Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

19 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Thanks for the summary.  Do you recall if they  addressed the sealed motion to allow Darlie to have a polygraph taken before her trial, she did, and yet no mention has ever been made of it since then?  Just curious.  It's not 100% reliable, but, I still like to know when someone does well on it or fails.  If the results are not good, the defense just keeps it quiet.  And, it can't be used in court, so, if one fails there's no benefit to letting the public know about it. 

They didn't, but some other source I read said that the results weren't used.

(edited)
14 minutes ago, riley702 said:

They didn't, but some other source I read said that the results weren't used.

Okay. That's what I thought. If she passed, we'd certainly know about it.  It's not admissible in court, unless the parties stipulate in advance, but, if she had passed, I would imagine her team would be making sure the media knows, so, it could help her out. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, TheGreenWave said:

So I watched the latest episode of the Wonderland Murders last night - and, although I totally get that they suspected that the husband was the murderer (aren't they always??), I was REALLY uncomfortable with the detectives proudly talking about how they went around to his neighbors (no arrest warrant, no body at the time) telling them about how Brian was a murderer and how did they feel living next to a murderer, etc.  I had to change the channel.  I mean, his kid was living with him - what if the neighbors starting harassing the kid?!?  As I have seen many times on ID and other crime shows, sometimes the cops are wrong and it just felt so disgusting for them to do that to someone with no actual evidence that he killed his wife.  It was gross.

I felt the same way.  So much for innocent until proven guilty.  If they had been wrong, they had just cast a shadow over this man’s life and reputation.  Even more galling was the fact that they were so giddy and pleased with themselves.  Small wonder a lot of people don’t trust police and won’t talk to them without lawyering up immediately. 

• Love 3
(edited)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/27/science/dna-family-trees-cold-cases.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fscience&action=click&contentCollection=science&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront

Interesting article...Apparently the same DNA sleuthing that was successfully used to track down the Golden State Killer is now being used to help solve other cold cases:

"In the last seven days, genealogical sleuthing techniques that are old to a handful of genealogists but new to most law enforcement have led to arrests in Washington State and Pennsylvania and unearthed a lead in a 37-year-old murder in Texas. All three cases were only revived when crime scene DNA was uploaded to GEDMatch, the same open-source ancestry site used in the Golden State killer case."

And thanks for the heads-up. I now know to erase "The Last Defense" and the latest episode of Murder Comes to Town.

Edited by Mannahatta
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, Fable said:

I felt the same way.  So much for innocent until proven guilty.  If they had been wrong, they had just cast a shadow over this man’s life and reputation.  Even more galling was the fact that they were so giddy and pleased with themselves.  Small wonder a lot of people don’t trust police and won’t talk to them without lawyering up immediately. 

I thought the same thing.  I kept wondering why they were proud to arrest the guy in front of his kid. Regardless, the kid was likely scared and confused.  I think they were just so wrapped up in this guy being guilty that they could not even consider that they were wrong.  Of course, they weren't wrong.  That's a relief. 

Not victim blaming, but, is this the week where the theme involves women choosing to stay with men who end up killing them? Sure seems a lot of that going on lately.  It must be hard on the family who keep warning the women to escape, get away, get protection order, hide, etc., but, they refuse to listen and then end up dead.  

• Love 1

I will say that I don't think the prosecution proved that Darlie did it.   I have a problem with the cut on her neck, I don't think she would have done that to herself, she almost died.   Her ex is on her side.    I feel like the prosecution wanted the jury to think she had to be guilty because she was young and shallow and had a boob job, which isn't a crime.

• Love 2

I did see a lot of the original coverage and read all the news stories and one of the Datelines. I’m sorry if I misunderstood you but you still seem to be asking everyone how much they know, so I don’t really get your take on this.

Also I lived in Texas for awhile and think their brand of Justice is unfair at best. (Partially a joke)

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm only questioning those who got all their info from that 4-part fakery called "The Last Defense".  It was heavily slanted for the defense, and I do not think she was unfairly sentenced. 

Sorry, I did not mean to offend.

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

I'm only questioning those who got all their info from that 4-part fakery called "The Last Defense".  It was heavily slanted for the defense, and I do not think she was unfairly sentenced. 

"waves hand"

As I said somewhere above, I am one of those people who never heard of this case until this show.  For you, Brattinella, and the others who feel strongly that Darlie was guilty - what was her motive in killing her kids?  Because that's where I'm really confused.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Sorry, I did not mean to offend.

