Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Hot Mitzvah

(edited)

I think I like what the writers are doing here as the first season is about to end.

I believe Charles was fibbing to Liza (because fibbing is the show's golden thread, of course) when he told her the author didnt want to work with her. He was smiling. I think he's about to surprise Liza with a promotion. On that note....

...I think Charles first consulted Liza's boss, Diana, as a courtesy and in keeping with office protocol, and that's why new applicants have arrived for interviews. (BTW, the Harvard grad interviewee looked 40, not 20-something, imo.) Diana, to her credit, looked like the cat that swallowed the canary, imo. I think she's pleased for Liza.

And, best of all! (to me), Josh is going to lick his wounds, feel betrayed, duped and furious...BUT, he will reunite with Liza. I think it's going to happen.

If they get a new season, we'll have Liza in a new job, with Josh as her bf, and with Charles also pursuing her because he's falling in love. Liza will keep up The Lie to everyone else, but people from her past will turn up making her subterfuge harder and harder to maintain.

There was one scene tonight when Sutton actually looked younger! The lighting did it.

Love this show. :)

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 4

Am I the only person who doesn't really care if Liza gets back with Josh? I still can't see what they have in common as the majority of the scenes they've had together are either of them drinking or in bed together. If she had told him the truth midway, I'm sure he'd have gotten over it after 3-4 episodes. After last week's episode, there was no way I'd have taken a shower much less a bubble bath in that apartment. The scene of the roommate walking in on them was hilarious.

• Love 4

I COMPLETELY hate the fact that I like the idea of Liza and Charles, because as far as I am concerned, Diana has bagsies. (Girl Code.) Anyway, i definitely much prefer Single, Business Liza, but I think that is just me. But, damn, girl couldn't even break it to him gently. Maybe it was the Molly.

Patiently waiting for Kelsey and Thad to break up. This is a relationship riddled with bad karma. It's just going to end in a trainwreck. Lauren, though. Lesbian? Loving that angle, tbh. I definitely thought that Lauren would be my least favourite character when the show started, but I love her! She's amazing. 

I'm excited to see what the finale holds. Count me in with thinking that Josh and Liza will break up. But Liza will tell Kelsey. I don't think Diana is going to fire her and that Charles (and Kelsey?) will find a new book doctor. In my mind, its a sad finale. 

• Love 2

I COMPLETELY hate the fact that I like the idea of Liza and Charles, because as far as I am concerned, Diana has bagsies. (Girl Code.)

Does bagsy apply to people? He's a man, not the last slice of gluten-free pizza. And I think Diana threw girl code (and common decency) out the window when she decided to publicly embarrass Kelsey and Liza instead of privately bringing the The Babushka to their attention.

• Love 1

Does bagsy apply to people? He's a man, not the last slice of gluten-free pizza. And I think Diana threw girl code (and common decency) out the window when she decided to publicly embarrass Kelsey and Liza instead of privately bringing the The Babushka to their attention.

Bagsy does apply to people. I know it sounds outdated and possessive, but yes. I understand your points and they are completely valid. (Trust me, if someone did the same thing to me, i'd be doing everything in my power to take her down.)  But Diana does have a crush on Charles, and that, for me is not easily ignored. Think about how awful she'll become to Liza if they actually start dating.

I do think they got a second season renewal actually. I read the book that the show was inspired by and personally, I prefer the show. I won't spoil much but book version none of the characters really moved me, nor did I care what happened to them. I wonder if they will ever bring Liza's daughter into the fray? Now that Josh knows, I wonder how he will take it. 

Sutton said during a Twitter Q&A that Katie will come in to play soon!

• Love 2

I had to laugh at Liza when she came in to Charles' office thinking that she had absolutely nailed the meeting with the woman writer.  "She hated you."  The change of expression on her face was a good bit of acting by Sutton Foster.  It never occurred to me that maybe Charles was lying and Liza's actually going to be promoted because he seems pretty straight forward.  I figured that the writer really did hate her, and Diana was interviewing a new applicant to show Liza that she shouldn't step out of line (by trying to do anything other than be Diana's assistant) because she's easily replaceable.

