Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

I'm only seeing them during Wimbledon but Mass Mutual has two of my current fav ads--

The Daughter opening an email confirming her acceptance to college. I love the group celebration.

And Dad and Daughter at her wedding switching from the traditional dance to the BEST jam ever.  They give my Southwest Dancing Wedding Girl a run for her money!  

• Love 7
(edited)
On 7/1/2019 at 12:18 PM, ButterQueen said:

I love Sheryl’s She Shed commercial.

I wonder how long it'll be before Sheryl's chi-chier she shed catches on fire. Her husband saying "that's wonderful news" makes me think he's already plotting.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2
On 6/26/2019 at 8:35 AM, Woopwoopkitty said:

Ditto. I’d never heard of them.  Apparently I watch the wrong channels.  I think the man who does the voiceover has done some books on tape work, he sounds familiar that way. 

I don't listen to audio books but his voice was familiar to me too.  Maybe he did one of the Ken Burns documentaries?  He almost sounds like the guy who read the Ballou letter.

Thanks from me for these ads too, because I've never seen them either.  One of the perils of DVR'ing everything -- we occasionally miss a good ad.

I saw a commercial for Corolla playing Ricky Nelson's Travelin' Man that made me smile. If I had a dollar for every time I met a man and they started singing the flip side of that 45, I'd be a richer woman than I am now.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I saw a commercial for Corolla playing Ricky Nelson's Travelin' Man that made me smile. If I had a dollar for every time I met a man and they started singing the flip side of that 45, I'd be a richer woman than I am now.

Your name is Mary Lou?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Your name is Mary Lou?

Yes, and so was my best friend growing up. I'm surprised we didn't wear that record out playing it over and over. And we knew Ricky wrote it just for us! Now when someone starts singing it to me - major eye roll.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Yes, and so was my best friend growing up. I'm surprised we didn't wear that record out playing it over and over. And we knew Ricky wrote it just for us! Now when someone starts singing it to me - major eye roll.

But Ricky didn't write it. I was astonished when I learned Gene Pitney had written it!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But Ricky didn't write it. I was astonished when I learned Gene Pitney had written it!

Yes, and he also wrote "He's a Rebel" for The Crystals, which hit #1. Right behind it on the charts, unable to dislodge it from #1 was "Only Love Can Break a Heart". Gene sang that song but did not write it (I think it was a Bacharach/David song).

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

I'm , My Bonnie lies over the ocean or hey Bonnie where's Clyde. I got sick of the last one and replied " I got tired of him asking me stupid questions and shot him" . Not long after I started replying that way that question stopped. This was in high school , at 62 most men are wise enough not to comment on names, and it seems its mostly guys who do this.

Edited by crazycatlady58
Needed to add a thought.
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Brookside said:

I generally despise ads, but there's one for men's underwear when a kangaroo kicks a man in the crotch that makes me laugh.

That sounded like a Duluth Trading Co. commercial to me, but I couldn't place it, so I went looking and that's because it's not part of that series at all.  It's a Hanes commercial I'd never seen:

I like the Duluth ads much better.

• Love 7

Oh god, to reply to this ongoing thread...I'm an "Alison" which has meant endless renditions of the Elvis Costello hit being sung at me over the years and I'm really not a fan of the song 😞

Getting back on topic: I continue to enjoy the snarky Flo/Prudential Insurance TV ads (have I got the company right? I am a marketing fail every time as I focus on all the "wrong" aspects of the commercial). The one with her sister on a date with a poor schlub trying to impress and Flo showing up as the "ride" is soooo cold. 🙂

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I continue to enjoy the snarky Flo/Prudential Insurance TV ads (have I got the company right? I am a marketing fail every time as I focus on all the "wrong" aspects of the commercial).

Progressive, not Prudential.  🙂

• Love 2

This is by no means a favorite commercial, but there's a Progressive commercial where Flo's sister is on a date with some guy, and the guy asks her what she does for fun, and she goes, "Not this."  It's totally rude, but the way she said it made me chortle. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

I like the latest Alexa ad with the sisters who argue a lot, but then when the older sister goes away to college (or otherwise moves out), the little sister misses her and calls her. Sweet commercial.

• Love 8

That commercial was being complained about in another thread, that because she's small-busted and the bra is a lacy thing with no support, she'd have no reason to want to be out of it as soon as she got home.  Not having seen it, I said I had no issue with the concept - whatever the nature of one's breasts or bra, it can still be a welcome ritual - and now that I've seen it, I'm even more in disagreement with the criticism. 

First, it's not a frilly thing with no support, but, regardless, she's been in work clothes all day - I love the touch of the bandage on her heel, from her shoes - and she's thrilled to get comfortable as soon as she walks in the door.  She's choosing a craptacular beer to indulge in upon doing so, but the basic premise - yeah.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 17
58 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I love the touch of the bandage on her heel, from her shoes

Yes! I saw that & also thought it was a nice touch. It's a pretty realistic commercial, she drops her purse, kicks off her shoes, & gets a drink. The only thing they missed is going to the bathroom LOL

• Love 8
58 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Some people take care of that before they leave work, in case it takes much longer than they  expect to get home.