I've been watching this case since it happened. I've read a lot of things against Darlie and I'm still not convinced. I think that most of us are true crime aficionados. Most of the big one's, we've read about and have formed opinions. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

"waves hand"

As I said somewhere above, I am one of those people who never heard of this case until this show.  For you, Brattinella, and the others who feel strongly that Darlie was guilty - what was her motive in killing her kids?  Because that's where I'm really confused.  

I think Darlie was tired of having the boys take up so much of her time and energy.  She had (I have read)  post-partum depression following the birth of her last son. I think she missed the early days of her marriage when she was child-free. 

3 hours ago, Queena said:

I've been watching this case since it happened. I've read a lot of things against Darlie and I'm still not convinced. I think that most of us are true crime aficionados. Most of the big one's, we've read about and have formed opinions. 

Very true.  I read all I can about every case that comes along, especially those involving women and children. I'm glad you do, too.

Oh yes.  The Last Defense was a poor and pitiful attempt to acquaint the viewer with the case.  If it was my first exposure, I'm not sure what I would think.  I will be open to seeing more down the road though, if something credible comes along. I have actually changed my mind about cases when more facts come to light.  There's hard evidence in this one though, that would be difficult to overcome. 

I'm not sure if they really know the true motive.  Others may have more input on that issue.  I know that there were money troubles and even to the point that there was talk of insurance fraud. But, I have no details on that.  She did suffer from depression as well, not that that was the cause.   But, motive does not have to be proved. It's not required and sometimes we know that people kill for reasons that aren't apparent and that we just can't wrap our brain around it.

• Love 3

If she was tired of being a mom, why would she not kill the baby too? It’s harder to take care of a baby because they need you all the time. She was still a mom.  I really can’t see a motive unless she has a undiagnosed mental illness. I think she is probably guilty because there is no evidence to the contrary but stranger things have happened and I didn’t like the way the case was handled. I feel the same way about the Making of a Murderer case. I think the guy is guilty but I can’t get behind falsifying evidence and telling witnesses how to testify. Because the next person they do it too might be innocent.

• Love 5

Something that runs through my mind with the Darlie case is why would anyone break into her house, brutally murder the two young sons , and cut her neck?  I don't know if the neck wound was close to killing her or superficial, but all the had was a neck wound and the bruises on her arms.  The person killed the boys and then left the house. There was no robbery, Darlie wasn't raped, nothing else happened, except the murders.  For everyone asking why would Darlie do this, my question is who would break in and not do anything else?  Like I said earlier, I don't want to believe she had anything to do with it, but so far I'm not seeing anything that proves she's innocent. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

, but so far I'm not seeing anything that proves she's innocent. 

The defense doesn't have to prove innocence.  The prosecution has to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt and I fail to see how they did this especially when the death penalty(which I hate) is at stake.  She had a life threatening throat injury that came close to killing her.  Why would she do that to herself?  Why would she kill two kids but not the third?  Why would she not kill the husband?  Her ex supports her, why would he do that if she killed his kids?  How did the sock get up the road?  Some of the jurors said they were convinced of her guilt by the cemetery video, which is creepy in theory, but who wouldn't have a birthday party for their child, they were probably planning the birthday party before the murders and how do you just not then celebrate the kid's birthday.  There are way too many questions to convict, especially when it's a death case.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

If she was tired of being a mom, why would she not kill the baby too? It’s harder to take care of a baby because they need you all the time. She was still a mom.  I really can’t see a motive unless she has a undiagnosed mental illness.

This Texas Monthly  article from 2002  (which is linked from the Blotter article on the PTV front page) suggests that Darin might be guilty himself or involved in some way.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/maybe-darlie-didnt-do-it/

If it was postpartum depression it would have made more sense to kill the baby too.  If it was for insurance money she should have killed Darin and gotten his  $800,000 policy as opposed to five grand apiece from the two boys.  If it was a Munchausen's by proxy kind of thing I'd think she would have grieved in a more conventionally acceptable way.  She didn't have some odd religious belief that the boys were so bad they had to be sent to hell or so good they had to be sent to heaven.  She wasn't trying to punish her husband by killing his sons.

