Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

I didn't watch Jodi Arias story yet and don't intend to.  I've already seen plenty on the story and it's not for me.  It has to be the most overplayed previewed special. OMG.  Give me a break.  Is it over yet?  One more night?  I'll be so glad when it's over.  How were the ratings? I wonder if it did as well as they expected.  

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I didn't watch Jodi Arias story yet and don't intend to.  I've already seen plenty on the story and it's not for me.  It has to be the most overplayed previewed special. OMG.  Give me a break.  Is it over yet?  One more night?  I'll be so glad when it's over.  How were the ratings? I wonder if it did as well as they expected.  

I've watched the first two parts, and part three is on Saturday.  I must admit I loathe HoDiHo, but I can't get enough of Juan Martinez ripping her pompous, genius ass apart!

• Love 3

I think “see no evil” is my favorite series on ID. This new one was absolutely heartbreaking and to quote atlantaloves “chilling”. So brutal. I actually cried for that woman. This was the best episode yet as far as the video they had of the murderer.

Edited by hoosiermom
Needed to add something
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, hoosiermom said:

I think “see no evil” is my favorite series on ID. This new one was absolutely heartbreaking and to quote atlantaloves “chilling”. So brutal. I actually cried for that woman. This was the best episode yet as far as the video they had of the murderer.

The episode was heartbreaking. I thought I recognized the B&B across the street from the murder scene, so I googled its location. My husband and I stayed there a few years ago, and I’m glad it wasn’t around this time frame.  The police really did have great video coverage. As soon as I saw that parking lot murder scene, I knew I’d been there. 

The episode from last season showing the nurse in Philly getting accosted on the street was also very thorough with video coverage.

Edited by Sammich
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

Can we discuss See No Evil here, oh man, last night was chilling....SO GOOD....this is a great show and very little re-enactments, which I totally hate. 

19 minutes ago, hoosiermom said:

1 minute ago, Sammich said:

The episode was very good! I thought I recognized the B&B across the street from the murder scene, so I googled its location. My husband and I stayed there a few years ago, and I’m glad it wasn’t around this time frame.  The police really did have great video coverage. As soon as I saw that parking lot, I knew I’d been there. This show is so fascinating.  

The episode from last season showing the nurse in Philly getting accosted on the street was also fascinating. 

Yes, it is one of my favorite crime shows, too.  Last night's episode was horrific.  I was actually very glad the video was dark and shadowy, because I couldn't bear to watch it in any sharper detail.

• Love 4

Do any of you remember this crime? The daughter who helped her boyfriend kill her mother, then they stuffed her into a suitcase while they were on vacation in Bali? Be sure to watch the other videos of her on the right. A woman who belongs to a Facebrook true crime group I am in posted this link today, as it’s her cousin. Or her “bitch cousin” as she referred to her. We were all asking her questions... her aunt (Mack’s mother) did NOT kill her husband. Their money came from an accident he had on a cruise ship, they sued and now this girl is trying to get her hands on the money. She had a baby in prison and some of the money is going to be set aside for her education, but this chick shouldn’t receive a penny. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

I missed this last episode of See No Evil.  Can anyone give me a tiny bit of detail so I can look it up?  Like year and location or names?  Please?

Jordie Hudson St. Augustine, FL

• Love 3
On 1/12/2018 at 3:24 PM, atlantaloves said:

Hey, my fellow murder lovers, are you guys watching the new season of The Killing Fields, nobody is writing about it on its forum and I gotta tell you, this season is so good, man, it's a dilly.  There are no re enactments on this show, at all, it's a live active case, man alive, (or I should said man dead) don't miss this show if you are a murder mystery fan.  This is THE BEST. It is in its third season.  On the Discovery channel and ID as well. 

I started a thread for season 3 over in the forum! It's a very intriguing case.

• Love 1

Just watched the See No Evil, in St. Augustine.
There was no way he was going to get away after that footage.  Poor woman, but why did she choose him to go off with?

What I didn't understand, was why her mother waited 3 days to call police, when she was in poor health, and had left without her medication.  Not that it mattered in the end, but it just seemed strange.

3 hours ago, ExplainItAgain said:

I started a thread for season 3

So were seasons 1 and 2 both with Rodie Sanchez, or did I miss season 1?

