Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

I like this Nissan commercial a lot. I like the music, I like the story of the husband getting off work at 5 am at the hospital and driving home while the wife gets up at the same time and goes out for a run (even though I have watched waaaayyy too much crime TV, so the first few times I saw it I was expecting her to be abducted), and their loving exchange when he gets home and goes in to go to sleep and she leaves for work. I especially like the long version that shows the husband picking up a coffee for her on his way home and her finding it when she gets into the car. Plus the little touch that he pulls the driver's side seat up before he gets out of the car so it will be in the right position for her.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oWZk/2020-nissan-versa-good-morning-goodnight-song-by-andreya-triana-t1#

I think it's what a quality commercial is all about. It makes me actually like and care about this couple.

I want him to finish his residency so they can be more on the same schedule. Why yes, I have been re-watching ER from the beginning on HULU. 

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

Plus the little touch that he pulls the driver's side seat up before he gets out of the car so it will be in the right position for her.

That part of the commercial has me scratching my head a bit; it boasts about being "the most tech-advanced car in its class," but he indeed seems to be manually pulling the driver's seat forward when having memory buttons to store both their favored seat positions is now pretty basic technology a car at the head of its class should have.  But I'm not familiar with what class of car the Versa is.

12 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

This is one of my all time favorite Staples commercials from 1996.

Yeah, I am kind of a jerk.   No really,  I know it is hard to believe, but it is true.  It is true.  But let's be honest, kids can be a handful (loud) during the Summer.    I am glad to see neighbor kids go back to school.

My mom loved that commercial she always felt the same way by the time August rolled around. She was always excited when summer began and we did a bunch stuff but by August she was so ready for her kids to be back in school. My brother and I were pretty much the kids in the commercial sad and depressed. We didn't hate school but there was nothing better then not going to school and being able to do whatever we wanted, stay up late, sleep in, hang out with friends, etc. and it was all about to come to an end.  She quoted the commercial that year and the next two years until I graduated. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

My brother and I were pretty much the kids in the commercial sad and depressed. We didn't hate school but there was nothing better then not going to school and being able to do whatever we wanted, stay up late, sleep in, hang out with friends, etc. and it was all about to come to an end. 

This. I'd always get so sad whenever we went to a store in mid/late July or early August and saw their "back to school" section all set up. I'd be like, "It's too early! We've still got some time off yet!" 

• Love 6

I’ve seen “back to school” sales as early as mid-July.(I realize that some areas go from August to May, but New York State has always been September-June, so it’s like, “but school just ended two weeks ago!”)

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 6

But I'm not familiar with what class of car the Versa is.

At one point, and it might still be true, the base Versa was the cheapest vehicle available in the US. It is definitely economy class--the base model comes with manual windows! 

I loved the "most wonderful time of the year" Staples commercials. Sears did one after Christmas, even longer ago, with a little ditty that went "almost every thing you wanted, but didn't get for Christmas, is on sale now at Sears!".  I think both companies could have run those ads for years. (and look what's happening to Sears, anything would have been better than what they'd been doing)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 9/22/2019 at 11:04 AM, foxfreakinmulder said:

I differently don't think stealing in any way is funny, but there's something about the way she looks and runs in the commercial that cracks me up.  

I'm the same.  And for me it's become a catch phrase in that if I think we're getting a real deal when we buy something I try to sound like the lady in the commercial as I tell my husband to "start the car!!"

Definitely understand why some don't find this one funny - my mother is one, she sees it as someone trying to pull a fast one and doesn't get the humour either.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, HighMaintenance said:

Somehow this came up on my youtube feed and I fondly remember this was one of my favorite commercials when I was just a little kid.  Everyone looks so HAPPY!  And the music was very upbeat!  Who WOULDN'T want to get VD?  It looks wonderful!

VD is for Everybody!

Man, I gotta get me some of that there VD...

Edited by smittykins
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, HighMaintenance said:

Somehow this came up on my youtube feed and I fondly remember this was one of my favorite commercials when I was just a little kid.  Everyone looks so HAPPY!  And the music was very upbeat!  Who WOULDN'T want to get VD?  It looks wonderful!

VD is for Everybody!

I have a friend in social work. She had a bumper sticker on her car with a picture of a hypodermic needle and the text "People with VD should be shot."

• LOL 5
On 9/20/2019 at 8:49 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Mayhem.

