Type keyword(s) to search

The Daily Show Announces The Date Trevor Noah Will Début As Host

• Start Topic

Once again, it would have been the best time for a female host. Although I knew that probably was not going to happen, I held out hope that they had quite a few male hosts that could be as witty as Jon Stewart without having to be a clone of Jon Stewart. Then I thought, well, let me think outside the box. The box got too big. I won't be watching the first episode with Trevor Noah. I felt this way before I heard about his tweets. This doesn't mean I hope he isn't successful. It just means that I have no interest in him at all. I've seen him and I think he's OK at what he does. Ahhh, Jon...you just left too big a shoe to fill.

I will admit, though, that if The Daily Show had had Trevor Noah guest quite a bit like they did with John Oliver, viewers like myself might have at least felt he fit in the slot better. I'm going to miss my 11PM-Mon-Thurs, (let's face it) Jon Stewart fix. It truly is a minor life changing event.

• Love 2

I will admit, though, that if The Daily Show had had Trevor Noah guest quite a bit like they did with John Oliver, viewers like myself might have at least felt he fit in the slot better. I'm going to miss my 11PM-Mon-Thurs, (let's face it) Jon Stewart fix. It truly is a minor life changing event.

Wait, TDS hasn't formulated that idea? And why shouldn't they since Trevor has only appeared 3 times. Surely, some test shows (at least one) should give the audience an idea of how he will present the show in his voice. 

Once again, it would have been the best time for a female host. Although I knew that probably was not going to happen, I held out hope that they had quite a few male hosts that could be as witty as Jon Stewart without having to be a clone of Jon Stewart. Then I thought, well, let me think outside the box. The box got too big. 

Well, technically Samantha Bee is about join the late-night fray when she hosts her own show on TBS soon, so I hope that will satisfy your interests. I mean, she is affiliated with TDS and she's been in this business for 12 years, so take what you get, even if it's just her standing out. 

Oh, I will definitely be following Samantha Bee! She is so ridiculously funny and would have been a great Daily Show host, even if it was temporary or possibly on a rotating basis. Yeah, that would have been cool. Pick about four different types of hosts and give them a few months a piece. Ok, now I'm just talking out of my...this horrible early summer killer cold I have. I can't even hear my ears are so plugged up. Hello???

Again, I wish Trevor Noah all the success possible from the Daily Show. Look, I'm kinda old and my opinion on these wonderful, bright, and sooo very young people, doesn't matter much anyway. It's all good.

• Love 1

I will definitely be following Samantha Bee! She is so ridiculously funny and would have been a great Daily Show host,

Samantha certainly had a few glorious moments during her tenure with TDS but as a host??? I wouldn't have been able to stand that pinched nose smuggy huffy personna for even one half hour show.

I'm looking forward to Trevor. Jon has been pretty much phoning it in for the last couple of years and Trevor is going to bring a bright, witty, new and different worldly voice to TDS. I think he'll do very well and the griping about him being chosen as The One will be forgotten in short order.

Heck, I get to go ahead and be a cord-cutter as of August 8th basically, Showtime is available through Prime, HBO through apple.   There aren't a lot of reasons to stick around for broadcast TV and Hulu can fill the bill on the rest. 

I was looking forward to Trevor Noah, but those tweets and jokes did turn me off. All the reasons I could conjure to just try to overlook them and give Noah a chance are the very same reasons he's unlikely to be a success on TDS:  He's from a different country with a very complicated, distressing and volatile history of dealing with anyone they could deem "other" .  As a product of that atmosphere, he struggled with what we would find acceptable here.   But as I read through them that attempt at understanding how someone could go that far wrong, began to wear thin and out, rather quickly.   It made me question how likely it was that Trevor Noah would be a good fit for a program primarily dealing with things he very obviously struggled with learning were out-of-bounds here.  

Then I got to the stuff about Asians and yup,  whatever.  I don't wish him ill, but combined with every other thing that he said and then described as "jokes that didn't land"  just put me off of him.  

