Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
pennben

Women's Soccer/Football and WWC 2015

OMIGOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  3-0!!!!!  I'm getting chills just watching this!

It's as if we rediscovered our entire finishing capability and saved it all for the very last game!

And Carli just scored AGAIN! 

Edited by SophiaD
  • Like 1

I'm swooning. I mean, yeah, that's on the keeper, but it's still a 50 yard shot.

Okay, back to being nervous.  If they blow this, they will never recover, I will never recover!

These last few games have been really great.  Now, if only we could convince/blackmail/coerce FiFa into giving the women actual GRASS to play on.

• Like 4

Total class Carli. Giving the arm band to Abby after scoring the only hat trick ever.

• Like 3

The USA ladies took down the two best teams in the world handily.

I'm not a Solo fan due to her off field actions, but these goals weren't on her, and she made at least 4 good saves tonight and was on point all tournament.

• Like 1

Holy crap Carli Lloyd! Wow!

Also having models in black cocktail dresses present the trophies is the most FIFA thing ever.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Like 4

Also having models in black cocktail dresses present the trophies is the most FIFA thing ever.

It's just Sepp's way of almost being there in person, right? (Thank you, Loretta Lynch, for making sure that he wasn't.) Hey, FIFA: I could deal with the Robert Palmer trophy girls if the women got to play on grass and got paid the same as the men.

Carli Lloyd was fanfuckingtastic. What a game.

• Like 2

WoooooHooooo!!!!

Congratulations to Team USA on winning the 2015 World Cup in Women's Soccer (okay, okay -- Football).

SO thrilled for these women -- all those years of dedication, hard training, and sacrifice are only now starting to pay off.

With her domestic violence issues, it saddens me to see Hope Solo on the field.  She was a real piece of work when she was on DWTS.

There seem to be different standards for male and female athletes.

I was quite impressed that FOX didn't turn the camera away when Abby went and found and kissed her wife. I guess FOX Sports is more progressive than I anticipated.

Their camerawork, however, was so annoying. Why couldn't they just focus on the trophy presentations and the platform instead of zooming the camera on the wire all over the stadium?

• Like 3

No, actually, I don't think there are. If you can play, you play. That's all American sports. People point out how Ray Rice got what he got and Hope Solo didn't. Ray Rice couldn't play at that high level at the time he beat his gf. Had he been coming off a 2000 yard season, it would have been different. I don't think it's right, but it's consistent in the USA. 

From the game, good for Lloyd for passing the captain's armband to Abby for one last time. I mean, you got 3 goals in the WC in 16 minutes! for the first time ever. And she passed the arm band without hesitation. Let's promote players like that and ask the rest to reach for that standard. 

• Like 1

Just jumping in to say how happy I am. What a game! That mid-field shot was particularly fun. I remember watching the '99 team win against China as a kid and going crazy with my family, and I'm really glad we got to do the same today.

• Like 1

Deleted, because my ramblings aren't that relevant.  Well done, USA.

Also, I loved the female Mountie, but wanted equal time for those among us who find guys attractive with the medal-carriers.  The ladies were very pretty, but some male eye candy would have been nice, too. ;)

Edited by SophiaD
  • Like 1

They gave the Golden Boot to Sasic even though she and Lloyd had the same number of goals, but Lloyd got the Golden Ball.

Olympic qualifying as a result of this went to France and Germany. I guess USA has it as defending Olympic champions? England would have gotten Olympic qualifying, but there is no English Olympic team. Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland tied for third place Olympic qualifier, so they will have a tournament early next year to play for the final automatic position.

Deleted, because my ramblings aren't that relevant.  Well done, USA.

Hee!  I deleted one because my thoughts weren't coherent from joy!!  Have finally calmed enough to type real words!  So, so thrilled for the team.  Well-played!!!!

Did anyone see Alexi Lalas' prediction before the game? He got way into it, to a hilariously absurd degree. Ahh, classic Lalas! I need video.

• Like 2

They gave the Golden Boot to Sasic even though she and Lloyd had the same number of goals, but Lloyd got the Golden Ball.

My understanding, based on the broadcast was that it went to the third tie-breaker rule: If tied for goals (they tied), next go to assists (they tied), then go to minutes played, the player that had the goals/assists in the fewest minutes wins (Sasic). 