I just watched some of the old Mayhem commercials from the link you all provided.  I forgot the raccoon in the attic one.  Bless.  (shallow end of the pool) Dean Winters sure has aged nicely.  He looks way better now (though what a cute commercial).

The new cat one may be the best yet.    He needs to go back to SVU because a)  I need to see him back on TV weekly, and b)  Liv needs to get ----.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I don't think this commercial is running anymore and I don't remember what it was for but it was a farmer yelling "hey, you woodchucks stop chucking my wood" then you see the woodchucks laughing and chucking his wood in the water. That one always made me laugh.

It's one of the Geico "rhetorical questions" commercials:

The series is most famous for spawning Maxwell the pig, a character viewers either love or hate (I hate, but probably would have loved had the "wheeeeee!" been several seconds shorter).  I liked that woodchuck one, and also Ed "Too Tall" Jones:

Abe Lincoln:

The fútbol announcer:

And the Waltons:

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

I haven't seen anyone mention the Geico commercial with Antonio, the not-dog. It's a very silly commercial, but the actor who describes Antonio as his "special friend" cracks me up. His voice alone is golden.

image.png.f6e598157133b7bbb276e126437bfd16.png

I hate that commercial. The scuzzy looking guy creeps me out. 

• Love 5

I just saw a good commercial. Ave Maria is playing while you see photos of kids doing noisy things (e.g., playing the drums, etc). Then, you see (probably) their dad, calmly sitting on a couch, wearing headphones, looking very serene. It's an ad for Prime/amazon.

• Love 2

Because Halloween is coming up, Geico is running the horror movie commercial that hasn't aired in years. The one where the stupid teenagers turn down taking refuge in the running car to go hide behind a huge pile of rusty chainsaws? Still cracks me up.

• LOL 3
  • Love 15
19 hours ago, Jordan Baker said:

I haven't seen anyone mention the Geico commercial with Antonio, the not-dog. It's a very silly commercial, but the actor who describes Antonio as his "special friend" cracks me up. His voice alone is golden.

I especially like the (male) roommate dressed in purple scrubs who's holding a mug inscribed 'Best Mom'. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

We used to sing that song in church camp, except it was "ears." I never understood how you were supposed to throw your ear lobes o'er your shoulder.

Until recently, I didn’t know the lyrics beyond “Can you tie ‘em in a knot, can you tie ‘em in a bow?”

• Love 1
5 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Because Halloween is coming up, Geico is running the horror movie commercial that hasn't aired in years. The one where the stupid teenagers turn down taking refuge in the running car to go hide behind a huge pile of rusty chainsaws? Still cracks me up.

I love that one.  The last time I saw it was in the cinema last year, before the new Halloween, and half the audience recited, "Why can't we just get in the running car?" and "Head for the cemetery!" along with the actors.

• LOL 10
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I hated school with a passion, from kindergarten through to high school graduation.   If that Staples commercial had come out while I was still in school, I wouldn't have been a happy camper.   Since It came out more than a decade after I graduated from high school, I can see the humor in it.

I knew my years of schooling weren't going to go well in terms of popularity.  In one of my early elementary school years, our teacher had all of us make out Valentine's cards for everyone in the class.  At least that was supposed to be what all of my classmates were supposed to do.  Then the teacher would give us all small paper bags to decorate and then tape the bags up on the edge of the chalkboard.  We would all walk up one by one and put cards in each of the paper bags.   Needless to say, most of the students made out multiple Valentine's Day cards for their friends and stiffed the least popular kid (me).   I think I took home five cards, one of them was from the teacher.

Charlie Brown can complain all he wants that on Halloween he kept getting rocks.  Well, at least the candy givers thought enough of him to give him a rock.  They could have given him the finger.

If there is one thing I don't miss it is school.

Thankfully, we had teachers in elementary school (late 70's/early 80's) that would send home a checklist of kids in the class, and our parents had to sign off that we included everyone.  Otherwise, they couldn't participate - we had to give them to the teacher, and they would fill the boxes that we would put on our desks while we were at lunch.  I'll give them that much (but not much more).  However, I usually ended up getting the crappiest valentines out of the packages the kids bought (unpopular cartoon characters, etc).

