needed, so I'd always ask him to do things for me.

I ended up doing the same thing with my dad. When I first moved out I wanted to do things myself to see if I could do it and because he wouldn't always be around so I needed to learn to fix things myself which I did. But  he was so sad he felt like he wasn't needed anymore that I stopped and started asking him to do things. 

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I ended up doing the same thing with my dad. When I first moved out I wanted to do things myself to see if I could do it and because he wouldn't always be around so I needed to learn to fix things myself which I did. But  he was so sad he felt like he wasn't needed anymore that I stopped and started asking him to do things. 

He loved being able to give me tools I could use once he taught me how.

• Love 5

Hate the company, but I get a kick out of the new portal ad with Beaker and the Swedish Chef.  Bonus - closed captioning trying to capture what the Swedish Chef is saying.

Edited by elle
autocorrect fix
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

I love the ad where the kid convinces Dad to adopt Chewy dog, but when they get to the shelter, another kid already has him.  The kid looks crestfallen until he turns around to see the most awesome Darth Vader cat.

My eyes light up when I see that cat, just like the kid's did.

• Love 11

I like this one from - of all companies - Hallmark:

https://adage.com/creativity/work/hallmark-gold-crown-when-you-care-enough-remember-your-little-rebel/2210371

It's a fun ad, and I am ridiculously amused that, in my mind, this child announced without words that they are transgender. In a Hallmark commercial. How subversive of this ad agency!

Other observations: this family is really, really into Star Wars. Love it that the mom is a stormtrooper. Why is the little girl wearing a wig with the famous buns when she has long dark hair that could have been used to make that hairstyle? I'm mainly kidding about the transgender thing, but I do applaud the shedding of traditional gender roles. Plus it's a cute, sweet ad.

I'm puzzled, however, by this quote in the article about the commercial:

“Not all of life’s moments are made up solely of good times,” said Ann Herrick, director of marketing at Hallmark Gold Crown stores, in a statement. “These holiday spots remind us to celebrate ALL of life’s moments, and those we care for most, along the way.”

What is not a good time about the memory here? That the child doesn't conform to gender roles? That she cut her hair? 

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 1

Where did she get the Luke Skywalker costume, complete with a lightsaber?  She obviously had a Leia costume.  It seems like she had a choice and in the end, she decided she wanted to be Luke rather than Leia.  It could be she felt she was more like Luke in personality, or she wanted to be the hero instead of someone who needed to be rescued (although Leia did a lot of bad assed stuff before and after Luke rescued her, but I'm thinking of how someone the age of the kid in the video might see it).  It doesn't really scream transgender to me, more like a kid changing her mind about a costume.  Either way, her family would have had two Emperial characters and two Rebel characters.

It does seem as if her change of costume seems like a big deal to her parents, but in a positive way.  The dad immediately goes along with it, and says "You're Luke Skywalker, and I am your father."  Then they do a cute thing while they fight with their lightsabers.

The girl cutting her hair seems a bit drastic, but it's not really a big thing.  It's a stretch, but if she was wrestling with her gender identity and her family was aware of that, then the last minute decision to present herself as a male on Halloween and they realized that, then more power to them.  

Being transgender is hard, but the way the commercial is presented, it's ambiguous.  Maybe that's what Hallmark is going for.  A nudge for people to be more accepting.  We don't live the same lives, our religions and politics are different, our experiences are different, and our feelings are different.  Don't put people in a box and let them figure out what's right for them.

Not sure if the statement from Hallmark's director of marketing is applying to the above mentioned commercial.

• Love 7