I have found that on many types of crime shows, a biggie with just about everyone seems to be how a killer treats the body afterwards.  How many times do we hear about how horrified the person is that the victim was thrown away like trash or the body was dismembered.  It's talked about a lot.   It's like the way they handled the body is worse than the murder.  I don't get it. It's the murder that is horrific. That's what they should focus on.   The victim is not in pain or fear after they are dead.  The major crime was what happened before the death, not afterwards.  And what do these people expect the killer to do?  I mean, I don't expect curtesy and kind treatment of a corpse, by a cold bloodied killer.  I'm not sure why I find it so absurd to hear this so much.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have found that on many types of crime shows, a biggie with just about everyone seems to be how a killer treats the body afterwards.  How many times do we hear about how horrified the person is that the victim was thrown away like trash or the body was dismembered.  It's talked about a lot.   It's like the way they handled the body is worse than the murder.  I don't get it. It's the murder that is horrific. That's what they should focus on.   The victim is not in pain or fear after they are dead.  The major crime was what happened before the death, not afterwards.  And what do these people expect the killer to do?  I mean, I don't expect curtesy and kind treatment of a corpse, by a cold bloodied killer.  I'm not sure why I find it so absurd to hear this so much.  

I hear you.  The other one for me is shooting someone execution style - which I take to mean one shot behind the head.  To me that is a quick easy death far better than being stabbed, strangled or beaten with a blunt object. heck even poisoning is bad.

Did anyone watch The Perfect Suspect, it is new and the title kinda baffles me but I like it so far.

They did the case of Susan Jean King who was convicted of killing her ex boyfriend because she owed him some money.  She did blab that she prayed and saw water and stated that is where they should look for him.

He was in fact found in a pond. now she is the main suspect. She was not more specific than water though. Also she had one leg, her other leg was off from about the hip. hard to get around. He was shot with a.22 and there were gun shot holes in her kitchen. On these two facts, water and .22 bullet holes she was convicted.

She took an Alford plea as instructed by her lawyer. She got 10 years and had spent some time in the jail. A guy gets arrested and confesses with details only the killer would know. It took a year and a half for her to get out. It all seemed ludicrous to me.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, applecrisp said:

I hear you.  The other one for me is shooting someone execution style - which I take to mean one shot behind the head.  To me that is a quick easy death far better than being stabbed, strangled or beaten with a blunt object. heck even poisoning is bad.

Did anyone watch The Perfect Suspect, it is new and the title kinda baffles me but I like it so far.

They did the case of Susan Jean King who was convicted of killing her ex boyfriend because she owed him some money.  She did blab that she prayed and saw water and stated that is where they should look for him.

He was in fact found in a pond. now she is the main suspect. She was not more specific than water though. Also she had one leg, her other leg was off from about the hip. hard to get around. He was shot with a.22 and there were gun shot holes in her kitchen. On these two facts, water and .22 bullet holes she was convicted.

She took an Alford plea as instructed by her lawyer. She got 10 years and had spent some time in the jail. A guy gets arrested and confesses with details only the killer would know. It took a year and a half for her to get out. It all seemed ludicrous to me.

Yes, The Perfect Suspect is pretty good.  I think they are just pulling titles out of a hat.  Anything to sound clever. At Home Alone is the worst, since, I have yet to see an episode of that show where the victim is actually home alone. Go figure.

Here's an article on Susan Jean King.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2014/07/23/this-week-in-innocence-susan-jean-king/?utm_term=.3145a236d5e7

One thing that baffles me are killers that go along with a plan where several people are involved in the killing.  It's not often that a bunch of immature, unskilled, greedy killers are going to do a great job, keep their mouths shut for their rest of their lives, and protect you at all costs.  It's beyond bizarre.  This is seen in the murder of Dana McKay, where her cheating husband gets his girlfriend and buddies from his part-time job at the auto parts store to murder his wife.  I mean, WHAT did he and his lover think would happen when they investigated the murder?  They go to his girlfriend and her buddies and of course, it's all on their cell phones.   Talk about dumb criminals. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
On 1/18/2018 at 3:36 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

It actually did really well for them. The final episode got a .6 in the demo and over 2 million viewers. So expect to see more like this.

I didn't intend to watch this, but I got sucked into a marathon. Wow, she was a piece of work. I pretty much ignored the trial while it was going on,  except to occasionally wonder what was taking so long to convict her. I didn't realize that she had two death penalty juries and just missed out on death by one vote with the second one. 

