Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Everybody's Been Burned / S01.E02: The Hunter Gets Captured By the Game

Detective Sam Hodiak (David Duchovny) begins his search for a missing teen girl in the premiere of this crime series about a lawman in the 1960s trying to hunt down cult leader Charles Manson. Also: Hodiak investigates the murder of an elderly woman.

I'll try the first episode out. I'm not expecting greatness but it MIGHT be interesting. That's the best that we can expect from a Summer network show.

• Love 1

Kyle Secor turns in another fearlessly dingus-ish performance

as a suspect in Hour 2.

I was psyched to see this credit on Kyle's IMDb page.  I hope he has more screen time than his paltry recent appearance on Backstrom.  Why isn't this gorgeous and talented man starring in his own series???

And I had to look up "dingus" so thanks for that!

I can't even imagine how much the music licensing alone cost for this show... And all those phones ringing keep making me leap for my cel. :-) (i have the old fashioned tone.)

• Love 6
(edited)

Great Soundtrack!  Will Daydream believer ever be the same to me now?

I like when Manson spotted Emma at the party. The whole thing felt very predator/prey.  

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Love 2

I'm not feeling the guy playing Manson. His eyes aren't crazy enough.

That is all I could of think of too. I keep remembering the guy who played Manson in Helter Skelter and how he some how had black eyes.   This guy just was not creepy enough.

It is like  overload on trying to get point out the all  injustices of the time period in the first two episodes.   Like they had a check list,  civil unrest, racism, the war, politics, homosexuality, what are we missing an yeah throw in a interracial couple  etc...

• Love 4
Great Soundtrack!  Will Daydream believer ever be the same to me now?

I already associate the Monkees with Manson. The use of the song on Aquarias reminded me of the old urban legend that Manson had auditioned to be one of the pre-Fab Four.  Of course it isn't true, he was still locked up when the show was being cast.

I really enjoyed this show, it was a lot better than I was expecting. I was going to watch regardless because I cannot get enough of the Manson story, but the show is very good. And I am finding that the Manson stuff sometimes takes a backseat. Which is really surprising. 

I knew they were going to fictionalize the Manson story a bit for the purposes of drama, and there would be liberties taken. And though there are some liberties that have me howling (mostly the idea that a greasy little turd like Manson a) ever pimped the kind of women who big shots would partake in, and b) that they wouldn't violate his ass right quick if he ever harassed them for money), I am finding the show so enjoyable that I can, if not overlook, live with the exaggerations to the Manson resume. 

• Love 3
It is like  overload on trying to get point out the all  injustices of the time period in the first two episodes.   Like they had a check list,  civil unrest, racism, the war, politics, homosexuality, what are we missing an yeah throw in a interracial couple  etc...

It's one of those shows that try too hard to beat you over the head that this is taking place in a certain time period.  Whereas shows like Mad Men and The Americans feel much more natural while doing so.

• Love 6
(edited)

I'm giving the show a try, but I don't know enough about the real case to know what is real and what isn't. I'm assuming the stuff with the lawyer and Manson targeting his daughter didn't really happen? I do find it implausible that he can intimidate these powerful people and even taunt one of them that he has his minor daughter, and they wouldn't just immediately have him locked up or even killed "accidentally" while being arrested. Pretty convenient that the lawyer's daughter is the type to fall for a cult. So none of that really happened?

Edited by LeGrandElephant
  • Love 1
I'm giving the show a try, but I don't know enough about the real case to know what is real and what isn't. I'm assuming the stuff with the lawyer and Manson targeting his daughter didn't really happen? I do find it implausible that he can intimidate these powerful people and even taunt one of them that he has his minor daughter, and they wouldn't just immediately have him locked up or even killed "accidentally" while being arrested. Pretty convenient that the lawyer's daughter is the type to fall for a cult. So none of that really happened?

With the exception of Manson's ceaseless drive to get a record deal, pretty much anything that happens on this show that is outside of the Family, particularly anything involving Hodiak and the lawyer, did not happen. Use that as a rule of thumb when watching and you'll do fine.

