Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Evil Spirits In Heavenly Places

Lyle reveals that the Verbis Diablo relics tell a very dark and disturbing story that affects Vanessa; Rusk interviews the survivor of the attack at the Mariner's Inn; Hecate tries to get closer to Ethan; Angelique and Dorian's romance grows. Back at Sir Malcolm's mansion, Vanessa, Ethan, Sir Malcolm, Sembene and Lyle carry on their evening as something evil lurks within, ready to strike.

I freakin loved tonight's episode! My favorite of the season so far. It was delightful and charming and gave all the characters a voice. Totally keeping this one on my DVR for a while. 

• Love 2

Sembene and Ethan are fast turning into my favorites. I love that they acknowledge that Vanessa can more than hold her own but they still want to stand by her side to fight.

I worry about Lyle and Malcolm. Madame Kali has a hold on both of them and both are in the house with the others.

• Love 1

The dress shop was the highlight of the episode for me. The way Vanessa said "decollatage". And then waved undergarments at Victor. Hilarious. I love how amused she was. It's a nice break from all the doom and gloom.

I guess Victor wouldn't know that Vanessa and Brona has met. Now he has invited Vanessa over to have tea with his "cousin". She's about to figure out his secret, perhaps?

Lavinia can sense changes in the molecules in the air? Upcoming plot twist: Lavinia is Daredevil.

• Love 2

I enjoyed that episode!  Vanessa smiled!  For multiple scenes! 

I know Frankenstein is mad creepy, but I have a soft spot for him (and Treadway is cute).  Loved his awkwardly asking for Vanessa’s help and their multiple scenes of 90s sitcom goodness in the dress shop.  The discussion with Brona/Lilly was nicely done.  I especially liked the discussion about the corset.  Frankenstein is so wrongly enamored with “Lily”; when shit does hit the fan, it is going to REALLY hit the fan.

I’m not sure how/if Dorian is connected to the main storyline.  Is he going to be part of it?  Either way, I am enjoying Angelique. 

Sembene and Ethan are becoming favs of mine.  I hope we get to explore their burgeoning relationship.  Also, Sembene can bring that lovely buttercream torte to my potlucks anytime.

The Nightcomers are interesting. Last season, I felt like the villain wasn’t particularly compelling or well fleshed out.  Madame Kali and her minions are proper villains.  I know it is going to get worse before it gets better, but I can’t wait to see Vanessa and crew take these chicks down hard.  A poster above mentioned that Vanessa is the real leader of the group, not Sir Malcolm.  I couldn't agree more.  This show has done a nice job turning the damsel in distress troupe on its head.

I enjoy Rory Kinear and think he is a fine actor, but I felt like his scene length was just right for the character.  He’s going to have a thing for the daughter, so that will complicate his thing with Brona/Lilly and Victor a bit.

• Love 1

Maybe Caliban will get with Lavinia, Victor with Lily, and Ethan with Vanessa, and it will be all no harm no foul. They can all have tea together!

Did the witches blending into the wallpaper remind anyone else of The Yellow Wallpaper?

• Love 3
(edited)

Daddy waxworks is going to start keeping freaks in the basement. Cali-Clare is really not going to like that. I love that Lavinia found a beautiful way of describing Cali-Clare 's eyes. Turmeric is a lovely shade of yellow.

i truly enjoyed this episode. The dress shop scene was sweet. And I think I might start shipping the friendship of Sembene and Ethan. Especially if there is going to be cake involved.

Edited by fuzzysneakers

I know Frankenstein is mad creepy, but I have a soft spot for him (and Treadway is cute).

He is, but I adore Mary Shelley's story, and I like the way they've weaved so many elements of her book, while still being their own thing (such as Livinia's blindness, making her more open to Caliban, even though in this version she knows his scars and seen him with her hands). I just think it's funny how often he gets sucked into the supernatural drama and scientifically wants to debunk their discussions, and then always has to remember he reanimates the dead. When he compared witches to faeries and sprites, I died.