Edited by RinaX
On 1/19/2018 at 8:44 PM, walnutqueen said:

Actually, because I am more aural than visual, Hear No Evil is just as scary to me.  ;~(

The first time I tried to watch, either the first or second episode, I was in the hospital. I was there for almost a month and it was pretty harrowing. Like a lot of people I don't sleep well in the hospital, but it helped to fall asleep to movies or TV and because I was a polite roommate I watched on my phone, earbuds in, of course. The DVR at home was backing up, so I started watching recorded shows, and I put on Hear No Evil. I dozed as soon as I started it, and woke, must have been moments later, disoriented in a pitch black room, someone's rasping, shuddering, agonized breaths in my ears. I froze and started looking around then saw my phone and read text on screen that I was hearing the last breaths of a woman. I am not adequately capturing how creepy it was with that agonal breathing in my ears, in that dark room. I ripped out my earbuds and I don't think my heartrate slowed down for ten minutes. I don't think I ever watched that show again. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, RinaX said:

It actually did really well for them. The final episode got a .6 in the demo and over 2 million viewers. So expect to see more like this.

I didn't intend to watch this, but I got sucked into a marathon. Wow, she was a piece of work. I pretty much ignored the trial while it was going on,  except to occasionally wonder what was taking so long to convict her. I didn't realize that she had two death penalty juries and just missed out on death by one vote with the second one. 

She completely lost her shit when she finally realized that Travis was not going to marry her and was actually seeing another woman.  A "pure/untouched Mormon woman" `

He made it clear to her that she was only good enough for a 'booty call' but not to marry.

I'm not blaming the victim, but, I wonder why so many of them seem to allow very, obviously unstable and dangerous people to get and stay so close to them.  Maybe, I'm just very suspicious of people, but, when someone puts themselves on you, after you have made it clear, you don't want them.......why turn your back?  I'd be expecting them to go off, get revenge, payback, etc.  

28 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm not blaming the victim, but, I wonder why so many of them seem to allow very, obviously unstable and dangerous people to get and stay so close to them.  Maybe, I'm just very suspicious of people, but, when someone puts themselves on you, after you have made it clear, you don't want them.......why turn your back?  I'd be expecting them to go off, get revenge, payback, etc.  

Travis was VERY inexperienced sexually, and Jodi was more than willing to do EVERYTHING with and to him.  That seems to be a pretty big draw for young men.  He was sadly, too naive and trusting.

• Love 1

I have no patience or compassion for Jodi at all, but, I didn't get why he kept having sex withe her, knowing it was over and that he had no feelings or intentions with her at all.  I suppose you could call it naive, but, I saw it as something else.  But, it's irrelevant.  He didn't deserve to be murdered.  I think I recall from the trial how a family member or friend had warned him about Jodi, but, I guess he didn't believe them. 

• Love 3

"too naive &  trusting " ? There was no trust there. Not on his part.

I was using her for sex and he knew that he didn't want anything else from her but sex.

She wasn't good enough for him to marry

I think she kept going back because...... maybe she thought that if she kept giving him what he wanted he would realize that he did indeed love her. From all accounts.....

time stamp on camera, they had sex the day she murdered him, he was still using her to the very end knowing that she was going to marry another woman.

Naive & trusting ?

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have no patience or compassion for Jodi at all, but, I didn't get why he kept having sex withe her, knowing it was over and that he had no feelings or intentions with her at all.  I suppose you could call it naive, but, I saw it as something else.  But, it's irrelevant.  He didn't deserve to be murdered.  I think I recall from the trial how a family member or friend had warned him about Jodi, but, I guess he didn't believe them. 

Not sure if he didn't believe the warnings, I think he just didn't care. He probably saw her as a whore who he used for sex..... PERIOD

• Love 2

Yeah, I think that there was quite a bit of poor treatment going on, since, she wanted to have sex with him.  But, what I don't get is that while friends have warned you, you still place her in your apt.  She could claim that you raped her, steal property, damage property, tell your family, etc.  There is so much that an unstable person can do to ruin your life.  I'm not sure why he got in the shower and didn't lock the bathroom door. 

For those who followed closely, maybe you can recall, but, Jodi had done something sinister that was threatening prior to the murder and they pretty much knew she did it.  It was something like damaging a car or slicing tires........does that sound familiar? 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

I've never actually watched any of the crime shows about them from start to finish, so I have some questions that maybe you guys can answer.

1) On the night that she murdered him, did he call her over or did she just show up ?

2) After he used her that night, did he tell her to leave because he had another date ?

3) Did he get into the shower when she was still there ?

4) What made this night different from any other night ? Why did she go all psycho on him that night ?

5) He told her that he would not marry her because she wasn't a virgin. Didn't his Faith require him to also be one ?

Edited by stillhere1900
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, Razzberry said:

I think what really set her off is finding out he was taking another girl to Cancun.   She just shows up the night before he's due to leave and literally crawls in his bed.  

Holy Smokes !!!  He was leaving on vacation the next day with another woman, yet he had sex with Jodi that night.