The tub scene was probably supposed to be sexy, but the entire time I was wondering, Whose bathroom is this??  Yuck, no way I would be taking a bath in Josh's bathroom.  You know that nobody has ever bothered to clean in there.  Gross!

And yes, you all are correct.  Younger was renewed for a second season.

• Love 1
the Harvard grad interviewee looked 40, not 20-something, imo.

When I saw her from behind, I thought she was someone's mom because of her helmet hair and her unflattering outfit. I actually had to rewind after Diana said she was a friend's daughter and a recent college graduate to look at her face.

• Love 1

So now Liza is too old to understand what Korean food is.  Give me a break.

I used to think Peter Hermann was handsome, but not anymore.  Maybe Mariska introduced him to Botox, I'm sorry if that's mean.

Kelsey deals with the aftermath [of her affair]

Yeah, not really. Her boyfriend is such a douche I don't care about his feelings, and no one in the office besides Liza seems to know. So that plot went nowhere.

I was grossed out that Liza and Josh were in his bathtub, too. I hope he cleaned it first, but still. His entire apartment is such a post-collegiate dump.

I figured that the writer really did hate her, and Diana was interviewing a new applicant to show Liza that she shouldn't step out of line (by trying to do anything other than be Diana's assistant) because she's easily replaceable.

Same here. I thought the writer (Nina Katz!) hated Liza because she was too good and felt threatened. Diana interviewing applicants seem to be in line with her now being an out-and-out terror of a boss, though who knows what the deal with her is?

• Love 1

Ok, she lied to personnel about her age. She may have broken a law there; certainly it's grounds for dismissal.  But then he was able to see her personnel file, which includes protected information, right? Are supervisors allowed to even see that information? I know, it's just a show; but I'm curious about it.

• Love 2

Any person who drugs someone without their knowledge or permission is not a friend! I cannot believe Lauren was given a free pass on that! She barely knows the guys or Liza 's roommate , that is presumptuous to the nth degree!!! What if Liza or Kelsey were secretly pregnant ? ( of course with the amount of drinking they are doing I suppose that wasn't a possibility). And anyone could have had a bad reaction. I just thought that was way over the top and irresponsible and I would have been a heck of a lot madder than anyone was!

• Love 13

I had to laugh at Liza when she came in to Charles' office thinking that she had absolutely nailed the meeting with the woman writer.  "She hated you."

I know they were going for the big joke there, but I really didn't think that Charles was the type of person to say it so bluntly. Diana totally would, but Charles would have sugarcoated the wording a bit to soften the blow.

So now Liza is too old to understand what Korean food is.  Give me a break.

Seriously. They're taking it too far. Apparently only hip, young people like Korean food. *eyeroll*

(That's ridiculous. I'm 42 and I LOVE bibimbap. SO yummy. In fact, I've been trying to find the definitive recipe for it online so I can try making it at home.)

• Love 2

I loved that she finally told Josh the truth. And I loved that it came from Liza, and that he didn't find out through other means.

So now Liza is too old to understand what Korean food is.  Give me a break.

I thought she just didn't know Bibimpap, which could be understandable. I'm 30 years old and I've gone to TONS of Korean BBQ with friends, but it took me awhile to know what Bibimpap is. 

(Nina Katz!)

Ha, thank you! I've been racking my brain trying to remember where I've seen her from.

It looks like it will all unravel next episode. Whatever happens, I hope her friendship with Kelsey remains intact. Even with some misguided judgement here and there, Kelsey has shown herself to be a good friend to Liza.

Everywhere I've been employed I've had to pony up a drivers license as part of the new hire process. A publishing house would surely have insurance benefits, etc., where you have to give your age.

• Love 4

I believe Charles was fibbing to Liza (because fibbing is the show's golden thread, of course) when he told her the author didnt want to work with her. He was smiling. I think he's about to surprise Liza with a promotion.

