Type keyword(s) to search

One Day At A Time (1975) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On rewatch, Schneider is gross. He walks right into the girls' bedroom.

My thoughts.--As the series went on , the audience saw him as harmless and a father figure to the girls (even though, yeah, they had a real one).

But at the beginning, yikes. Ann moves in, the creepy super immediately starts to hit on her, and she basically says "Here's a key to my small apartment. Come in anytime and possibly see me or my teenage daughters in various stages of undress".

• Love 3

At some point in the show's run they update the living room set from that God awful 70s burnt orange nightmare but apparently they never touched the kitchen or bathroom.  And those two were seriously fug.   The kitchen was week old avocado green and the bathroom 50s flamingo pink.  

Harmless or not, Schneider annoyed the hell out of me always barging into their apartment....supposed the girls like walking around in their draws?

That's why I appreciated Sam (Mark's father and later Ann's hubby) so much, he shut that down as soon as he and Ann got together.

• Love 2

Reminder- after being hard to find for a long time, the show currently airs on AntennaTv, if you have access to that.

Thanks for posting this! I'm excited to discover I do have access to it.

Thanks for posting this! I'm excited to discover I do have access to it.

They're very near the end of the series right now. It all starts over again with the pilot on Monday.

• Love 1

I saw the Christmas episode where Ann, Julie & Barbara went to the cabin. Great dialogue. A great laugh out riot from the audience from Julie's line about sleeping with a man. The laughter from the audience went on for a long while. That's when the show show was still cooking. I miss the traditional 4 camera sitcom. I HATE the single camera no audience format. I think I need an audience to tell me it's funny. LOL!!!!! 

• Love 3
(edited)

POP TV  Sorry, I meant LOGO, recently started airing episodes.  This was one of my faves as a child and it's been great revisiting it.  Unlike so many others, I don't remember a ton of syndication so I don't remember many of the storylines.  

Edited by snarts
  • Love 2

I watched this as a young bride with my MIL, and it's one of my favorite 70's sitcoms.

So happy my hubby discovered it while he was channel surfing.  Thanks to LOGO, I can revisit it.  I don't think any seasons except the first have been available on DVD, and I'm really enjoying seeing Ann, Julie, Barbara, and the others again.

I was in my early teens when this show premiered and I remember it being one of my favorites.  Watching now, I don't understand why I ever liked it. Every damn episode was so angsty and "very special episode" that its disgusting. 

Every single character in just about every single episode does the dramatic turn away where they turn from the person they're speaking to and turn towards the camera. It looks so stupid when they do it so damn often. The Julie character was the worst at it. 

I also never realized way back when that none of them can act worth a shit. 

• Love 4

I like this show fine when they have Barbara stories and can tolerate Ann stories, but like many others, I can't stand Julie's shrill shrieking stories. I still can't watch the multiple-part episodes when Julie ran away, except I love the part when Ann says "Ok Julie." like she's giving in to the brat's demands but then "Don't come home." 

Audience applaud.

• Love 7
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:18 PM, Maharincess said:

I was in my early teens when this show premiered and I remember it being one of my favorites.  Watching now, I don't understand why I ever liked it. Every damn episode was so angsty and "very special episode" that its disgusting. 

Every single character in just about every single episode does the dramatic turn away where they turn from the person they're speaking to and turn towards the camera. It looks so stupid when they do it so damn often. The Julie character was the worst at it. 

I also never realized way back when that none of them can act worth a shit. 

I remember when it premiered and how I enjoyed it so much. Now? I can't help but snark in my mind as I watch the episodes. 

Something that happens so often is the way Ann walks over to Barb during some crisis, and then puts her hands on Barbara's head as she softly moves them down her hair. Annoys the fuck outta me. 

Another thing that all of three of the actresses did was the way they played with their lower jaw, moving it to one side right after one of them said something sarcastic or funny (supposedly). It was as if they all had the same non-acting teacher or they watched Bonnie Franklin too much and just copied what she did.

Bonnie was the worst with her facial expressions. She had that annoying habit of looking up to whoever she was talking or yelling at (she was usually shorter than the person she was talking to), her mouth open, tongue usually up or curling around in her mouth, and then she breathes out a sound mixed in with laughter. 

And, to this day, I am still annoyed at the episode where Barbara's musician boyfriend chooses Julie over her. I tell myself there is no way that guy, or any guy, who had Barbara as a girlfriend, would want Julie. If it was sex he wanted, granted I can see that, but the guy (Greg Evigan) seemed to really like Julie. 

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 3
On 4/7/2017 at 2:34 PM, xwordfanatik said:

I watched this as a young bride with my MIL, and it's one of my favorite 70's sitcoms.

So happy my hubby discovered it while he was channel surfing.  Thanks to LOGO, I can revisit it.  I don't think any seasons except the first have been available on DVD, and I'm really enjoying seeing Ann, Julie, Barbara, and the others again.