If she did this I agree about the undiagnosed mental illness, because otherwise I'm not seeing it.  I can't see what material/money advantage these murders would have provided for her. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Court said:

I've always thought her husband was complicit in the murders. I believe he stopped her from killing the baby and then helped set the cover story up.

Agreed.  I always thought she had a psychotic break and he stopped it, and then covered it up.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

Something that runs through my mind with the Darlie case is why would anyone break into her house, brutally murder the two young sons , and cut her neck?  I don't know if the neck wound was close to killing her or superficial, but all the had was a neck wound and the bruises on her arms.  The person killed the boys and then left the house. There was no robbery, Darlie wasn't raped, nothing else happened, except the murders.  For everyone asking why would Darlie do this, my question is who would break in and not do anything else?  Like I said earlier, I don't want to believe she had anything to do with it, but so far I'm not seeing anything that proves she's innocent. 

A sadistic killer would. People often kill once and then stop. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Re: Darlie and her injuries, The Last Defense presented one of the ER nurses, Jodie Fitts, and he testified that there was so much blood on Darlie that they were afraid she had an arterial bleed, so they rushed her to surgery. The surgical report stated "she had lacerations to her shoulder and forearm, which were deep, but did not appear to be close to any vital structures. She had an approximately 9 cm laceration on her neck from the [obscured] to the right sternocleidomastoid muscle which was bleeding profusely. On superficial exploration this clearly penetrated the [obscured] muscle."

To this day, as seen on the current tapes of her, those neck scars are still visible. As documented on the surgical report, they were not superficial.

I've found it interesting as well that, even after all the talk about the shattered glass being found on top of her footprints, she tells the story the same way today - the guy ran through the kitchen, at which time she heard the glass shatter. No attempt to change her story to explain away the prosecution's statements. As I noted earlier, the defense team said in this presentation that the crime scene had been trampled all over and most likely greatly disturbed the evidence.

Sometimes I find the story about her standing at the sink bleeding and cleaning up blood suspicious and yet on the other hand I can see people in shock going through these sorts of motions as I have at times of high stress in my life found that I am doing things as usual, especially cleaning up and washing, with no real reason except it is habit, trauma or no.

The juror they presented was so biased because Darlie spent a lot of money on herself that it was scary.  "Who spends $2000 on breast implants? ...Pictures of the clothes that she was wearing - very flashy, very flashy. Expensive clothes, jewelry - I don't buy any of that stuff, but she bought a lot of that stuff. The way she lived doesn't make her a killer, but it does bring suspicion."  Why?

This isn't the first piece I've seen on Darlie - I've seen many, some of them several times. Although I'm not totally convinced of her innocence, there are plenty of things about the case that I have to question.

Edited by renatae
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, ButterQueen said:

Anyone watch the most recent Fear Thy Neighbor?  

Yes, and boy was it terrifying! Most especially horrid was the mother!  She started everything.  Pretty interesting fence, though.  ;)

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

What was it about?

A single mom and her daughter are thrilled when a single man and his daughters move in.....until allegations of molestation.  The allegations are against new neighbor’s friend, and single Mom starts a war because the charges are dropped and new neighbor is still friends with him.  Their feud lasted 12 years.  I don’t want to spoil it for you.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, ButterQueen said:

A single mom and her daughter are thrilled when a single man and his daughters move in.....until allegations of molestation.  The allegations are against new neighbor’s friend, and single Mom starts a war because the charges are dropped and new neighbor is still friends with him.  Their feud lasted 12 years.  I don’t want to spoil it for you.

Oh yes....I saw parts of it. I think I left off when they showed the neighborhood turned on the dad, even though his friend left.  He blamed his ex-wife. I had to go and missed the rest. 

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh yes....I saw parts of it. I think I left off when they showed the neighborhood turned on the dad, even though his friend left.  He blamed his ex-wife. I had to go and missed the rest. 

It’s worth finishing.