I also think it's funny every time Ethan wants to unburden himself about his inner monster to Vanessa, and she always TRUMPS him with something worse. I'm sorry what were you saying before we were almost murdered by those witch brides of the devil? I see Malcolm is thinking the same thing as me, though I don't know that it is specifically and only about Vanessa, but all the fallen Angels.

This was a GREAT episode, even though Dorian Grey continues to be on his own show, I still LIKE his show. I'm worried about what the witches will do now that they have Vanessa's hair, but I liked that Lyle tried to warn Malcolm oof Mrs. Poole.

• Love 2

Does anyone know how the ratings are? I love this show and hope that Showtime is getting good ratings with it. I'd hate to see it go away.

Game of Thrones was my favorite show for four seasons, but last night, I found myself looking forward to our trepid Dreadfuls more so than Thrones.

• Love 2

I'm surprised that Ethan hasn't turned into a werewolf when in danger more than that one time. When the witch came out of the wallpaper and was choking him, Sembene saved him. I would think that the werewolf would have emerged to save himself. Also, I would have thought he would have come out when he and Vanessa were attacked in the carriage.

If the werewolf did emerge everyone would know his secret that he wants to hide, but it doesn't seem like it is something that he can control, just something that comes out as a defense. He told Vanessa that he blacks out and doesn't know exactly what happens except there is a lot of blood.

I'm surprised that Ethan hasn't turned into a werewolf when in danger more than that one time. When the witch came out of the wallpaper and was choking him, Sembene saved him. I would think that the werewolf would have emerged to save himself. Also, I would have thought he would have come out when he and Vanessa were attacked in the carriage.

If the werewolf did emerge everyone would know his secret that he wants to hide, but it doesn't seem like it is something that he can control, just something that comes out as a defense. He told Vanessa that he blacks out and doesn't know exactly what happens except there is a lot of blood.

I thought the crux of the episode would be Ethan Werewolf-ising, mauling the witches, and then ending with his allies in danger from him or amazed/horrified at the reveal.

Instead he was nearly strangled to death, saved by Sembene, and then they were all saved by Vanessa.  It nicely subverted the episodes setup.  Although eventually someone other than Vanessa will have to do *something* useful, because right now it seems like the rest of the cast is just putting Vanessa in danger.

(Except Ethan, who caused the Witches to pause because they seem to think he's dangerous and/or powerful.  Recent events seem to indicate that's not the case, or if it is it's not something he has control over).

I do wonder if the Nitecomers only left because they had what they wanted, and what the carnage would have been like if they kept fighting.

Vanessa being so smiley and happy at the dress shop was such a treat. She has so much doom and gloom in her life it's nice to see her happy and joking around by holding up undergarments to an uncomfortable Frankenstein. And Victor you might be okay to make a play for your cousin, since John Clare seems to be hitting it off with the blind girl, that can guess the color of his eyes. 

Does Ethan only turn on the full moon? Why didn't he wolf out when he was being chocked, you'd think the wolf would want to protect himself. 

Not really sure where Dorian's story is going but it seems like he's on his own separate show. I did like seeing all those ping pong tables and all the rich people playing it. 

What is the Devil's obsession with Vanessa? I'm surprised Madame Kali isn't jealous that the master wants her so badly. 

Not really sure where Dorian's story is going but it seems like he's on his own separate show. I did like seeing all those ping pong tables and all the rich people playing it.

It made me think of that ridiculous club in NYC that Susan Sarandon and her younger squeeze (post-Tim Robbins) started. It was (is? I don't know if it's still around) a ping-pong club, which sounds pretentious to me whether in Victorian London or NYC in the 2010s. A Project Runway episode had the contestants designing uniforms for the servers and ballboys and girls.
What is the Devil's obsession with Vanessa? I'm surprised Madame Kali isn't jealous that the master wants her so badly.

I've been surprised by that too. Even last season, I was surprised that Mina wasn't jealous that the devil wanted Vanessa as his bride, especially given what happened between Vanessa and Mina's fiancee. The storyline seems to be that he wants Vanessa because she is so powerful/gifted in magical ways, but I still don't quite get it.

I also don't quite understand why Vanessa hasn't turned to God more for protection. She has the crucifix in her room but that's about it. If I were her I'd be moving into a nunnery ASAP.