My 2nd grade teacher was the absolute worst.  There were kids in my class who had parents who owned businesses.  They'd come in and hand stuff out - usually pens, keychains, etc.  One kid's dad owned a clothing store, and always had cool stuff to hand out with cool brand logos on them.  He'd always skip me.  I finally said something to the teacher.  She said "So?  Maybe he doesn't like you and he doesn't have to give you one!".  Other teachers I would have had rules about giving to everyone, or no one.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

Thankfully, we had teachers in elementary school (late 70's/early 80's) that would send home a checklist of kids in the class, and our parents had to sign off that we included everyone.  Otherwise, they couldn't participate - we had to give them to the teacher, and they would fill the boxes that we would put on our desks while we were at lunch.  I'll give them that much (but not much more).  However, I usually ended up getting the crappiest valentines out of the packages the kids bought (unpopular cartoon characters, etc).

My 2nd grade teacher was the absolute worst.  There were kids in my class who had parents who owned businesses.  They'd come in and hand stuff out - usually pens, keychains, etc.  One kid's dad owned a clothing store, and always had cool stuff to hand out with cool brand logos on them.  He'd always skip me.  I finally said something to the teacher.  She said "So?  Maybe he doesn't like you and he doesn't have to give you one!".  Other teachers I would have had rules about giving to everyone, or no one.  

Wow, that Dad and the teacher were both assholes.

On 9/29/2019 at 2:22 PM, icemiser69 said:

I hated school with a passion, from kindergarten through to high school graduation.   If that Staples commercial had come out while I was still in school, I wouldn't have been a happy camper.   Since It came out more than a decade after I graduated from high school, I can see the humor in it.

I knew my years of schooling weren't going to go well in terms of popularity.  In one of my early elementary school years, our teacher had all of us make out Valentine's cards for everyone in the class.  At least that was supposed to be what all of my classmates were supposed to do.  Then the teacher would give us all small paper bags to decorate and then tape the bags up on the edge of the chalkboard.  We would all walk up one by one and put cards in each of the paper bags.   Needless to say, most of the students made out multiple Valentine's Day cards for their friends and stiffed the least popular kid (me).   I think I took home five cards, one of them was from the teacher.

Charlie Brown can complain all he wants that on Halloween he kept getting rocks.  Well, at least the candy givers thought enough of him to give him a rock.  They could have given him the finger.

If there is one thing I don't miss it is school.

That's horrible. I'm so sorry. 

• Love 2
On 9/29/2019 at 5:17 PM, Jordan Baker said:

image.png.f6e598157133b7bbb276e126437bfd16.png

That's because everyone is talking about it in the Commercials that Annoy, Irritate, or Outrage.

• Love 1
On 9/29/2019 at 4:22 PM, icemiser69 said:

In one of my early elementary school years, our teacher had all of us make out Valentine's cards for everyone in the class.  At least that was supposed to be what all of my classmates were supposed to do.  Then the teacher would give us all small paper bags to decorate and then tape the bags up on the edge of the chalkboard.  We would all walk up one by one and put cards in each of the paper bags.   Needless to say, most of the students made out multiple Valentine's Day cards for their friends and stiffed the least popular kid (me). 

That's how it was in my elementary school, too, complete with the decorated paper bags taped to the chalkboard.  My mother made me write a card out for every kid, even if it just had my name on it, but other kids' mothers weren't as conscientious.  I loved school despite that (and despite not being in any way shape or form popular), but I have harbored an intense hatred of Valentine's Day ever since.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Holidays don't bother me.  However, when I was contacted for my first high school reunion I did tell them to put me on their "do not call list".    That was the last time I spoke to any of them.  That worked out fine for awhile, that is until the 25 year reunion.   When they tried to contact me again through a friend from a different graduation class.  I wasn't a happy camper.   That friend was oblivious as to what was going on with me from elementary school through high school.   Graduated a year behind me.

As I said before, those Valentine's day cards were just the tip of the iceberg of all of the horribleness that was yet to come.   It is far better to move on than go back.

I do like all of the M&M commercials, except for the one where there is M&M on M&M crime.   Poor hazelnut M&M he or she will be missed.    All that was left were his or her shoes and gloves.

Amen. I was not part of any clique during high school (probably because I was 2 1/2 years younger than most of my class). I was treated badly by 99% of them. What I *felt like* saying was "I didn't like you people back then, why would I associate with you now?"  

I *might* go to the 60th in 2024. By then, there will probably be few enough of them left that it would be tolerable. 

• Love 3

If I had money to buy a new car, Subaru would definitely be on my list, besides the fact that they are one of two car makers that have a vehicle in aqua or turquoise. And yes, I would buy a car based on color, after checking out all the other stuff. But there's several new ads with the Golden Retriever family. I just love them. One has the family going to the hot dog stand, as they get ready to chow down, several Dachshunds come up, the looks are so precious, especially between the puppy golden and the puppy Dachshund. 

