Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Delurking to ask...when did ID fill its lineup with shows I like? It snuck up on me. Crime to Remember, of course, but also Cause of Death, Motives and Murders, I'd Kill for You, Murder Book, Stranger in my Home, and Fatal Vows. Even Momsters is watchable.

It's a Christmas miracle!

• Love 5

Welcome, @Maizie131! Glad to have some new blood here.  :-)  If you have any questions, holler! I can help, as the little shield next to my name attests [as a mod!].  :-)

Wendy - thank you so much for fixing that!  I think I'm starting to get the hang of it...we'll see. It sure is great to meet all my new pals who share the same interests, and who, for the most part, agree with ME on these shows.  It's great fun reading their posts, I'll tell ya!  Thanks, again, Wendy.

• Love 1

Delurking to ask...when did ID fill its lineup with shows I like? It snuck up on me. Crime to Remember, of course, but also Cause of Death, Motives and Murders, I'd Kill for You, Murder Book, Stranger in my Home, and Fatal Vows. Even Momsters is watchable.

It's a Christmas miracle!

Hi, ridethemaverick!  Occasionally, ID does come up w/a couple new ones that are great & I agree w/you.  The only thing is if you've ever been a fan of Forensic Files, you'll recognize the exact stories they're showing now (as new) in Cause of Death.  They just gave it another show title, however, the STORY title is the same as it was for Forensic Files.  The 3 they had on last night are all 5-10 years old.  No matter -- they were good ones & I watched them again. 

• Love 2

So I'd Kill For You is good?  I skipped the Carpenter case because first time i was introduced to the story was Law and Order.  I always hated when they did the "ripped from the headlines".  I like Fatal Vows and the 2 talking heads.

This time of year is slim pickins' and I actually like some of the Christmas shows.  Most, however are just too sickly sweet and formulaic, so am glad for the comeback of these ID shows.

I hope Murder Comes to Town and Fear Thy Neighbor come back sometime.  Both had stories that I had not heard before.  I think that is why I am enjoying Momsters, the stories are original and are not usually murders.  I also liked the term of "bulldoser' moms.  There really are moms who are like that, pushy and obnoxious-- I used to work at a preschool.

• Love 3

Last night's lineup was a treat.  Motives and Murders: Cracking the Case, Murder Book and A Crime To Remember - I felt like I'd hit the trifecta.  And since I didn't watch until the wee hours of this morning, it was a nice Xmas gift for me.  :-)

• Love 3

The only thing is if you've ever been a fan of Forensic Files, you'll recognize the exact stories they're showing now (as new) in Cause of Death.  They just gave it another show title, however, the STORY title is the same as it was for Forensic Files.  The 3 they had on last night are all 5-10 years old.

So I HAD heard that theme music before.  Thank you!

• Love 1

Murder Comes to Town is back.  Yessss... Since November ID has been enjoyable and is back to being one of my main networks.  This thread has picked up and i am also glad of that, too.

I noticed ID is advertising a bunch of returning, and a few new shows in January.  If even a couple of the new shows are any good, I'll be a happy, happy watcher.

Happy Holidays to you all, my PTV partners in crime (watching).   And please stay safe out there!

Edited for spelling "good" as "goo"  :-)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 5

Merry Christmas, all!  

I'm not sure what it says about me that I am checking a murder TV forum before going to my sister's house for Christmas but it's probably best not to look too hard at that.  Heh. 

If I had to go to anyone's house for Christmas (and didn't beg off with a well rehearsed lie), I'd make sure they had the ID Channel, because murder & mayhem go with the Holidays.  :-)

• Love 4

Hell, the holidays are notorious for blood and gore! A few glasses of spiked eggnog and that goddamn irritating brother-in-law might not be around to ring in the new year...

Happy "Whatever-Doesn't-Offend-You," fellow posters! I'm off to probe the turkey - hmm, a euphemism, perhaps?!