• Love 2
(edited)

I thought Ethan was the Wolfman, not a werewolf. The Wolfman has a pretty strict mythology of only turning during a full moon. Though that's probably when the witches are strongest too, so we may see a head-to-head battle. 

Ahh, so it was one of the bounty hunters who survived. Suuuuuuck. He was radiating vehemence, he is so going to track Ethan down by scent and murder anyone in the near vicinity. It would be kind of hilarious if he went after Hecate (while she was out kidnapping the next sacrificial infant) because she smelled like Ethan, and she had to put him down. They'd probably think he was sent on purpose.

I imagine if Vanessa had tried to move to a nunnery while still possessed, she would have just ended up killing everyone. She did quite a number the priest trying to exorcise her. If The Devil (not the pansy, wine swilling, debonair with a wink and lots of nonsensical limitations) tells you go retrieve someone, it probably overrides any jealousy you could probably feel. Old Testament angels were scary as hell, and Lucifer was one of the top angels yea?

Edited by rozen
  • Love 1

And after a nice Memorial Day weekend power watch...I've caught up.  This might well be the best episode the show has ever had (and I particularly like the Vanessa/Witches story) but on this episode in particular:

1.  While Ethan was right in sniffing out the attempt to infilatrate them he was right for the wrong reason (and Sir Malcolm appears to be being subtly brainwashed...which puts him one up on the lord in the cut-wife episode...who didn't even need that).  Also, did anyone else catch the context of the conversation between Ms. Poole & Hecate in that, while not a day at the beach, they had a counter for him?

2.  Moment of funny:  Ethan " Does she have dessert for breakfast?"  Sembene: "All the time"  *chuckle*

3.  I'm curious about the rules for the wolfman in the Pennydreadful Universe.  Why?  They apparently think they can handle Sembene, have somehow influence (particularly unconsciously) Sir Malcolm, and are blackmailing Mr. Lyle.  Why is Ethan above their other efforts?

4.  For anyone curious:  Regarding the "Satan/Lucifer did not fall alone" comment:  a brief search indicates that something like 69-100 angels fell with Lucifer in the rebellion with Heaven (interestingly, depending on what source you consult, Satan, Lucifer, and Belial, which are all indications of the same being in the Bible, could all be different creatures).  Which are which is a bit beyond me, but there are a *lot* of choices just based off demonology.  Not saying that Penny Dreadful is going with this interpretation (there has been an Egyptian influence in the past), but just a comment that the idea that Lucifer didn't fall alone is not original and is consistent with some beliefs.

If Vanessa is such a powerful white witch, why doesn't she ward/protect the house against the Nightcomers? Every time she goes to her room for the night, you know something is going to happen!

BTW, the wallpaper stuff was hilarious...

I love Victor, and it was so adorable watching him and Vanessa in the clothing store.  Of course Vanessa met Brona, but I think it's even more important that Brona met Victor.  She could remember who she is and realize the bizarre situation she's landed in at any time.  That, IMO is the much bigger threat.  Since Dorian slept with Ethan, Brona, and Vanessa, he is inevitably linked to whatever love triangle is being formed between them.  It occurs to me that Caliban could easily play the part of Sybil Vane's brother that stalks Dorian in the book, if he had motivation to.     

I guess the coven that Cutwife and Madam Kali were once a part of is long gone by now.  Kali treats the girls as her slaves and kills them if they don't carry out her orders successfully, which isn't really a coven.  It also makes it seem like there is an endless supply accolytes that she can enslave/brand, thus they are all replaceable, much like how the vampires last season treated their subordinates.

I guess the housemaid came in and mopped up Vanessa's blood scorpion off the floor, hence why it couldn't be used to expel any of the witches. 

The fact that Vanessa hasn't warded the house at this point is simple negligence. I wonder if the writers are avoiding it because it would give the game away on Ethan. If it blocks out all non humans, he won't be able to enter without an explanation.

I loved seeing Ethan and Vanessa talking in the background before you know what they're discussing. It suggested so much. Maybe they sit in the library in the evenings and share a drink. Maybe they go for evening walks together. I really like when they share scenes alone.

