Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Hardhome

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

Arya makes progress in her training. Sansa confronts an old friend. Cersei struggles. Jon travels.

Reminder: There is open air book talk here. If you are just watching the TV show and you don't want to stumble into a potential spoiler you should leave now. Book Talk assumes you have read all the books to date. Any information from unpublished books, such as preview chapters should be in spoiler tags.

(edited)

I think that was the best action sequence this show has ever done. Amazing! And we finally have confirmation that Valryian steel is dragonsteel.

I am loving Tyrion and Dany, as I suspected I would. 

Edited by InsertWordHere
  • Love 21

Wow, Jon Snow and his story line has become absolutely riveting. I had chills at the end. That poor mother warrior and her fate. Damn.

Theon and Sansa and Tyrion's job interview with Dany were terrific too. 

Excellent episode.

• Love 8

I was surprised that the White Walker didn't seem at all concerned about being in a burning building. Aren't they supposed to be afraid of fire. 

I loved the moment when Jon finally notices the White Walkers looking down on the scene. 

I liked that female clan leader and wish that she'd made it.

Loved how surprised the White Walker looked when Jon's sword didn't shatter. 

• Love 11
(edited)

I have to say I am so enjoying not knowing what the hell is going to happen next.  What fun for a devoted reader!  By next season we will all be unsullied.

I was surprised that the White Walker didn't seem at all concerned about being in a burning building. Aren't they supposed to be afraid of fire.

I think fire is an effective weapon against the wights (the undead, unburied, ice zombies.)  The only thing we've seen that works against their evil overlords, the White Walkers, is dragon glass and, now, Valyrian Steel. 

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 14

Man, "For the Watch" is going to hurt so much now.

I think fire harms wights, not White Walkers. Dragonsteel and dragonglass are the only things we know of that can harm Walkers.

• Love 3

I thought the episode was painfully boring. I don't give a shit about the Night's Watch scenes or the White Walkers.

I watch this show for the awesome political drama and great complex characters like Tyrion, Jaime, Cersei and so on. Not stupid CGI zombie battles. Ugh.

• Love 3

FUCK YEAH!!!

Sorry but at most of this season just felt like build-up but that was Truly Awesome.  And as the Unsullied note what's happening beyond the Wall now makes everything in KL seem so....petty.  And pointless. 

For the record I think the Night King recognized Jon as AA.

In other matters Tyrion/Dany is everything I hoped for and more.  Of course they're stressing that Dany is 'the last Targaryen.'  Ahem.  Also talking about the Starks are all gone too.  Not.  Quite.

• Love 14
(edited)

If the show is going to do something different than the books, they should either have Brienne duel the Hound, have Sansa find out that Bran and Rickon are alive, have Cersei slurp water off a dirty prison floor, reveal that Valyrian steel is effective against Others, or have the Others raise up a ton of zombies.

Approved.

Edit: or have a conversation between Dany and Tyrion.

Edited by Consternation
  • Love 19

I was more scared that poor Edd was going to be a goner when the roof started shaking.

Best episode of the season, and not just because of the CGI overload. Good work with the Tyrion/Dany/Jorah scenes and the Arya scenes. And Cersei taking stick to the point where she's licking the floor. Goodness.

Even Ramsey Bolton planning some covert mission to sabotage Stannis made things interesting on that front.

Sansa... with renewed hope? Oh boy.

I want a Valyrian steel sword, by the way.

• Love 6

Excellent episode.  GOT really delivered with this one and showing what happened onscreen with Hardhome was the correct decision.

Amazing, impressive action sequences, like the Walking Dead on an even larger scale.  And they got a Giant into the act too (The fuck you looking at?)!  Jon killing the Wildling with his sword was awesome.  Although he's protected by plot armor, the most exciting bit was Jon, Tormund, Edd and the Giant running for the lives to the boat.  That ending with the dead rising...wow.

I wish the female Wildling had lived.  I really liked her.

The rest of the episode was great too.  Tyrion and Dany were riveting together.  PD was dominating their scenes but EC ended strongly with the wheel line.  Jorah selling himself back into slavery is depressing but Classic Book Jorah dumb.  Alfie Allen was fantastic tonight and his scene with Sophie Turner was also riveting.  I think Sam has given Ollie the idea to turn on Jon...uh oh.

Ser Kevan is back as Hand of the King. 

• Love 8

Seriously one of the best GoT episodes ever. I was on the couch screaming at the t.v.

I liked Dany better with Tyrion, she'll hopefully listen to him. Poor Jorah is back being a scaly Maximus, guess Greyworm, Daario, and suitor were off at a bachelor party.

Arya got the cockles storyline. Hooray!

Sansa got some truth out of Theon, surprisingly. Can I hope that Ramsey meets Mel and makes a tasty snack.

