Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Jaded

General True Crime Shows

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I'm amazed they were able to find the body after this long

I get so angry that it takes decades sometimes to find the perpetrator. After they do find them, often times it seems so obvious and you wonder why the investigators dropped the ball, other than being incompetent and idiots. Lazy mofos sometimes, who can't be bothered because a woman goes missing.
 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, nokat said:

It looked deliberate to me. She pointed her tires. She backed out knowing she was knocking people down, and then ran over her SIL on purpose. Watch the tires.
 

I disagree.  None of us know what she was or wasn't thinking.  What I do know is that PTSD can make people out of their minds, so I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

I disagree.  None of us know what she was or wasn't thinking.  What I do know is that PTSD can make people out of their minds, so I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

You have a kind heart, and yes, we don't know. Like we don't know what most people are thinking when they do unimaginable things. They still did them.
 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Yes, I do have a kind heart, but I'm also a realist.  I don't believe this woman was a cold-blooded murderer, as is often the case on ID shows.

I'll agree with you that she did something on the spur of the moment. In no way equivalent to the people who plot for weeks.
 

If I had been on the jury, I probably would sympathize a lot more, and understood the PTSD. Would have recommended a light sentence.
 

Edited by nokat · Reason: rethinking
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Has anyone done much research on domestic violence?  I've read a lot over the years and it's rather perplexing. No one deserves to be abused, but, it's difficult to protect victims if they insist on associating with abusers, defend abusers and refuse to listen to others who warn them about abusers. Often, the murdered victims have refused to seek help and have ignored warnings that their chosen mate is violent and has seriously harmed other women.  I've read that often these victims have grown up in violence and something about that kind of dynamic seems to make them feel normal. So, the terror we might experience in that kind of environment is strangely comforting to some, who have a history in it. I'm not sure how you remedy that and stop it. It seems like a culture of little boys who grow up abusing and women who gravitate to that kind of man.  (Yes, I know there are exceptions, but, the vast majority of Plaintiffs in domestic violence courtrooms are women, with the defendants being male. They come from all spectrums of the socioeconomic ladder.)  

  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Has anyone done much research on domestic violence?

One of my very good friends was a classic case, where he started to isolate her from family and friends. Whenever I visited he was always hovering, and didn't like me. I don't understand it. You want to help, but help isn't welcome.

Had a man put his hands around my throat and say you'd be easy to kill. That relationship was over that day. It can be difficult to extricate yourself from that kind of thing.
 

  • Like 5
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post

I watched the Twisted Sisters episode last night about the sisters that were hoarders so the children in the home were removed and they ultimately killed the social worker who had been involved.  The end was very disturbing and I ended up sorry that I watched it.  The fact that they aired specific details about how the one sister restrained the social worker while the other beat her with a hammer, and then how she ultimately died, seemed to cross a line.  The pain of the victim's Mother.  Ugh.  

I watched another show (not sure what it was on) about Chris Watts who killed his wife, Shanann, and two little girls.  That format too gave very specific details regarding the murders, including the last moments of those two precious girls.

I just don't think graphic details like that are a necessary part of the story.  I watch a lot of these types of shows, for the insight into people and the ultimate (hopefully) justice at the end.  But there are some things that feel disrespectful to the victims and these two shows ended up feeling dirty.  

  • Like 5
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post

@Kiki620, I agree! Even hard-boiled Joe Kenda left out some of the most grisly details of his cases when relating them on his TV series (he disclosed some of them in his autobiography, with suitable warnings, and wrote that there were just some details too horrific to include in a TV show). 

I watched the first 15 minutes or so of that Twisted Sisters episode last night. I began to get creeped out, and the Monday night NFL game was getting interesting, so I didn't watch the rest of the episode, and now I'm glad! 

I live in the Denver area, and the Watts family was originally in the news as a local missing persons case. I took one look at that guy standing in his driveway talking to the TV cameras about his "missing" wife and kids and knew he had killed, at least, his wife. Having read a bit about the fate of those little girls, I knew better than to watch that show about Chris Watts (I think it was on Oxygen or maybe on Reelz). I have a very low tolerance for the details of crimes against children

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Kiki620 said:

I watched the Twisted Sisters episode last night about the sisters that were hoarders so the children in the home were removed and they ultimately killed the social worker who had been involved.  The end was very disturbing and I ended up sorry that I watched it.  The fact that they aired specific details about how the one sister restrained the social worker while the other beat her with a hammer, and then how she ultimately died, seemed to cross a line.  The pain of the victim's Mother.  Ugh.  