Interesting. I thought the writer didn't hate her but wanted to steal her ideas, so she said she hated her. Why is this awful writer even at this stage where there's a book cover and marketing plan, anyway? I missed why she was special enough to be allowed to suck.

there was no way I'd have taken a shower much less a bubble bath in that apartment.

No kidding. I knew they'd shown an establishing shot of Josh's apartment, but I figured it had to be Maggie's bathtub, because there's no way Josh's would be nice enough to soak in. Ew.

that plot went nowhere. [Kelsey and Swedish author]

I keep thinking they have to bring him back. He cut himself when he didn't get what he wanted. Yet I don't think Kelsey gave up on him. She would still believe in the book and want to succeed professionally, so she would try to continue to work with him, I think. Why are they ignoring this?

Everywhere I've been employed I've had to pony up a drivers license as part of the new hire process. A publishing house would surely have insurance benefits, etc., where you have to give your age.

Yes, but a few of us had assumed Liza was truthful with the HR department (despite seeing the fake ID in the pilot) because to do otherwise is incredibly stupid and a huge deal. I guess we know she lied to HR too now that Charles has seen her file and it says 26. (And I also wondered if he's allowed to look at her file.)

• Love 3

Interesting. I thought the writer didn't hate her but wanted to steal her ideas, so she said she hated her. Why is this awful writer even at this stage where there's a book cover and marketing plan, anyway? I missed why she was special enough to be allowed to suck.

Yeah, I don't understand the concept of "book doctors". I understand ghost writers, and it sounds like they have the same job, no? If book doctors don't get any kind of byline or known credit on the book at all, why would the author feel threatened by Liza's good ideas? She can steal them away without any shot on her credibility.

And yes, I also don't get why they went on to publish this awful writer (just from Kelsey's reaction), unless she had good books before and they have a multiple-book deal with her. 

• Love 2
(edited)

The only way I can see a book doctor being used is if the book had to be published by a certain time and the editor was too busy to work on it. 

It seems like Nina Katz has written before, though, so I don't quite get why a book doctor is needed. If her previous books were that bad, give her a co-author/ghostwriter to get it right from the beginning. It shouldn't be a surprise that this book is a mess.

Edited by dubbel zout
(edited)

At least Kelsey's boyfriend didn't have a double standard. I expected him to get angry with her.

ETA: Though he still has the wandering eye.

Edited by dcalley

So now Liza is too old to understand what Korean food is. Give me a break.

I thought that was supposed to be more of a "Liza is a bland suburban housewife" thing than an age thing. Of course, you can buy bibimbap at Trader Joe's and Cost Co so even old people over the age of 40 who live in the suburbs must know what it is.

• Love 3

I thought that was supposed to be more of a "Liza is a bland suburban housewife" thing than an age thing. Of course, you can buy bibimbap at Trader Joe's and Cost Co so even old people over the age of 40 who live in the suburbs must know what it is.

I don't know squat about Korean food but then, I'm not that adventurous with my palate.

• Love 2
(edited)
I thought she just didn't know Bibimpap, which could be understandable. I'm 30 years old and I've gone to TONS of Korean BBQ with friends, but it took me awhile to know what Bibimpap is.

Sure, but a lack of knowledge about Korean food has nothing to do with age.  In my opinion.

I thought that was supposed to be more of a "Liza is a bland suburban housewife" thing than an age thing.

I guess..... where is she from, Jersey?  I admit I don't know anything about what kind of food is there.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I know nothing about Korean food. No clue what bibimpap is (had to look at how you all spelled that because I still don't know what it is). I didn't realize such a thing was meant to be so mainstream that everyone knows what it is. And I'm pretty saavy about things, have worked in NYC, lived in SF, so it's not like I lived under a rock. I don't think we are supposed to assume that every time Liza doesn't know something it is the show making some great statement about 40 somethings.

