Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:33 PM, arejay said:

In the Jessica Chambers matter, remember Jerry King that "found" her keys? 

Say it like this: jERRYKing.

Just a thought......

This thought gave me chills.  As the prosecutor said, if you put the tongue to the top of your mouth and speak "Jerry," the "J" is impossible to pronounce.  Just "Jerry" alone could possibly have been mistaken for "Eric."  And Jerry King's criminal history is highly suspect.

Were I on that jury, I could not have voted to convict based solely on what we saw on the program.  That doesn't mean I believe Quinton Tellis is innocent of the crime - - I actually have zero clue if he did it or not -- but it wasn't proven beyond a reasonable doubt to me that he was responsible.  

• Love 5
7 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

And Jerry King's criminal history is

In the words of Kelly Siegler,  "I like him for it".

Sorry about the rest of the quote from psychoticstate, but you know what l meant.

• Love 2

The colonel is back!  A Dateline something, with Col. Russell Williams is repeating on OWN, next Sunday, 10/21 sometimes.

CORRECTION:  It's a 48 Hours, and it is Monday, 10/22, at 4AM.  It is on OWN.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 4
On 10/15/2018 at 11:26 AM, auntjess said:

The colonel is back!  A Dateline something, with Col. Russell Williams is repeating on OWN, next Sunday, 10/21 sometimes.

CORRECTION:  It's a 48 Hours, and it is Monday, 10/22, at 4AM.  It is on OWN.

Thanks....but dammit...I want the Dateline with Keith to repeat.  ?

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, ButterQueen said:

The show Shattered is so well done.  I love it.

Agreed. Every episode has been so emotional, and last night's was no exception. The poor father broke my heart, and then everything with Ken, and his daughter, was just...man. I felt so bad for that guy, being under that cloud of suspicion for so long. (and the boss being all, "You didn't call in to work" thing...uh, 'scuse me?). We all know that obviously the police will look at the husband at some point, of course, and if you don't have any other viable suspects right away, that can make clearing the name(s) of the suspect(s) you do have a little harder, too. But I still wish something could've happened that could've allowed him to be proven innocent a lot sooner. 

Spoiler

I was especially struck by how his life fell apart because he was simply suspected of committing a crime, while the guy who actually did it only served a short time in prison and got out on parole. Great logic there. 

Anywho, yeah, I'm glad this show's back.

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Agreed. Every episode has been so emotional, and last night's was no exception. The poor father broke my heart, and then everything with Ken, and his daughter, was just...man. I felt so bad for that guy, being under that cloud of suspicion for so long. (and the boss being all, "You didn't call in to work" thing...uh, 'scuse me?). We all know that obviously the police will look at the husband at some point, of course, and if you don't have any other viable suspects right away, that can make clearing the name(s) of the suspect(s) you do have a little harder, too. But I still wish something could've happened that could've allowed him to be proven innocent a lot sooner. 

Hide contents

I was especially struck by how his life fell apart because he was simply suspected of committing a crime, while the guy who actually did it only served a short time in prison and got out on parole. Great logic there. 

Anywho, yeah, I'm glad this show's back.

I felt so bad for him too.  His best friend showed up, wired for LE pretending to be concerned.  I’m so glad he told his story.

• Love 5
Just now, ButterQueen said:

I felt so bad for him too.  His best friend showed up, wired for LE pretending to be concerned.  I’m so glad he told his story.

For a moment I was afraid we'd find out that friend was responsible for the murder or something. But yeah, that was still a gut punch in its own right, for sure. It made me think about all the stories I've seen where people wear wires to get somebody to confess and most of the time we see the successful outcome of those moments, where they're able to nab somebody. Seeing that kind of scenario from the perspective of the person being recorded really brought home the issues that can come with that setup. It's something I'll definitely keep in mind going forward whenever I see those kinds of stories. 

I liked the guy's way with words, too, when he was talking about how people don't look pretty after five days in the sun, and, when commenting on the idea that God doesn't give one more than they can handle, "I just wish he didn't trust me so much." I certainly don't blame him for only wanting to tell his story one time, but the way he told it was very compelling indeed. 