I wonder if Sir Malcolm will end up hunting Ethan I wolf form?

Dorian is a giant yawn.

Victor, my twee little man, you don't even know how big a hole you're standing in. My favorite part of that whole storyline is figuring out how it's all going to explode. It's going to be delicious.

• Love 2

The fact that Vanessa hasn't warded the house at this point is simple negligence.

Did we see her learn that from the Cut-Wife? Because my impression was that she was splitting before she'd learned all she needed to know, so she could go take care of Mina, which the Cut-Wife gave her shit about (a very Yoda-Skywalker moment). 

I thought Ethan was the Wolfman, not a werewolf. The Wolfman has a pretty strict mythology of only turning during a full moon.

Right, I never assumed he could turn at will, he's beholden to the moon, and while he knows he's some kind of monster he clearly doesn't know exactly what kind that form takes, or how it works. 

I'm not sure how much more obvious McCrory could make that Kali/Mrs. Poole is jealous of Vanessa, but she's hoping he only wants to *consume* her power rather than replace her as head devils concubine in charge.

I was kind of surprised too, that she was able to over power Ethan.  I think the werewolf legend is only during a full moon do they transform, but I don't think that can apply to Ethan, unless the Pinkerton guys just got very unlucky and came back during that three day period.   OTOH, so did Ethan kill the woman and little girl in the very first episode?  That wouldn't have been rage, what could they have done to him?  Hopefully when we get Ethan's back story episode all will be explained. 

I also liked Ethan being supportive of the Pinkerton's hiring women agents. Although if she was a Pinkerton wouldn't Ethan think she would know the American states better? 

I figured Ethan can only fully transform during the full moon, but if he could smell and sense something's off, I would think the wolf would not want to die and at least give him some extra strength or rage. 

• Love 2

I loved this episode! Loved loved loved it!

A big part of that love? Delighted, happy Vanessa and awkward, nervous Victor. Seriously, it was amazing to take a break from the Gothic horror and wander into a screwball comedy. It was hilarious, and just so great to see. Eva Green must have been so thrilled to actually get to smile and laugh. 

Speaking of, I loved all the scenes of the gang just hanging out. Ethan and Sembene talking was wonderful to watch, especially as Ethan tried make small talk with Sembene. Ethan really is just such a swell guy. Even when he`s talking with the woman who he thinks is a Pinkerton, he`s all politeness and charm. Plus, he supports women`s emancipation, and knows a good pair of sensible shoes. My kind of guy, furry problem or no. 

I totally thought of The Yellow Wallpaper story during the creepy witch attack. With the shows love of literature, I cant imagine its a coincidence. 

• Love 3
I guess Victor wouldn't know that Vanessa and Brona has met. Now he has invited Vanessa over to have tea with his "cousin". She's about to figure out his secret, perhaps?

I am anxiously awaiting these turn of events. I'm hoping that this also leads to more scenes with Vanessa and John Clare.

even though Dorian Grey continues to be on his own show, I still LIKE his show.

I do too! And I have faith in John Logan; I'll happily let him lead me down whatever narrative road he wants. But I do think that eventually Dorian will become linked to Victor and "Lily". I'm also hoping that eventually they'll come up with a reason for Dorian to sing, because I love Reeve Carney's voice and would love to hear it again.

The Nightcomers are interesting. Last season, I felt like the villain wasn’t particularly compelling or well fleshed out.  Madame Kali and her minions are proper villains.  I know it is going to get worse before it gets better, but I can’t wait to see Vanessa and crew take these chicks down hard.

Even though we're only 4 episodes into this season, I am so much more invested in seeing the villains get taken down than I was in seasson 1. I HATE Madame Kali and her creepy-ass dolls. I really need to see her suffer; and I hope we don't have to sacrifice any of our core monster-mash crew to have it happen. Or at least please don't hurt Sembene, Ethan or Vanessa show!

3.  I'm curious about the rules for the wolfman in the Pennydreadful Universe.  Why?  They apparently think they can handle Sembene, have somehow influence (particularly unconsciously) Sir Malcolm, and are blackmailing Mr. Lyle.  Why is Ethan above their other efforts?