Another one, they're driving on the highway, getting ready to pass a truck, the puppy in the car seat starts to whimper, catches the attention of the boxer/mix dog driving the truck, he pumps his paw and the boxer/mix dog pulls his air horn. So darn cute.

Edited by friendperidot
saw the ad again, I think it's a boxer/mix not a bull dog
  • Love 17
18 hours ago, friendperidot said:

If I had money to buy a new car, Subaru would definitely be on my list, besides the fact that they are one of two car makers that have a vehicle in aqua or turquoise. And yes, I would buy a car based on color, after checking out all the other stuff. But there's several new ads with the Golden Retriever family. I just love them. One has the family going to the hot dog stand, as they get ready to chow down, several Dachshunds come up, the looks are so precious, especially between the puppy golden and the puppy Dachshund. 

Another one, they're driving on the highway, getting ready to pass a truck, the puppy in the car seat starts to whimper, catches the attention of the boxer/mix dog driving the truck, he pumps his paw and the boxer/mix dog pulls his air horn. So darn cute.

I like the one where the dog keeps getting out and going to visit a neighbor. He keeps doing this till the end of the commercial where the owner take him to visit. I tear up a little when the now years older neighbor cradles the dogs head and says" You got out again."

• Love 11
On 10/1/2019 at 11:29 PM, friendperidot said:

Is that the one where the fine print at the bottom says something like "do not attempt"?  I had to chuckle at that.  Do not attempt what?  Training your dogs to drive?  Letting them get hot dogs?

ETA

Just saw one of them. The fine print said, among other things, "professional drivers on a closed course". So where is this professional dog driver training school??

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I keep telling myself get your cards paid off so you can afford a Subaru. One day.

I love the commercials with the Golden family. Have you seen the one where they take the car to get it washed and a bunch of bull dogs ( I think that's what they are) wash the car but can only reach and clean the bottom part of the car because they're so short? So cute!

• Love 10

New Geico commercial with 2 girls/roommates who announce they're looking for someone to clean, who also has to like cats. They hire 'Griselda', a witchy old crone seen at the stove surrounded by smoking, bubbling cauldrons, with a horde of cats around her feet. Griselda brings a cup of 'something' to one of the girls, who turns into a cute, giant cat. 

Happy Halloween from Geico!

• Love 7
On ‎08‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:20 PM, MargoChanning said:

I notice so many companies now including interracial relationships, families, couples, etc., which is great even if it did take this long.  But this is my favorite.  I can't really articulate why but it is just so real.  No over-the-top acting (in my opinion anyway) and not really hammering home the fact that it's an interracial wedding.  Plus, no one looks like they just walked off a runway.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncjfF4iVgFg

I like that commercial, but I do tell it every time that the guy can eat a serving of prime rib at his daughter's wedding.

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 9:47 PM, Yeah No said:

I knew I'd find people here that love the slow turkey commercials.  And I love his house and cute little retro truck too.  I get like a kid whenever they come on.  Now whenever I drive home and wild turkeys are crossing in front of me I call them the slow turkeys and hear that music in my mind!  And yes, they are pretty slow!

I like the commercials, but find myself getting hung up on things like "why is the turkey wearing flip flops?".

• Love 2
On ‎09‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:30 PM, foxfreakinmulder said:

The AT&T "just ok" commercials.  

Especially the one with the interpreter whose Dutch is just okay.

"Knuffel?" And then the one guy gets up and awkwardly hugs the interpreter's client.

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 8:58 PM, xaxat said:

I like the "twist" and NO, I have never daydreamed about being an astronaut when I was bored!

I have, but then, my first memory from childhood was watching Neil Armstrong walk on the moon.

I do like this commercial a lot.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
On 10/1/2019 at 8:29 PM, friendperidot said:

Here's a compilation of just some of them.  (It doesn't include my current favourite "No Pets Allowed" or Friendsperidot's.  I couldn't get them to embed, but you can find them through Google.)

• Love 16
10 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Here's a compilation of just some of them. 

Some of those I'd never seen before, like the one where the "teenager" gets caught making out in the car.  Or the one with the gas station bathroom, which made me laugh out loud (once I stifled my "that toilet would be so disgusting!" reaction).

• Love 8