• Love 2

Okay. I watched it.  I'm afraid I have a different take on it.  I think Angela was the instigator.  I find her allegations suspect and the war against Dennis as unjustified. What was to be gained by continuing to go after him.   I'm always suspicious of people who don't want cameras.  Cameras are the friend of the innocent person.  And if you want the person away from you, why keep messing with the fence and throwing things over it?  I just found Angela and her crowd horrible.  I do not believe they were casually out there looking for a dog.  It's unfortunate they died, but, when you place yourself in that situation, it can happen.  I would think self defense was a proper defense, based on that situation. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Okay. I watched it.  I'm afraid I have a different take on it.  I think Angela was the instigator.  I find her allegations suspect and the war against Dennis as unjustified. What was to be gained by continuing to go after him.   I'm always suspicious of people who don't want cameras.  Cameras are the friend of the innocent person.  And if you want the person away from you, why keep messing with the fence and throwing things over it?  I just found Angela and her crowd horrible.  I do not believe they were casually out there looking for a dog.  It's unfortunate they died, but, when you place yourself in that situation, it can happen.  I would think self defense was a proper defense, based on that situation. 

I saw it differently. Angela did go  overboard with the molestation charges I just think she thought he was guilty.

She wanted to move and that idiot sabatouged it. Why not let her move away. I thought  he got away with triple homocide. His daughters moved away as soon as they could. 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

Oh, my God, I didn't realize it was that long. That's a long time to live in misery for both sides. I think they do get a perverse sort of enjoyment out of the conflict. All it takes is two pig-headed people to come up against each other, and they keep ratcheting it up until there's an explosion. This was the first time in a while I've watched this show because it just makes me so anxious. Plus the shows all seem so similar. There's not much suspense.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, applecrisp said:

She wanted to move and that idiot sabatouged it. Why not let her move away. I thought  he got away with triple homocide. His daughters moved away as soon as they could. 

This. He was in his home the night he heard the three of them wandering around outside. If he really thought he was in danger, he could've just stayed in his house and called the police and let them come out there and deal with it. Instead a child has to hide in terror and try calling 911 while she hears her mom and the others getting murdered nearby. 

Add in the fact he was constantly shooting off his gun in his backyard and I think some of that had a lot less to do with any sort of self defense and more to do with trying to show how tough and intimidating he was. 

And the way he was talking at the end about how grateful he was to be here and all that at the end really rubbed me the wrong way, too. Even if he felt justified in what he did, I would think he'd at least show some sympathy for the child who lost her mom that night, as well as Angela's family in general. I dunno, I just got the feeling that he had a few issues of his own. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, applecrisp said:

I saw it differently. Angela did go  overboard with the molestation charges I just think she thought he was guilty.

Exactly I think he enjoyed the feud I also don't understand why he didn't try to move as well. I hope Angela's family and the families  filed a civil suit against him. He should have to pay a penalty for what he did.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, kathyk24 said:

Exactly I think he enjoyed the feud I also don't understand why he didn't try to move as well. I hope Angela's family and the families  filed a civil suit against him. He should have to pay a penalty for what he did.

I read up on the case.  The jury got it right.  All three were high on drugs when they approached him.  Angela brought her daughter with her the night it happened, but she stayed off his property.  The things Angela’s boyfriend threatened to do to him and his daughter, caught on videotape, is horrifying.  

18 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Ohhhhhhhh, man, yeah, last night's "Fear Thy Neighbor" was just....agh. 

Hide contents

Seriously, fuck that trial ruling.

I think the jury got it right.  I did some research on what happened that night.

17 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Angela’s daughter testified at trial that they were not looking for a dog.  They were going to F him up.

• Love 5
(edited)

Thanks for the heads up ButterQueen.  I'm not that familiar with that case.  I just saw what was portrayed on the tv show. I get so frustrated with Fear Thou Neighbor, though, because, normally, things get way out of control.  I don't think that I've ever seen any winners.  

I was in court on business about a year ago and witnessed a real life Fear Thou Neighbor.  There was a restraining order in place and had been for a couple of years, but, the man ,who the order was against would not obey it and the other neighbor filed to have him held in contempt.  So, the man showed up and pleaded his case.  The accusations were much like you see on the show.  He lost and the judge ordered that he be taken into custody and serve 2 weeks in jail.  The things they both said.......made  me think of this show.  I get the feeling that some people participate in that kind of drama as amusement.  

I don't know how these people have the time and energy to feud. OMG, I'm too tired and busy to have time to do much of anything.  The last thing, I'd be up for is fighting with my next door neighbor!

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4

AGREE SunnyBeBe. I like this show but I find it to be the"scariest" in a way because you could live by some belligerent person. I have seen it be mostly one sided on these shows as well.