AKraven - oh yeah -- and yesterday that goddamn irritating son-in-law of mine made me think seriously about sticking a fork in MY eye while listening to him go on & on & on about shit he knows NOTHING about but thinks he does because he's an expert at everything - just ask him.  OMG!  Thank GAWD Christmas is over...I'm exhausted & just wanna watch my "murder shows" (as my Granddaughters call them) that I've DVR'd all weekend!  BTW, AKraven - I like your avatar -- it reminds me of one of my favorite movies of all time - The Birds.  One year we went to California to visit my brother in San Francisco, & took a trip north to Bodega Bay.  We actually had lunch in the restaurant featured in the movie, and saw the schoolhouse, too.  It was VERY fun! 

• Love 4

Okay - just watched the "trifecta" walnutqueen mentioned above & they were pretty good!  Motives & Murders (murder of 16 y.o. Suzette Pritchard) kept my attention but was pissed it wasn't solved for almost 12 years.  I wondered why even in the 80s they couldn't have gotten prints off that ham 'n cheese sandwich fresh from the microwave sitting on the counter.  Was a little disappointed in Murder Book, as again, story retold from another show, but I'll never forget it.  That "lady" (I use the term loosely), Frankie Cochran, whose boyfriend bludgeoned her repeatedly with a claw hammer in the horse stables & she survived?   Must admit she looked a lot better in this re-do.  I LOVED A Crime To Remember!  It's incredible how at the very end they show the victim's/murderer's photos...actor/then the actual photo from way back when.  Was that guy a weirdo or what?!?!  And his mommy covering for him (as so often seems to happen in these stories...unbelievable!).  Anyhow, what did you guys think of these? 

Glad everyone survived Christmas!  (or did they? haha!)

• Love 3

Oh...one more thing.  I've had Forensic Files on the last couple hours while I'm cleaning & I heard a familiar phrase the narrator often uses in the opening:  "Was it an unfortunate accident...or something more sinister?"  EVERY time I hear that, whether I'm alone or not, I yell out, "SOMETHING MORE SINISTER!"  ha!  I'm nuts.

• Love 5

I have not watched Murder Book yet, but have watched the others and agree.  Motives and Murders does seem to focus on cases that take a while to solve.

A Crime to Remember was good as usual.  The killer was one cool customer and I kind of wondered if he had killed before.  He had a serial killer vibe with the only motive is to murder.  I will say that was quick justice compared to today!  Does anyone know when the death penalty became such a slow, appealed filled process??  Just curious.

• Love 4

I wondered why even in the 80s they couldn't have gotten prints off that ham 'n cheese sandwich fresh from the microwave sitting on the counter.

Yes, he must have been the last person to use it.

I'm always telling them to use a technology that someone else has used, like "call NASA,"  when the video is poor quality, and "send it to Canada" for whatever they do with gold, for really difficult finger prints.

I like Cause of Death usually.

With Crime to Remember, if it's a crime I remember fairly well, I'll skip it.

• Love 3

A Crime to Remember was good as usual.  The killer was one cool customer and I kind of wondered if he had killed before.  He had a serial killer vibe with the only motive is to murder. 

He did indeed.  I'd like to believe the investigators looked into it, because he was so calm and creepy.  His mother should have been prosecuted for withholding evidence or something as well, but it doesn't sound like even that would have made her believe her son was a monster. 

• Love 2

I'm genuinely sad that it's already time for the season finale of A Crime to Remember.

Me, too, Fraoch.  I think it's one of the best shows on TV - loved it from the very first episode.  It actually reminds me a little of Mad Men - the sets are amazingly well done and I even like the Allstate commercials.  They need to make more episodes per season! 

• Love 5

I was a little disappointed in When Murder Comes To Town last night.  I thought it was too hard to follow who's who...but then again, I'm still exhausted from Christmas & my brain might not be working 100% yet.  Must say I love the narrator, but his voice is SO soothing it puts me to sleep! 

• Love 4

I am always amazed at the cops on some of these shows.  Sometimes it takes years to solve because someone did not check an alibi or run DNA or checked out a lead..  Then someone looks through the file years later and solves the case. So sloppy.

I know it is hard to be a cop.  

Murder Comes To Town was oK last night, but it was obvious the two guys were the killers.  It was such a close knit community couldn't someone have found out or maybe heard something about a feud between the families.  