The witches keep referring to him as something completely different though, which is Lupus Dei. According to Lyle- and I could be wrong here- when he was with Ethan in the Museum Archives, Lyle described the wolf pack on the coat of arms that Ethan found as a a wolf pack of protectors or servants of God, hence the "Dei" in Lupus Dei. They are a Wolf of God. I believe thinking of Ethan as just a Werewolf or Wolfman is oversimplifying it. The show may not be playing within the same rules as the werewolves of legend.

I also don't think a full moon has anything to do with Ethan's turning in to a wolf. If that were the case, the witches would probably just do what they need to do when the moon is not full. Problem solved. Ethan can probably turn anytime he wants to, he just doesn't realize it yet. Ethan currently thinks he's a werewolf and not something altogether more powerful or significant. As we saw in the Mariner's Inn, he was able to turn on his own because he himself was in danger. But that is completely different than turning into a wolf save Vanessa. If he turns into a wolf, then his secret is out. And since he is not really sure what he is yet, he doesn't want his cover blown.

Kind if like Harry-Potter-underage-magic-accidents. Ethan turned under the stress of a threat. He just can't fully control it or remember anything about it. Hence, the black outs.

I do think that he wants to share his secret with Vanessa though. He needs to get over the man angst and fess up to her. She probably can shed some light on the "Lupus Dei" thing.

• Love 3

If Vanessa is such a powerful white witch, why doesn't she ward/protect the house against the Nightcomers? Every time she goes to her room for the night, you know something is going to happen!

I found myself wondering the same thing since the cut-wife was clearly able to prevent the Night Comers from entering her property and Vanessa seemed to have learned the charm from her. Extreme negligence on her part.

I was puzzled why Caliban chose to describe his eyes as any shade of yellow since to me they look reddish-brown. 

Believe it or not I did not recognize Angelique as a man the first time we saw her in the previous episode but now that I know she looks nothing like a woman to me now. While she and Dorian were walking down the street all sorts of people were rubber-necking to give her the side-eye so she obviously isn't passing as a woman to most people. It's a strange perception because I really wonder how many people in the late 1800s would see her as a man in woman's clothing versus a rather unconventional looking woman, which is how I perceived her the first time I laid eyes on her.

(edited)

This show, I love it!

Wax museum guy is NOT going to be another eccentric-but-kindly guy like at the theater.  Nope, he's a nasty piece of work, going to lock the freaks up.  Crazy turn, can't wait to see what Caliban thinks of that.  His interaction with Lavinia was sweet; she's not the overly sheltered persona most shows would go with. 

I enjoy the unexpected pairings we've gotten:

Ethan & Sembene - buttercream torte here please.  And yes, dessert for breakfast is delicious.

Malcolm & Lyle - Malcolm should heed his dating advice. Lyle tried to help against the witches (and Malcom pushed him out of the way when the witch attacked).  PLEASE don't kill him show, love the character.

The nerd in me really enjoyed the devil's language puzzle!  From museum artificats!  It doesn't get any better than that, really.

Victor & Vanessa - can't say anything here that hasn't been said already.  Vanessa smiling and making jokes.  Gold all around.

While she and Dorian were walking down the street all sorts of people were rubber-necking to give her the side-eye so she obviously isn't passing as a woman to most people.

I assumed that was because she seemed like an obvious prostitute (high class) than that they thought she was physcally male.  After all, Dorian didn't know until she dropped trou, and with his experience, he should.  Though I don't know how it fits with the others, the two actors have chemistry together.  I like Angelique, I hope she's not evil or that she doesn't get killed by the witches for whatever reason, driving Dorian to seek out Malcom and/or Vanessa. 

The witches did seem to overstimate Lupus Dei.  I want to know what Ethan's deal is with changing; I trust the show will get us there but damn I do want to see a full on change.  Ethan probably would have been dead without Sembene to save him.

Vanessa or someone needs to put some protections on the house.  They just stroll right on in and now they've got her hair to go with her creepy doll. 

This episode flew by for me, the season is firing on all cylinders.