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I liked the guy's way with words, too, when he was talking about how people don't look pretty after five days in the sun, and, when commenting on the idea that God doesn't give one more than they can handle, "I just wish he didn't trust me so much." I certainly don't blame him for only wanting to tell his story one time, but the way he told it was very compelling indeed. 

Yes, I liked him very much, too.  I was heartbroken at the way he was treated, and I sure wish he could sue someone for it!

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Hide contents

This is exactly why I couldn't even finish the episode. I really, really, really don't like to watch interviews with people who are still so torn up by a loved one's murder. I'd rather just have the cops and DA's and reporters, etc, give the facts. It's just too heart-wrenching.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

THE WEATHER CHANNEL???!!!??

Yeah, the angle with that show is seeing the ways in which weather helped or hindered an investigation. I caught the first episode when it premiered, and it wasn't bad, but it was really weird to see a true crime show on that particular channel :p. 

8 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

This is exactly why I couldn't even finish the episode. I really, really, really don't like to watch interviews with people who are still so torn up by a loved one's murder. I'd rather just have the cops and DA's and reporters, etc, give the facts. It's just too heart-wrenching.

I totally get that, yeah. It can be tough sometimes. Even the detective who worked these murders got emotional at one point as well-which is touching, in the sense that it's good to see investigators who care so much, but in terms of seeing how far-reaching the pain of these crimes went...yeah. It can be overwhelming to watch, too, for sure. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

I want to rewatch them all, and if I see it, I'll post.

Meanwhile--I've found another show, Storm of Suspicion on the Weather Channel.
http://weathergroup.com/newsroom/2018/10/03/weather-channel-debuts-new-original-program-storm-suspicion

I just found this too. We were watching  the weather channel about the hurricane and I saw the previews, I was like, what? Lol.  I have episodes recorded but haven't watched yet. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

ID network is debuting new shows next month. The 90's the Deadliest Decade and People Magazine Investigates. They start November 5th.

The 90s Deadliest Decade is probably a continuation of their previous series, The 80s Deadliest Decade.  Make up your mind, ID!  ;-)

And People Magazine Investigates is not new - it has a forum : http://forums.previously.tv/forum/2852-people-magazine-investigates/

• Love 7

Ok ... so ...

Jerry King was too big of a mess to testify in the second trial of Quinton Tellis. 

Tellis’ sister has ‘Eric’ tattooed on her hand ?!!? Was this mentioned before?   A former boyfriend?  Seems like another avenue that would have been investigated. No?  Was he the mysterious man at the crime scene?  Was the sister actually involved?  Could this be the reason Tellis is practically mute on proclaiming innocence?

Theres probably a half a dozen other things too but I’m hoping that others are still interested in the Jessica Chambers story to post. I’m hoping. 

I feel so bad for Jessica’s family.  

Edited by Ellee
removed 'Her poor father ...' because of an article I just read
  • Love 3

I don't think Quinton is the sweet boy his mama thinks he is, but there's just not enough evidence to convict him. Thank God rational people still understand the value of innocent until proven guilty.

The only thing that made me think he was guilty in the first trial was the cell phone data. But then that other expert who didn't testify explained why it wasn't valid. I was hoping to hear about that in the retrial, but I don't think it was touched on at all last night.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

I don't think Quinton is the sweet boy his mama thinks he is, but there's just not enough evidence to convict him. Thank God rational people still understand the value of innocent until proven guilty.

The only thing that made me think he was guilty in the first trial was the cell phone data. But then that other expert who didn't testify explained why it wasn't valid. I was hoping to hear about that in the retrial, but I don't think it was touched on at all last night.

Absolutely agree.

Something is sketchy AF with this entire thing.  Quinton's alibi was not called during the first trial (WHAT?) but they call him during the retrial and he contradicts what Quinton told the investigators?  Why was this "Big Mike" not called during the first trial?  It makes me think that his story changed.  