If he excels at this, that's swell.  Good for him, but he was too many jokes over the line for me personally.  Thanks to Serial, we pretty much all know the term "Confirmation Bias" and it's political satire.  It lives next that line, perches atop it and frequently jumps over it to make a point.  Trevor Noah lost my benefit of the doubt on what that would mean.  

• Love 2
(edited)

I've come around to almost feeling sorry for Noah now, as arrogant as his attitude in the wake of the Tweetgate stuff was.  I mean he just can't win now, I think, no matter what he does.

Even worse?  This is painfully unfunny as a first look.  John's expression is the funniest thing in it, and that's not promising.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I don't know what time TBS plans to air Samantha "Female As Fuck!" Bee's show, but I'm in to give it a shot whenever it appears. Something has to fill the late night humor void.

Don't forget, Stephen Colbert's "Late Show" is debuting a few weeks before Noah's "Daily Show"... I'm going to trust that it'll be worth watching and my new late night go-to (though I personally think "The Nightly Show" has improved quite a bit in the past few weeks).

I'll just be watching John Oliver's Last Week Tonight which is absolutely fantastic. I will miss the nightly JS fix, for sure, but i have zero interest in Trevor Noah. (I wish it were something Brian Williams would come out of forced retirement to do... he'd be funny and he wouldn't give a shit at this point. But probably way more work than he's into right now.)

• Love 1

It's a good thing Twitter wasn't around when Jon was in his late twenties. Otherwise, he would have been posting shit far worse than what Trevor did, which was a thimble of his total tweets.

I don't give a fucking shit what Trevor posted on his Twitter account in the past. I give a shit how someone from another hemisphere can acclimate himself in the understanding of American politics and culture and successfully hold the torch Jon passed to him. I'll be watching Trevor on Sept. 28 with a critical eye on that.

• Love 3

I don't give a fucking shit what Trevor posted on his Twitter account in the past. I give a shit how someone from another hemisphere can acclimate himself in the understanding of American politics and culture and successfully hold the torch Jon passed to him. I'll be watching Trevor on Sept. 28 with a critical eye on that.

You can already see this at work with much less serious material than politics, and with someone from a culture closer to ours than South Africa, with recent US immigrant, Englishman James Corden. Even just in terms of general culture and day to day matters of life in the US, you can clearly see the cracks where Corden writing staff are (awkwardly) filing in the blanks for him.  Noah, having to deal with even more important material, and coming from South Africa, has an even bigger hill to climb. And THEN he has to deal with the fact that out of the gate he's already made himself unlikeable to a good part of his audience.

I am not hopeful here.

• Love 3

Wait, TDS hasn't formulated that idea? And why shouldn't they since Trevor has only appeared 3 times. Surely, some test shows (at least one) should give the audience an idea of how he will present the show in his voice. 

Well, technically Samantha Bee is about join the late-night fray when she hosts her own show on TBS soon, so I hope that will satisfy your interests. I mean, she is affiliated with TDS and she's been in this business for 12 years, so take what you get, even if it's just her standing out. 

If Samantha Bee gets a late-night show, when would it air?

Before Conan: Wouldn't that be awkward?

After Conan: Wouldn't that be awkward?

On Friday, Saturday or Sunday nights at 11: Wouldn't that also be awkward?

If Samantha Bee gets a late-night show, when would it air?

Before Conan: Wouldn't that be awkward?

After Conan: Wouldn't that be awkward?

On Friday, Saturday or Sunday nights at 11: Wouldn't that also be awkward?

I'm guessing you have concerns about Sam Bee's slot since she'll be the only female late-night host, or someone likes to confirm their distaste of Sam's style of humor by using "awkward" in every possible spot on TBS. Smooth one...

TBS used to air a late night talk show after Conan: George Lopez. Actually, I believe he was originally on at 11 and was moved to midnight once Conan came along. Then his show was canceled and TBS is currently airing "Office" reruns at midnight, followed by a "Conan" re-airing at 12:30 AM. So Sam might go on at 12.