Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

On 9/30/2019 at 5:49 AM, icemiser69 said:

This underwear commercial from the 90s was pretty good.

Welll... this little ditty started out with very different lyrics back in the early 60's. "Do your boo*s hang low, can you tie them in a bow..." I only heard it sung amidst a gathering of girls (tweens & teens).

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Welll... this little ditty started out with very different lyrics back in the early 60's. "Do your boo*s hang low, can you tie them in a bow..." I only heard it sung amidst a gathering of girls (tweens & teens).

I heard a program this week by a professor at Peabody talking about the history of music in Maryland. He said that tune is 18th century English that came to America.

• Useful 5
32 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Do your boobs hang low* / Do they wobble to and fro? / Can you tie 'em in a knot? / Can you tie 'em in a bow? / Can you throw 'em over your shoulder / Like a Continental soldier? / Do your boobs hang low? 

*At this point in my life, the answer to the first question is "Yes. I tuck them into my waistband."

😄

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I heard a program this week by a professor at Peabody talking about the history of music in Maryland. He said that tune is 18th century English that came to America.

I'm not surprised. It always sounded familiar (much like that silly song, "Be Kind To Your Webfooted Friends, cause a duck might be somebody's mother..." started out quite differently).

One of my favorite ads is the one in which animals are riding in an SUV while "If you go out in the woods today..." is playing. Some ad folks are incredibly  talented.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

"If you go out in the woods today..." is playing.

The Teddy Bears' Picnic. My favorite song when I was a tot. NOW I have a CD with Michael Feinstein singing it.

Those Subaru ads are hysterical seen all at once. They're funny stand-alone, but priceless as a compilation. THANK YOU.

• Love 8
On 10/1/2019 at 8:29 PM, friendperidot said:

One has the family going to the hot dog stand, as they get ready to chow down, several Dachshunds come up, the looks are so precious, especially between the puppy golden and the puppy Dachshund.

I don't get that one.  They abandon their hot dogs after seeing the dachshund family.  Hot dogs aren't made of dachshunds so I don't see why the dachshund family is offended.

I've only encountered the "do your __ hang low" song about ears (at school) and balls (elsewhere).

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I don't get that one.  They abandon their hot dogs after seeing the dachshund family.  Hot dogs aren't made of dachshunds so I don't see why the dachshund family is offended.

I've only encountered the "do your __ hang low" song about ears (at school) and balls (elsewhere).

Doxxies are sometimes called "wiener dogs." That's why there's a Halloween costume for a dachshund that looks like a hot dog. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 10/5/2019 at 2:27 PM, Colleenna said:

Doxxies are sometimes called "wiener dogs." That's why there's a Halloween costume for a dachshund that looks like a hot dog. 

I am aware of that, as I do not live under a rock.  But hot dogs are not made out of dogs, which all the dogs involved should know, so I don't see why the dachshunds should be offended.  Should I also not eat a Baby Ruth in front of babies or people named Ruth?

• LOL 5
12 hours ago, janie jones said:

I am aware of that, as I do not live under a rock.  But hot dogs are not made out of dogs, which all the dogs involved should know, so I don't see why the dachshunds should be offended.  Should I also not eat a Baby Ruth in front of babies or people named Ruth?

And be sure not to have a Snickers in front of people with the uncontrollable giggles.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

A friend and I just saw that one last night, and in the pause before Captain Obvious responds, I said "birth control" as she said "no kids", so we laughed pretty hard at "condoms," which is definitely the best line of the three.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4

Yeah, the weiner dog commercial is cute, but my husband and I both don't understand either why the Doxies are so offended.  As others have said, it's not like hot dogs are made from dogs.  My husband had a Doxie growing up, and he's partial to them, but after his "AWWW", he shrugs.  The name of the stand is "Wanna Weenie" but still, not sure why they're offended.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Lois Sandborne said:

So you do get it. You just don't think the gag is funny.

No, I think it doesn't make sense because hot dogs are not made out of dogs.  Maybe "I don't understand" was an exaggeration when I said it before, but the premise of their "joke" doesn't actually make any sense.  It's not that it's not funny, it's that it's nonsense.

• Love 1

To each his or her own! I find the "wiener dog" commercial funny.