This episode was very one sided I thought but all the facts were not presented.  If he did in fact jeopardize the sale of the house, I think he is partly to blame. Though that may not have happened.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

I read up on the case.  The jury got it right.  All three were high on drugs when they approached him.  Angela brought her daughter with her the night it happened, but she stayed off his property.

I don't think her daughter was out there. The female witness (Whitney Telliano) was a friend of one of the male victims. 

Regardless of the intent of the three people, Dennis could have called the police from the safety of his home.  But that doesn't make him guilty of murder. 

The jury had to convict on first or second degree murder or else find it was justifiable homicide.  Angela's shooting was the one they had the most trouble with, but ultimately the jury believed Dennis was justified in shooting all three.  Based on what I have read, I understand why they reached their verdict. Perhaps there was a lesser charge that could have been brought against him, but wasn't.   I don't know.

I don't know if anyone else here watched Cold Justice: Sex Crimes, but one of the cases featured was solved recently.  I posted about it in the proper thread, but since no one really visits there, I thought I'd mention it here.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 7/1/2018 at 2:01 PM, ButterQueen said:

Anyone watch the most recent Fear Thy Neighbor?  

Another case of idiots who move to the "country" to get away from the horrors of the city, then expect the "country" to adapt to their fucked-up city attitudes.

Angela seemed like a manipulative shrew who liked to play the damsel so that men would do her bidding.   

Dennis was like a Jeff Bridges character.

Normally I wonder why folks find it so impossible to say, "I'm sorry for everything, maybe we can start over."   But in this case I doubt any peace-making gesture would have worked.  Angela thrived on the feud, loved having men defend her (which is why she lost her shit when Dennis sided with Rusty).    Meanwhile, Dennis seemed to get off on the tension and adrenalin rush.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 9

One of my favorites in true crime stories, is when the killer thinks they are so smart, but, they make a To Do list to help keep them on track like, "Buy bleach, gloves, ammo, rope, shovel, cut phone lines, etc."  and then leave the list in their car for the police to find! lol  So funny.  Sometimes they say they planned it, but, never went through with it.  Although someone else did. But, they don't know anything about it.  

• Love 11

Honestly I think the daughter of Angela in Fear Thy Neighbor was better off without that horrible woman. The whole feud started because one of Angela's boyfriends was alleged to have molested her daughter. Then she moves in two guys and does drugs with them while her daughter lives with her? I have no doubt the feud with her neighbor was much more about controlling him than any concern she had for her daughter.

• Love 7
On 6/27/2018 at 9:00 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I had to give up on The Last Defense about Darlie Router.  That so-called documentary is a sham, imo.  It's obviously, a biased, heavily opinionated, propaganda piece, with a certain agenda.  What a disappointment.  I really enjoy an investigative documentary where the producers are on a truth mission, not finding random people, reporters, unknown speakers from England who have no involvement in the case, to chime in about how things were, when they were not involved in the case, have no basis for their opinion and are just spewing conjecture as fact.  I had to give up on it last night. 

The things they were saying about the nurse testimony was so bogus. I won't go into all that here, because, it doesn't seem that many are watching, but, I don't even consider whether Darlie cried in the hospital as a factor.  Killers, criminals, liars, etc. can fake cry if they need to.  So, I don't base guilt on that.  Nor the silly string.  Not proof of anything to me.  What Darlie nor her camp can't explain away is the physical evidence at the scene and the 911 tape.  

I do hate it that some of the public will be mislead by this unfortunate piece of fiction, I mean, documentary.  Hopefully, the courts won't be easily fooled.  

I agree. Don't think a bogus slanted teevee show will help her court case at all. Obviously, my opinion doesn't count but IMO the bitch did it.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, millennium said:

what is "The Wonderland Murders" about, and is it worth the effort to watch?

It's murders in the Pacific Northwest. Oregon. It's the usual with female detectives. They can't recapture the wonder that was Homicide Hunter. My my my.

19 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

Honestly I think the daughter of Angela in Fear Thy Neighbor was better off without that horrible woman. The whole feud started because one of Angela's boyfriends was alleged to have molested her daughter. Then she moves in two guys and does drugs with them while her daughter lives with her? I have no doubt the feud with her neighbor was much more about controlling him than any concern she had for her daughter.

The daughter was on the show saying she was molested. You think she lied? Shakes head. The neighbor who murdered three people and got away with it was on the show, admitting he took pleasure in scaring away potential home buyers. Were we watching the same show?

• Love 3