I just don't think graphic details like that are a necessary part of the story.  I watch a lot of these types of shows, for the insight into people and the ultimate (hopefully) justice at the end.  But there are some things that feel disrespectful to the victims and these two shows ended up feeling dirty.  

Glad I dozed off before the end.  I dozed during the commercial break where they found a bag in the loft of the storage shed.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Not much seems too graphic to me, though, that's probably not a good thing. What gets me are the depictions of children who are tortured, especially over the course of years by evil parents who abuse them under the cloak of religion. Mental abuse, teaching them to kill, etc.  THAT's what gets to me. I consider robbing a child of their childhood an incredibly cruel thing to do. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 13
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

@Kiki620, I agree! Even hard-boiled Joe Kenda left out some of the most grisly details of his cases when relating them on his TV series (he disclosed some of them in his autobiography, with suitable warnings, and wrote that there were just some details too horrific to include in a TV show). 

I watched the first 15 minutes or so of that Twisted Sisters episode last night. I began to get creeped out, and the Monday night NFL game was getting interesting, so I didn't watch the rest of the episode, and now I'm glad! 

I live in the Denver area, and the Watts family was originally in the news as a local missing persons case. I took one look at that guy standing in his driveway talking to the TV cameras about his "missing" wife and kids and knew he had killed, at least, his wife. Having read a bit about the fate of those little girls, I knew better than to watch that show about Chris Watts (I think it was on Oxygen or maybe on Reelz). I have a very low tolerance for the details of crimes against children

That's exactly what my dad and I thought the first time we saw him talk to the cameras. His body language, his arms crossed and the way he spoke it all screamed he killed them. There was nothing you'd expect to see from someone who's family is missing and is terrified or is in denial. I do love he mentioned a small fight with his wife but he wasn't going to say anything more on that. Yeah, that's not suspicious at all Chris. Same with that Patrick Frazee who I'm sure thought he was so much smarter then Chris Watts by not saying anything to the cameras. Except he still missed the whole everything points to him along with him never reporting her missing.  

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Not much seems too graphic to me, though, that's probably not a good thing. What gets me are the depictions of children who are tortured, especially over the course of years by evil parents who abuse them under the cloak of religion. Mental abuse, teaching them to kill, etc.  THAT's what gets to me. I consider robbing a child of their childhood an incredibly cruel thing to do. 

That's why I tend to skip a lot of the "neighbor from hell" shows (they now air on a few channels).

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I wish they did more research on family annihilators, like Watts.  It takes something very strange indeed to coldly murder your entire family and seemingly have no qualms about it afterwards. I'm still not convinced that it was done in the heat of passion and that the girls were just a coverup.  I suspect that he planned to kill them all for some time. There are degrees of sociopathy, but, this takes it to a whole other level.  We need the research, so they can be spotted and avoided by good people. They seem to be awesome, until the killing starts. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wish they did more research on family annihilators, like Watts.  It takes something very strange indeed to coldly murder your entire family and seemingly have no qualms about it afterwards. I'm still not convinced that it was done in the heat of passion and that the girls were just a coverup.  I suspect that he planned to kill them all for some time. There are degrees of sociopathy, but, this takes it to a whole other level.  We need the research, so they can be spotted and avoided by good people. They seem to be awesome, until the killing starts. 

I haven't watched a lot about that case because it bothers me too much (those cute little girls.....).  But I sometimes wonder how much about their "perfect" life and his good guy image was pure spin for her social media presence, which was mentioned in a lot of the stuff I read about the case.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wish they did more research on family annihilators, like Watts.  It takes something very strange indeed to coldly murder your entire family and seemingly have no qualms about it afterwards. I'm still not convinced that it was done in the heat of passion and that the girls were just a coverup.  I suspect that he planned to kill them all for some time. There are degrees of sociopathy, but, this takes it to a whole other level.  We need the research, so they can be spotted and avoided by good people. They seem to be awesome, until the killing starts. 

I'm sure he planned it for awhile too. There's no way he suddenly goes crazy and kills his family. He killed his wife first, and took his kids for a ride where he would bury them. Killed each one and dumped both kids in the oil drums. He knew exactly what he was going to do. But at the same time he missed other details and couldn't pull off the worried spouse and father. There does need to be more research into them. I'm not blaming his parents but seeing that they believe his lie of what happen I do kind of wonder how often they let him get away with stuff or bought whatever he claimed. I could be wrong. Maybe they can't believe their son could murder his whole family in cold blood and are accepting the only version they can accept. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

1 minute ago, funky-rat said:

I haven't watched a lot about that case because it bothers me too much (those cute little girls.....).  But I sometimes wonder how much about their "perfect" life and his good guy image was pure spin for her social media presence, which was mentioned in a lot of the stuff I read about the case.

