Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, mojoween said:

While I normally weep at Queen being used to sell crap, I think Camila Cabelo is so damned pretty and the lipstick colors are so awesome that I love this commercial.  And I mean, it’s also a kickass song.

I don't know about chocolate scented lipstick.  It might make me hungry all the time.  The colors are nice though.

• Love 2

Possibly very late to the party with this (I did go back quite a few pages and didn't see it) as I think it's already out of rotation, but I love the Carvana commercial with the blow up dancing thing (don't know what you call them).  He gets disgusted with all the extra hidden charges at the dealership where he works and goes home and orders himself a car online from Carvana.  The "people" are so cute and the music is so peppy!

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, captain1 said:

Possibly very late to the party with this (I did go back quite a few pages and didn't see it) as I think it's already out of rotation, but I love the Carvana commercial with the blow up dancing thing (don't know what you call them).  He gets disgusted with all the extra hidden charges at the dealership where he works and goes home and orders himself a car online from Carvana.  The "people" are so cute and the music is so peppy!

I love that when Dad comes home, Mom is reading Wavy Winston to the little baby blow up dancing thing (I don't know what they are called either).

Just Googled: they are called Air Dancers.

Edited by configdotsys
Added a line.
  • Love 3

I found the rare Geico ad that I actually don't mind being overplayed, because it's the one with Alexander Graham Bell who answers the phone with "Ahoy hoy!"  It reminds me of my uncle, who uses Ahoy as a substitute for Hello (but only in person, not on the phone).

• Love 12
12 hours ago, EighteenTwelve said:

I found the rare Geico ad that I actually don't mind being overplayed, because it's the one with Alexander Graham Bell who answers the phone with "Ahoy hoy!"  It reminds me of my uncle, who uses Ahoy as a substitute for Hello (but only in person, not on the phone).

I love that commercial. And that he's one they probably want two. 

• Love 1
On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:27 AM, EighteenTwelve said:

I'm determined to start answering my phone that way.

• Love 4
On 7/31/2018 at 4:06 PM, captain1 said:

I just love how they convey so many facial expressions with just a few lines.

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:13 PM, mojoween said:

I can’t find an ad online to link but I find the guy who does the voiceover in the Bass Pro shops ads to be so incredibly soothing.  I love to listen to him.

My hubby said it was on purpose to give me subliminal messages to buy more crap at Bass and Cabela’s.

While I normally weep at Queen being used to sell crap, I think Camila Cabelo is so damned pretty and the lipstick colors are so awesome that I love this commercial.  And I mean, it’s also a kickass song.

I love this one too. One of the YouTube comments said the same thing I was thinking about the commercial giving an 80's sitcom intro vibe. It reminded me of The Facts of Life.

10 hours ago, rmcrae said:

I love this one too. One of the YouTube comments said the same thing I was thinking about the commercial giving an 80's sitcom intro vibe. It reminded me of The Facts of Life.

Speaking of the Facts of Life, I read that Charlotte Rae passed yesterday. RIP.

• Love 2

Just saw the best ad I've seen in a long time.  Apparently, it's not new but I had never seen it and a quick search thru the Forums didn't show me any threads where it was discussed before.  It caught my attention because of the music from Up.  Well done,  Save The Food!

On 6/11/2018 at 10:19 AM, Pepper the Cat said:

That has always been my take. She is trying to get her annoying, lazy ass adult daughter to move out 

I think the mom is trying to get her daughter to move out, too.  I do like to announce "I'M MAKING SMOOTHIES!!!!" a lot around the house.  

• Love 4
On 8/1/2018 at 9:27 AM, EighteenTwelve said:

On 8/2/2018 at 3:33 PM, funky-rat said:

Mr. Burns on The Simpsons answers the phone "Ahoy hoy!".

In both these cases, additional humor (or the principal joke, depending on one's point of view) comes from the fact that "Ahoy hoy!" was indeed Alexander Graham Bell's preference for how people should answer the phone. And as it was his invention, he thought his recommendation should be followed -- but the world chose otherwise. But Mr. Burns, being no doubt a friend of his, would hold firm on his form of salutation.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But it's NOT Bell's invention.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Meucci

I've heard that Bell saw Meucci's patent application & stole the idea from there. Not so sure about that, but Meucci invented a telephone before Bell did.

Meucci may have built a telephone, but that's not what's in the patent caveat quoted on that page. I'm sure a lot of folks were trying to come up with something using similar principles. You can dispute the Wright Brothers claim too. Bell is the name most people would recognize, so it was the best choice for the ad.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Bell is the name most people would recognize, so it was the best choice for the ad.

Especially as he was the promoter of "Ahoy hoy" as the proper way to pick up a phone.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

Especially as he was the promoter of "Ahoy hoy" as the proper way to pick up a phone.

Re this commercial: The announcer goes "as long as people talk too loudly on the phone, you can count on Geico saving folks money." Why do I have a feeling the original script read "as long as people use their phones in theaters, you can count on Geico saving folks money"--and this line was revised when it was realized that the target market uses their phones in theaters?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

Re this commercial: The announcer goes "as long as people talk too loudly on the phone, you can count on Geico saving folks money." Why do I have a feeling the original script read "as long as people use their phones in theaters, you can count on Geico saving folks money"--and this line was revised when it was realized that the target market uses their phones in theaters?

Seriously, morons use their phones in theaters?

• Love 2

Ok. Apparently I am TWELVE, but I die over the Dollar Shave Club spots.  The pudgy dude in a towel powdering his nether regions,  the dude shoving tissues in his underpants to look "endowed".  

Hysterical & tasteless.  So. Yup.  I'm in.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

Ok. Apparently I am TWELVE, but I die over the Dollar Shave Club spots.  The pudgy dude in a towel powdering his nether regions,  the dude shoving tissues in his underpants to look "endowed".  