The daughter of course is fictional as well, but what she goes through as a Family initiate is pretty true to real life. 

• Love 2

I thought it was surprisingly good. Maybe even Fargo and True Detective level good.

Is it coincidental or on purpose that Hodiak rhymes with Zodiak as in Aquarius being a sign of the zodiak and/or the Zodiak Killer?

...Pretty convenient that the lawyer's daughter is the type to fall for a cult.

I thought there was nothing convenient about it--I mean that Manson clearly did his research and orchestrated the whole not!coincidental meeting with her, so I'm guessing he would have just gone for the daughter of another political bigwig who had used his girls if Emma hadn't already been sneaking out with her not!boyfriend.

BTW: Emma's insistance on not using the word boyfriend seemed more 80s than 60s, and I should know.

• Love 1

Too many shaggy guys with shaggy hair and shaggy beards. I couldn't tell them apart. 

Welcome to the Hippie era!  The gals are the ones with no beards. Ah, memories.

Overall, I liked it, though it drug a bit at times (I mean "drug" in the sense of "slow", not what they're smoking).  Loved the music and the general ambience.  

So, yeah, I'm in.

Next step for me:  read Helter Skelter.

• Love 1

Interesting enough for the summer, but my reaction to the leads, ended up going differently for me.  I'm usually not a massive fan of David Duchovny, but I enjoyed his wry sense of humor in this.  Considering how things have been lately in the real world, it's not so fun watching Hodiak abusing his power like he does, but I have to imagine that's what it was like back then.  On the flipside, I was intrigued over seeing Gethin Anthony as Charles Manson, because I wanted to see him as someone other then Renly on Game of Thrones, and I actually thought some of those traits with that character, could actually work well for Manson, strangely enough.  Instead, I thought he was fine, but kind of underwhelming.  Just didn't really have a spark like I was expecting.  Maybe he'll improve, but with Hannibal coming back next week, he's going to have it rough when it comes to TV creepy psychopaths.

I kept getting Hodiak's partner and the partner's snitch mixed up. One of them needs to shave, or I might never figure this out.  Curious to see where they go with Charmain/Claire Holt.  Didn't do much tonight, but this feels like one of those roles that's going to become bigger as the show progresses.

Always great seeing Friday Night Lights' Gaius Charles (as the Nation of Islam leader.)  Also spotted Justified's David Meunier (Johnny Crowder!), as Charles' buddy/bodyguard/whatever the hell he is.  And Kyle Secor!  Why did you have to kill your wife, Bayless?!  Pembelton would not approve!

Michaela McManus will always be Greylek (a.k.a. D.A. Dead-Eyes) from Law & Order: SVU to me, but she was much better here at least.

The music was great: I wonder how much that cost them.  Well, except the bit with The Who's "I Can See For Miles", did make me think of the CSI:Cyber for a second, which is not a good thing.

• Love 3

Not bad, but as others have said, Charlie is way too clean cut here. Manson was the worst kind of stereotypical redneck/prison lifer who got a completely undeserved entree to human society because of the hippie movement (another reason to hate it). He had spent nearly his entire life on the cell block, and everything he did or said on the outside was informed by the violence and power struggles of prison life. The portrayal seems much too mellow. I always thought that Steve Railsback was perfect as Charlie in the Helter Skelter miniseries back in the day.

• Love 10
(edited)

That is all I could of think of too. I keep remembering the guy who played Manson in Helter Skelter and how he some how had black eyes.   This guy just was not creepy enough.

Yup, that was Jeremy Davies, and I don't think anyone will ever beat his Manson for skeevy, creepy accuracy. Gethin Anthony is a good actor, but not menacing enough (so far). I'm still thinking "Renly Baratheon" in most of his scenes, so he obviously hasn't won me over as Manson. Okay, that sounded horrible. Moving on . . .

In other news, Duchovny can still rock a ribbed Hanes--and my husband, whose residence in pop-culture vacuum is something I've learned to live with over sixteen years of marriage, nevertheless managed to shock and appall me by asking how I knew "that song" that he'd never heard of. The song was "White Rabbit", FFS. And he's 52 years old. So yeah, that was scarier than Manson tonight, as far as I was concerned.