Yes. I wonder that too. She was actually from my homestate of NC.  Her family still lives here. From all accounts, they believe that he was a very good and loving father and husband, up until she discovered he was having an affair. So, did he change or was he wearing a mask?  I know that narcissists can do that. They portray themselves as very good and charitable people, helping all who need help, giving of their money, time, etc., but, they do it for the attention and to garner praise. They really don't want to do it, but, it's what they do to have a certain reputation and that is important to them.  I think Watts liked being known as a great dad, but, he wasn't a great dad. It was all an ACT.  JMO. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I haven't watched a lot about that case because it bothers me too much (those cute little girls.....).  But I sometimes wonder how much about their "perfect" life and his good guy image was pure spin for her social media presence, which was mentioned in a lot of the stuff I read about the case.

That's true. It is a pet peeve of mine after crimes when people point to Facebook and other social media accounts how they looked so happy and so "perfect". Pretty pictures on Facebook doesn't mean anything. Its about the same as neighbors always saying how nice their neighbor was when they turn out to be a murder.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

That's true. It is a pet peeve of mine after crimes when people point to Facebook and other social media accounts how they looked so happy and so "perfect". Pretty pictures on Facebook doesn't mean anything. Its about the same as neighbors always saying how nice their neighbor was when they turn out to be a murder.

Right. Ever see the movie Mr. Brooks? OMG.  It's about a diabolical killer, who seems perfect on the outside.  Very intriguing story.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

There's a family on FB that I see their videos ALL THE TIME (not sure why - I have zero interest, and have never watched, liked, etc.  I have read comments from time to time.

They have at least three accounts they post under.  Their videos are always one of 3 topics:

1) OMG our kids/family are perfect!  Watch and see how cute/perfect!

2) OMG we have an emergency!  Watch and tell us what to do!

3) OMG you guys are so cruel!  How could you comment with such negativity?!

Some people always come to their defense, but others are spot on with the "You're inviting commentary and you'll get good and bad, plus you make money with all of these accounts and videos you have".  Apparently they have frequent emergencies, and most are just drama-driven crap.  I sometimes wonder if they will be a future ID story.....

  • Like 9
  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

There's a family on FB that I see their videos ALL THE TIME (not sure why - I have zero interest, and have never watched, liked, etc.  I have read comments from time to time.

They have at least three accounts they post under.  Their videos are always one of 3 topics:

1) OMG our kids/family are perfect!  Watch and see how cute/perfect!

2) OMG we have an emergency!  Watch and tell us what to do!

3) OMG you guys are so cruel!  How could you comment with such negativity?!

Some people always come to their defense, but others are spot on with the "You're inviting commentary and you'll get good and bad, plus you make money with all of these accounts and videos you have".  Apparently they have frequent emergencies, and most are just drama-driven crap.  I sometimes wonder if they will be a future ID story.....

Man, that's crazy. No way that I would want that for my family.  I'm not sure what the appeal is to be that exposed nor to want so much info about others.  But, I guess if there's money involved, that's a big incentive.  Others, I would suspect are attention hounds. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Man, that's crazy. No way that I would want that for my family.  I'm not sure what the appeal is to be that exposed nor to want so much info about others.  But, I guess if there's money involved, that's a big incentive.  Others, I would suspect are attention hounds. 

I don't get it either.  On the flip-side, there's a family that posts (under one account) about their teenage autistic non-verbal daughter.  I watch them here and there, because I like to stay educated about things, and it's given me some better insight in to things.  The family is very likeable, very honest, and good advocates.  Any money from their videos goes to their foundation - the parents both have "real" jobs.  Someone watched one of their videos, and reported them to CPS. 

Among the allegations was that the girl didn't have free access to food (fridge, cupboards, etc).  Had they watched anything else, they'd know that she's learning sign language and if she wants a snack or food, she needs to ask for it as part of her learning.  Also, she'd take things out of the cabinets, spill them (for various reasons, including just liking the noise it made, or watching things fall), overeat until she's sick, etc.  There were more allegations, equally ridiculous.  So sadly, in that case, they're making videos to educate, and some keyboard warrior decides to be judge, jury, and executioner.  And I doubt they even knew who they were personally, or lived in the same state.