Edited by raven

Eva Green is delightful. And Frankenstein's dialogue in the dress shop was hilarious. 

As was Hecate (really, using that name-Greek goddesses associated with witchcraft. Not doing any research on America) trying to pull a fast one on Mr. Chandler (as Vanessa calls him.) "He smelled me." please. He smelled your poorly disguised bullshit. 

I loved the scene with the blind girl. 

I just love this show. It's funny, it's spooky, it's well acted and charming. Beautiful. 

• Love 1
After all, Dorian didn't know until she dropped trou, and with his experience, he should.

Dorian knew, Angelique asked if he know what he paid for and he said yes and he wasn't surprised at all when she revealed herself. 

• Love 4
The nerd in me really enjoyed the devil's language puzzle!  From museum artifacts!  It doesn't get any better than that, really.

You're not the only one. I get excited every time I hear "museum".

Though I have to admit, the name "Hecate" only rings a bell for me because I watched Buffy.

• Love 1

Good episode but not as great as last week.

I don't feel too much progress was made with the witches until the attack at the house where bits of Vanessa's hair was stolen though.

I liked that Ethan saw through Hecate's attempts of playing damsel in distress. That was good though. The potential power struggle with Hecate and Evelyn might have potential too if explored properly.

Great scenes with Ethan/Sembene, Malcolm/Lyle and the scene where Vanessa/Victor did some clothes shopping was priceless as well. I liked that little bit of levity in the episode.

Caliban's connection with Lavinia is nice enough as is Dorian/Angelique but Dorian needs to become a bit more central to the main storyline soon.

Really not sure about the Lily plot though. 7/10

How many episodes are in this season? I can't believe we've already seen four, this season is just flying by, it's that good.

I think there are 10 episodes this season.   I liked the show last year but I love it this season!   4 eps in and I'm liking it just as much as I do Thrones and that is saying a lot for me .. a lot a lot.   

About Ethan and his ability to turn.  I thought since the finale last season that the moon was in control.  After he killed those men at the Mariner's the next camera shot is the outside of the Inn and then it pans up to the moon, which happens to be full.  Prior to that before the two dudes his father sent came in he was staring out the window and I said to my daughter right off the bat " the moon is full, look how bright it is"  he seemed to realize this and was just waiting.

• Love 2

but I don't think that can apply to Ethan,

I thought since the finale last season that the moon was in control.  After he killed those men at the Mariner's the next camera shot is the outside of the Inn and then it pans up to the moon,

Agreed there have been obvious clues that his turning is not triggered by any particular emotional state (fear/anger), as he's been through the fucking ringer with Vanessa and Monster Mash Gang, but that his black out incidents are spaced out one in the first episode with the woman/her child and then again at in the final episode, most likely a month apart. And he has yet to turn this season, but I'm guessing he will in the next couple and the gang will have to figure out how to help him harness his transformation, or control it to some degree, even if it's just the Oz lock myself in a cage option. I'm more interested whether his owlf is more like a folk tale full on shape shifter into an actual quadreped or if he's more like the werewolf-man of 50's horror films. I usually prefer the former as it's easier to portray and seems marginally more...believable, heh, but given how this show is steeped in a certain amount of meta iconography I might prefer the latter in Ethan's case.

The witches keep referring to him as something completely different though, which is Lupus Dei. According to Lyle- and I could be wrong here- when he was with Ethan in the Museum Archives, Lyle described the wolf pack on the coat of arms that Ethan found as a a wolf pack of protectors or servants of God, hence the "Dei" in Lupus Dei. They are a Wolf of God.

Maybe that's why he's drawn to Vanessa then!

He needs to get over the man angst and fess up to her.

Unlike Victor's dainty man pain. The last time they had a private conversation, Vanessa blathered on for an hour about how she visited a witch and then got branded. Probably not the best time to bring it up. 

After all, Dorian didn't know until she dropped trou, and with his experience, he should.

Oh, I think Dorian knew exactly what was going on. Did you see the look on his face? Angelique said, "I hope you know what you've bought." "Oh, yes. Yes I do." And then they went and played *ping pong*. 