Edited by spaceghostess
  • Love 17

Yup, that was Jeremy Davies, and I don't think anyone will ever beat his Manson for skeevy, creepy accuracy. Gethin Anthony is a good actor, but not menacing enough (so far). I'm still thinking "Renly Baratheon" in most of his scenes, so he obviously hasn't won me over as Manson. Okay, that sounded horrible. Moving on . . .

In other news, Duchovny can still rock a ribbed Hanes--and my husband, whose residence in pop-culture vacuum is something I've learned to live with over sixteen years of marriage, nevertheless managed to shock and appall me by asking how I knew "that song" that he'd never heard of. The song was "White Rabbit", FFS. And he's 52 years old. So yeah, that was scarier than Manson tonight, as far as I was concerned.

I was actually thinking Steve Railsback  from the 1970's version but Jeremy was better then this guy too.

• Love 4

I'll keep watching for now, although I was also confused by the guys who looked the same, and didn't really like multiple story lines. 

I looked up Helter Skelter, online, but I'm afraid to watch it. True Detective, and another show, gave me nightmares. I watch Hannibal, but almost quit that last year. Manson has always creeped me out, and Jim Jones - we had a family friend who was bothered by his people, after her sister got involved with him. I can't remember why. I've always been skeeved out by gurus, and people who do whatever they say.

• Love 1

I think I'm okay with the more understated portrayal of Manson here, since we're going to see so much of him and it has to be believable that anyone would be drawn in by him. Also, most of the previous versions we've seen of him are Charlie when he's in a much worse place and spiraling out of control, so he does need somewhere to go. 

• Love 6

I'm not so sure Manson was ever this sane, and he certainly never had the clout we're seeing with the law firm. It's an interesting show for the backdrop of what was happening in Los Angeles at the time. I spent the summer of 1970 out there visiting relatives, so I remember much of the protests, the Hare Krishnas everywhere. I'm also having trouble telling who's who since the guys all look alike.

...I kept getting Hodiak's partner and the partner's snitch mixed up...

I did too, so during the first commercial break I looked them up on IMDb to see what else they'd done, and that somehow allowed me to tell them apart thereafter.

...The music was great: I wonder how much that cost them.  Well, except the bit with The Who's "I Can See For Miles", did make me think of the CSI:Cyber for a second, which is not a good thing.

And it would have been so great if we hadn't already heard it on CSI Cyber!!! The folks from Aquarius who purchased the rights to the songs should demand a deep discount for that one now!

I think I'm okay with the more understated portrayal of Manson here, since we're going to see so much of him and it has to be believable that anyone would be drawn in by him. Also, most of the previous versions we've seen of him are Charlie when he's in a much worse place and spiraling out of control, so he does need somewhere to go.

Me too. I haven't seen the previous versions or books, but I was a hippy hitchhiking around, staying in communes just a few years after this is set, so I met a lot of wannabe gurus and just barely escaped from a few bad guys, and I do find this portrayal of Manson to be believable in the sense that I can imagine he would both commit the crimes and be able to attract and control followers. I traveled with art supplies and a sleeping bag, nearly always sleeping alone and trading portraits for food, so my experiences were more like those of an anthropologist or journalist or even an undercover cop--although I fear the blonde cop might actually become a follower, based on her confession to getting a buzz from being undercover.
  • Love 5

I'm not so sure Manson was ever this sane, and he certainly never had the clout we're seeing with the law firm. It's an interesting show for the backdrop of what was happening in Los Angeles at the time. I spent the summer of 1970 out there visiting relatives, so I remember much of the protests, the Hare Krishnas everywhere. I'm also having trouble telling who's who since the guys all look alike.

I do think Manson would have seemed, "sane" at this point. We're in the good period of con-man Charlie. His family is still coming together, he's not able to behave as badly as he will in a couple of years. And he's not playing messiah quite yet, still building up to it with faux hippie guru. 