Thankfully, CPS laughed it off, and said they were going to look in to who made the complaint, for completely wasting their time.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Can someone help me identify a recent, though old episode of what I think was Fear Thy Neighbor. Mother of 4 children moves next to another family.  The other family has teen son who shoots and kills a teen intruder that was believed to be breaking into his house, after cutting power line.  Neighbor wears t-shirt with dead boy's face on it, raising money for his funeral. Shooter neighbor freaks out about this. Feels its a conspiracy.  Then, Neighbor mother has her car broken into and her gun is stolen. PLEASE!  I missed the rest, but, you could see what was coming.  I'm trying to find the name of the parties. 

  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Can someone help me identify a recent, though old episode of what I think was Fear Thy Neighbor. Mother of 4 children moves next to another family.  The other family has teen son who shoots and kills a teen intruder that was believed to be breaking into his house, after cutting power line.  Neighbor wears t-shirt with dead boy's face on it, raising money for his funeral. Shooter neighbor freaks out about this. Feels its a conspiracy.  Then, Neighbor mother has her car broken into and her gun is stolen. PLEASE!  I missed the rest, but, you could see what was coming.  I'm trying to find the name of the parties. 

Here's a list, if this helps any at all (I don't recall seeing the one you reference):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_Thy_Neighbor

HLN also now has a killer neighbor show.

ETA: is this it?  If so, it's "House Of The Rising Gun".

https://www.nola.com/news/crime_police/article_89b3293a-67ba-56f3-b135-b3ddd048abaa.html

Edited by funky-rat
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

I watched the Twisted Sisters episode last night about the sisters that were hoarders so the children in the home were removed and they ultimately killed the social worker who had been involved.  The end was very disturbing and I ended up sorry that I watched it.  The fact that they aired specific details about how the one sister restrained the social worker while the other beat her with a hammer, and then how she ultimately died, seemed to cross a line.  The pain of the victim's Mother.  Ugh.  

That episode was incredibly sad and haunting. The footage of that home. Dear god. It always unnerves me when even the investigators in these stories are shaken up by what they witnessed. 

But yeah, it's clear that family had a LOT of issues that were never properly addressed until it was far too late. I feel bad for the poor children and the family of the social worker. 

I agree with the general sentiment about how some of the details aren't necessary in some stories. Like when they show photos or police footage involving actual dead bodies, or when the murder is especially graphic in nature. There are just some things your average viewer really doesn't need to know or see. The general story is horrifying enough as it is. 

(On the note of "Twisted Sisters", by the way, I've been meaning to mention this-the main theme music they use for it sounds so familiar to me. I swear I've heard it on something else before. I just can't think of what. Anyone else have any ideas?)

5 hours ago, funky-rat said:

That's why I tend to skip a lot of the "neighbor from hell" shows (they now air on a few channels).

Speaking of horrifying stories, last week's episode of "Fear Thy Neighbor" was beyond fucked up. It made me so angry. 

5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wish they did more research on family annihilators, like Watts.  It takes something very strange indeed to coldly murder your entire family and seemingly have no qualms about it afterwards. I'm still not convinced that it was done in the heat of passion and that the girls were just a coverup.  I suspect that he planned to kill them all for some time. There are degrees of sociopathy, but, this takes it to a whole other level.  We need the research, so they can be spotted and avoided by good people. They seem to be awesome, until the killing starts. 

I fully agree with this. Every family has its issues, of course, but yeah, you don't just wake up one day and take out your whole family for no reason. 

And god, yes, people really need to get away from the "perfect family" idea. No family is perfect. Such a thing does not exist. Just because some people don't advertise their problems openly doesn't mean they don't have them. 

I also agree with those who are uncomfortable with families trying to parade how great they are all over social media. I especially don't like how parents keep plastering their kids all over the place, simply because a) safety reasons (seriously, it's funny how a couple decades ago kids were told to be very careful online and nowadays parents are happily sharing all this personal stuff about their children online), and b) not everybody wants to be in the spotlight like that, and not everything your kid does needs to be shared with complete strangers online. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

Here's a list, if this helps any at all (I don't recall seeing the one you reference):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_Thy_Neighbor

HLN also now has a killer neighbor show.