And finally, Hardhome!!! That's how you do a story. Was hoping the Thenns would have gone first. Was the Giant named WunWun? Really? The hell?

I knew female free leader was toast when she put her kids and old people on the boat. And when she didn't want to fight the children, I was yelling at her. (Then teared up).

So, does Valaryian steel have the same properties as dragonglass? If so, then why didn't Longclaw shatter other walkers??

• Love 5
(edited)

Loved it! The last 60 seconds were excruciating, in a good way.

Winnief: For the record I think the Night King recognized Jon as AA.

Sorry, what's AA?

Edited by matilda76

Holy crap!  I was sitting there with my unsullied viewing partner going "this isn't in the books" "this isn't in the books either" and "oh seven hells that is definitely NOT in the books!"  I am so loving it!

I did a little happy dance that Sansa now knows that Rickon and Bran are alive.  I don't know what she can do with that knowledge, but damn it, I am so very happy she has it.

Loved, loved, loved Dany and Tyrion.  My word having him in her presence for five minutes shows how badly she has needed someone like him all along.  I also love that he says he trusts his brother Jamie.  And the preview

of the Dornish prince asking Jamie for his loyalty. I think my speculation of Dorne trying to crown Marcella queen with Jamie's backing is looking good!

!

Oh and what more can be said about the end battle but holy crap, wow!

• Love 4

I'm still gobsmacked. This was by FAR the best episode of the season.

I am so impressed on ALL accounts. I almost forgot about Tyrion and Dany's chat. And Cat of the Canals! (Kind of.) And Sansa finding out about Bran and Rickon. And Cersei licking the floor. Literally.

And I agree that the Night King recognized Jon for AA. Chilling. Amazing. Chilling.

• Love 9

So, does Valaryian steel have the same properties as dragonglass? If so, then why didn't Longclaw shatter other walkers??

I think Valerian steel cuts wights, shatters White Walkers.  John only fought one White Walker.

• Love 2

During the long stare-off between the White Walker and Jon, I halfway expected the White Walker to say, "You know nothing, Jon Snow." But I think it was implied when he raised all the fallen warriors as wights. That was White Walker sign language for "You know nothing, Jon Snow."

Too bad the awesome woman warrior died. I liked her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 22

The dead things don't go near the water apparently. 

Does the Night's King know that Jon is the AAR/PWWP? I was half expecting him to smile at Jon.

Cersei drank water off of a filthy floor. I wonder if they're putting Margaery and Loras through the same thing?

I think Frankengregor will be finished and complete by episode 10. 

Tommen is such a little weakling. He's sitting in his room crying while his mom and wife rot in jail? He could at least visit them. 

• Love 2

The dead things don't go near the water apparently.

I distinctly recall a raven arriving from the ships in the books with the message "Dead things in the water."  Worst.  Raven-Message.  Ever.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

That was fucking B A N A N A S !

Holy shit! Even before hard home scenes DH and I were saying this was an awesome ep...Tyrion and Dany! Cersei suffering! Bran and Rickon alive! That battle was so epic! Damn!

Also, I was trying to see if Jon would get burned by fire or be able to walk through it, etc...didn't see anything to note. But otherwise, holy shit!

Edited by Paws
  • Love 2

And the preview

of the Dornish prince asking Jamie for his loyalty. I think my speculation of Dorne trying to crown Marcella queen with Jamie's backing is looking good!

!

I think that was a misdirect and it's the Fire and Blood speech to the Sand Snakes, not Jaime.

If Doran tries to ally with a fucking Lannister that would bother me.

• Love 2

Loved it! The last 60 seconds were excruciating, in a good way.

Winnief: For the record I think the Night King recognized Jon as AA.

Sorry, what's AA?

Never mind! Looked at the Wiki. Durn acronyms.

(edited)

It wouldn't bother me, but only if it's the Queen making plot with his son as her king. Since they have dropped the Aegon story - I think that is a reasonable substitute. And it would provide us a damn good reason for sending Jamie to Dorne instead of the Riverlands.  I want that choice to have a big payoff and I believe this would be it. 

I think that was a misdirect and it's the Fire and Blood speech to the Sand Snakes, not Jaime.

If Doran tries to ally with a fucking Lannister that would bother me.

Edited by nksarmi
  • Love 2

That was such a good episode!  Loved Dany and Tyrion, and the ending was awesome!  That Knights King sure was interested in John... wonder why? 

I forgot about giants!  He was so cool, taking out all those walkers!!

Poor Jorah.... 

• Love 2

Seriously one of the best GoT episodes ever. I was on the couch screaming at the t.v.

There were definitely a few times that I yelled out at the screen like when Jon dropped Longclaw and when the wildling woman was staring at the wight kids. I'm just like lady they're done just kill them or run but don't stand there staring in a situation like this!