The complete series has been released as of December 2017! I ordered it !  I had been watching when it was on Antenna and LOGO, but it's nice being able to watch anytime I want and without the commercials! 

15 hours ago, Max fan said:

The complete series has been released as of December 2017! I ordered it !  I had been watching when it was on Antenna and LOGO, but it's nice being able to watch anytime I want and without the commercials! 

Thank you for letting me know!  It's just a great show that I enjoyed many years ago.  I'll be buying it, too.

On 6/4/2017 at 11:17 PM, GreatKazu said:

And, to this day, I am still annoyed at the episode where Barbara's musician boyfriend chooses Julie over her. I tell myself there is no way that guy, or any guy, who had Barbara as a girlfriend, would want Julie. If it was sex he wanted, granted I can see that, but the guy (Greg Evigan) seemed to really like Julie. 

Well Julie (and I should say MacKenzie) had that 70s heroin-chic look going for her, it’s the only explanation I can think of. 

This show wasn’t that fun to watch then but has aged terribly over time. Bonnie Franklin was pretty terrible in this.

I've been watching some of the episodes airing on "Family Entertainment TV" (which I discovered because it is also airing Maude and Barney Miller).  So I've come into it in the middle. Barbara and Mark have moved back in and Julie has moved in and then out again. I don't know where that is in the overall arc.

My question is this: Can anyone tell me the backstory on Alex? I get the impression Ann isn't his mother, but there doesn't seem to be a formal foster type arrangement, either.

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I've been watching some of the episodes airing on "Family Entertainment TV" (which I discovered because it is also airing Maude and Barney Miller).  So I've come into it in the middle. Barbara and Mark have moved back in and Julie has moved in and then out again. I don't know where that is in the overall arc.

My question is this: Can anyone tell me the backstory on Alex? I get the impression Ann isn't his mother, but there doesn't seem to be a formal foster type arrangement, either.

Don't know how much you want to avoid spoilers, but, well, spoiler warning...

At the beginning of season 6 Ann meets Nick, a divorced father whose son is Alex. Ann and Nick start working together and then begin dating. At the beginning of season 7 the show has Nick killed by a drunk driver. Afterwards, Alex had gone back to his mother in Chicago , but she had been recently remarried , and upset Alex runs away back to Indianapolis. His mom shows up and says she and her new husband will be moving around a lot, can Alex stay with Ann? (mom will pay room and board). Ann eventually says yes and Alex ends up staying for two seasons (you're right, no official arrangement).

In the season 9 opener we learn Alex has gone back to his mother, and then he's never mentioned again.

Edited by opus
  • Love 1

FETV just aired the episode where Alex runs away and starts living with Ann and Barbara. But they didn't air the episode where Nick gets killed. I never would have had any idea what was going on if not for this forum. I really hate when syndication skips over important episodes like that!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

FETV just aired the episode where Alex runs away and starts living with Ann and Barbara. But they didn't air the episode where Nick gets killed. I never would have had any idea what was going on if not for this forum. I really hate when syndication skips over important episodes like that!

I don't get FETV, but it sounds like nothing was skipped. The season 7 opener IS the episode Nick gets killed (he's alive in the season 6 finale, the one where David returns). Ann gets the phone call from Alex's mother , we quickly learn that Alex had moved back with mom and Nick had died, and we find Alex in the apartment. You know the rest of the ep...…..

Edited by opus
12 minutes ago, possibilities said:

They didn't have an episode where Nick dies? I found it really confusing. t seems like a really big thing to skip over!

Nope. When Ann and Barbara started talking about it there was when we the audience found out. It's a bit like when (spoilers, stop reading if you're following the series for the first time) in the season 9 opener, after all they had been through with Alex, we find out in one sentence that he went back to his mother, and then he's never mentioned again. Screw you, later seasons ODAAT writer's room.

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I'm just glad that not only did the show NOT pair Ann and Schneider romantically, they never even hinted that they would ever go there. Thank goodness. 

They couldn't do it early in the series for the same reason they had to quickly get rid of David. If the concept of your series is to be a "groundbreaking" show about a newly divorced woman, you can't immediately have her in another committed relationship.

Now later down the line, after the daughters were married off, it was possible, but then they bought in Sam, and that ended any chance of that.

5 minutes ago, opus said:
Edited by opus
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 5:18 PM, Maharincess said:

Back acting!

On 8/25/2019 at 10:18 PM, TheView said:

The show was created originally by the mother of Meredith Baxter 

And I believe she was an actress herself, playing the wife/mother in Hazel, I think. I believe her name was Whitney Blake.

• Love 2

Antenna TV replaced The Facts of Life with this a few weeks ago.  I knew a lot of it didn't hold up well, be yeesh there's really no one likeable in this.   Schnieder isn't endearing, he's a straight up creeper.   Ann's chauvinistic ex was no prize, but she's a shrew, it's no wonder shrieky Julia turned out the way she did growing up around those two.    David was kind of pathetic is how he chased Ann.   Not as pathetic as Barbara's friend Bob but still.  Barbara was ok (but I seem to remember she got a little annoying in later years).  Ginny was fun, but unfortunately she hated being on the show, hated Bonnie Franklin and Franklin saw her as a threat so of course she wasn't around long.  