I really really like the artifacts and the language. What a puzzle. I bet the crew had a blast preparing those props. They're so macabre. 

I could have watched Ethan in the kitchen with Semb for the entire hour. The best part was Ethan asked Malcolm, "Hey want some coffee? I'll go get some coffee." Then like an hour later there's this huge dessert and layout for the coffee. No Keurigs back then. 

I was yelling at Ethan though "Dude, she said her name was *Hecate!* Didn't you read Shakespeare?!" Then: "Oh, Northwestern is outside of Chicago", which he immediately picked up on. Yeah, don't say you're from *anywhere* in New England because that is a hugely distinct accent. Just say Omaha. 

I thought it was interesting that "Hecate" said Ethan sniffed her out, instead of the truth: that he was suspicious for a wholly different reason. He had no reason to think she was a witch and part of the crew coming for Vanessa. You would think Madame Kali would be interested in such information because it points to a weakness.

I also called BS on Ethan not knowing the meaning of Hecate. They've made it very clear that Ethan is very well educated, more so than the average American peon, so for him to not had a momentary connection to Shakespeare is silly. 

In hindsight, I don't think she said her name was "Hecate" but a derivative thereof. Ethan did say, "interesting name," so that might have tipped him off and she immediately rambled on about Maine and Northwestern, which he knew was bs right off the bat. He clearly knew she was lying and just naturally went to Pinkertons. 

Why would he think she was one of the witches who attacked him though? He hasn't seen them as 'humans'. Then again, if he did know, probably saying, 'hey you're one of the witches!' wouldn't be good either. 

He might put 2 and 2 together later on though.

In hindsight, I don't think she said her name was "Hecate" but a derivative thereof. Ethan did say, "interesting name," so that might have tipped him off and she immediately rambled on about Maine and Northwestern, which he knew was bs right off the bat. He clearly knew she was lying and just naturally went to Pinkertons. 

Why would he think she was one of the witches who attacked him though? He hasn't seen them as 'humans'. Then again, if he did know, probably saying, 'hey you're one of the witches!' wouldn't be good either. 

He might put 2 and 2 together later on though.

When Hecate was leaving after the attack, she snarked at Ethan about sensible shoes so now he knows.

I could have watched Ethan in the kitchen with Semb for the entire hour. The best part was Ethan asked Malcolm, "Hey want some coffee? I'll go get some coffee." Then like an hour later there's this huge dessert and layout for the coffee. No Keurigs back then. 

The scene in the kitchen....I think Ethan was doing the dishes when the witches showed up.

I don't know why that whole thing tickles me so much, but it does. The two men making coffee and dessert when not fighting hell beasts. It's just good. 

• Love 2

I think it makes sense that the house isn't warded. Malcom and Sembene accept that Vanessa is some supernatural creature that doesn't need to be staked, but their servants don't. There has to be an absolute legion of servants keeping that house spick and span, Vanessa can't run around drawing blood scorpions everywhere. She's probably the subject of endless gossip as it is due to her strange behavior/single status at such an advanced age. Hanging totems from ceilings and drawing blood wards probably signs a death sentence for both of them. Even if she's brought in alone, the brand on her back is enough to start a right shitstorm.

I half expect Inspector Gadget to fixate on them for all the random murders just by Vanessa's reputation alone. 

That raises a very good point: do they not have live in servants? We never see them, not even in the background going on about their business. Tis weird.

I think she could discretely ward the house or the gates, though.

• Love 1

That raises a very good point: do they not have live in servants? We never see them, not even in the background going on about their business. Tis weird.

I think she could discretely ward the house or the gates, though.

This is what I have been wondering too. In a house of that size, they would need a full housekeeping staff, right? Would someone of Vanessa's social class normally have a lady's maid or was that very upper class British?

Would someone of Vanessa's social class normally have a lady's maid or was that very upper class British?

Given the size, quality and location of the home Vanessa grew up in, I would have to say she was from a "very upper class" family. The lack of servants in the house (and Dorian's as well) is odd. But I suppose it's no odder than Victor having a fully electric lab hidden in a squalor ridden tenement.