I am done criticizing the police, but Suz I understand what you mean, I get so frustrated at times.

• Love 3

Just finished watching the new episodes of Murder Book and A Crime to Remember.  OMG - BOTH were fantastic!  I won't discuss now for those of you who live in different times zones, but I highly recommend both shows.  The Murder Book episode took place in my home state of Michigan, but I don't remember the murders -- it happened on the other side of the state from where I live. 

• Love 2

A Crime to Remember was a bit misleading last night. there was a prostitute involved with the cabbie that was going to rob Carl Hall. She was nowhere mentioned. She's the one who actually tipped off the police, and led them to the cabbie.

Lt. Shoulders had no idea the money came froom the Greenlease kidnapping, until Carl gave up. Personally I believe that he and his partner stole that 300,000 and laundered it through his mob connections. eventually he and his partner served short periods in prison for some other crime.

Also, there were two shots, Carl missed the first time.

sadly, all the Greenlease children died young. Bobby was six, Paul died in the early sixties I believe late 40's, and Bobby's sister died in 1984 and she was only 43.

I felt terrible for the young nun. I hope she was able to forgive herself in time.

One day I would like to see the show cover Schuster/Peterson killings that happened in Chicago in the late 1950s, but wasn't solved until I believe the eighties.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 3

For a while, in A Crime to Remember's recounting of the Greelease kidnapping, I thought that Paul, the adopted son who knew Hall from military school, would end up being the "brains" behind the kidnapping.

At the end of the episode, they mention half of the money went missing and that the cabby and police lieutenant both worked for a local mobster.

Apparently there were 2 police officers, and they both ended-up going to prison

Over half of the $600,000 was never found. FBI investigation established that the two suitcases which reportedly contained the ransom money, and which were in Hall’s possession at the time of his arrest, were not brought to the 11th District Precinct Station as testified by the arresting officers, Lieutenant Louis Ira Shoulders and Patrolman Elmer Dolan. Both officers were subsequently federally indicted for perjury. Lieutenant Shoulders was convicted on April 15, 1954 and sentenced to three years in prison, and patrolman Dolan was convicted on March 31, 1954 and sentenced to two years. After they were released from prison, both returned to the St. Louis area. Shoulders died on May 12, 1962. Dolan received a full pardon from President Johnson on July 21, 1965.

FBI: The Greenlease Kidnapping

Edited by Constantinople
  • Love 3

Did anyone watch Murder Book, about the couple from Michigan.  Really, fucked up case. The wife's brother killed them.  He was a controlling asshole, who may never have been caught.  Just really surprised that the cops don't check some of these suspects' alibis. 

I know he was not on their radar, but would you take the word of a mother, spouse, girlfriend or sibling at face value?  I would not , especially after watching all of these crime shows.  What happened to an air-tight alibi?

Edited by applecrisp
  • Love 5

Suz, he was a creep.  When he kept saying " they only played doctor." I wanted to smash his face in.   I felt bad for his wife.

Anyhow, here's hoping 2015 is a great year.  Better than 2014 which kind of sucked for me.

• Love 4

Yeah, it was very obvious that he abused his wife - at least mentally.

And applecrisp I felt the same way. "Everybody did it." Where 'd he get that idea?

Can u imagine how the rest of his family must feel? And with 7 siblings, why did Gail have to be the one that takes in her parents?

• Love 3

What got me...and what always gets me...is that there are usually a couple of people who hear something very relevant and never relay it to police. For example, the exgirlfriend who he poured his heart out too and told that he raped his sister.

I'd like to think I'm the type of person who would tell the police when the sister is found dead. I mean wtf? And then years later she waited until the last second to say "oh yeah, BTW, he told me he raoed her." Why wasn't that first on her list of things to tell?

But yeah, creepy guy, horrific case.

• Love 6

The Murder Book case about the Brinks:  At first I couldn't figure out why Gail didn't want her parents around after they'd been evicted from living on her brother Ryan's property. Then it all made sense after Ryan's ex-girlfriend told the police that Ryan confessed to raping Gail.