Today was the season 4 premiere where Ed is broke and can't pay child support anymore.   Lots of shrieking and door slamming, as you can imagine.  But...why was this an issue?  Both girls should have been 18 by that point.  Julia, definitely and Barbara close if not already.   Ed wasn't even paying voluntarily as Ann said she'd sue him and win.  I don't see how.

Edited by Maverick
  • Love 2

One thing I don't understand is why all the men were so hot for Ann. It can't be her personality. She's constantly battling everyone trying to prove her independence. She's fine looking but they act like she's this raving beauty that no man can resist. 

The teenage Julie dating the 40 year old man was such a weird storyline. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Maverick said:

But...why was this an issue?  Both girls should have been 18 by that point.  Julia, definitely and Barbara close if not already.   Ed wasn't even paying voluntarily as Ann said she'd sue him and win.  I don't see how.

I don't remember if this would have applied to Julie or Barbara  but child support doesn't always automatically stop at 18 - depending where you live of course.  In many jurisdictions if the child is enrolled in higher education there would still be the expectation that the other parent would continue to provide child support but not necessarily the same amount they were paying before.  Otherwise I'd put this down to the usual Hollywood writers have no real clue about how alimony and child support work when you aren't really rich syndrome.

Edited by WinnieWinkle

So the cast of awful people continues.  They're just finishing up the season where Max was introduced.  I remember kind of liking him but I must have beardmatized.  The way he purses Julie--up to and including her wedding--but the way he acts when he forced to live with Ann is just mind boggling.  He walks around the house half naked, hogs the bathroom, rearranges the kitchen, volunteers Ann to make, and on and on.   He is the most ungracious, disrespectful and ungrateful freeloading houseguest ever.  He improves a little after those initial episodes but overall he remians kind of a jerk and a little flaky.  

Definitely hasn’t aged well. My dad hated it during its original one (though I’ll give him credit for letting us watch it anyway). He did not like the premise where Ann got divorced because she was “bored” with her marriage and uprooted her children. He also couldn’t stand Bonnie Franklin.

Back when it reran in the 1980s, I could tolerate the first five seasons or so, but after Mackenzie Phillips left the show, the wheels fell off. Julie drove so much of the conflict on the show - between her conflicts with her mother and conflicts with her sister. Once she was gone, they really scrambled to find other characters to help center the show: Nick, Alex, Mark, Francine, Grandma, etc. And when Julie returned, it was in a reduced capacity, so it didn’t help that much.

Anyone remember the episode where Ann hit some milestone birthday and locked herself in her bedroom to deliver a monologue do the mirror? Really awful, from what I remember.

• Love 2

This will always be my favorite show!

I loved BF as Ann, she reminded me of my mom who was one of the original independent women....she single handedly raised the three of us in the tough Philadelphia projects, my mother will forever be my shero.  Anyway, Ann might not have been considered a raving beauty but IMO it was her belief in herself that was sexy.  I also loved her with Sam.

Julie - The blueprint for the selfish cow that became Becky Conner!  I hated how she spoke to her mother and hated that Ann put up with it....Ann does gets points for the memorable 'don't come back!' and slapping the shit out of her when she was going with the older man.

Schneider - Slightly grows on you though I hate him barging into the apartment...that's just creepy.

Didn't care for David, Ginny, the pathetic Bob and especially Alex.

Francine was alright but ABSOLUTELY HATED Katherine!  There was nothing funny about an intrusive control freak, I wish they hadn't made her a series regular.

Finally Barbara, who next to Ann was my favorite character.  Her niceness could be annoying af, especially when it came to handling Bob.  I liked her with Mark, he was man enough to call her on her crap.  It was also cool that she remained a virgin until they married.

We are about to meet Mark likely next week on Antenna-tv, can't wait!

• Love 1

Last week they introduced Nick and ugh, another smarmy asshole character.   Just like Max inappropriately cajoled, nagged and argued with Julie until she finally gave in to his "charms", Nick is a complete jerk to Ann, presumptively spends her money and puts them in business together and not only does she work with the due she starts dating.   As I recall, Mark is similarly pushy, overbearing and generally nasty to Barbara.  For a show ostensibly about strong, independent women they seem to be saying they really just waiting for the right man to come along and basically mentally beat them into submission.   Alex is an annoying, mouthy little jerk too.

Francine was basically a steaming pile of poo of a human being but I could deal with her because that's what her character was supposed to be.  The others the show is trying to sell as funny, interesting, desirable people and...no, just no.

I know the Ginny actress left because she hated Bonnie Franklin.   Is that why Ron Rifkin left too?  It was odd they killed him off screen between seasons but kept his annoying offspring around.