It was hard to have to hear Tyrion tell Dany that Jorah can't be at her side. He's right but it was still hard to hear. 

• Love 3

For the record I think the Night King recognized Jon as AA.

I don't know what AA stands for (guessing it's not Alcoholics Anonymous) but the Night King did seem to recognize him and the guy who resurrected the dead seemed to acknowledge him as a formidable opponent. Like two princes staring at each other.

• Love 3

The Wildlings should have set the wall and everything else they could on fire. Though the White Walkers seem immune. Was that the Night King?

This will probably be the most popular of opinions but I am growing tired of Peter Dinklage's affectations as Tyrion. If he is going back to full fancy voice Tyrion in his Daenerys scenes it will just make me grumpier with her. And, to me, Daenerys has done nothing for the non-Unsullied slaves other than nominally freeing them. She doesn't know how to build new institutions nor does she seem to care to. She is as much of a champion of the people as Olenna Tyrell and she has not exactly brought stability to Mereen by crushing its wheel.

• Love 6

I'll be honest, I found the beginning a little slow. Even Tyrion's and Dany's scene felt a little dry-doesn't help that Emilia is a bit wooden, imo. But the Jon Snow/Wilding scenes happened and something epic was born..

Since Lady Wilding didn't live, Wun  Wun the Giant is one of my new MVP.

The Night's King had the most awesome mic dropping moment I have ever seen. He was totally showing off to Jon Snow and company in it was glorious. If the show continues to make the White Walkers so badass I will begin to root for them to win before too long.

• Love 7

I don't know what AA stands for (guessing it's not Alcoholics Anonymous) but the Night King did seem to recognize him and the guy who resurrected the dead seemed to acknowledge him as a formidable opponent. Like two princes staring at each other.

Azor Ahai.  The Prince That Was Promised.  Basically a warrior hero foretold in prophecy who would lead the battle in the Long Night.  Mel thinks its Stannis, but I think she got that wrong...

• Love 8
(edited)

It would be hilarious that if right after that dramatic display, the Night's King says "All right, folks, let's call it a season!  I'm tired and I don't feel like hauling my ass up to the Wall right now."

Edited by benteen
  • Love 6

One minor quibble...during that final battle, I kept thinking "If only Tywin were here to see this."  Might have given the old bastard something to think about. 

And Jon's point that Westeros needs to be united to have any chance against the White Walkers is completely correct...but sadly it don't look like the Seven Kingdoms are gonna be united anytime soon.  God what a clusterfuck.

• Love 8
(edited)

One minor quibble...during that final battle, I kept thinking "If only Tywin were here to see this."  Might have given the old bastard something to think about. 

And Jon's point that Westeros needs to be united to have any chance against the White Walkers is completely correct...but sadly it don't look like the Seven Kingdoms are gonna be united anytime soon.  God what a clusterfuck.

You said it.  After what happened at Hardhome, the Night's Watch mutineers are going to look even dumber for what they did.

I wish Littlefinger could have scene the White Walkers too.  Although in the book, I would just be satisfied with him seeing Lady Stoneheart and pissing his pants in fear.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 7

Hardhome was one of the most amazing things I've seen on TV or film...totally riveting. Loved the build-up with the hostile arrival, the meeting of the elders, and that terrific wilding woman leader. Then what looked like an ice storm, and the charge of the wights. When they closed the gates, the silence of those left behind was chilling. I was worried for Torment, Jon and especially Edd. Agree with the posters above, the Walker King recognized Jon...he was fixated on him.

Everything else...terrific as well. Sansa knows her brothers are alive...she is working Theon/Reek. Danny and Tyrion...worth waiting for, and even Varys may reappear.

Am I crazy but I even felt sorry for Cersei...that Septa reminded me of the nuns of my school days.

Everyone involved...set designers, director, actors, writers, deserves praise...great work.

• Love 6

Wow...that was just fanfriggintastic.  I can't wait to watch that again!  Really, one of their best episodes.  

Poor Jorah, now that he's got the grayscale and Dany isn't going to take him back he's got nothing to lose.  I guess he figures better off sacrificing himself in the pits.  Dany's story is still boring me though, even with her getting guidance from Tyrion.  Suppose we'll just have to see how the last two episodes go along with her storyline.   

Oh I think Jon Snow knows something now...he needs a lot more dragonglass...if he ever gets to the other side of the wall again.

Other than the White Walker carnage I really enjoyed Cersei lapping up her water from the floor.  

Azor Ahai.  The Prince That Was Promised.  Basically a warrior hero foretold in prophecy who would lead the battle in the Long Night.  Mel thinks its Stannis, but I think she got that wrong...

Hopefully it's all a bunch of bullshit.  Death to prophecy as a plot device in fantasy novels!

• Love 4