Did anyone watch Murder Book, about the couple from Michigan.  Really, fucked up case. The wife's brother killed them.  He was a controlling asshole, who may never have been caught.  Just really surprised that the cops don't check some of these suspects' alibis. 

I know he was not on their radar, but would you take the word of a mother, spouse, girlfriend or sibling at face value?  I would not , especially after watching all of these crime shows.  What happened to an air-tight alibi?

Now, after watching lord only knows how many episodes of Law & Order and true crime shows such as this, I wouldn't.

Back then? I don't know.

But oh my gosh, he just creeped me out so bad. I don't know why, because heaven knows I've watched enough true crime shows with creepy people on them.

Well, he did do a lot of creepy things:
* Raped his sister multiple times
* Claimed it was just playing doctor and/or that sort of thing people did in the 70s
* Murdered his sister and his brother-in-law, possibly in part due to sexual jealousy
* Showed his then fiancee the dead bodies

Plus, part of me wonders if he didn't just intimidate his fiancee/former wife given that the ex-girlfriend didn't mention the rape confession until decades later, nor did the sister about the blow-up between her brother and sister the day before the murders.

I'm surprised he's only killed 2 people.

• Love 6

The Murder Book case about the Brinks: At first I couldn't figure out why Gail didn't want her parents around after they'd been evicted from living on her brother Ryan's property. Then it all made sense after Ryan's ex-girlfriend told the police that Ryan confessed to raping Gail.

She said she was ok w/the parents moving onto the property. It was 2 other brothers who currently lived w/their parents who were troublemakers. And because her & Rick were putting so much money to fix up their home, they didn't want them there to cause damages.

Understandable to me.

• Love 1

I'm watching a repeat ep of Swamp Murders right now. And I got so pissed off at the beginning I don't know if I'll bother to finish watching it.

The cops at the beginning were such lazy turds with snarky attitudes. First, a 13 year old girl is reported missing, and the local cops are like ho hum, she's run away and she'll come back soon. Then in a nearby jurisdiction, someone reports finding the body of a young girl - and the TH cop ON THIS SHOW actually smirks and says, well we responded but you know, we figured it was nothing, because people are always reporting bodies and they turn out to be mannequins or something. See, he knows this shit because he's this trained experienced law enforcement officer and all.  

[Edited out some stupidly hostile comments. See my later post on what especially bugged me about the episode and set off my rant.]

/rant

Suz - I worked with dumb fucking cops for 25 years.  I have issues, too.

• Love 6

I'm watching a repeat ep of Swamp Murders right now. And I got so pissed off at the beginning I don't know if I'll bother to finish watching it.

The cops at the beginning were such lazy turds with snarky attitudes. First, a 13 year old girl is reported missing, and the local cops are like ho hum, she's run away and she'll come back soon. Then in a nearby jurisdiction, someone reports finding the body of a young girl - and the TH cop ON THIS SHOW actually smirks and says, well we responded but you know, we figured it was nothing, because people are always reporting bodies and they turn out to be mannequins or something. See, he knows this shit because he's this trained experienced law enforcement officer and all.  

[Edited out some stupidly hostile comments. See my later post on what especially bugged me about the episode and set off my rant.]

/rant

Suz - I'm new at this & all, and for the life of me I can't figure out what "TH" means. 

Anyhow, how 'bout Wives With Knives last night?  OMG -- and her husband STAYED with her after that?!?  WTF?!!!  Talk about sleeping with one eye open.  Sheesh!

• Love 2

Suz - I'm new at this & all, and for the life of me I can't figure out what "TH" means. 

Anyhow, how 'bout Wives With Knives last night?  OMG -- and her husband STAYED with her after that?!?  WTF?!!!  Talk about sleeping with one eye open.  Sheesh!

Could you give a synopsis, I don't always watch this show?  Also, Maizie in the general crime thread someone mentioned that a couple on this show was on the reality show Wife Swap. Wold you know anything about it? Just curious.

I watched Stranger in My Home- Bitter Pills and thought it odd.  An older lady lives with her neighbors after being sick and is murdered.  I was very irritated with the daughter.  First a lady who needed a place to stay moved in to help out and it became too much for her.  Then the neighbors take her in while she is doing renovations on her house.