I love the idea that Charles was lying to her, but I do think that Nina Katz (no idea what her name was on the show and doubt she'll be back so I don't care) said she hated her because one thing I do think the show is pushing, and pushing hard is that 40 something women hate 26 year old women. I'm 43. My two besties at work are like 25 and 26 or 26 and 27 not really sure. Once in a while they reference something I don't get, they're obsessed with apps and being on their phones, but I certainly don't hate or resent them. So that part of the show annoys the crap out of me, but I find Sutton so impossibly charming, and the show has such a solid cast that I try to overlook that stuff and just enjoy the ride.

I am glad that once they said "I love you" that she felt she had to tell him. She's been trying for a while but the thing about that kind of lie is, it's hard to untell it. It's a snowball that, once started, just grows and grows. The strange thing is, with Josh, I want him to take the time to adjust to it and then be okay with it and them to get back together, but I don't see them as endgame. So I basically just want them to have a nice fling. That's kind of a nice change from my usual obsessive OTP nature. lol

Kelsey, however, needs to get as far from that asshat as possible. He sucks. And I'm down with Lauren and Maggie. lol

• Love 6
I guess..... where is she from, Jersey?  I admit I don't know anything about what kind of food is there.

Jersey is very diverse. Upper middle class suburbs - where I'd guess her house was - should have Korean restaurants. That said, perhaps she never ventured to any of them. To someone's earlier point, though, it's not an age thing.

The shots with Molly bothered me - especially because Lauren didn't tell any of them. I get that it was a vehicle for them to all act out of character, but it just seems to encourage what could be very dangerous behavior. They could have easily been drunk and done the same things.

OK, I'll go tell someone to get off my lawn now.

• Love 5
(edited)

I thought the writer (Nina Katz!) hated Liza because she was too good and felt threatened.

I remembered "Nina Katz" from SATC as "the fucking face girl" (adjective not verb) and Charlotte saying maybe she had Bell's Palsy! Hilarious! Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 1

Shallowly, I hated Lauren's dress at her party. (I refuse to call the party what the show did, because it's stupid.) The dress looked cheap and tacky, just like something a 13-year-old girl would wear to a dance.

• Love 2
(edited)

This. I think a lot of the "oh, how adorable, despite having a daughter in high school, cable and working internet access, Liza is pathetically ignorant of anything that's happened in the last twenty five years" is more about Liza having given up her Manhattan career girl job to be tunnel traffic.

Edited by Julia

Yeah I hate the way they make everything about age, like the bibimbap.  I'm 56 and I have known what it is for over 2 decades now.  OK, I'm from NY originally but we have it here in the suburbs too.

I wonder if Josh is not going to feel comfortable keeping her secret and that will be what makes him think twice about getting back with her.  Plus, there's the lying.

I don't like the way Diana is being portrayed like a Cruella DeVil caricature.  She's not believable anymore, IMO.  Not that other things about this show are believable either, but they're at least more believable than she is!

As soon as Lauren called Maggie an "OWL" and told Liza to bring her I knew what was coming!

Didn't love the Molly scene.  Having had pot-laced brownies once at a dorm party at college without knowing it, and having had a drink beforehand, I passed out and when I woke up I was hearing things and my head was spinning.  This was like 37 years ago.  No one cared, not even the RA or the freaking PRIEST who lived in the dorm!  I could have freaking DIED - My girlfriend didn't wake up for 12 hours after this!  We almost had her door broken into because she was so passed out she wouldn't answer us.  Wow have times changed - Which is why this scene didn't seem believable.  I think most people would know better than to slip people a drug without their knowledge these days.  BIG trouble.

• Love 2

Lauren's creepy dad didn't do anything creepy at the party (yet). Will that come up again, I wonder? Let's hope he's not into drugging people like his daughter is.

• Love 1

The bibimbap thing struck me as very realistic.  I know what it is (and love it), but when I go for Korean BBQ with my mom and sister I'm the one who orders everything, and back when there was a Korean restaurant near work and I'd go with my coworkers for lunch, again I ordered everyone's bibimbap for them.  They've all told me that they can't go to these places without me because they'd have no idea what to order.  It's not just age, but age is part of it -- she probably cooked much of the time when she was married, and when they went out for dinner, Korean may not have been what they chose.  It's largely a lifestyle thing more than location. I'm in L.A. and not all that far from Koreatown, but for one thing, there isn't much Korean outside of Koreatown and people here often don't venture outside of their general area for dinner, and while going out for dinner and trying new/different restaurants is something I do on a regular basis and that's how I'm quite familiar with Korean food, that's a lot easier to do when you're single.