• Like 2

I mean, yeah, that's on the keeper, but it's still a 50 yard shot

I didn't catch the beginning of that play---did the ball go straight from Solo to Lloyd? They were hugging after that goal. If so, that would be an assist on Solo's part, and quite impressive.

It didn't, it was a turnover high on the US side that Carli then took the shot with (Hope never touched it).  My understanding is that Lloyd and Solo have been great friends for years, so it was cool that Carli was far enough back to get to go to Hope to celebrate the goal.

Edited by pennben
  • Like 1

That wouldn't be an assist for Solo. Lloyd collected the ball, carried it, and made a clear move around a defender before taking the shot.

I meant the Japanese keeper blew it. She was too far out. Lloyd recognized and delivered a precision shot. But you don't give up a 50 yard goal in the world cup.

• Like 1

I don't care what the sport is or who the team is as I will never, ever enjoy seeing members of a losing team cry.  Oh how I wanted to reach out and hug the Japanese keeper.

• Like 3

Carli Lloyd scored from the middle of the field.

Just think about that for a minute.

That was humiliating for that Japanese goalie.  I'm shocked she wasn't taken out after that.  Pretty epic mistake.

These women were class the whole way.  Never took cheap shots at other players and they don't play dirty.  They were a team the entire way.  No one was more important than anyone else.  If I had a criticism for the men's team it's that they need to learn that lesson.

• Like 2

You can't really burn a substitution on a keeper unless they physically can't pay. As much as she blew that goal, the others weren't really on her. They just got flat out beat.

I was upstairs painting and I hear my sister go 'Holy shit!' downstairs and then start yelling up the stairs. "Are we playing Japan?" "Yes!" "Right now?" "Yes... why?" "I just turned it on and it's 22 minutes in and we're up four - nil." "Holy shit!!" And I go tearing down the stairs to see.

At halftime when we saw the midfield strike we were both just saying 'Whaaa-aaa-aaaat?!" My sister started laughing. "Those are the best goals to make." She played in high school and she scored more than once from the midfield like that. It's certainly not common but when the keeper is off their line and you've got the strength, the accuracy and the guts to go for it...

My sister followed the commentary up by saying 'I don't know if I can take any more of these sports moments.' I had flipped over to the Belmont Stakes earlier than I meant (have a hard time watching horse races live anymore) and we watched American Pharoah win the Triple Crown and she just kept going 'Is this happening? Is this happening right now?' so coming upon a World Cup final game that was 4 - 0 in the first 16 minutes was another one of those moments.

I would agree with the poster above, though, no one was beating the US yesterday. It just wasn't happening.

• Like 1

Very impressive display from the U.S. team!  Also, great job Kadeisha Buchanan on winning the Best Young Player.  She was fantastic.

I was quite impressed that FOX didn't turn the camera away when Abby went and found and kissed her wife. I guess FOX Sports is more progressive than I anticipated.

I agree that it was progressive, and good for Fox in the wake of the recent SCOTUS activity.  But as a parent, I have to say it made for some awkwardness and some conversation that I wasn't yet ready to have with my 8 and 6 year old.  It was already interesting enough that my kids pointed out that some of the players "looked like boys" (example, German goalie) and I told them it was OK, everyone is different and some women don't like to have long hair.  However, the Wambach shots caught me unprepared.

• Like 1

And I go tearing down the stairs to see.

Hey! There have already been PSAs in this thread about driving and taking stairs during games!  Seems like you made it through okay, though. What a game!

Edited by pennben

It didn't, it was a turnover high on the US side that Carli then took the shot with (Hope never touched it).  My understanding is that Lloyd and Solo have been great friends for years, so it was cool that Carli was far enough back to get to go to Hope to celebrate the goal.

For those of you who haven't followed the team that much, here's a little background on the history between Solo and Lloyd:

In the 2007 WC, then coach Greg Ryan made the controversial decision to bench Solo for the semifinals against Brazil in favor of longtime starter Scurry. His decision was based on Scurry's previous performances against Brazil, with a little added pressure from the veterans who wanted Scurry to play. Unfortunately, it backfired and the US suffered its worst loss in history. After the game, Solo was asked by a journalist to comment on Ryan's choice. She said it was the wrong choice and it was time to stop living in the past.