Quinton's sister really didn't do him any favors by testifying because it wasn't just her word against Big Mike's - - he was on a security camera alone during the time she claimed they were together.  It doesn't mean she was lying but she can't reliably say they were together all day long when they clearly weren't, at least during that time at the store.

I wasn't sure what to think about the charges that the prosecutor had attempted to bribe a former cellmate of Quinton's to testify that Quinton confessed to him or something.  

The speech therapist, or whatever they were, were washes to me.  It's possible for an expert to say that in their experience, this wasn't likely to happen but they cannot say with 100% certainty that Jessica couldn't have spoken.  There were too many emergency personnel who said that she did and those folks have ZERO reason to lie.  I imagine they very clearly remember what happened that night, unfortunately for them. 

And the biggest WTF of all - - the keys.  The strongest DNA test shows Quinton's DNA is NOT on the keys but the DNA of 4 people, besides Jessica, is - - including an unidentified male.  Was Jerry King's DNA ever tested?  And if not, WHY NOT?  He claims to have found the keys and picked them up so his DNA SHOULD be on them.  Why wasn't he called back to the stand for the retrial?  He allegedly found the only piece of physical evidence in the case.  No excuse for him not to be there.  The prosecution's excuse of not being able to find him is total bullshit. 

I'm believing more and more that Jerry King may have more to do with this case than simply finding the keys and the prosecution's inability to "find" him only supports that. 

Very sad for Jessica, who deserves justice.

• Love 4

Is there anyway to incorporate such shows as A Crime to Remember and People Magazine Investigates as well as any other true crime shows (yes, even Kenda) into this thread?  It seems like such a waste of time and bandwidth to keep jumping around from forum to forum. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Fable said:

Is there anyway to incorporate such shows as A Crime to Remember and People Magazine Investigates as well as any other true crime shows (yes, even Kenda) into this thread?  It seems like such a waste of time and bandwidth to keep jumping around from forum to forum. 

I think this thread is pretty much a catchall for ID shows since a lot of the posters here started out posting on the forum about the ID channel, and then TPTB decided to complicate things and make that forum only for discussion about the channel itself and not the shows. I don't know, but I'm thinking maybe those other forums that get started for ID shows are started by people who don't know about this forum or just want to talk about that one show. I think it's perfectly fine to talk about ACTR or People here, but when people mention there's an actual separate forum for it, I think they're just letting you know there's more discussion elsewhere, not that you can't talk about it here.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

I think this thread is pretty much a catchall for ID shows

It's pretty much a catchall for true crime on any channel.  There have been recent discussions here about the Jessica Chambers doc on Oxygen, Inside the Manson Cult on Fox, The Last Defense on ABC and plenty of others.  Feel free.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

It's pretty much a catchall for true crime on any channel.  There have been recent discussions here about the Jessica Chambers doc on Oxygen, Inside the Manson Cult on Fox, The Last Defense on ABC and plenty of others.  Feel free.

If I implied it was just for ID shows, that wasn't my intention. Fable just mentioned two shows that are on ID, so that's what I was addressing.

• Love 2

Hey, we're all just True Crime junkies looking for a safe place to shoot up.  The ID Channel forum was destroyed for us, and much as our Overlords try to conquer and divide by creating separate forums for all the shows we watch, we still gravitate back to this Mothership.  :-)

• Love 16

The thing is, while the shows may be different, a lot of the crimes are the same ones.
Who else watched the American Monster, about the family where dad had liquor store, and mom had beauty parlor?

Spoiler

Yes, it was awful that dad killed mom, but when he first started acting grumpy, and avoiding people, why didn't they get him to see a doctor?  
He could have been show signs of dementia, and they'd have been aware to keep an eye on him for other changes.

• Love 4

I bet they don't retry Tellis on the Jessica Chambers murder.  He probably did do it, imo, but, the evidence is just not there.  Like Jessica's father said, they would be wasting more time and money on something that isn't going to happen.  Tellis is very dangerous imo.  I wonder if other murder charges will make their way to him.

To me, LE would have likely gone after whoever the victim's boyfriend was that night, if they had been together under those circumstances.  I didn't see it them prosecuting because he was black, but, because of the circumstances.  

