Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Never Say Never To Always

I'm okay with most of the casting and acting (if McManus was even 5 years older than she is, it would be better) but the hair! And Grace's hair is too much like a Manson devotee's; I saw Ginger on Gilligan's Island this morning and finally realized what they were going for with Grace: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ea/9b/47/ea9b4731c98cc66ad3ac5f0726562d4d.jpg A bit more height, teasing, and spray and it would look authentic; as it is, it looks like it's from an unknown time. I guess the stylist for the show is young and/or not trained in retro looks. Plus, no way would Grace have bare fingernails.

:) McManus a couple of years older and Duchuvny a decade younger.  

While I was googling Angela Lansbury and Manson, I came across a photo of Candice Bergen from 1966:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51732914@N04/6113410382

which reminded me of the way McManus has been styled.  It's pulled back to contrast with the hippie type girls who just wear their hair loose?

Also, I'm having trouble recognizing Manson as being in a scene half the time.  He just looks like any of the other bearded guys.  So I don't think the actor is doing a good job of portraying a mezmerizing cult leader.  Maybe they need to give him some weird contacts so he can have that hypnotic stare the real Manson had.

:) McManus a couple of years older and Duchuvny a decade younger.   While I was googling Angela Lansbury and Manson, I came across a photo of Candice Bergen from 1966:https://www.flickr.com/photos/51732914@N04/6113410382which reminded me of the way McManus has been styled.  It's pulled back to contrast with the hippie type girls who just wear their hair loose?...

That does look like it could have been the hairdo they copied for Grace, but Candice Bergen was just 20 in that photo. A well-to-do housewife with a teenage daughter in 1966 would have not left the beauty parlor without a stiff layer of hairspray. At least my mother, who wanted to portray such an image, would not have. I think McManus is doing a fine job of acting older, but the styling isn't helping.</rant>

I'm okay with Manson not appearing to be mesmerizing or special. I like the idea that he blended in and looked like any other hippie. For me, that helps explain why he didn't scare away his followers.

• Love 1

I'm okay with Manson not appearing to be mesmerizing or special. I like the idea that he blended in and looked like any other hippie. For me, that helps explain why he didn't scare away his followers.

Yeah, I think that makes sense for that reason, and also because it meant he didn't immediately alert the suspicion of every authority in Los Angeles. There are times where what he's saying almost sounds normal (e.g., not that removed from what meditation teachers say today!), and that makes sense, because if he came across as a psychotic loon 24/7, he'd have been immediately identified and locked up. The portrayal being given helps us see how he could have remained under the radar as long as he did.

• Love 2

I thought Grace hinted that Emma was an 'oops' baby - therefore she might be younger that most people assume?  I'd be willing to bet more 18/19. 

DD's character asked her why she married her husband.  She said "because I got pregnant". 

Otherwise I don't know why they would use an actress who obviously looks so young. 

• Love 1

I thought Grace hinted that Emma was an 'oops' baby - therefore she might be younger that most people assume?  I'd be willing to bet more 18/19. 

DD's character asked her why she married her husband.  She said "because I got pregnant". 

Otherwise I don't know why they would use an actress who obviously looks so young. 

That all fits until the part where Grace says Sam was the only guy she ever dated who her mother approved of.

I forgot about her saying she got married because she was pregnant. That possibly explains how she is younger.

shapeshifter - You make a good argument (Bergen/hairstyle/20s).   Even if the character is a young mother,  they don't need to style her with teen-style hair.   Some  (lots) hairspray is in order.  

• Love 1

It will be interesting to see if we'll get other celeb/celeb children analogues in future episodes...Deana Martin, Neil Young, Nancy Sinatra, and Terry Melcher (Doris Day's son) all had varying degrees of contact with Charlie prior to 1969.

As did Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys.

I remember back in the day,being slightly stoned,  sitting on a couch in the Village and listening to more stone people spouting the crap that came out of Manson's mouth and thinking how dumb it all was. I am so glad that I didn't buy into that crap.

• Love 4

I missed the Shafe/Hodiak interaction in this episode. I like their partnership and how they're getting to know each other, I like that they kept Charmaine undercover though and that she's getting more involved with what they're investigating. I'm still getting vibes off her and Shafe that I don't think are supposed to be there. I think the actors just have a nice chemistry.

Michaela McManus has won me over in this episode. I don't mind that she looks notably younger then Duchovny. I like her in the part and given what a scumbag her husband is, it doesn't bother me that she's hooking up with Sam again.