Needless to say, her comments did not sit well with the veteran core of players. Solo was barred from attending the third place game and was forced to fly home from China by herself. When the team regrouped for a 3 game "celebration" series later in the year, Solo was initially banned from the games, but after some pressure from TPTB at US Soccer, she was permitted to join them, provided certain other conditions were met.

During those 3 games, she was persona non grata- barred from playing, team meals, everything. All the players were in agreement with this- except for Lloyd. Lloyd was the only one who defied the wishes of the vets and stood by Solo in that time, even though her own position on the team was by no means secure. Solo even recounted a story in her memoir of Wambach cornering Lloyd after a training session and reading her the riot act for not joining in on the "Shun Hope Solo" team. Had Ryan not been fired at the end of 07, I doubt either Solo or Lloyd would have ever played for the US again. Fortunately Pia came in to the mess that was the USWNT and basically told them to get over it and just play.

All that drama just made the win in the 2008 Olympics all that sweeter, with Solo being a brick wall in the final against the same Brazil team that crushed the US the year before and Lloyd scoring the game winning goal.

• Like 4

But as a parent, I have to say it made for some awkwardness and some conversation that I wasn't yet ready to have with my 8 and 6 year old.  It was already interesting enough that my kids pointed out that some of the players "looked like boys" (example, German goalie) and I told them it was OK, everyone is different and some women don't like to have long hair.  However, the Wambach shots caught me unprepared.

"Honey, these women are happy and are all kissing each other and other people because they've just made history.  People kiss each other when they're happy.  It doesn't matter if they're both girls."

I don't see why parents make such a big deal out of these things.  If you don't make a big deal out of it then your kids won't either.  Wambach and her wife were hardly the only people kissing and to be honest, you barely saw them kissing.  When I first saw it, I thought they were sisters.  I had no idea she was married to anyone. 

Edited by CaughtOnTape
  • Like 12

Well, Hope Solo is a bit controversial... and that's putting it mildly. I think she's a hell of a competitor but a train wreck as a person.

She's certainly outspoken and there have been many many times where she's talked before or after a game and I've just been like 'Oh Lord, Hope, shut UP!' Haven't seen much commentary by her recently which is probably a good thing.

Calling out the decisions by the coaches after a game goes badly isn't the way to go. It doesn't do a hell of a lot to hold the team together. Lloyd has a reputation for being difficult with previous coaching staff as well. And, to be honest, it's not uncommon for terrific athletes to butt heads with each other and with the coaches. The trick is to find someone who can manage such competitive vibrant personalities.

But I'm glad that they got a new coach to come in and tell everyone to get over it, it was a new day and time to move forward. Sometimes, a change in coaching is just what's necessary.

ETA:

I don't see why parents make such a big deal out of these things.  If you don't make a big deal out of it then your kids won't either.  Wambach and her wife were hardly the only people kissing and to be honest, you barely saw them kissing.  When I first saw it, I thought they were sisters.  I had no idea she was married to anyone.

Well, I knew Wambach was married and when I saw that I said "Is that the wife?" I mean, clearly it was... that was a beautiful, heartfelt embrace and it was lovely to see. After Germany won all the wags came out to celebrate with them as well. The US women's team had kids on the field playing in the golden glitter and it was all celebratory. It is what it is. Sometimes women love women and sometimes men love men and sometimes women love men. It's not that difficult a concept.

Edited by Dandesun
  • Like 3

But I'm glad that they got a new coach to come in and tell everyone to get over it, it was a new day and time to move forward. Sometimes, a change in coaching is just what's necessary.

Agreed. Solo was totally in the wrong to say that to the press, the team was totally in the wrong in how they treated her, and/but it was time to just move on from it all, and it was really fortuitous that Pia came in and basically told them all to GTFO it (and that they all respected her enough to listen).

That said, I agree wholeheartedly that Hope Solo is an exceptional goalkeeper, athlete, and competitor, but is a big tool and a hot mess as a person. I wouldn't want to be her teammate, personally, because you never know the next dumb thing she's gonna do that's going to be a major distraction for the team.

Oh, I forgot to say yesterday: thought it was super classy of Lloyd to give Wambach the captain's armband, but I'm also really pleased that Wambach gave it to Rampone for the trophy ceremony. At that point really it belonged on Rampone's arm, so.