It seemed to me both she and her mother took the easy and cheap way out and should have hired a care worker of some sort.  Just angered me.

• Love 4

Could you give a synopsis, I don't always watch this show?  Also, Maizie in the general crime thread someone mentioned that a couple on this show was on the reality show Wife Swap. Wold you know anything about it? Just curious.

I watched Stranger in My Home- Bitter Pills and thought it odd.  An older lady lives with her neighbors after being sick and is murdered.  I was very irritated with the daughter.  First a lady who needed a place to stay moved in to help out and it became too much for her.  Then the neighbors take her in while she is doing renovations on her house.

It seemed to me both she and her mother took the easy and cheap way out and should have hired a care worker of some sort.  Just angered me.

Applecrisp - Sorry, I never watched Wife Swap, so can't help you there.  As for the Wives w/Knives ep I was referring to - this woman had a horrid relationship w/a guy - he beat the shit outta her on a regular basis, then she finally got out of it.  Years later she met a REAL nice man & they got married.  She started having flashbacks of all her beatings years before (I think she was bipolar, too, and a former drunk).  One day she was baking a cake, everything's great - her sweet husband says he's going out to the garage to work on his motorcycle, and she says fine.  THEN, a few minutes later she gets a bad thought in her head (WHACKO!), grabs a big butcher knife, goes out to the garage, and stabs her husband in the back while's he's bent over working on his bike.  I think she got him twice real good.  He recovered, refused to press charges against her, and TOOK HER BACK.  Wow....just wow.

• Love 2

"TH" is forumspeak for a talking head appearance. In this genre, often it's one of the investigators, a prosecutor, a victim (if the crime wasn't murder, of course), a parent/relative/friend of a victim, and sometimes a reporter or true crime author. A few shows feature shrinks, "relationship experts" or "profilers."

Now that I think about it, I informally judge or grade true crime shows in part based on how many people with first-hand knowledge of the case, appear as THs. At the reliability end of the spectrum: good old Forensic Files and Cold Case Files. I believe those shows always had at least one of the cops who worked the case and usually a family member or friend of the victim, plus often a crime lab tech who worked the case, a prosecutor or attorney who was on the case, and sometimes a reporter. 

Then at the other end of the "infotainment" spectrum, there's the sensationalistic swampland of "Deadly Women," where we see actors dramatizing scenes, Candace DeLong talking about the case, and other experts. But never, ever, as I recall, anyone who actually had any involvement in the case. 

As always, a crude and undeveloped theory that's just IMO and probably easily shot down.

Thanks, again, Suz.  Now I get it!  Anyhow, I can't watch Deadly Women because of Candace DeLong.  There's just something about her voice I can't stand -- nor the wigs she wears (they look like wigs, anyhow).  Plus, too many of the shows have murdered children situations, which I can't EVER watch.   I know a lot of people on this site like Deadly Women & that's great.  It's just not for me.  Couldn't agree w/you more about "good ole" Forensic Files and Cold Case Files.  GREAT shows!

• Love 6

If I see that an episode of Deadly Women is going to include child victims, I delete without watching -- even my cold, blackened heart has its limits. But otherwise, I like it (crazy eyes from CDL and all), especially the old-timey crimes I've not heard about on 10 other shows already.

• Love 3

If I see that an episode of Deadly Women is going to include child victims, I delete without watching -- even my cold, blackened heart has its limits. But otherwise, I like it (crazy eyes from CDL and all), especially the old-timey crimes I've not heard about on 10 other shows already.

It does seem that Deadly Women in recent years has focused more on women who kill children which means I've watched it less and less.  As you said, my cold black heart has limits as well.  

• Love 2

It does seem that Deadly Women in recent years has focused more on women who kill children which means I've watched it less and less.  As you said, my cold black heart has limits as well.  

• Love 2

Which I know must sound odd from a regular viewer of the ID channel, but it's true. I was able to watch last week's episode of A Crime To Remember only because it was a restrained production when it came to dramatizing (or not) the murder of the kidnapped child. Lord. I don't want to even imagine how Deadly Women would have handled that case. 