• Love 1

Now that bibimbap can be found in many suburban strip malls and even in Trader Joe's frozen section, it has become a little bit mainstream America.  Although I do know people of all ages that are not adventurous with food and would not know what it is.  Although I don't think the point they're trying to make about Liza is that she's not adventurous with food.  OK if she was home raising kids she might not know about it, but still.  At some point the kids teach the parents about these things, too.  And where she probably was supposed to live in Jersey is not exactly going to be a cultural vacuum either.  Certainly she had enough female friends who might have mentioned it.  She's supposed to have a certain level of cultural awareness and I don't think it's realistic to make her look in the dark about it.

I love the idea that Charles was lying to her, but I do think that Nina Katz (no idea what her name was on the show and doubt she'll be back so I don't care) said she hated her because one thing I do think the show is pushing, and pushing hard is that 40 something women hate 26 year old women. I'm 43. My two besties at work are like 25 and 26 or 26 and 27 not really sure. Once in a while they reference something I don't get, they're obsessed with apps and being on their phones, but I certainly don't hate or resent them. So that part of the show annoys the crap out of me, but I find Sutton so impossibly charming, and the show has such a solid cast that I try to overlook that stuff and just enjoy the ride.

I really could love this show if it wasn't so darn nasty to women over the age of 30!  Seriously,  I work with women of all ages, and I'm right in the middle.  The 25 year olds are very good friends with some of the 40 year olds, and 60 year olds for that matter!  

I can tell a man who doesn't like older women must be writing this show, on the one hand, the setting is fun, just like SATC,  and the acting is good, but the constant portrayal of women over 40 as frumpy, and having outdated hair and clothing, along with being totally threatened by the young women is so insulting and makes me want to turn it off.

Also, every 20 something year old is basically like a Disney like princess, being plotted against and hated for no reason, except for the fact that the old 40 something year old women are jealous of them!

I hate to break it to these writers, but my boss is in her 40's and she looks very fashionable.  In fact, my co-workers in their 50's look better than Diana, and we don't live in Manhattan with the fashion and hair stylists that are in the city.  

Also, believe it or not ,but sometimes my 27 year old co-worker is a jerk, and is mean and jealous of the older women in the office!   In fact, she is the nasty one of the office and is jealous of what the 40 something year old!

yeah I hate the way they make everything about age, like the bibimbap.  I'm 56 and I have known what it is for over 2 decades now.  OK, I'm from NY originally but we have it here in the suburbs too.

I wonder if Josh is not going to feel comfortable keeping her secret and that will be what makes him think twice about getting back with her.  Plus, there's the lying.

I don't like the way Diana is being portrayed like a Cruella DeVil caricature.  She's not believable anymore, IMO.  Not that other things about this show are believable either, but they're at least more believable than she is!

The two things that are most unbelievable are Diana, and the fact that everyone looks at Liza's face, and thinks that it looks 26!  She looks like the embarrassing mom who dresses like her daughter, and tries to be young!  

• Love 2
I hate to break it to these writers, but my boss is in her 40's and she looks very fashionable.  In fact, my co-workers in their 50's look better than Diana, and we don't live in Manhattan with the fashion and hair stylists that are in the city. 

I don't know why they all love Patty Field.  She didn't dress the women on "Sex and the City" in anything remotely close to what women in NYC wear.   She's dressing Diana much older than she is and Liza like she's in high school or something.   Do they really need to be so heavy handed with the age stuff?  A lot of it is insulting to women in any age bracket.  BTW, I am 56 and I wear my hair past my shoulders.  In fact I don't know too many women over 40 who have extremely short hair like that.  it's not the dominant trend right now.