ETA: is this it?  If so, it's "House Of The Rising Gun".

https://www.nola.com/news/crime_police/article_89b3293a-67ba-56f3-b135-b3ddd048abaa.html

Yes, it's the one on the second link.  The young man shooter was Ryan Poree.  I'll have to watch the entire episode, but, this young man's neighbors added fuel to the fire in that case. The teen neighbor condoning the intruder and wearing his face on tshirt, all the while her neighbor was suffering PTSD from being victim of home invasion and having to kill another teen.  It just seemed so avoidable. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone been to a social services office lately?  I have and man....there is security guard and metal detector. Visitors are issued numbers and called back individually, after first chatting with a rep who is behind a plastic window. She finds out why you're there and surveys the situation.  I guess that some people are on a watch list.  I get why they are so careful.  No way, that I would work in that type of setting. I can't even imagine those who have to do home visits. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

From my DNA test I found that there's an "empathy gene" (not sure of the technical term) when they said mine registered "moderate, somewhat on the low side"!  I was shocked since some of these shows bothered me so much.   But I think some people like these family guys are just born with very little or no empathy.  They can marry and have kids, but don't really love them.   

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

They keep showing this older short haired woman in previews who says “And then he turned to me and said, Zany, I’m sleeping with one eye open!”. I’m sure it will be boring, but I need to know if her name is really Zany. 

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Razzberry said:

From my DNA test I found that there's an "empathy gene" (not sure of the technical term) when they said mine registered "moderate, somewhat on the low side"!  I was shocked since some of these shows bothered me so much.   But I think some people like these family guys are just born with very little or no empathy.  They can marry and have kids, but don't really love them.   

I don't think I have it. NOT that it is a good thing. lol Except, when it comes to children, seniors and animals. I get really upset when I see them harmed. Then, I become proactive. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

This week I finally watched a true crime series on Netflix: The Investigator: A British Crime Story. For some reason, Netflix queues up Season 2 before Season 1. So I watched S2 first. Then S1.

Okay, I thought S2 was better than S1, but I thought both seasons were incredibly drawn-out. They could have handled both "seasons" in two episodes each. But Season 1 was FOUR episodes. I couldn't effing believe it. Yes, the story told in Season 1 had a lot of twists and turns and shady characters, but you could still tell that story tightly and clearly without draggggginggg it out like that. And, by the time it was all done and dusted, I was utterly over that star investigator. A legend in his own mind. Maybe he's all that and a bag of chips in real life, but he sure doesn't miss a chance to preen and pose and act for the cameras and it's so obvious he thinks he's a stah baby, a stah. 

Edited by Jeeves · Reason: Season does not equal episode
  • Like 2
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

They keep showing this older short haired woman in previews who says “And then he turned to me and said, Zany, I’m sleeping with one eye open!”. I’m sure it will be boring, but I need to know if her name is really Zany. 

 Her name is Sandy.   She's the aunt of Joshua Jenkins who murdered his parents, grandparents, and sister.   That clip was from the episode "Falling Down" of  American Monster.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/24/2019 at 4:28 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Anyone been to a social services office lately?  I have and man....there is security guard and metal detector. Visitors are issued numbers and called back individually, after first chatting with a rep who is behind a plastic window. She finds out why you're there and surveys the situation.  I guess that some people are on a watch list.  I get why they are so careful.  No way, that I would work in that type of setting. I can't even imagine those who have to do home visits. 

In my area, there was a case where a man shot and killed a DSS worker because he was ordered to support a child he claimed wasn’t his.(I don’t remember if DNA testing was done then.)

ETA:  It was in 1992, and four workers were killed(he then turned the gun on himself).

1992 AP article

Edited by smittykins
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7

Share this post


Link to post

I went in to the county MHMR office to see if my husband could get any therapy or treatment through the state (he was unemployed at the time).  There was an armed security guard who patted/wanded us down, and we had to go through a metal detector, and have our bags searched.

  • Like 3
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I went in to the county MHMR office to see if my husband could get any therapy or treatment through the state (he was unemployed at the time).  There was an armed security guard who patted/wanded us down, and we had to go through a metal detector, and have our bags searched.

Our main city government office buildings and courthouses here have security screening at the entrances. Fact of modern life. People get crazy, and get guns, and . . .

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Our main city government office buildings and courthouses here have security screening at the entrances. Fact of modern life. People get crazy, and get guns, and . . .