I watched last week's A Crime To Remember, too.   That was horrific, but I agree it was - thankfully - a restrained production.  Makes me wonder how any parent can live thru the loss of a child.  Wonder how that nun who let him go from school lived the rest of her life.  Had to feel sorry for that woman.

• Love 3

I always feel like the people making A Crime to Remember have a lot of respect for the victims and want to "do right" by them, so they present the information without sensationalizing it. I didn't know anything about the Greenlease case going in, so as a parent, I found the developments heartbreaking, but I could tolerate watching the episode because of the way it was handled, if that makes sense. And yes, that poor nun -- I wondered about her remaining years as well.

• Love 4

Last night's Murder Book was about the 1957 murder of 2 police officers in El Segundo, California.

According to the episode, in 2002 someone called claiming to know the identity of the killer.  A woman said her father -- or uncle, I forget -- was very sick and claimed his brother was the killer.  The police investigated, but eventually concluded the brother couldn't have been the killer .  Among other reasons, the alleged killer was about half a foot too short at the time of the murders.

Nevertheless, that prompted the police to "re-open" the PMR.  They had 2 finger prints that were each partly useful and partly too smudgy, but the techs were able to combine it into "one" good fingerprint and compare it to the FBI database.  That in turn eventually led to the arrest and confession of the true killer.

Supposedly, the killer lived a quiet, respectable life after the murders, but given his crime spree on the night also included rape, robbery and the carjacking of 4 teenagers, I have my doubts.

• Love 4

DVR alert for tonight 1/7/15:

Lone Star Mystery: A Disappeared Special

In August, 2014, 23-year-old Christina Morris spent an evening out with friends in Plano, Texas but never returned home. A massive search involving police, volunteer searchers and even drones ensues but each new fact about the case brings more questions.

I'll also post this in the Disappeared forum.

• Love 2

DVR alert for tonight 1/7/15:

Lone Star Mystery: A Disappeared Special

In August, 2014, 23-year-old Christina Morris spent an evening out with friends in Plano, Texas but never returned home. A massive search involving police, volunteer searchers and even drones ensues but each new fact about the case brings more questions.

I'll also post this in the Disappeared forum.

My money's on Enrique (sp?).  What say you, Walnutqueen and Suz at Large

Last night's Murder Book was about the 1957 murder of 2 police officers in El Segundo, California.

According to the episode, in 2002 someone called claiming to know the identity of the killer.  A woman said her father -- or uncle, I forget -- was very sick and claimed his brother was the killer.  The police investigated, but eventually concluded the brother couldn't have been the killer .  Among other reasons, the alleged killer was about half a foot too short at the time of the murders.

Nevertheless, that prompted the police to "re-open" the PMR.  They had 2 finger prints that were each partly useful and partly too smudgy, but the techs were able to combine it into "one" good fingerprint and compare it to the FBI database.  That in turn eventually led to the arrest and confession of the true killer.

Supposedly, the killer lived a quiet, respectable life after the murders, but given his crime spree on the night also included rape, robbery and the carjacking of 4 teenagers, I have my doubts.

I messed up that post.  I had seen this story on 48 Hours or Dateline and they interviewed a couple of the teenagers, who thought they were going to die.  This show focused mainly on the polce.  

I thought the police did a good job of getting evidence and they did get lucky with the fingerprint. 

The guy had no record after that and lived a seemingly crime free life.  I wonder about that too.  He had no remorse and said he rarely thought about it.  Guess he was good at compartmentalization.  At least he has to spend his "golden" years in the slammer.

• Love 4

I messed up that post.  I had seen this story on 48 Hours or Dateline and they interviewed a couple of the teenagers, who thought they were going to die.  This show focused mainly on the polce.  

I thought the police did a good job of getting evidence and they did get lucky with the fingerprint. 

The guy had no record after that and lived a seemingly crime free life.  I wonder about that too.  He had no remorse and said he rarely thought about it.  Guess he was good at compartmentalization.  At least he has to spend his "golden" years in the slammer.

Yeah, but it always pisses me off when people like this only get caught when they're old.  I want these types to suffer while watching their children grow up from behind bars.

• Love 5