• Love 1

Does anybody know when Disappeared will be coming back to ID?

I feel really bad for anticipating the show's return because obviously it's very dark, but I'm both fascinated and terrified by how suddenly a person could just disappear with almost zero clues. 

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 3
On 10/19/2018 at 6:20 PM, Coffeewinewater said:

We were watching  the weather channel about the hurricane and I saw the previews, I was like, what? Lol.  I have episodes recorded but haven't watched yet. 

I got one or two recorded, but haven't watched yet.
I'm wondering if hurricane season may not be the best time to count on recording shows.

9 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

Did anyone see Kemper on Kemper on Oxygen? I thought he was so creepy I don't understand how he was able to lure girls into his car.

I would have.  He is intelligent off the chart, charming, witty, somewhat handsome.  Again, it was the luck of the draw that it WASN'T me; same area, same time.  Same with all the Santa Cruz killers (Manson family, too).  I guess I was hitchhiking a little too early in the day or something.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

Did anyone see Kemper on Kemper on Oxygen? I thought he was so creepy I don't understand how he was able to lure girls into his car.

I looked at a few minutes of it, and erased it.

Last night, during OWN's Thursday-night block of 20/20 episodes, they showed the one with Rebecca Babcock, whom Diane Downs conceived shortly after shooting her three oldest children and was taken by the state at birth.  I'm still surprised her adoptive parents were told who her birth mother was, considering closed adoption was still the norm then.

• Love 4

I just watched 20/20 on ID about Mark Twitchell ("The Dexter Killer").  The update stated that his latest parole hearing was in July of 2018, and he was denied parole.  He doesn't come up for another hearing until 2029.  I hope he dies in jail - the sooner the better.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, smittykins said:

Last night, during OWN's Thursday-night block of 20/20 episodes, they showed the one with Rebecca Babcock, whom Diane Downs conceived shortly after shooting her three oldest children and was taken by the state at birth.  I'm still surprised her adoptive parents were told who her birth mother was, considering closed adoption was still the norm then.

Ooh, yeah, I've seen that one before, too. That poor girl. Wasn't there a bit in there about how she was with a boyfriend once who wanted to watch some made-for-TV movie based off that case? I can't remember if he knew ahead of time about her history-I hope to God he didn't, 'cause otherwise that would be a truly asshole thing to do. 

I also remember her talking about having some rough times for a while and trying to sort her life out. I hope she's doing well.

• Love 3

Yes, it was the movie version of Ann Rule’s “Small Sacrifices” starring Farrah Fawcett.  At the end of the episode, it said that she was a straight-A college student and planned to go to medical school and become an OB-GYN.

BTW, here’s the Glamour article referenced in the episode.  Very informative.

Edited by smittykins
Add link
  • Love 4

I just got caught up on Home Alone, and I was absolutely SHOCKED that, in the latest episode, the woman being held hostage by her psycho ex boyfriend was actually home alone!  It's the first one that I've ever seen where there was only one person plus the perp, living up to the title!  I was floored that it finally happened.

Last weekend I watched that Kemper on Kemper nonsense and I was put out with all the blame heaped on Kemper's mother.  If he was so damn intelligent, he knew he wasn't killing those young girls as a stand in for his mother.  Just kill your damn mother, if she is such a terrible person.  He just wanted to kill young women and there weren't internet incel forums for him to chat on back then.  I was only happy with the one psychologist guy with the over-exaggerated moustache who said that they really only had Kemper's story to go on, and he was a criminal and a liar.  Sure, his mom might have been a bitch from hell, but that's zero excuse for killing young girls.  Plus, they never pinned any negligent parenting on the absentee father, the very person who couldn't deal with him and shipped him off to live with the grandparents Kemper murdered first.  Why was Kemper not out there killing dudes too, to get even with the absentee/negligent father?  It was all BS.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, Lizzing said:

I just got caught up on Home Alone, and I was absolutely SHOCKED that, in the latest episode, the woman being held hostage by her psycho ex boyfriend was actually home alone!  It's the first one that I've ever seen where there was only one person plus the perp, living up to the title!  I was floored that it finally happened.