Diana's hair isn't short, is it? For some reason I'm picturing that her hair is always pulled up like in a twist or something.

But I get what you're saying. I'm 42 and my hair is really long. I want to get it cut but I don't want to go higher than shoulder length. I like having long hair, especially because when I was a kid my mom always cut my hair in shorter styles. I think I'm rebelling against any silly fashion rules that say once you hit 40 you should keep your hair shorter. I think that's stupid. I mean, says who? *GRIN*

• Love 1
I think most people would know better than to slip people a drug without their knowledge these days.  BIG trouble.

IKR, hasn't everyone seen The Hangover?

But I get what you're saying. I'm 42 and my hair is really long. I want to get it cut but I don't want to go higher than shoulder length. I like having long hair, especially because when I was a kid my mom always cut my hair in shorter styles. I think I'm rebelling against any silly fashion rules that say once you hit 40 you should keep your hair shorter. I think that's stupid. I mean, says who? *GRIN*

You are not the only over 40 year old with long hair.  I know quite a few actually, including myself, hold-outs from our 'long-hair' head-banging days. :)

Now some do cut their hair as they get older, I presume, because its easier/cheaper to color out/over the gray.  Fortunately, we haven't had that problem yet.

• Love 2

Diana's hair isn't short, is it? For some reason I'm picturing that her hair is always pulled up like in a twist or something.

Yeah, I just came back here to correct that.  Just saw an ad with her in it and realized it's always in a bun or something severe like that.  But still, who wears their hair like that anymore?  I can't think of anyone.

Now some do cut their hair as they get older, I presume, because its easier/cheaper to color out/over the gray.  Fortunately, we haven't had that problem yet.

I hope I never do.  I'm noticing that more women in their 50s now are keeping their hair long.  I'm going to keep mine as long as I can for as long as I can.  And no buns or twists for me.  I don't love my ears so I like to keep them covered.  My mother kept her hair long until she died.  Of course she did wear in up a lot but we're talking someone who was born in 1924.

Am I the only person who doesn't really care if Liza gets back with Josh? I still can't see what they have in common as the majority of the scenes they've had together are either of them drinking or in bed together. If she had told him the truth midway, I'm sure he'd have gotten over it after 3-4 episodes. After last week's episode, there was no way I'd have taken a shower much less a bubble bath in that apartment. The scene of the roommate walking in on them was hilarious.

I meant to reply to this earlier - I don't really care either.  I think the main attraction for her with Josh is that he is young and refreshing.  I'm sure she's going through a post-divorce breakout of her shell too.  If she got married young, this is like recapturing a part of her youth that she never got to live the first time.  Plus the lure of the younger man pulls strong once a woman hits 40, and the sex is AMAZING.  I went through something similar at her age myself.  I'm speaking from personal experience here!  I'm sure they're going to use her relationship with Josh as a threat to Charles and her getting together and perhaps involve more agonizing and lying on her part, which makes for good TV.  But in the end I see her with Charles.  At least I hope that's the way the show goes.

• Love 1

Plus the lure of the younger man pulls strong once a woman hits 40, and the sex is AMAZING.  I went through something similar at her age myself.  I'm speaking from personal experience here!

I have a friend who is currently dating someone younger - not as big an age gap as Liza/Josh but almost fresh out of college young and it makes her feel like a cougar but I have to laugh at your comment! If they're still together by then, maybe she'll appreciate it more in the long run ;)

Personally, I see the show leaving Liza and Josh's relationship on a cliffhanger in one of three scenarios:

1) He'll say he needs time and then they start Season 2 with him forgiving her finally and reuniting after a few episodes. Then Charles will start to show more of an interest in her, much to Diane's chagrin, and thus a possible love triangle will form.

2) They reunite in the finale and they'll start Season 2 together but the honeymoon phase starts to wear off and Liza begins to get bored when she sees Charles and her have more in common later on, or Josh won't be able to handle her "mom duties" once her daughter returns from India.