But 100% agree about the law firm stuff. It's juicy and good drama, but pretty ludicrous. But at least they gave an in-show plausible reason why fancy lawyers are doing his bidding. It's an interesting thing to do since everyone knows Manson, and I wonder where they're going with him. Is it just going to be another angle of his manipulation, or a deeper character point? As long as we're not going down the road of Manson was so evil because he was secretly attracted to men, I'm in to find out. 

• Love 3

Charlie Manson is a scrawny 5'2" and looked younger than he was.  One of the reasons he was able to attract young

teenage girls is that he looked safe.  All of the crazy eyes and trying to seem intimidating came after he was convicted for the

murders.  He wanted the attention and the interviews, so he gave people what they expected. 

If you didn't know who he was, does the guy below look dangerous?

tumblr_mmz5csavfy1qbydm9o1_500.jpg

• Love 4
(edited)

Welcome to the Hippie era!  The gals are the ones with no beards. Ah, memories.

Overall, I liked it, though it drug a bit at times (I mean "drug" in the sense of "slow", not what they're smoking).  Loved the music and the general ambience.  

So, yeah, I'm in.

Next step for me:  read Helter Skelter.

I thought it dragged an awful lot, which was why I couldn't get into it.  I could've done without the music as well to be honest, despite the show being set in the 60s.

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 1

And Kyle Secor!  Why did you have to kill your wife, Bayless?!  Pembleton would not approve!

Glad to see Kyle having a meatier guest-star role than I've seen him in for a while.  He did not disappoint.  Now if Andre Braughter could just get him a gig on Brooklyn Nine-Nine!

by asking how I knew "that song" that he'd never heard of. The song was "White Rabbit", FFS. And he's 52 years old. So yeah, that was scarier than Manson tonight, as far as I was concerned.

Now that I've stopped LOLing, you have my condolences.

• Love 1
(edited)

I had the same confusion as others in regards to the snitch and the partner. I couldn't tell them apart and oddly enough my husband was able to fill me in. My husband usually plays computer while I watch tv but last night was the opposite for us. Once he explained what was going on I was able to get into it. It's funny to me how much decades repeat themselves. Where I live everyone looks like the people on this show did last night.

I did have a hard time believing this was actually set in the late 60's. Mad Men made it more believable, perhaps due to budget issues but the whole time watching I kept thinking I was watching people pretend to be in the sixties, if that makes any sense.

And, on the Mad Men subject, I remember when it first aired all the local networks came out with shows based on that era that didn't pan out. My timing may be off but I'm thinking of ABC's Pan Am and NBC's PlayBoy Club (or whatever it was called) they were both one and done series'. Now that Mad Men is over it seems the networks are giving it another go, or it could just be my perception. However, if they are going to try again I like this Manson angle, it has me intrigued and I'm willing to add this to my DVR. I liked it as did my Husband so any show we can watch together is good in my book!

Edited by Mountainair
  • Love 2
(edited)

I only watched the first hour, it got better toward the end.  I thought all the music in the first five minutes was a little heavy handed, yeah we get it, it's the 60s. Save a little of this for later. 

I do not know any mothers of sixteen year olds who looked or wore their hair like that in 1967, but I didn't live in LA, so maybe it was different.  I'd say even hot moms looked more like Betty Draper than a Victoria's Secret model.  

Agree, a little too quippy, and the deal that he's looking for the daughter of his former girlfriend "the love of his life", has been done to death.  Since it was just the pilot I'm hoping it gets better.  

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 1
(edited)

I thought I'd like this. I tried to watch the first two episodes last night but I was bored. Then once the black guy started ranting I stopped watching. I too couldn't tell the cop and the drug guy apart.

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 1

My timing may be off but I'm thinking of ABC's Pan Am and NBC's PlayBoy Club (or whatever it was called) they were both one and done series'.

It definitely reminded me of those shows too and I know Astronauts Wives Club is also coming this Summer as well.

I was pleasantly surprised. I had read an Entertainment Weekly review that said David Duchovny was mis-cast as the lead detective, but I thought he really made the role, giving Hodiak that undercurrent of quirk that makes the stiff cop exterior more interesting. OK, I'll admit it: I spent the first half-hour waiting for him to suggest alien abduction as a possible explanation for the girl's disappearance ;-)

• Love 12

IAnd Kyle Secor!  Why did you have to kill your wife, Bayless?!  Pembelton would not approve!