I'm shocked! Every time I see a preview I remark that it should be called Hostage or something because they are never home alone. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 4
On 10/26/2018 at 6:08 AM, smittykins said:

It is odd they were told, but it was also odd that the prosecutor adopted the two surviving children too.   I know he developed a deep bond with the little girl as she was clinging to life, had a stroke and her long recovery.

• Love 2

Did anyone else watch the first part of The Disappearance of Phoenix Coldon tonight on Oxygen?  I feel so badly for her friends (especially her best friend) and parents and am very glad her case is getting some attention.  If only the police had taken Goldia seriously from the beginning.

I just watched The Disappearance of Phoenix Colden? I thought it was very well done. I thought her mom was rather controlling which led to her secret life. I doubt Phoenix is alive it's impossible to leave no trace of yourself for that long.

Sadly I agree.  Goldia was definitely controlling and overprotective (and doesn't even seem able to see the negative effect it had on her daughter) but is so clearly broken.  She's just going through the motions.

The selfie video Phoenix made shortly before her disappearance was heartbreaking.  She was in trouble.  Her best friend's comment that she didn't recognize that side of Phoenix was so sad.

• Love 1

Yes, the Phoenix case is odd. 

They said she left money and everything else behind so I don't think she left by choice.  

The details as a whole make the case confusing - why was her truck in ESL?  Did she have friends there?  How far was that from where she lived?  I missed a few minutes here and there - what did they think of the 2 Mikes?  I didn't get the impression that detectives thought either one was a likely suspect.

I think something was going on and she didn't think she could go to her parents to get help.  I'm guessing she turned to the wrong person to get her out of a jam and she paid for it with her life.  Its too bad, she seemed like a decent kid.

ETA:  And yes, her mother seemed very domineering - no doubt she would have been afraid to go to mom if she'd dones something wrong.

Edited by sskrill
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, sskrill said:

Yes, the Phoenix case is odd. 

I agree.  The mother is beyond odd and somewhat scary. I can easily see how Phoenix would never be able to confide or feel comfortable with her. She sat there at one point and said she wasn't going to tell all she knew.   What?  She claims no one did anything, but at the same time she probably withheld/obstructed the investigation. Everyone pointed to the mother being the biggest problem 

• Love 5
On 11/4/2018 at 12:23 PM, sskrill said:

The details as a whole make the case confusing - why was her truck in ESL?  Did she have friends there?  How far was that from where she lived?  I missed a few minutes here and there - what did they think of the 2 Mikes?  I didn't get the impression that detectives thought either one was a likely suspect.

I think something was going on and she didn't think she could go to her parents to get help.  I'm guessing she turned to the wrong person to get her out of a jam and she paid for it with her life.  Its too bad, she seemed like a decent kid.

ETA:  And yes, her mother seemed very domineering - no doubt she would have been afraid to go to mom if she'd dones something wrong.

East St. Louis is about 30 minutes away from where she lived.  She was north of ESL on the Missouri side, in the suburb of Spanish Lake.  I think her SUV was dumped in ESL and she could be anywhere.  There are plenty of wooded areas near her home and lots of abandoned buildings and grown up, empty lots in ESL.

In her selfie video, she was worried about the cops and losing herself.  And cellphone Mike's ex-girlfriend said something about him having clients (weirdly, neither the reporter or the investigator followed that up).  As walnutqueen said, drugs are the most likely explanation for everything. 

Sad story all the way around.

• Love 4

YES. Oh, my god, that woman. "He was trying to destroy my relationship with my children!" No, that was you, lady. You're the one who saw nothing wrong with letting a guy who had a criminal record for abusing an underage child be around your children. Any parent in their right mind would react the way her ex-husband did after finding out something like that. 

(To say nothing of the fact that he openly gave her an opportunity to break things off with these guys before immediately rescinding visitation rights. Some parents wouldn't even be that generous.)

• Love 5