Of course it's nonsense! The whole idea of dogs driving cars is nonsense. But the way the wiener dogs look at the Goldens and then the Goldens look at the wiener dogs and at the wieners they're about to eat and decide, eh, nevermind, is cute to me.

Maybe it's because it reminds me of this classic "Eunice" sketch from The Carol Burnett Show, I wish I had found a better quality video: Fluffy the Rabbit

• Love 13
On 10/1/2019 at 10:29 PM, friendperidot said:

One has the family going to the hot dog stand, as they get ready to chow down, several Dachshunds come up, the looks are so precious, especially between the puppy golden and the puppy Dachshund. 

I love this one. 

• Love 6
On 9/22/2019 at 4:25 PM, icemiser69 said:

This is one of my all time favorite Staples commercials from 1996.

I was a teacher (retired now). Every year my husband sang that song to me when school began because my paychecks would start coming in again!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I love the Captain Obvious one that just ran.   Two women are at a playground on a cold, snowy day, and looking at a friend's photo from pool side in the tropics.   The woman asks how the other woman manages to have great vacations, and Capt. Obvious says "Condoms".  

• LOL 10
12 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I love this Navy Federal Credit Union commercial featuring the wall fish.... partly because I really like the Talking Heads. 

Me too!  When we got married almost 25 years ago, our wedding theme/song was "Once In A Lifetime".  I had to loan the DJ my copy of the song because he didn't have it.  People told me I'd regret that, but I haven't yet.  That song is SO US.  We closed the reception with "Road To Nowhere".  😀

• Love 10

It's not exactly a favorite commercial, but after hating the Sling commercials so much for the past few years, and while I know I'm not alone in that, there are people on these boards that really like them. But Sling has a new set of ads with Maya Rudolph. I am enjoying her in the ads, she is so very blase' and says her lines with such a flat expression, I laugh. I like them so much more than all the innuendo of the last bunch. Or should I say "sexual in yer window," which I stole from a poorly written psych note several years ago. I collected poorly written notes and spelling errors and typos. Unfortunately, I lost my hard copy after leaving my job, I had emailed the list to myself and that email got deleted, but I had some wonderful bad notes. I didn't save the entire note and there was nothing to identify any patient, I just saved the errors. I wanted to put them in a book, titled "Sexual In Yer Window and other Miss Demeanors."

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 10/1/2019 at 11:50 AM, icemiser69 said:

I do like all of the M&M commercials, except for the one where there is M&M on M&M crime.   Poor hazelnut M&M he or she will be missed.    All that was left were his or her shoes and gloves.

I normally despise food-on-food cannibalism in commercials, but this one makes me laugh. It's the way Peanut says sheepishly, "We ate him."

I use Facebook, but I hate the narcissism and invasion of privacy it helped create. However, I'm loving the one about the Facebook group for basset hound owners, from the footage of the dogs on the beach to Patsy Cline's "Back in Baby's Arms."

• Love 9
9 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I collected poorly written notes and spelling errors and typos. Unfortunately, I lost my hard copy after leaving my job, I had emailed the list to myself and that email got deleted, but I had some wonderful bad notes. I didn't save the entire note and there was nothing to identify any patient, I just saved the errors. I wanted to put them in a book, titled "Sexual In Yer Window and other Miss Demeanors."

When I worked at a collection agency (collected for medical, utility, and taxes), our owner had me keep a collection of funny letters we'd received over the years.  I left them when I left the job, but a few remain in my brain:

"Take this with you the next time you go to the bathroom" - written on the back of our notice

"You spelt my name wrong" - yes, I know "spelt" can be used in some circumstances, but we still found it funny

"I am keeping an eye on you" - surrounded by about 50 pairs of badly drawn eyes

"Quit calling me on Sunday!  Jesus is the only one allowed to call me on Sunday!!" - we were closed on Sunday - we worked some Saturdays, but only until 11am

"Provide me with a 1-800 number!  I will not spend a dime to call you!" - the person was in the same town the business was in......also, they spent more than a dime mailing the letter

And we were once mailed a box of turnips, with a note saying that you couldn't get blood from a turnip.  No clue who sent it.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, funky-rat said:

When I worked at a collection agency (collected for medical, utility, and taxes), our owner had me keep a collection of funny letters we'd received over the years.  I left them when I left the job, but a few remain in my brain:

"Take this with you the next time you go to the bathroom" - written on the back of our notice

"You spelt my name wrong" - yes, I know "spelt" can be used in some circumstances, but we still found it funny

"I am keeping an eye on you" - surrounded by about 50 pairs of badly drawn eyes

"Quit calling me on Sunday!  Jesus is the only one allowed to call me on Sunday!!" - we were closed on Sunday - we worked some Saturdays, but only until 11am

"Provide me with a 1-800 number!  I will not spend a dime to call you!" - the person was in the same town the business was in......also, they spent more than a dime mailing the letter

And we were once mailed a box of turnips, with a note saying that you couldn't get blood from a turnip.  No clue who sent it.

I'm honestly about to leave Facebook because of all the horrible spelling and grammar. Then/than, waste/waist, to/too/two..... "for all intensive purposes".... Gah!! It makes me grind my teeth, and my dentist doesn't like that! :-)

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
17 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

I'm honestly about to leave Facebook because of all the horrible spelling and grammar. Then/than, waste/waist, to/too/two..... "for all intensive purposes".... Gah!! It makes me grind my teeth, and my dentist doesn't like that! 🙂

I HATE when people use "AWE!" when it should be "AWWW!".  Two different things.  And I've seen some people do "EWE!" when it should be "EEEW!".

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
45 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I HATE when people use "AWE!" when it should be "AWWW!".  Two different things.  And I've seen some people do "EWE!" when it should be "EEEW!".

Makes me want to type "Sheep? Where??"  But we should take this discussion to "we'll be right back...."

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

If there ever was a trial, that goober would be the first one to crack.

This sentence is AWESOME, because a) Goobers are chocolate covered peanuts, so yeah, he is a Goober; and b) Because he's (a) candy coated (Goober), under pressure his candy coating could/would, literally,crack.

I know; I'm weird; But thanks for the laugh.

Edited by SweetieDarling
I have always preferred Goobers to Raisinets
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I am for anything that helps save the lives of shelter animals, and other animals in general.

I remember reading an article where it said that black cats and black kittens are the most difficult to place in a loving home, adopt out.

Black dogs too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

Black dogs too.

I remember hearing about the black dogs. I hadn't heard about the black cats. Our two rescues have been black labs mixed. The first one we got decades ago and last year got a new one was seven when we got her about six months after our last dog had to be put to sleep. Both really great dogs who had such a horrible last owners its amazing to see the transformation with a family that loves them and treats them well. We didn't even look for another black lab since we were looking for an older dog and weren't sure what we'd find but on the second visit there she was. Black dogs are great dogs everyone! 

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, ABay said:

Over in the Pet thread, it seems like most of us have at least one black cat. But we're hardly a typical sample group.

My late Baby Boo was a black tuxedo cat. Rescued him at 6 months he lived with me for 12 years. Miss that boy soooo much!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

My late Baby Boo was a black tuxedo cat. Rescued him at 6 months he lived with me for 12 years. Miss that boy soooo much!

I had a black long haired girl who lived to be 19. My current black cat is almost 17. My cousin has a black cat, and a friend has two. I'm not sure I believe that they're hard to place --- there are just so many of them, maybe it seems that way. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

I had a black long haired girl who lived to be 19. My current black cat is almost 17. My cousin has a black cat, and a friend has two. I'm not sure I believe that they're hard to place --- there are just so many of them, maybe it seems that way. 

Hmmm, maybe, but Tia on Pit Bulls and Parolees stated that the black dogs had a much harder chance of being adopted as they faded into the background. People wanted colorful or interesting markings. I wonder what the percentage of cats is that are black? Is it predominant?

• Love 2

I think people are (still) superstitious about black cats.  My son's tuxedo cat is hardly evil but he is extremely curious and gets into trouble.  A lot.  He got stuck in the ceiling once.  Really.  It required a power saw to extract him.

To get back on topic, I love the basset hound beach commercial but since I don't pay much attention to commercials I had no idea it was for FB.  Speaking of evil...

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 4