Hysterical & tasteless.  So. Yup.  I'm in.

LOL - These are the ads I came here to post too.  Just saw the "Getting Ready" ad for the first time, and had to rewind to make sure I saw what I saw.  Funny!

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/d1J8/dollar-shave-club-getting-ready-song-by-sammy-davis-jr

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, Tunia said:

LOL - These are the ads I came here to post too.  Just saw the "Getting Ready" ad for the first time, and had to rewind to make sure I saw what I saw.  Funny!

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/d1J8/dollar-shave-club-getting-ready-song-by-sammy-davis-jr

So, the guy who blows his nose isn't on the one I see.  The look on his woman's face is PRICELESS!

Wonder why that version doesn't have the chubby guy in the towel?  He's sort of squatting, and a big puff of powder comes out from under the towel.  I bust up every time.

So, I just watched several of their spots.  So clever!  Makes me wonder why we have to suffer through so many crappy commercials?

Edited by zillabreeze
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

So, the guy who blows his nose isn't on the one I see.  The look on his woman's face is PRICELESS!

Yes!  That is my favorite part of the commercial.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

Makes me wonder why we have to suffer through so many crappy commercials?

Humor, even the slightly tasteless type, is the best way to "sell" me...it'll grab my attention and even make me rewind to watch it again.

• Love 2

Okay - I dare someone to watch this an not get a bit teary.  Larry Fitzgerald is a MN boy done good.  (There is my college education!!)  I love this commercial as Larry Fitzgerald has made millions, has millions, yet he finished that degree.  Good job, Larry!!!

Plus there is nothing like a love a son has for his mom.  (I am biased, I know!!!)

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 4

I do enjoy the Farmer’s commercials with the guy who was on L&O SVU as the captain. He says “ We’ve covered a thing or two because we’ve seen a thing or two”. Hope I quoted that right. I think those commercials are clever and for a change, not insulting to our intelligence.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Gam2 said:

I do enjoy the Farmer’s commercials with the guy who was on L&O SVU as the captain. He says “ We’ve covered a thing or two because we’ve seen a thing or two”. Hope I quoted that right. I think those commercials are clever and for a change, not insulting to our intelligence.

As opposed to Flo and company?  

I agree  - I like Farmer's for that reason.  I have State Farm in reality!!

• Love 7

Except I wonder how how actual damage a squirrel can cause by throwing a pinecone.

It's not just one squirrel throwing a pinecone, it's a whole gang of them. That might cause some dents. I rather enjoy those ads also. And he wasn't the Captain on L&O SVU, he was the shrink on regular L&O, his name is JK Simmons and he won an academy award for best supporting actor in Whiplash. He was the Captain on The Closer.

• Love 10

Simmons was also in the 90s revival of Guys and Dolls on Broadway. He's one of three guys singing my favorite song from that show - "Fugue for Tinhorns."  You know it  - "I got the horse right here, his name is Paul Revere, and a guy who says if the weather's clear...Can do, Can do. He says the horse can do."

Oh, here it is... Simmon's is the guy singing about Valentine. 

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 4
On 8/11/2018 at 6:27 PM, Bastet said:

Yes!  That is my favorite part of the commercial.

Oh dear God, I have lived that and had the same look on my face, too! It takes me way back to my senior year in high school and our senior football players were trying to teach a bunch of us senior girls for our Power Puff football game. It was total mayhem, but when one of my "coaches" blew his snot rocket (his term, not mine) where we were practicing, I wasn't the only one that about barfed and us being girls, we avoided the area where the "rocket" landed. Yuck!

15 hours ago, friendperidot said:

He was the Captain on The Closer.

Assistant Chief (and then Chief).  But, yeah - J.K. Simmons is made of win in everything, including those Farmers commercials.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Assistant Chief (and then Chief).  But, yeah - J.K. Simmons is made of win in everything, including those Farmers commercials.

I know him as Vern Schillinger from Oz and he can even make a brutal neo Nazi prisoner be made of win.  Nope, that just sounds wrong.

• Love 7
On 1/29/2018 at 8:06 PM, Brattinella said:

I could look at Clydesdales all day long.  I just saw a video with Shire Horses, I think they are a variant of Clydesdales.  The female was dying of colic, and the male rushed to her side (10 years together) and he kept biting her neck and tugging on her mane until she got up.  They were minutes away from putting her down!  I cried like a baby, he saved her!  Beatrice and Beau.

Seven months late to the party, but wanted to say that I hate Bud/love the Clydesdales . . . and they came to our town last March to appear in the annual week-after-St. Patrick's Day Irish Parade! They stayed at the Seaport Museum (one of our major local attractions), where a fancy, portable stable was set up for them. They had visiting hours when you could go in and I got a nice photo of my kids with them. Beautiful, immaculately groomed, and very chill animals. They look even better in person and seem to know it. :)

• Love 5

I could look at Clydesdales all day long.  I just saw a video with Shire Horses, I think they are a variant of Clydesdales.  The female was dying of colic, and the male rushed to her side (10 years together) and he kept biting her neck and tugging on her mane until she got up.  They were minutes away from putting her down!  I cried like a baby, he saved her!  Beatrice and Beau.

Seven months late to the party, but wanted to say that I hate Bud/love the Clydesdales . . . and they came to our town last March to appear in the annual week-after-St. Patrick's Day Irish Parade! They stayed at the Seaport Museum (one of our major local attractions), where a fancy, portable stable was set up for them. They had visiting hours when you could go in and I got a nice photo of my kids with them. Beautiful, immaculately groomed, and very chill animals. They look even better in person and seem to know it. :)

Taking this to Small Talk. :)