And some people do both 🙂

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Some people take care of that before they leave work, in case it takes much longer than they  expect to get home.

I've found that since I'm semi-retired, I go through more TP than I used to.

There's an Allstate ad where the dad is looking at damage to his bumper & his daughter starts speaking to him in Dennis Haysbert's voice. The closed captioning used to say, "Dennis's voice: ..." but it doesn't anymore. If you're hard of hearing and rely on captions, apparently, they don't care if you know it's their spokespersons voice coming out of the little girl.  I still like the ad, though.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 1

I don't love that it's a Facebook ad, but I love the little girl in it who goes to the Yankees game with her dad. Her chuckle when she puts on the jersey is just the most adorable thing. I like it more the more I see it which is totally unusual for me.

The other little girl in the ad is also so cute. I love the acknowledgment that dad-daughter time is important and takes forms other than Dad dressing up as a fairy or participating in "girly" activities. My dad took me fishing for years when I was a kid. I learned to enjoy nature, to drive a boat, to be patient while not much happened, how to bait a hook with a worm or a shrimp, the delicious reward of eating fish that you caught yourself. 

It's the happy reaction from Yankees girl that gives me that little touch to the heart. I guess it reminds me a little of spending that time with my father.

ETA: I have to say that I don't recall from these day trips any deep heart-to-heart conversations, or words of wisdom that I live by, or anything that would be the subject of a Hallmark movie. I remember that my dad liked spending time with me, and vice versa. Precious time.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 18
13 hours ago, Ashforth said:
13 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I don't love that it's a Facebook ad, but I love the little girl in it who goes to the Yankees game with her dad. Her chuckle when she puts on the jersey is just the most adorable thing. I like it more the more I see it which is totally unusual for me.

The other little girl in the ad is also so cute. I love the acknowledgment that dad-daughter time is important and takes forms other than Dad dressing up as a fairy or participating in "girly" activities. My dad took me fishing for years when I was a kid. I learned to enjoy nature, to drive a boat, to be patient while not much happened, how to bait a hook with a worm or a shrimp, the delicious reward of eating fish that you caught yourself. 

It's the happy reaction from Yankees girl that gives me that little touch to the heart. I guess it reminds me a little of spending that time with my father.

ETA: I have to say that I don't recall from these day trips any deep heart-to-heart conversations, or words of wisdom that I live by, or anything that would be the subject of a Hallmark movie. I remember that my dad liked spending time with me, and vice versa. Precious time.

Not sure how I put your quote in a quote, dangers of posting on a tablet.

I agree with you about this commercial.  I think there should be a sub category for commercial we love but the products we hate.  I love the song by the BeeGees and the fathers and daughters are sweet, even bringing Mets and Yankees fans together.

I also enjoy the other commercial with homesick group all singing "Walking in Memphis".

Nice story about you and your dad!

• Love 5
16 hours ago, elle said:

Not sure how I put your quote in a quote, dangers of posting on a tablet.

I agree with you about this commercial.  I think there should be a sub category for commercial we love but the products we hate.  I love the song by the BeeGees and the fathers and daughters are sweet, even bringing Mets and Yankees fans together.

I also enjoy the other commercial with homesick group all singing "Walking in Memphis".

Nice story about you and your dad!

I like the commercial(s?) that feature Walking in Memphis as well! I didn't think much of the song when it first came out many years ago, but I have grown to appreciate its greatness.

I actually hadn't thought about going fishing with my father for a long time before I wrote that post, and then it came flooding back. It's funny how things jog your memory.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, elle said:

I love the song by the BeeGees and the fathers and daughters are sweet, even bringing Mets and Yankees fans together.

I especially love the dads and daughters ad because most of the daughters in the ad are not wearing pink team merch. I think one kid is? But the others aren't. And that's what I want to see because MLB needs to understand that fans want team merch in team colors, even when they're little girls. Sure someone might also enjoy the pink-themed jerseys, fine, but mostly, if I'm a Mets fan - and I am - even at age 8 I wanna be wearing orange and blue like proper Mets fans do.

• Love 10

I love the Chantix Slow Turkey - but I confess to being a little worried about him.  He seems so solitary!  I guess there is no Mrs. Turkey, but he doesn't seem to have any friends to go on his awesome camping and paddle boarding excursions!

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
On 8/12/2019 at 10:58 PM, Ashforth said:

I'm not gonna lie, I think some of the Progressive ads are great, and... I love Flo.

I like the one with Flo introducing the new agent to the family.

I think it's the teenage boy going, "You're not my dad!" Cracks me up every time. 

• Love 6