Oh, I get it.  Especially with the Mental Health office.  And this is a gun heavy area (lots of people hunt, and guns are plentiful).  Just sad that it has to be like that.  The MHMR office has 2 floors.  The first floor is the waiting room, and interview rooms (where you go to talk to a caseworker and give them info they need).  No one works downstairs.  They all work upstairs and only come down to interview people, which also makes sense to me, and I also find sad.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't really find the last two episodes of Web of Lies all that interesting.  Neither one was concerned an internet crime and were only about crimes that happened to people who also happened to use the internet, which is most of the population.  Are they running out of ideas?  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I know, I liked both episodes of Web of Lies but the theme was a stretch.

What really annoys me is American Monster. The episodes this season aren't  very 'monstery'. They could easily be on any show where a husband or wife offs the other spouse in a not very original way. The only criteria now seems to be does the narrator-relative-friend-whatever have home movies. They don't even need to be home movies that include the perpetrator for the most part. Not that the home movies aren't annoying in themselves. 

Oh look! There's Jimmy on the swings. And there's Susie on the swings. And there's Aunt Judy with a cocktail. And Uncle Eddie manning the barbecue. Oh, and here comes Agnes, with more steaks! Etc. Etc. And we have no idea who the 'monster' is supposed to even be, these people mean nothing to us for the first half of the episode. And they replay the same damn movies over and over and over again all episode. The whole series is just dumb, especially now that they aren't even showcasing exceptional crimes. They need to just put that series to bed.

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

The interesting thing about some of the more recent "American Monster" shows is how they start off with the implication it's the person who's getting the main focus thus far who committed the crime, and then all of a sudden somebody new who pops up in the home videos halfway through the episode winds up being the criminal in question. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

So just caught this Adam Shigawadja and Sophia Putney Wilcox episode on ID - another mother who I'd like to punch in the face.  Your son is violent and evil, but according to you the teen girl was at fault.

After months of abuse he breaks into his girlfriends bedroom, pours gasoline and sets it on fire while dragging her into the flames.  Her mom and brother are trying to get in the room to help her ... but, yes, Adam's mother, its totally Sophias fault.  Its mothers like her that create these dangerous pricks.  Clearly the kid has issues and she did little to manage his behavior.

That judge was stupid - glad the community called her out and basically forced her to give him the sentence he deserved - not just 3 years.

Sophia seemed like a nice kid - I'm glad she recovered - and she is so lucky to have such a protective brother.

Edited by sskrill
  • Like 5
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Oh look! There's Jimmy on the swings. And there's Susie on the swings. And there's Aunt Judy with a cocktail. And Uncle Eddie manning the barbecue. Oh, and here comes Agnes, with more steaks! Etc. Etc. And we have no idea who the 'monster' is supposed to even be, these people mean nothing to us for the first half of the episode. And they replay the same damn movies over and over and over again all episode. The whole series is just dumb, especially now that they aren't even showcasing exceptional crimes. They need to just put that series to bed.

Yep.  The repetition is annoying, and then "They don't know that in 4 months, life will change forever" stuff.  Duh.  

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/16/2019 at 12:24 AM, Tdoc72 said:

I told my hubs once I didn’t want to be described as the most wonderful beautiful person that ever lived if he needed to talk on Dateline. I said I’d be happy with a “yeah, she was alright.” 

Yes, I think most people fall in between "most wonderful, everyone loved him/her," and "she/he needed killin'"
I'm liking the Canadian series on ID, The Case that Haunts Me.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/27/2019 at 8:54 PM, Annber03 said:

The interesting thing about some of the more recent "American Monster" shows is how they start off with the implication it's the person who's getting the main focus thus far who committed the crime, and then all of a sudden somebody new who pops up in the home videos halfway through the episode winds up being the criminal in question. 

That's the problem with that show. The premise is they have all of these home movies of "normal" times. Unfortunately, not a lot of people actually took home movies so you end up with a lot of stories that may be bad but don't really rise to the "monster" status. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I just saw a commercial on HLN for something called Forensic Files II, coming February 2020.

(Isn't the narrator dead, though?)

Edited by LexieLily
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I just saw a commercial on HLN for something called Forensic Files II, coming February 2020.

(Isn't the narrator dead, though?)

Yes, Paul Thomas died in 2016 at age 91. He was, among other things, a decorated combat veteran of the European theater in WWII.

As a binge-watcher of FF repeats, I immediately recognized his voice narrating the introductory video at the WWI Museum in Kansas City when I visited a few years ago. 

7 hours ago, Jaded said:

Thanks for the link, @Jaded

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size