I had read that he'd be in the show but I didn't recognize him until late in the episode when he was confessing.

• Love 1

With the exception of Manson's ceaseless drive to get a record deal, pretty much anything that happens on this show that is outside of the Family, particularly anything involving Hodiak and the lawyer, did not happen. Use that as a rule of thumb when watching and you'll do fine.

The daughter of course is fictional as well, but what she goes through as a Family initiate is pretty true to real life. 

I'm sort of finding the plot implausible, then. Usually the serial killer has power over the police because they don't know who he is. We're starting this episode with the idea that powerful people in charge of the police already know who he is, already know that he has this guy's daughter, etc, and are just letting him continue to intimidate them because he has blackmail material? Seems like they should be able to neutralize him easily in a variety of ways. And since it sounds like that's the part of the plot that did NOT happen in real life, they have no excuse for it not seeming plausible. (If it was true, I'd be more interested.)

I thought there was nothing convenient about it--I mean that Manson clearly did his research and orchestrated the whole not!coincidental meeting with her, so I'm guessing he would have just gone for the daughter of another political bigwig who had used his girls if Emma hadn't already been sneaking out with her not!boyfriend.

I wasn't clear. It was definitely clear that Manson researched and targeted Emma on purpose. What I meant was that its convenient that the guy he wants to get back at just happens to have a teenage daughter who is the type to fall for Manson's particular brand of BS. I gather there will always be people who are easy prey for cults, but its not true that you can just take any dissatisfied teenager and talk to her like that and she'll go along with it. Plenty of teenagers, even ones who hate their parents, would have been really creeped out by that and not had anything to do with him. But maybe the idea is just that he decided to give it a try and see, and if it didn't work he would have tried some other revenge plan. Or maybe the idea is that he somehow figured out her personality from stalking her. 

• Love 3

I enjoyed it.  I am in.  I read Helter Skelter as a kid and it creeped me out. I don't expect Charlie was quite as creepy at first.  He had to have some appeal and charisma to attract the followers like a cult leader.  I also assume the hunger they were dealing with helped a lot with his control of them. 

I remember watching a documentary on Charles Manson and they continually played a song he wrote and sang in that documentary. They had the actor playing and singing that same song when Charlie was sitting around with his group on this show.  I recognized the song.  He really wanted to be famous for his music.  It caused a lot of his motivation.   

• Love 2

I enjoyed it.  I am in.  I read Helter Skelter as a kid and it creeped me out. I don't expect Charlie was quite as creepy at first.  He had to have some appeal and charisma to attract the followers like a cult leader.  I also assume the hunger they were dealing with helped a lot with his control of them. 

I remember watching a documentary on Charles Manson and they continually played a song he wrote and sang in that documentary. They had the actor playing and singing that same song when Charlie was sitting around with his group on this show.  I recognized the song.  He really wanted to be famous for his music.  It caused a lot of his motivation.

He hung out with one or two of the Beach Boys until they figured out he was nuts. I can't remember the details, but he was expecting them to do that song. Which had something to do with him selecting the house Sharon Tate lived in.

• Love 3

Also, when the dad of the kidnapped girl was almost raped, why didn't he get in his car and run Manson over in the parking garage? I mean, yea, there'd be no story but that was that perfect time to kill him and be done with the whole thing.

I guess the ending though made up for it in the fact that e girls dad is really a jack ass too. His daughter is right there and he just wants to fuck Manson. Really? They certainly made their point that he is a douchebag that doesn't give a shit about his kid.

• Love 3

No, he doesn't -- although, in the day, the more conservative elements of society would have automatically feared him for the long hair.  Wanna-be hippies like me thought he was being set up by police.  (He's a flower child!  He didn't do it! )  Then more facts came out, and we still couldn't quite believe it, so out came the tarot cards and the I Ching to try to determine the truth.  Took us a while to be convinced. 