Edited by stealinghome

My back was to the TV when Carli hit the 50 yarder so I just watched the Telemundo video of the call and everything about that, including and especially the call itself, was amazing.

It happened so quickly! And the goalie got her big glove on it and it was so close to being deflected. Nobody better ever say those ladies are not talented. I mean, I can't remember who it was at the end when they were trying to kill the last three minutes, but she sprinted the entire length of the field, and this was after running for 42 minutes. Props to them all.

My back was to the TV when Carli hit the 50 yarder so I just watched the Telemundo video of the call and everything about that, including and especially the call itself, was amazing.

Did Andres Cantor make that call?  If so I'm sorry I missed it on Telemundo!

• Like 1

Im not a big soccer fan but when the US are in big games I do make a point to watch. After the Germany game and all the talk about how the US was finally getting their groove back, I actually thought the final might be a blowout, but damn no way did I think they would have scored 4 goals by halftime. After the mid-field bomb by Lloyd the game was over, and it was refreshing to hear one of the commentators actually say it. None of that "well we have to wait to see how Japan responds in the second half" and all that. Naw, this game was over.

Regarding Abby kissing her wife. I saw it and was actually curious to know who it was. I had no idea Abby was married but figured this woman is obviously special to her, but the kissing itself didnt lead me to think anything romantic... I think because they both had to stretch so far to embrace.

• Like 1

$2 million to the women for winning the World Cup vs. $8 million to the men for not coming anywhere close to the championship.  smh

• Like 4

Did Andres Cantor make that call?  If so I'm sorry I missed it on Telemundo!

It was Andres Cantor but there is a clip on You Tube of his calling all of the goals. Look it up, it's tremendous.

• Like 3

$2 million to the women for winning the World Cup vs. $8 million to the men for not coming anywhere close to the championship.  smh

ikr?! Germany got $35 million for their win and these ladies only get 2?

Either way they are an inspiration to women everywhere--I'm so proud of you ladies <3

• Like 4

Honestly I find women's soccer MUCH more entertaining than men's. Men's soccer bores me to tears in general. But I also understand why the men get paid more -- the sponsorship deals and ad revenue, not to mention worldwide viewership for the men's game is much higher than the women's.

• Like 3

To be fair, the top men's teams are really good. Spain, at the height of their dominance, was just something else to watch. There were a few matches in the Copa America too, just this last month that were entertaining. 

I'd go so far as to say the USA ladies' dominance over Germany was as 'clinical' as any of the best Spanish matches in the last Euro. The men's WC finals are typically over conservative. The men have scored 4 total goals over the last 3 world cups.

I don't know if it was a strategic decision or what, but it looked liked the directive was for the ladies to just come out and take it to Japan and see what they could do. When you think about it, the decision is quite a risk. This was the defending champions.

• Like 1

But I also understand why the men get paid more -- the sponsorship deals and ad revenue, not to mention worldwide viewership for the men's game is much higher than the women's.

I understand what you're saying, but I also think it's a bit chicken-and-egg here. How can the women's side generate more ad revenue when most of the World Cup games are exiled to Fox Sports 1 or whatever else bs channel they put the games on that like 95% of the country doesn't get? The assumption seems to be that no one will watch the games, so they can't put them on a feature channel, so the ad revenue will never be able to grow.

Except the final yesterday utterly KILLED in the ratings, so I don't belive people wouldn't watch. The ad money is there.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Like 5

The men's World Cup has always been on ESPN or some other cable network (which, I will grant that ESPN is much more ubiquitous than FS1). Fox has paid handsomely for future men's World Cups, and I'd be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts a good chunk of those games go to FS1. The truth is that sports in general has moved off the broadcast nets and is now mostly televised on cable networks. There are exceptions, of course, but the MLB, NBA and NHL are mostly shown on cable networks. Most college football/basketball games are also on cable. A good chunk of the men's college hoops tournament is on cable (some games on TruTV no less), and the entire college football playoff is on cable. So it's not so unusual for the women's games to be on FS1, which also televises a bunch of college football/basketball and MLB games.

ETA -- also remember that men's soccer is hugely popular worldwide, and the men's World Cup doesn't just generate revenue from the US -- it generates billions from worldwide sponsorship and viewership. I don't believe women's soccer has that kind of popularity worldwide.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Like 1