"Naive & trusting" are not  the two words I would have used to describe Travis Alexander.

He knew what he was doing.

• Love 3

Did anyone catch that documentary hosted by James Patterson over the weekend about the rise and fall of Aaron Hernandez? OMG.  Now that was fascinating.  I've followed that story for a while, but, it really pulled it together.  I bet the book goes into more detail.  It sure was a WILD story.  I may just get the book.  I can't recall what network it was on, but, I think there are more coming up about different crimes.  It's called All American Murder I think.  

http://www.jamespatterson.com/books/all-american-murder#.WmZ7AK6nGM8

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

There’s a People Magazine Investigates forum, not getting much action, we should all go over there and comment so it won’t die. :)

This is why I think it's better to keep most things here.

• Love 1

I'm watching James Patterson's Murder is Forever. It's about that guy who hired those hillbillies to kill his wife, and was paying them from the millions he was stealing from his employer. I thought that was the story from the description on my DVR, but when they showed the wife for the first time it threw me off. The actress playing her is a skinny blonde; in real life she's a heavyset brunette.  That was kind of a crazy story, but it was much better done on Dateline or whatever other show it was I saw it on. This is one of those badly-acted re-enactment shows. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, KellsBells said:

I'm watching James Patterson's Murder is Forever. It's about that guy who hired those hillbillies to kill his wife, and was paying them from the millions he was stealing from his employer. I thought that was the story from the description on my DVR, but when they showed the wife for the first time it threw me off. The actress playing her is a skinny blonde; in real life she's a heavyset brunette.  That was kind of a crazy story, but it was much better done on Dateline or whatever other show it was I saw it on. This is one of those badly-acted re-enactment shows. 

This one was a real mess - the constant reenactments were terrible, and the story was so disjointed.  Dateline (if that's where I saw it first) did it much better.

On 1/18/2018 at 8:43 PM, cooksdelight said:

Do any of you remember this crime? The daughter who helped her boyfriend kill her mother, then they stuffed her into a suitcase while they were on vacation in Bali? Be sure to watch the other videos of her on the right. A woman who belongs to a Facebrook true crime group I am in posted this link today, as it’s her cousin. Or her “bitch cousin” as she referred to her. We were all asking her questions... her aunt (Mack’s mother) did NOT kill her husband. Their money came from an accident he had on a cruise ship, they sued and now this girl is trying to get her hands on the money. She had a baby in prison and some of the money is going to be set aside for her education, but this chick shouldn’t receive a penny. 

I remember seeing this case. In fact was on Oxygen this past weekend. There's one thing I was wondering.  Is the baby still in Indonesian foster care, or was she ever brought to the U.S.?

2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

This one was a real mess - the constant reenactments were terrible, and the story was so disjointed.  Dateline (if that's where I saw it first) did it much better.

Yes, it felt very cheaply and randomly done. 

Watching this week's People Magazine Investigates (a well-done show, by the way). It always makes me roll my eyes when people send loved ones sealed envelopes and say, "Only open this if something terrible happens to me." If I got one of those from my son or daughter or mom or sister, I'd rip it open the second I got it, go get them and drag them to safety by their hair. Just sayin'. 

• Love 6
On 1/21/2018 at 0:07 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Ive had these identical thoughts. I’m sure if it was my loved one I’d feel somewhat differently, but I do believe I’d be far more horrified by what happened before death. 

33 minutes ago, KellsBells said:

Watching this week's People Magazine Investigates (a well-done show, by the way). It always makes me roll my eyes when people send loved ones sealed envelopes and say, "Only open this if something terrible happens to me." If I got one of those from my son or daughter or mom or sister, I'd rip it open the second I got it, go get them and drag them to safety by their hair. Just sayin'. 

This. It's like those moments when you hear family and friends talk about how their loved one's final words to them were, "If something happens to me, so and so did it"...and then they watch the person leave for home or wherever, and that's the last they ever see of them. That is not the sort of thing people say just for the hell of it. I don't get how people just let that sort of statement go without trying to do something

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 2

That reminds me of the "Bathtub Killer" episode, where two neighbors of this woman were killed in the same way, maybe a year apart.  She had this horrible feeling, or more like a certainty, that she'd be next, and she was!   She's lucky she lived, but why in the hell would she not have a weapon handy, pepper spray, an alarm system, something.  Another thing I didn't get was her sister would sometimes stay with her, and say things like "Remember, the boogieman is all in your head."    Yeah, not really, the bathtub killer was on all the news.  I'd move or have the place boobie trapped and shotgun loaded. 

• Love 2