3) Josh forgives Liza and they start over but his trust issues with her will come to a head in early Season 2 where he has to break it off again (possibly because he'll learn about Charles), leaving room for Charles to make some leeway in their working relationship.

Either way, something must happen with Charles and Liza!

• Love 1

I'm having a hard time with this show. I feel like I'm watching purely for Sutton Foster. I can't stand Hilary a Duff and her character is annoying, shallow, and lacks integrity. She's sleeping with the married author to keep his business. And she's in a relationship. That's low and I'd have a hard time staying friends with someone like that. The whole "girl code" feels very junior high, and Josh is a joke. Ok, he's cute and sexy...does he even have any direction, ambition, or goals in life? He seems like an undisciplined frat boy. Liza's boss (Diana? See, I can barely get their names straight that's how little they mean to me so far) is a ridiculous caricature of a 40 year old woman. Clueless about pop culture, desperate for a man...egads. She alternates between good at her job and a complete futz at it.

And drugging everyone at the ridiculous Mitzvah thing? Wrong on so many levels, including legal ones. Whoever is writing this show is living in la la land. I did feel bad for Liza when her great find in the slush pile turned out to be plagiarized from an obscure out of print book.

And drugging everyone at the ridiculous Mitzvah thing? Wrong on so many levels, including legal ones. Whoever is writing this show is living in la la land.

That would be the nice man who made Sex in the City, so yeah.

I hate that the hair stylists seem to think that over 40 = hair in bun. When Liza returns to her "old" life (pun intended), they have her hair pulled back in a tight bun too. Like she wouldn't just have a messy bun or ponytail like every long haired woman of any age I've every met. The hell?

The Disney analogy is a good one - wicked jealous older woman constantly sabotages pretty young things out of envy. Ugh. I'm 50 and wouldn't want to be in my 20s again, ever. It was a good time, but I prefer the confidence and experience I have now.

• Love 1
(edited)

I hate that the hair stylists seem to think that over 40 = hair in bun. When Liza returns to her "old" life (pun intended), they have her hair pulled back in a tight bun too. Like she wouldn't just have a messy bun or ponytail like every long haired woman of any age I've every met. The hell?

The Disney analogy is a good one - wicked jealous older woman constantly sabotages pretty young things out of envy. Ugh. I'm 50 and wouldn't want to be in my 20s again, ever. It was a good time, but I prefer the confidence and experience I have now.

That is what I wasy trying to say in my post about the finale, but I didn't say it as well as you did! I don't live in a big city, and NO ONE who I meet in their 40's or 50's wears an old fashioned bun, and also the frumpy outfits that the 40 year olds wear. Also, I work with women in their 20's and no one dresses as stupidly as the Liza with her idiotic trendy outfits. If anything, it makes her look older because she looks silly wearing clothing that a high school kid would wear. Edited by snowydaze

Actually, I don't find Liza's clothes too weird. She wears boots and short dresses and jackets... Shrug.

I hate the whole "women over 40 pee when they laugh" and "if you've had a baby, you have stretch marks and a mushy ugly stomach". Not true for all women, and the peeing thing is annoying. Based on all the pad ads, you'd think no woman over 35 can hold her pee anymore.

• Love 1

Based on all the pad ads, you'd think no woman over 35 can hold her pee anymore.

LMAO (and look, no pee!) I know what you mean. Those adds are driving me insane. And the "models" are younger and younger. Like yikes, what is happening to the world. I'm 43 and haven't peed myself since I was in diapers thank you very much. I do think a lot of the ageism on the show is very heavy handed but I do like the show. I just think Sutton is utterly charming, Hillary Duff will always be Lizzie Maguire to me so this is like Lizzie Maguire goes to New York. Miriam Shur I've loved since Swingtown (highly underrated, watch it if you can). It's just really a great cast. I can't think of anyone on the show I don't like which is rare. I do wish they'd lighten up on the age stuff, but then, this is a broad comedy and is based on age so I figure we just have to suck it up. lol

It has not yet made me laugh so hard I needed my Tena's though.

• Love 1