To modern eyes, he doesn't look very appealing -- not dangerous, just unappealing -- but in those days, he would be attractive to counter-culture types.  So I would imagine he gained followers fairly easily.  But to be bed-partners with a "square" lawyer?  That does seem a little far-fetched.

I thought it dragged an awful lot, which was why I couldn't get into it.  I could've done without the music as well to be honest, despite the show being set in the 60s.

To each their own!

• Love 3

I also assume the hunger they were dealing with helped a lot with his control of them. 

I don't see why it wouldn't have driven them to leave and get some food. It would make more sense if he were controlling them with drugs he could give them than with food that he can't give them. Weird. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Too many shaggy guys with shaggy hair and shaggy beards. I couldn't tell them apart.

Not only did the undercover cop and the guy he was buying from look alike, but so did Manson. I think that was the point.

They did a good job of illustrating Manson's ability to manipulate people to do unspeakable things. The girl seduced the unwilling not!boyfriend for the purpose of making Emma jealous; typically the bad guy would just kidnap Emma. I was ready to call BS on the father not dropping his political aspirations to rescue his daughter until the scene near the end when he was clearly obsessed with Manson as a lover. I can't identify with it, but it was believably shown--which makes me wonder why IMDb still doesn't have Brian F. O'Byrne listed as Ken Karn.

I was pleasantly surprised. I had read an Entertainment Weekly review that said David Duchovny was mis-cast as the lead detective, but I thought he really made the role, giving Hodiak that undercurrent of quirk that makes the stiff cop exterior more interesting...

I agree. Over the years I've seen Duchovny in both interviews and roles to be alternately charming, a dick, and boring. Perfect for the role.

I'm not a Mad Men watcher, but I thought the representation of the time period was pretty spot on. For instance, they showed Hodiak boxing to be in shape rather than jogging. And I didn't notice any anachronisms in the script like I usually do in shows pretending to be "talkin' bout my generation" (sorry, I couldn't resist quoting those lyrics) or set even earlier, like Manhattan which takes place in the 40s.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5

Not bad, but as others have said, Charlie is way too clean cut here. Manson was the worst kind of stereotypical redneck/prison lifer who got a completely undeserved entree to human society because of the hippie movement (another reason to hate it). He had spent nearly his entire life on the cell block, and everything he did or said on the outside was informed by the violence and power struggles of prison life. The portrayal seems much too mellow. I always thought that Steve Railsback was perfect as Charlie in the Helter Skelter miniseries back in the day.

I agree. Railsback nailed it.

I wonder if Charlie is allowed to watch from prison and if he is amused.

• Love 1

I wonder if Emma will just be around for this season. If this show lasts a few years I cant imagine her being around when the infamous murders take place.

Manson knew Denis Wilson of The Beach Boys he even lived with him for a time. Its through him that he met Terry Melcher who lived at 10050 Cielo Drive. We all know what happens after that.

Charlie Manson is a scrawny 5'2" and looked younger than he was.  One of the reasons he was able to attract young

teenage girls is that he looked safe.  All of the crazy eyes and trying to seem intimidating came after he was convicted for the

murders.  He wanted the attention and the interviews, so he gave people what they expected. 

tumblr_mmz5csavfy1qbydm9o1_500.jpg

Imo yes. There's something about him that just seems off. His eyes seem creepy, rather soul less and the smirk seems arrogant and off some how.

• Love 4

Manson knew Denis Wilson of The Beach Boys he even lived with him for a time. Its through him that he met Terry Melcher who lived at 10050 Cielo Drive. We all know what happens after that.

Thank you! That's what I was referring to in my earlier post. I knew one of the Beach Boys had a tie-in to Manson picking that house later.

I really wanted to like this show, but I only made it to the first 30 minutes.  I thought it was dull and the dialogue tedious.  It was just too slow, IMO and when Manson is more appealing than the lead, well.....I don't think I can take it.  To me the Duchovney character is just too much of  a jerk. I loved the original old music, but the other was too loud and overbearing.  It just didn't have good writing to me and I was expecting a little more sophistication.  It had such potential too.  Why can't they find better writers for a good project?  Oh well......maybe others liked it better than me, it will get a second season and better writers will follow.